Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you linking to a (at a cursory glance) fanboy twitter account? The Xbox dev environment coming in hot isn't new info. DF has been hinting at it for a while and other insiders. We have known for a long time that Xbox has built a new development platform, that is always going to take a while for devs to learn and have issues.
I saw an xbox podcast and dealer gaming and thought it was xbox related? I didn't "vet" his timeline, I dont just assume people are idiots. But after you mentioned this I perused it and it seems completely harmless? Unless enjoying/having a preference for playstation automatically means "playstation fanboy/troll" then idk what to tell you. Does it really matter though? The point I was making was based off direct quotes/words from a dev whos made a game for both PS5 and XSX

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
yeah DF said the same after ACV video, but as ever will always get lost/forgotten with certain folks... :)

EmyfdRCXUAA_Yo2
Wait people are texting John now?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
yeah DF said the same after ACV video, but as ever will always get lost/forgotten with certain folks... :)

EmyfdRCXUAA_Yo2
"More beautiful"?
Both versions are nearly identical, plus CoD: Warzone just got upgraded to 120fps on XSX while remaining at 60fps on PS5.

If John is right and GDK is only in its early days, I would expect even bigger advantages in the future.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand AC Valhalla not enabling the most basic of basics: vsync on Series X.

Lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I still don't understand AC Valhalla not enabling the most basic of basics: vsync on Series X.

Lol
It's weird seeing all these reports of tearing.. playing it on a C9 there isn't any tearing at all! VRR I guess.

Compared again XSX to the game running Ultra on my rtx3080 last night (thanks Ubisoft+) and honestly you'd be hard pressed to see a difference without going in to detail. I prefer it on the XSX because there are stutters on PC as you go to new areas etc (shader compilation?) whilst on XSX it's super smooth. I also don't have to mess around with the Ubi launcher etc on XSX just to play the game lol. Loving the XSX - a PC-like experience without the hassle.

I realise games like Watch Dogs Legion will show a much bigger gap but I'm at a point where the next gen consoles are more than "good enough" that I don't feel like I need to gravitate towards playing on PC instead. It's a great feeling. Very happy for this gen.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

This is super cool! I checked out the ImPOCinPlay hashtag, and I have to say, it's FILLED with Sony devs (SSM, Naughty Dog, Insomniac) and Riot devs lol. I don't know if it became like a viral thing where people in those studios saw their friends doing it so it snowballed (probably) and/or a size of the studio thing (probably), but I definitely wish I had seen more Xbox represented in that hashtag! Some of these tweets got thousands of likes.. But yea. Cool to see diversity in gaming getting a (small) boost of visibility.

Yea, interesting. Clearly consoles are doing better than ever (granted, remember, people thought consoles were gonna die in 2013). 1/3 Series S is actually a pretty impressive ratio. Expected there to be fewer Series S available, but looks like they apportioned pretty well, actually.

Just doing my weekly mention of Krome studios.

Also I agree that Sumo is worth working with again, there just aren't that money for hire studios that can make games at that scale and of that variety. Also give Crackdown another chance, reboot it with a Japanese studio and add combo based melee combat please. Or better, do Crackdown 4 with Sumo and then do a Japanese developed spinoff, Crackdown Tokyo 2060. Crackdown Cinematic Universe go.
Crackdown Tokyo (or Japanese techno-future-fusion with American influences - maybe like the future neon San Francisco from Big Hero 6) might actually get some people excited about Crackdown again haha.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Crackdown Tokyo (or Japanese techno-future-fusion with American influences - maybe like the future neon San Francisco from Big Hero 6) might actually get some people excited about Crackdown again haha.

Looking at some of the prepro stuff for CD3, it was certainly going in that sort of direction. It actually looks like they wanted to kind of re-imagine the first game's worldbuilding with Shai Gen and Los Muertos (who was also shown in the announcement trailer).

I'm still one of the oddballs around here who's hoping for a new CD game. Avalanche might be a pretty plausible candidate to handle the project but then again I'm sure that MS would only greenlight it if its a pitch that focuses on the mistakes of CD3's final reception.

Still gonna go ahead and say that CD4 should be an RPG where you can choose the fate of your Agent. Like side with the agency or become a rebel would be a pretty cool touch IMO. Being a super-agent or a super-villain.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I played Cold War's campaign at 4K60 w/ RT and it was beautiful. just a stellar looking game. just gave multiplayer a shot at 1440p120 and holy shit, it feels INCREDIBLE. This is some crazy shit, can't wait to play Halo Infinite at 120fps.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Just doing my weekly mention of Krome studios.

Also I agree that Sumo is worth working with again, there just aren't that money for hire studios that can make games at that scale and of that variety. Also give Crackdown another chance, reboot it with a Japanese studio and add combo based melee combat please. Or better, do Crackdown 4 with Sumo and then do a Japanese developed spinoff, Crackdown Tokyo 2060. Crackdown Cinematic Universe go.

Crackdown needs to be left in the graveyard where it belongs. Still mildly annoying that Phil/Xbox wasted time and cash on that dodo.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
My predictions:

TGA:

- Hellblade 2 trailer.

- The Initiative's game trailer.

E3 event in the summer is called #Xbox+Bethesda:

- Starfield reveal, launching late 2021 (like in November).

- Wolfenstein 3 reveal, launching early 2022.

- Arkane Austin's new game reveal, launching late 2022.

- Halo Infinite multiplayer and campaign demos, launching in September or October (a month gap between it and Starfield).

- Microsoft Flight Simulator launches in the summer, too.

- CrossfireX launches late 2021 (yep it's gonna be delayed).

- Psychonauts 2 launches in around August.

- Compulsion's new game reveal, launching in late 2022.

- Grounded's definitive version launches in August 2021 or around that time.

- Forza Motorsport launching in early 2022.

- Forza Horizon 5 is teased, launching in September 2022.

- Double Fine's new game announced.

- Small updates on Fable, Avowed and Hellblade 2. Of those three I think that Hellblade 2 could launch in 2022. Fable and Avowed will probably launch in 2023.

Things like Inxile's first project could be announced there too, but I'm not sure.

I can see a lot of that happening (specially The Initiative game on the TGA), but for me is too early to start talking about E3.

Also, I'm not sure if it's better to combine two conferences (Xbox and Bethesda) , I'd say the best thing is to use Bethesda conference as a secondary conference to promote every Bethesda game launching on Game Pass, and show actual gameplay from Bethesda games. Some (not all) announcements, trailers and teaser could move to Xbox conference.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown needs to be left in the graveyard where it belongs. Still mildly annoying that Phil/Xbox wasted time and cash on that dodo.

Phill is a huge Crackdown fan. Series isn't AAA or anything. It was always an arcadish good fun game but being on X1 and the massive delays made it a total media joke.

I don't believe it deserved all this hate thrown at it.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I can see a lot of that happening (specially The Initiative game on the TGA), but for me is too early to start talking about E3.

Also, I'm not sure if it's better to combine two conferences (Xbox and Bethesda) , I'd say the best thing is to use Bethesda conference as a secondary conference to promote every Bethesda game launching on Game Pass, and show actual gameplay from Bethesda games. Some (not all) announcements, trailers and teaser could move to Xbox conference.
The "Xbox+Bethesda" wording I think is going to be used more moving forward. I think it makes sense to make a combined event. That way it doesn't feel like Bethesda is now part of Xbox' E3 event, but more like two companies that are on the same level are partnering up to make an special event every year.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Any hopes and dreams for X1/360 games that get framerate boosts like they showed with Fallout 4?

Personally, I really hope the Prey/Dishonored games get a fps boost. Arkane seems to really nail level design but all of their games are stuck at a capped 30fps on consoles.

Scorpius

May 19, 2018
Any hopes and dreams for X1/360 games that get framerate boosts like they showed with Fallout 4?

Personally, I really hope the Prey/Dishonored games get a fps boost. Arkane seems to really nail level design but all of their games are stuck at a capped 30fps on consoles.

My Series X double framerate games wishlist:

- Gears 1 Ultimate
- Gears 2, 3, 4
- Sunset Overdrive
- GTA 5
- Forza Horizon 3
- RDR 2
- Ryse: Son of Rome
- A Plague Tale: Innocence

craven68

Jun 20, 2018

For me :
Kingdom Heart 3 in 4k mode 60fps
Ryse and quantum break upscale and 4k60fps
Lost odyssey 4k upscale
Ff15 60fps mode in 4k
Star Wars fallan order 60fps mode in 4k
Red dead rédemption 2 60fps mode or even juste unlock

It coule be Nice to get some Ray tracing update on older games like Minecraft, quake 2

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Question I've been thinking about:

The other day, someone did that "you have $15, who on this list do you buy?"thing, and Moon Studios was one of them. Somebody replied something along the lines of "Moon could never happen, you might as well take it off the list." Why is that? Playing Ori as my premiere XSX launch game has really got me wondering why they never became a part of XGS - is there some bad blood there or something?
The thing with all these acquisition talks is we assume all these independent studios who look like category fits on paper, actually want to sell out to a larger corporation. And Microsoft is not in the business of hostile takeovers.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Do we know games that are coming on gamepass ?
If i remember right, last year Microsoft had a lot of games for the end of the year

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Do we know games that are coming on gamepass ?
If i remember right, last year Microsoft had a lot of games for the end of the year

Most of them have already come out. Still some FF titles which have yet to hit the service though.

news.xbox.com

Xbox Game Pass at X019: Announcing Over 50 New Games, and Ultimate Holiday Offer - Xbox Wire

Hi friends! I know we’re not ready for the holidays to be here just yet, but I have been holding this news in for so long that I can’t wait any longer to share it with you. We have so many good games, and some unbelievably amazing partnerships; my early holiday gift is to be […]

I don't expect too much other stuff for this month with the EA Vault being added recently. Curious what December brings. DQ11 is definitely something I'm looking forward to :)

With no X0 this year, I'm also eager to see/hear what MS will show at TGA or Geoff's show. Been a weird year so anything can happen at this point honestly.

1 gift from Hubi

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Hubi Hubi!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Hubi said:
Here is a code for Little Nightmares, sadly uk only.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Xbox One Xbox One: Little Nightmares - Won by WastedDeer WastedDeer (43 entries)

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Good to know im not alone in thinkin that :)

GameOn have posted a great interview with TechBoss, some nice insight about XSX hardware. Speaking candidly, (and do forgive me if i misquote), but implied XSX SDK came in hot, impossible for launch games to really utilise hardware, these machines come in too late into the process, not enough time to understand intricacies and enable them to update their engine to take advantage of whats available, fortunately they anticipated one key advantage afforded to them with next gen CPU's, which is hyper-threading, they switched their engine to it, Dirt5 in game took up 5ms frametime (out of 8ms budget), lots of room left to do more @120 (XSX CPU is nuts). GPU side, RDNA2 being so new, alot is unknown in terms of how leverage the architecture, will take some time to understand, but extremely excited about what theoretically can be achieved, lots of room for optimisation, literally just scratched the surface of what can be done. Next year or two we should see amazing things.

Oh, and covid has REALLY hampered things, 120fps challenging to test due to TV firmware not being ready, alot of this is all new, compounded by WFH, scattered access to resources etc.

(timestamped)

Yeah not surprising. I suspect we will start to see more of a difference in multiplat games over the next year+

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Why are you linking to a (at a cursory glance) fanboy twitter account? The Xbox dev environment coming in hot isn't new info. DF has been hinting at it for a while and other insiders. We have known for a long time that Xbox has built a new development platform, that is always going to take a while for devs to learn and have issues.

That same dirt dev called the xsx a beast multiple times in another video interview and how he loved working with it, so yeah perceptions :), we all know the early pains devs have with new kit and dev tools, i mean even the ps5 games are having numerous glitches and bugs being posted all over, this happens with a new gen, we all know things will get better over time once all devs get a handle on tools and hardware and we will see some truly special stuff i have no doubts.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
My predictions:

TGA:

- Hellblade 2 trailer.

- The Initiative's game trailer.

E3 event in the summer is called #Xbox+Bethesda:

- Starfield reveal, launching late 2021 (like in November).

- Wolfenstein 3 reveal, launching early 2022.

- Arkane Austin's new game reveal, launching late 2022.

- Halo Infinite multiplayer and campaign demos, launching in September or October (a month gap between it and Starfield).

- Microsoft Flight Simulator launches in the summer, too.

- CrossfireX launches late 2021 (yep it's gonna be delayed).

- Psychonauts 2 launches in around August.

- Compulsion's new game reveal, launching in late 2022.

- Grounded's definitive version launches in August 2021 or around that time.

- Forza Motorsport launching in early 2022.

- Forza Horizon 5 is teased, launching in September 2022.

- Double Fine's new game announced.

- Small updates on Fable, Avowed and Hellblade 2. Of those three I think that Hellblade 2 could launch in 2022. Fable and Avowed will probably launch in 2023.

Things like Inxile's first project could be announced there too, but I'm not sure.
Has a game been revealed 2 years in a row at TGA before?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always interesting to me how everybody has differing interpretations of stuff

see thread of tweets below the linked tweet above for summary

Having listened to it, it doesn't sound like the dev kit is immature nor difficult at all, at least for Codemasters.

What I found interesting was that games built for DX12 tend to perform really well on Xbox consoles.

If you consider most games get PC versions, if built around DX12u, theoretically Xbox should still remain the best version.

But per the dev, I guess it'll come down to "fast and narrow" vs "wide and slow", we'll see which ends up delivering better looking/performing versions of games.

Look at point 4 of that tweet thread, David mentioned the tools weren't lacking in the context of support for older Xboxes, and provided efficiencies for Xbox One, but didn't mention next gen Xboxs, the Twitter user mistook that for XSX. I also took the answer about tools lacking as his devs team's ability to circumvent gaps through their experience with DX, he's obviously trying to avoid any shade being thrown at Sony/MS.

Also forgot to mention David was singing praises of XSX SSD, with early tests he saw 10gb data loading in 2 seconds, (are MS underselling their SSD yeilds?), and that was very early into Dev (he was providing feedback to MS).

But yeah, seems to bring up PS5s balancing act of thermals based on usage positively, and ultimately concludes there's tradeoffs and it's mostly about how you architect your game in terms of how much you'll be able to squeeze out of these machines. I think MS having such a large resource of talent that are specifically strong with PC (ID, Coalition, BGS research teams) they'll be focused on improving tools for GDK which will position their environment favourably with multiplatform devs in the west, build a game and be able to branch out multiple different platforms from a central base. I think it's an aspect of MS next gen plan, shift the dev community towards Xbox, and if so it's a stroke of genius. The amount of consoles sold usually determines the lead platform, but if MS manage to change that as a business decision, by providing the opportunity to compose multiple versions from the same core (inc cloud version), reducing potential costs of having to create individual builds per environment, I could see publishers being extremely keen on integrating that change. And that means more devs trying to innovate with XSX, to push it as much as they can as a priority. Let's see how this plays out.

Last edited:

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
No, I don't think so. But I don't think it would be weird to show a reveal trailer in 2019 and a more in-game trailer in 2020, maybe.
I would be happy to some HB2 gameplay, but IDK if it's something TGA's showrunners would go for this year.
Yeah, Hellblade 2 trailer at the TGA seems unlikely to me for that reason. Not sure about the Initiative's game, either.
I think a Fable trailer or a Forza trailer is more likely at TGAs.
Might be good opportunity for Everwild to flaunt it's might again.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
After some more back and forth with Microsoft they are now sending me a new one as soon as they have one. I can keep the broken console for now. That way I can at least play the couple of games that do work.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Look at point 4 of that tweet thread, David mentioned the tools weren't lacking in the context of support for older Xboxes, and provided efficiencies for Xbox One, but didn't mention next gen Xboxs, the Twitter user mistook that for XSX. I also took the answer about tools lacking as his devs team's ability to circumvent gaps through their experience with DX, he's obviously trying to avoid any shade being thrown at Sony/MS.

Also forgot to mention David was singing praises of XSX SSD, with early tests he saw 10gb data loading in 2 seconds, (are MS underselling their SSD yeilds?), and that was very early into Dev (he was providing feedback to MS).

But yeah, seems to bring up PS5s balancing act of thermals based on usage positively, and ultimately concludes there's tradeoffs and it's mostly about how you architect your game in terms of how much you'll be able to squeeze out of these machines. I think MS having such a large resource of talent that are specifically strong with PC (ID, Coalition, BGS research teams) they'll be focused on improving tools for GDK which will position their environment favourably with multiplatform devs in the west, build a game and be able to branch out multiple different platforms from a central base. I think it's an aspect of MS next gen plan, shift the dev community towards Xbox, and if so it's a stroke of genius. The amount of consoles sold usually determines the lead platform, but if MS manage to change that as a business decision, by providing the opportunity to compose multiple versions from the same core (inc cloud version), reducing potential costs of having to create individual builds per environment, I could see publishers being extremely keen on integrating that change. And that means more devs trying to innovate with XSX, to push it as much as they can as a priority. Let's see how this plays out.
No they are not. That's about what they stated on the spec sheet. It is 4.8gb/s compressed which is ~10gb in 2 secs.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Might be good opportunity for Everwild to flaunt it's might again.
Considering that they are still unsure about the direction of the game, another Everwild trailer is probably unlikely. I think Microsoft probably learned their lesson with the Halo debacle and they're unlikely to show games in early development from now on.

Personally, I'm hoping for a surprise Starfield trailer at TGAs. It's likely the closest (soon-to-be) Microsoft's 1st party game bar Halo. After all the negative press about how XSX is a great console that doesn't have any exclusives, Microsoft will want to correct that narrative as soon as possible. If Starfield isn't at TGAs, then I expect a Wolfenstein 3 trailer (or whatever MachineGames is working on.) Bethesda may not be part of Microsoft officially yet, but nothing would stop them from putting out trailers as an independent publisher with "available on XSX/S and PC" at the end.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Considering that they are still unsure about the direction of the game, another Everwild trailer is probably unlikely. I think Microsoft probably learned their lesson with the Halo debacle and they're unlikely to show games in early development from now on.

Personally, I'm hoping for a surprise Starfield trailer at TGAs. It's likely the closest (soon-to-be) Microsoft's 1st party game bar Halo. After all the negative press about how XSX is a great console that doesn't have any exclusives, Microsoft will want to correct that narrative as soon as possible. If Starfield isn't at TGAs, then I expect a Wolfenstein 3 trailer (or whatever MachineGames is working on.) Bethesda may not be part of Microsoft officially yet, but nothing would stop them from putting out trailers as an independent publisher with "available on XSX/S and PC" at the end.

Yup I see too many new xbox users.

They need to reassure on this point. Especially since the stocks will be present again at early 2021, they need to have a very good offer.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
By this logic, they shouldn't even show games launching in 3 months, as Halo was. I'm pretty sure if they're confident something is going to please fans and turn heads, they'll show it, no matter when it's coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.