Which first party game impressed you the most?

• Avowed

Votes: 112 6.8%
  • Clockwork Revolution

Votes: 310 18.9%
  • Fable

Votes: 381 23.3%
  • Hellblade II: Senua's Saga

Votes: 79 4.8%
  • South of Midnight

Votes: 131 8.0%
  • Starfield

Votes: 1,245 76.1%
  • Other (Towerborne, Forza Motorsport, Microsoft Flight Simulator, etc)

Votes: 94 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Diablo IV is great imo. So, I'm glad to see its success.

After my first play session in the open beta I thought to myself "this is gonna do numbers" because of how good it felt to play. It was probably my very first impression of it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

I know Blizzard is far from the industry darling it once was, but it's still a juggernaut of a studio that all signs point to only growing in the coming decade. They are going to be huge for MS not only across the console and PC space, but also in mobile via Hearthstone, Diablo Immortal, Warcraft Mobile, and presumably many more to come.

• Diablo IV is only going to continue to grow with seasonal updates, expansions, and price-drops.
  • Overwatch ain't going no where. If anything, I expect MS to double-down here due to its mass-market appeal + merchandising opportunities.
  • WoW is basically invincible.
  • And they've got Project Odyssey in the wings.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Guys I just asked a customer at my barbershop (who looked like a dirty casual) if he knew about the Acti/Blizz deal and old CoDs being playable on SX and he totally did. Word is getting around.

Joo

May 25, 2018
We don't have locked 4k 60 and big games like FF16, Starfield, and Jedi Survivor are falling short of 4k 60.
That's precisely why the Pro consoles are needed. Big games aren't hitting 4K/60 because that's the developers' decision and that's the only reason. Major releases will always have the problem that they are pushed to the edge in terms of visuals etc other gameplay elements that devs will often make compromises on something, whether it's choppy performance, low resolution on 60fps mode and so on. That won't be fixed until there's a Pro console that has the headroom for a smoother experience because the game is designed around the base model.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
That's precisely why the Pro consoles are needed. Big games aren't hitting 4K/60 because that's the developers' decision and that's the only reason. Major releases will always have the problem that they are pushed to the edge in terms of visuals etc other gameplay elements that devs will often make compromises on something, whether it's choppy performance, low resolution on 60fps mode and so on. That won't be fixed until there's a Pro console that has the headroom for a smoother experience because the game is designed around the base model.
I understand the why. It's the pricing that I don't understand.
S
Also, I don't think for a second they won't waste those increased resources on raytracing.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
So if PS does a Pro and Xbox doesn't, the biggest game each year (Call of Duty) is going to be played best (on consoles) on a competitor's console.

Maybe Xbox just won't do PS5 Pro enhancements 😈.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I understand the why. It's the pricing that I don't understand.
S
Also, I don't think for a second they won't waste those increased resources on raytracing.
Having dedicated ray tracing units allows developers to use RT without as much of a hit in performance as the current implementation from AMD. I think developers will absolutely use RT if they could and I also think Sony will pay developers to do so. I said it elsewhere but I think the marketing is going to be very similar to Nvidia's RTX ON/OFF, only now ray tracing is more familiar and a lot more game engines have it built in. Nvidia's issue was it was so brand new and no games had it.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Having dedicated ray tracing units allows developers to use RT without as much of a hit in performance as the current implementation from AMD. I think developers will absolutely use RT if they could and I also think Sony will pay developers to do so. I said it elsewhere but I think the marketing is going to be very similar to Nvidia's RTX ON/OFF, only now ray tracing is more familiar and a lot more game engines have it built in. Nvidia's issue was it was so brand new and no games had it.
That's what I'm talking about raytracing as available is a waste of resources. It'll be great marketing but it's a waste of resources currently, particularly with AMD.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
MS should just straightup make a MCC version but for the 360 CoDs. It'd work easily on Switch and people would buy the shit out of it.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
That's what I'm talking about raytracing as available is a waste of resources. It'll be great marketing but it's a waste of resources currently, particularly with AMD.
I disagree, I think RT GI/AO especially is very worth it. It's just not pushed as much because consoles suck at it. I think Pro consoles could change that as well as marketing deals will be tied to heavy RT implementations.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I disagree, I think RT GI/AO especially is very worth it. It's just not pushed as much because consoles suck at it. I think Pro consoles could change that as well as marketing deals will be tied to heavy RT implementations.
Even the latest AMD cards still kinda suck at RT i dont think throwing more onto an APU with thermal and architecture constraints is gonna dramatically improve the situation on console. Not this gen at least.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Even the latest AMD cards still kinda suck at RT i dont think throwing more onto an APU with thermal and architecture constraints is gonna dramatically improve the situation on console. Not this gen at least.
Latest AMD cards still rely on shader cores for RT no? Sony has a patent on a ray tracing unit and Kelper (chip industry insider/leaker) seems to suggest that RDNA4 will have much improved RT (probably dedicated ray tracing units like Nvidia's RT cores). Tom Henderson's reporting on PS5 Pro seems to align with that.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Latest AMD cards still rely on shader cores for RT no? Sony has a patent on a ray tracing unit and Kelper (chip industry insider/leaker) seems to suggest that RDNA4 will have much improved RT (probably dedicated ray tracing units like Nvidia's RT cores). Tom Henderson's reporting on PS5 Pro seems to align with that.
I just have less faith in AMD in producing super compelling results especially if this is some new paradigm in raytracing tech (to them). Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Jul 10, 2020
I just want Xbox to market better man.

They have a sorta tie-in with the biggest movie of the summer Barbie, and they can't put together a 20 second ad showcasing the Barbie movie, the Barbie car and then say "Play with Barbie's Dream Car in Forza Horizon 5, now on GamePass".

You'd get one Barbillion new subscribers.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
When Microsoft close the deal one of the first things they should do is get in touch with Digital Eclipse to make an Activision Classics collection like Atari 50.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I just want Xbox to market better man.

They have a sorta tie-in with the biggest movie of the summer Barbie, and they can't put together a 20 second ad showcasing the Barbie movie, the Barbie car and then say "Play with Barbie's Dream Car in Forza Horizon 5, now on GamePass".

You'd get one Barbillion new subscribers.
Xbox doesn't have the KENERGY.

Jul 10, 2020
Xbox doesn't have the KENERGY.

82089.gif

snattacatz.gif

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
I know Blizzard is far from the industry darling it once was, but it's still a juggernaut of a studio that all signs point to only growing in the coming decade. They are going to be huge for MS not only across the console and PC space, but also in mobile via Hearthstone, Diablo Immortal, Warcraft Mobile, and presumably many more to come.

• Diablo IV is only going to continue to grow with seasonal updates, expansions, and price-drops.
  • Overwatch ain't going no where. If anything, I expect MS to double-down here due to its mass-market appeal + merchandising opportunities.
  • WoW is basically invincible.
  • And they've got Project Odyssey in the wings.
Blizzard seems to even be doing better than when MS first announced the acquisition and hitting on almost all cylinders. OW2 still at its heart has some great things going for it, maybe MS and Blizzard can eventually figure it out.

Also cross product projects seem to be even more promising now, and AB should be a treasure trove - albeit MS probably historically has not had great success in that department.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Phil and Gaben should put their heads together and get Deck working on Windows.
Gabe doesn't want PC gaming to be dependent on Windows so that'll never happen. The entire reason for Proton and SteamOS is because they want to ensure they're safe if Microsoft ever starts cracking down on Windows (like the way they did with Windows S Mode).

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Kyle Bosman made a fun video about all these IP deals and games a couple of weeks ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCFKNlvOMDg

His opinion about this won't matter either way if the game is good.

If the game is good it's gonna lift the ip and also push more games to happen. If the game sucks it's just a big nothing and everyone moves on.

And just to add to this who the fuck thought the last 2 movies were good? I sure didn't. But that doesn't mean they can't start somewhere without Ford. The first 3 are 👍.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a link to a good BG3 video explaining the turn based combat? I watched a video or two on it there were parts where it looked like I could tolerate the mechanic. The little bit I've heard of the title sounds interesting...but the combat has to click for me to delve deeper into such a dense game.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
they had hive busters and have been doing lots of UE5 work, i'll let them cook!
2024 announce :)
I've been letting them cook but I'm starving for more Gears MP.

And the world keeps turning, would you look at that.

Next year is the year, believe!
No way 2024 passes by and we dont see Marcus fully rendered in UE5.

I wouldn't be surprised if it releases in 2024 since Mr. Booty said they have 2024 games that aren't even announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.