• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
In regards to Halo Infinite, I think think we may actually get a native 4K/60FPS Halo with that open world. Not sure about HDR but I hope they include that. It just seems like they got 1st dibs on XSX hardware and built their new engine around that to be able to meet that expectation.

HDR is in and from what I hear it is likely to be special.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Halo infinite on SX is not just about Res & FPS. But real next gen version and not just "Enhanced"

I expect something like FH2/ROTR so a real "next gen visual" game.

Last edited:

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
Damn Undead Labs don't play...
www.linkedin.com

Alan Van Slyke - Greater Seattle Area | Professional Profile | LinkedIn

View Alan Van Slyke’s professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world's largest business network, helping professionals like Alan Van Slyke discover inside connections to recommended job candidates, industry experts, and business partners.
New COO at Undead labs Former Chief Production officer at Sperasoft AAA partners, Lead Producer at Epic Games on Gears, Director of Production at Zipper interactive (MAG,SOCOM).

Undead Labs now has a world class leadership team. Their next title will be really ambitious.

Jeff Strain - Studio Head
Phillip Holt - Studio Head
Alan van slyke - COO
Ted Woolsey - General Manager
Ben Scott - Chief Technology officer
Steven Theodore - Technical Art Director
Austin Baker - Technical Art Director
Dru Staltman - Gameplay Technical Director
Jørgen Tjernø - Engine & Tooling Technical Director

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.linkedin.com

Florent Parage - Game Designer - Compulsion Games | LinkedIn

View Florent Parage’s profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community. Florent has 8 jobs listed on their profile. See the complete profile on LinkedIn and discover Florent’s connections and jobs at similar companies.
Florent Parage AI Game Designer on AC Valhalla join Compulsion Games

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.linkedin.com

Martin Hess - Orlando, Florida | Professional Profile | LinkedIn

View Martin Hess’ professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world's largest business network, helping professionals like Martin Hess discover inside connections to recommended job candidates, industry experts, and business partners.
Sr. Manager, Markets Strategy & Planning - Respawn Entertainment JOIN Microsoft as XBOX global product marketing.

And i 100% Believe that Halo infinite will be the most visually/technically impressive games of 2020.

nice!

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
Because it's a good game for people that want to play with their children or older people wanting to play with their grand children. Reviewers, heck even Jim Sterling, can't seem to realize that not every kid likes to play "Diablo!" or wants to play games with extremely deep story telling. Not all kids are gamers, and they will like what they will like, even if it is illogical to an adult.

It was a game that clearly showed just how out of touch game reviews have become with the general audience, it has become a "Electronic Gamers" thing, where kids and people that don't' identify as such are forgotten or seen as "filthy casuals". Even if people say they are against such thinking, it sadly is still controlling their thinking without knowledge sometimes.

If you want a good review of a game? Let kids and Non Gamers (like the Elderly) play it and see how easily it catches on with them. If they learn the mechanics quick.. than usually the mechanics are SOLID!

agree

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
Because it's a good game for people that want to play with their children or older people wanting to play with their grand children. Reviewers, heck even Jim Sterling, can't seem to realize that not every kid likes to play "Diablo!" or wants to play games with extremely deep story telling. Not all kids are gamers, and they will like what they will like, even if it is illogical to an adult.

It was a game that clearly showed just how out of touch game reviews have become with the general audience, it has become a "Electronic Gamers" thing, where kids and people that don't' identify as such are forgotten or seen as "filthy casuals". Even if people say they are against such thinking, it sadly is still controlling their thinking without knowledge sometimes.

If you want a good review of a game? Let kids and Non Gamers (like the Elderly) play it and see how easily it catches on with them. If they learn the mechanics quick.. than usually the mechanics are SOLID!
Completely agreed. Kind of makes me think, didn't Minecraft have poor reviews when it first launched? Can't think that Fornite and other massively popular games had raving reviews up front either.

Can't exactly blame the reviewers at large, as sometimes a game just doesn't personally jive with them. Judging an art form like a video game, with so much complexity and so many intermingling aspects (music, story, visual art, etc) is far too subjective an endeavor. Taking a metacritic is probably the safest route, but even then, you have sample bias as essentially the entire pool of reviewers are people who play video games for a living and that comes with certain expectations.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect way to evaluate art in any form. That's why letting other people influence how you feel about a game should not be a big factor, it's only how you feel that matters.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
HDR is in and from what I hear it is likely to be special.
HDR is the single best visual improvement to happen in the last decade so I can't wait to see how it's implemented. Hopefully they will release proper HDR footage. The lack of pre-release HDR trailers and videos even for recent AAA first party releases is an endless source of frustration.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Completely agreed. Kind of makes me think, didn't Minecraft have poor reviews when it first launched? Can't think that Fornite and other massively popular games had raving reviews up front either.

Can't exactly blame the reviewers at large, as sometimes a game just doesn't personally jive with them. Judging an art form like a video game, with so much complexity and so many intermingling aspects (music, story, visual art, etc) is far too subjective an endeavor. Taking a metacritic is probably the safest route, but even then, you have sample bias as essentially the entire pool of reviewers are people who play video games for a living and that comes with certain expectations.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect way to evaluate art in any form. That's why letting other people influence how you feel about a game should not be a big factor, it's only how you feel that matters.
Jup, I started getting more distant from reviews, when I really liked games.. and reviewers just hated it. After a few of those I just realized I liked different things from what the majority of electronic gamers liked. And just bought the thinks I liked without caring any longer. :P. I hardly by AAA games any more, as Indie games are miles ahead of them in gameplay usually :).

Teuthex

May 31, 2019

It was a game that clearly showed just how out of touch game reviews have become with the general audience, it has become a "Electronic Gamers" thing, where kids and people that don't' identify as suck are forgotten or seen as "filthy casuals". Even if people say they are against such thinking, it sadly is still controlling their thinking without knowledge sometimes.

I haven't played Minecraft Dungeons yet (it looks like a good choice for playing casually with my friends), but I was a bit surprised when Jim was saying on his podcast that "Microsoft still thinks that Minecraft is for kids, but those kids are teenagers now!" This isn't true. Older kids love Minecraft, but really young kids love it too, and there aren't many games on non-Nintendo/mobile platforms for kids under 10, and for console gaming to survive, kids (and non-gamers too!) need somewhere to start with. Exposing these kids to a diverse range of genres is also important too.

While reviewers are probably correct in saying that it could have had more depth without ruining it for kids, with couch co-op, Dungeons seems like it has great potential as a family game, and those games are important for inexperienced players to learn how to play. I know LEGO Star Wars will always hold a special place in my heart for being one of my first games I actually enjoyed when I was trying to get into gaming as an adult, because I definitely would have quit if every experience was as difficult for a new gamer as Halo 3 on very easy!

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played Minecraft Dungeons yet (it looks like a good choice for playing casually with my friends), but I was a bit surprised when Jim was saying on his podcast that "Microsoft still thinks that Minecraft is for kids, but those kids are teenagers now!" This isn't true. Older kids love Minecraft, but really young kids love it too, and there aren't many games on non-Nintendo/mobile platforms for kids under 10, and for console gaming to survive, kids (and non-gamers too!) need somewhere to start with. Exposing these kids to a diverse range of genres is also important too.

While reviewers are probably correct in saying that it could have had more depth without ruining it for kids, with couch co-op, Dungeons seems like it has great potential as a family game, and those games are important for inexperienced players to learn how to play. I know LEGO Star Wars will always hold a special place in my heart for being one of my first games I actually enjoyed when I was trying to get into gaming as an adult, because I definitely would have quit if every experience was as difficult for a new gamer as Halo 3 on very easy!
YEah, also was surprised by that. But didn't wish to push it too much, as he has his reasons, and that might not be a reason he can help. Like how reviewers don't understand why some games are very good for the audience they are aimed at. And people forget Consoles are a TOY, and toys are for kids of all ages 😜.

(That doesn't mean games can't be art, but some of us need to lighten up sometiems ;)).

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For Halo Infinite, its Forge I am massively curious about. I love Forge but it has certainly been held back by an aging engine. As good as Halo5 Forge was, it was still lacking. I really wonder what tools they will give for Infinite.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Halo Infinite also releasing on current gen?
Yup, but the engine is built future Xbox hardware, 343i would've been in direct contact with Jason Ronalds team. Slipspace is supposed to carry Halo for the next decade so it needs to robust at scaling. Its going to be a stunner on Xbox SX. I feel nervous for Xbox One/S only gamers though, but visual fidelity probably doesn't matter to those that intend to play on there.

Last edited:

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
343 are a visual powerhouse imo. Halo 4 was one of the best looking games last gen, and Halo 5 looks fantastic despite the sacrifices to meet 60FPS (couple of screens I took)
fizie_halo5guardians_80kdc.jpg
fizie_halo5guardians_ukj5s.jpg

I've no reason to doubt 343's visual capabilities with Halo infinite, even with their priorities being latency, frame rate etc.

:)

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020

I know it's his schtick, but he can sometimes be such a gaming elitist that it's frustratingly negative and reinforces the gatekeeping impression that a lot of hardcore gamers can give off.

I hate gatekeeping in every form, but in stuff I'm passionate about like games ("this feature is too simplistic, hence it appeals to a casual audience, hence it is bad") or sports ("I've been a fan of this team since the beginning, you have NO RIGHT to become a fan now that they're in the playoffs, bandwagoner!") are particularly frustrating.

COME ONE, COME ALL, BANDWAGON FANS!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I highly doubt that. Unless 343 is doing 2 different version of the game I can't see it being the best of the best this year.

You what love?

Why not?
343 have been able to make absolutely stunning games in the past, Halo 5 being 60fps was borderline magic.

Given extra horsepower a brand new engine and knowledge gathered from the generation I could easily see Halo Infinites only competition this year being Cyberpunk 2077.

If they need to tone down number of NPC to run on the base console they can do that, graphical settings they can push down to potato mode if need be.
But the Series X and Ampere versions of the game are gonna be mind melting.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah 343 are visual magicians , hard to believe Halo 4 looking as good as it does came out on the 360. Not gelled with their art direction but now that's going back to Halo's roots , on insanely powerful new hardware ? It should be a match made in heaven.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
My hope is SOD3 push the realism/immersion like Red dead redemption 2.

And I hope they will reproduce the realistic scale.

We have to be under pressure just to search a super market. Now imagine we are in a big city reproduced on a realistic scale, with Ray tracing sound design, ultra immersing etc ... it would change the whole game.
My hope as well. Imagine searching a looted hardware store with thousands of usable items to rummage through.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
In regards to Halo Infinite, I think think we may actually get a native 4K/60FPS Halo with that open world. Not sure about HDR but I hope they include that. It just seems like they got 1st dibs on XSX hardware and built their new engine around that to be able to meet that expectation.
Good thing it was "held back" by the Xbox One ;)

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just the narrative I've seen over the last few weeks that the Series X is somehow being held back by the One. A narrative I disagree with. We're obviously in for a treat with Infinite. I wouldn't be surprised in the least of it was 4K/60 on Series X.
I'm a big XBox fan but it's a no-brainer to me that if you're building a game whose AI and other game mechanics have to scale down to a Jaguar CPU then you're not going to have the same kind of game as if you were targeting the new gen solely as your baseline.

Which is why I suspect we'll see Halo Infinte @ 30fps on X1 and 60fps on SX among other things.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just the narrative I've seen over the last few weeks that the Series X is somehow being held back by the One. A narrative I disagree with. We're obviously in for a treat with Infinite. I wouldn't be surprised in the least of it was 4K/60 on Series X.
People fail to realize there's no making up for time and resources for the highest tier of AAA games. Nor how the switch to x86 architecture by both Xbox and PS has accelerated the efficiency of scalability in engines.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
They are going to huge effort (and expense) beyond anything I'm aware of in a game so far.
Pretty exciting stuff, especially when you consider that similar investments are being made across the board for audio/visual. Man, I can't believe we still know nothing about the game given how huge it seemingly is going to be.

I am curious how they'll get by on XBO, as the 30fps enemy animations were super distracting in H5. Do they go 30fps for campaign, (XBO) which is clearly going to be pretty large in scope, and then 60fps for MP across the board?

Not too long until we find out...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big XBox fan but it's a no-brainer to me that if you're building a game whose AI and other game mechanics have to scale down to a Jaguar CPU then you're not going to have the same kind of game as if you were targeting the new gen solely as your baseline.

Which is why I suspect we'll see Halo Infinte @ 30fps on X1 and 60fps on SX among other things.
I guarantee Halo Infinite will be one of the most impressive games, if not the most impressive, at launch. Once again it takes time and resources to really make full use of upgraded specs and be able to design accordingly.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I wonder if MS is going to postpone whatever they were going to show in June. They seemingly got kind of lucky scheduling their big event for July.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Slipspace could also work on future XGS shooting games, but yeah i doubt it will works well on other genre.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020

I agree in a general sense, but those games probably aren't going to be ready to release for another year or two on either platform.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is reasonable to assume, but Slipspace was built with this pain point in mind, and I doubt the designers would feel launching the game on Xbox SX to show a prettier Xbox One game would be acceptable or even satisfactory for them and the team. They took 5 years off for this custom Xbox engine, with direct input from MS hardware/software team. I feel we're all going to be surprised.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Hmm well, it's happened with several games both game pass and not. It looks like achievements are still tracking but not updating in stats since they're still popping. The game time still remains an issue and hopefully that gets fixed soon but it's not that big of a deal.

Anyway, I've been really impressed with the direction that Xbox is going in. I have a massive backlog of Xbox exclusives that I have never played due to mainly being a Playstation gamer so that should keep me occupied until next gen.

I went back and checked a few games and it seems to be pretty random, some game pass games are tracking and some games I bought aren't. Same with achievements, they weren't popping for the Kingdom Hearts collection, but now I'm playing Yakuza Kiwami and they are.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah exactly. It's not that hard to understand that graphically and design wise there will be some limitations with Infinite because it also is being developed for XB1. Has any crossgen game(edit: not counting crossgen games developed separately) ever looked as good or better than the best looking non crossgen games releasing around the same timeframe? Doubt it.

Doesn't mean the game can't look great and can't be an overall excellent game though. I think it will be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.