• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think by 2025 Xbox will have acquired
1.Sega
2.Bungie
3.Fromsoftware
This is assuming gamepass takes off.
Sega, from software will come before that for sure, asobo, dontnod and the long rumored polish studio too, then maybe the studio making as dusk falls if they like the game and playful for smaller studios centered around gamepass.

Bungie I dont believe for a second.

For a longshot, another big publisher, and my personal wish remedy.

Moon studios will remain indendent.

This will be 2020-2022. 2025 is too far away to predict thesd things, if gamepass takes off with huge numbers you will see crazier acquisitions than what I said above by then.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I really doubt Starfield is a cross gen game. Todd said they'd rewritten the game engine keeping the next gen in mind. So I doubt the game would run on Jaguar CPU. Bethesda's games were always CPU intensive, and they never made cross-gen games. Oblivion was released on Xbox 360 and PC only despite the install base being still small.
Theyve always talked about starfield as being too much for current hardware to handle, so its going to be next gen exclusive
I guess I never considered that possibility. Huh. Interesting. Just based on that, then, I could see them taking quite a bit of extra time to get used to the dev kit. Doesn't sound like Spring 2021 for XSX is reasonable?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yes, I agree with you folks, I think the cross gen period will last from launch till the end of 2021 and thats it.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Its november people. We are here.

9 more sleeps to go! Jeez, the more news I read about next gen the less I wanted to play on my One X, ended up selling it haha.

What excites me more than anything is the potential my library and GP titles have, have quite a few games still sat in backlog.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Man, Jez was pretty damning of 343i in Rand's recent podcast.

Why does everyone give Phil a pass in this?
Halo Infinite should never have been the sole launch game. It doesn't make sense. There should have been another game, preferably something family friendly.
A killer instinct sequel or a Banjo Kazooie game would not command a massive budget and could have been a great stop gap to hold the fort until Halo Infinite.

Even the ray traced Minecraft game would have sufficed. Or accelerating the console release of Flight Simulator as a next gen showcase.

I personally don't mind, either way, since it will take me months to work through my backlog but the popular narrative around the launch could and should have been much different.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I guess I never considered that possibility. Huh. Interesting. Just based on that, then, I could see them taking quite a bit of extra time to get used to the dev kit. Doesn't sound like Spring 2021 for XSX is reasonable?
It's obviously very optimistic. It really depends on when the engine rewrite happened. I don't think Todd meant the dev kit--likely just the approximate specs that they've likely known for years given their close relationship with Microsoft. They overhauled Oblivion's engine too (it was a massive leap from Morrowind's) and yet Oblivion was pretty much a launch game for Xbox 360.
That's exactly what 343i said about Halo Infinite's Slipspace engine. And look how that turned out
I don't think it's comparable. Infinite was always going to be cross-gen due to Xbox promising the Xbox One support. With Starfield, cross gen was never promised. They're clearly targeting next gen. I'd be extremely surprised if Starfield released on current gen too. Bethesda's games are very CPU intensive, Fallout 4 already struggled to run well back in 2015, bottlenecked by the CPU. There's no way Starfield will be able to run on the base Xbox One without dropping to single digits.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Just a heads up because you might have missed the sales thread: SOMA is 2.99 €/$ currently on the Microsoft Store, a whopping 90% off!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I wish I could take all of November and December off, honestly, and just escape and have fun. Unfortunately, that part of the year before christmas is always super busy.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
I'm disappointed we've heard nothing so far about when The Outer Worlds would get a Series X enhancement, I believe it was said that it was getting one months ago.

I haven't played the game yet, would have been a perfect one to jump into on Series X with DLC recently released too. I'll just have to wait until it gets the enhancement patch.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm disappointed we've heard nothing so far about when The Outer Worlds would get a Series X enhancement, I believe it was said that it was getting one months ago.

I haven't played the game yet, would have been a perfect one to jump into on Series X with DLC recently released too. I'll just have to wait until it gets the enhancement patch.

In the same ballpark: Does anyone know if Fallout New Vegas is supposed to get a similar treatment to Fallout 3 (and now 4) on Xbox Series X? Not sure what the code for the game was like, but I'd assume we will have to wait longer for any significant improvements?

Iroshino

Jan 4, 2020
I totally agree with Jez about Halo. As for Bethesda, I also think that Microsoft should make these games exclusive because these games are very popular and can attract new people to Xbox ecosystem. But if Microsoft decides not to make Bethesda games exclusive on the contrary it can further damage Xbox as people will see that expensive singleplayer games from Microsoft can be released on PlayStation and PlayStation already has a lot of its own powerful exclusive games and it is obvious that in this case many will prefer to buy PlayStation.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I have zero interest in playing Watch Dogs (I liked the first one a lot but couldn't bother with the second game, tried to get back in a few times but it never worked for me). But seeing the Series X footage... mmmh I wanna see some next gen glory on launch day. I intended to grab Valhala digitally but even if we had a great footage video a couple of weeks ago we've yet to see some final gameplay on S X. Any idea when we will ?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone give Phil a pass in this?
Halo Infinite should never have been the sole launch game. It doesn't make sense. There should have been another game, preferably something family friendly.
A killer instinct sequel or a Banjo Kazooie game would not command a massive budget and could have been a great stop gap to hold the fort until Halo Infinite.

Even the ray traced Minecraft game would have sufficed. Or accelerating the console release of Flight Simulator as a next gen showcase.

I personally don't mind, either way, since it will take me months to work through my backlog but the popular narrative around the launch could and should have been much different.
Phil's hands off, as he should be, and if they're not delivering the good whilst being entrusted to steer a game then that's when it's his responsibility to get involved. Which he has and brought in Staten. He just approves budgets and empowers his department, Booty is in charge of assisting the Dev of these games. Honestly, it's on 343. Given millions and the freedom to make a great game and yet they're facing problems after 5 years, there's something not right with how the project is being managed.

Jan 4, 2018
I would replay quantum break at 4k 60 fps fully path traced on ultra settings.

Maybe on the series x succesor.

I beat the game twice, really enjoyed the gameplay. Got all achievements too.

I want quantum break 2.

Paul as the final boss was a pain both times, the cooldown on the time dash ability is far too slow when his aggro area atacks hit and if you make a single mistake youre dead.

I want Quantum Break 2 too.

#SaveBeth

Too bad the game didn't reach sales expectations, it was so good.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I wish I could take all of November and December off, honestly, and just escape and have fun. Unfortunately, that part of the year before christmas is always super busy.
I fucked up my planning for my courses so I studied like courses for 150% study rate last period (we have each semester divided in 2 2-month periods) and 50% this period. My fuckup at least will mean I have a LOT of time to play xbox lol

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
In the same ballpark: Does anyone know if Fallout New Vegas is supposed to get a similar treatment to Fallout 3 (and now 4) on Xbox Series X? Not sure what the code for the game was like, but I'd assume we will have to wait longer for any significant improvements?

I don't think anyone has come out and said anything about enhancements for New Vegas. I'd be really surprised if it doesn't happen at some point though.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Remedy is very good at making unique games that get cult followings that don't sell enough to warrant sequels.
I want Alan wake 2 and quantum break 2 but I'd actually pick QB2 if held at gunpoint.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I've moved on from the Halo mess now in all honestly.. I have no idea what the fuck 343 are doing or how the game will ultimately turn out but my hype is with all the other game studios and Chief is at the back of the line sadly

And I'm ok with that..

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I've moved on from the Halo mess now in all honestly.. I have no idea what the fuck 343 are doing or how the game will ultimately turn out but my hype is with all the other game studios and Chief is at the back of the line sadly

And I'm ok with that..

Yeah, I'm just expecting the absolute worst and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Its november people. We are here.

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
It still baffles me how MS really has no new games to launch with the series x. They spent all this time making this amazingly powerful box, acquired studios to set themselves up.good in the future. But they really put the money all on halo for launch? A game that must have clearly been shakey even early in the year. And then nothing else? Who's fault is that? Several people i imagine.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It still baffles me how MS really has no new games to launch with the series x. They spent all this time making this amazingly powerful box, acquired studios to set themselves up.good in the future. But they really put the money all on halo for launch? A game that must have clearly been shakey even early in the year. And then nothing else? Who's fault is that? Several people i imagine.
Kinda makes me think pressure from MS for what Halo needed to be might be what's been causing turbulence with 343 and Infinite

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
New studios doesn't have do with it alot. All depends on what they were or are working on at time of buy. And alot of them just released or were releasing at that time. So that made it impossible for them to have something at series x launch.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The "fault" - if you want to phrase it like that - is on 343 and the combination COVID/working-from-home. And I'm slowly getting a bit tired of people showing zero kind of comprehension or sympathy for the whole COVID situation.

It makes zero sense to launch another first-party game next to Halo on the same day. When you have Game Pass, launching multiple multi-million $ productions on the same day is not healthy/sustainable. So the plan to launch with their big game, Halo Infinite, made perfect sense. All the time. In hindsight, you obviously always know better and with that one card you bet on missing, it looks bad. Xbox first-party started to throw tons of people at the project to bring it home for launch, but ultimately it simply wasn't achievable, so they'll get more time. Not to rework that whole thing, but to get it done. The Halo Infinite delay came too late to really react to it (and just as a tidbit, they even kind of reacted to it a bit by accelerating the development of the Halo MCC X|S update).

From the outside, it is a bad look for 343. There is no doubt about that. They disappointed fans - and ultimately, fans don't really care for the reasons, even if they might be legit. That is okay. Only 343 themselves can bring this ship home now. Because no matter how rocky development was, especially this year, what will matter in the end is the result they will bring to the table.

343 has the power to get this right -- and only them.

Last edited:

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

It's a damn shame for sure. I'm very curious how well the Series X|S sell without Infinite. Also curious if Game Pass is going to get a marketing blitz right after launch.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Not disputing anything Jez said about the information he's heard for the development of the game. But for his opinions on what Halo looks like, plays like, and is to Xbox as a brand now and in the future, I wouldn't hold his opinion up. He's said on multiple podcasts in the past that he isn't a Halo fan, so I would view his comments through that lens when he rails on the game and the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.