• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

GING-SAMA said:
Publishing is building its team in Asia - this is a rare opportunity to join an incubating team with broad impact, working directly for Xbox and with world-class developers on cutting-edge games for a wide international audience, taking advantage of the backing and support of Microsoft
GING-SAMA said:
Look like they work on large budget Japan games too 👀
We're looking for candidates with a strong background in software engineering for large budget games, great communication skills, and a self-driven approach to work. The ideal candidate understands large studio game development, enjoys collaborating with internal and external partners, and has a track record for delivering high quality software.
www.linkedin.com

Microsoft hiring Senior Software Engineer (Xbox) in Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan | LinkedIn

Posted 12:02:51 PM. Seeking an experienced Senior Software Engineer.Xbox Game Studios Publishing, the team behind…See this and similar jobs on LinkedIn.
Thread worthy imo, this is basically first time since 360 that Xbox rebuilding their publishing team in Japan.

🤞 Please Lost Odyssey 2!!!! 🤞
kpamgGx.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they are and I'm sure there is probably some big stuff and even some surprises but at this point it feels like a Nintendo "we are working with top third party developers like Activision, EA and Take Two on great games!" When we all know those companies will still insist on not bringing over gta, Cod, Madden, Battlefield, etc

Call me cynical but after 20 years of Xbox saying they're working on getting more Japanese games, I need receipts. Same with Nintendo and third parties since mid 90s

I've learned it's better to appreciate these platforms for what they do have and not really hope for more.

Edit: also very unfortunate he left the S off of Products lol

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty good news. The fact that he directly tags Xbox Publishing means it's first party stuff, and more funding for independent and big developers in Japan can only mean good things.

Question: is there any chance Futatsugi works with Xbox again? What is his team doing these days?

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
So does that prevent Microsoft from throwing their hat into the ring? The NetEase thing makes them a third-party developer.
Its highly unlikely that xbox publishes a title from them, as theyll publish it themselves. Netease is really big and doesnt need to partner with a platform holder to get their titles published

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The amount of games MS must have in development between their own studios and publishing at this stage must be off the charts. Really is calm before the storm right now.. at some point these games will start releasing!

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
So does that prevent Microsoft from throwing their hat into the ring? The NetEase thing makes them a third-party developer.

Microsoft would have no ownership of the IP, which in most cases when it comes to publishing they would have. netease also doesn't need Microsofts help to publish a game, which would mean they would share any profits.

Its why you don't see any platform holders partnering with tencent or anything like that.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Sounds like normal recruiting language tbh lol, although at least they're going back to supporting Japanese devs this time

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the mention of « large budget games » in this series of tweets, but it's surely great jobs and positions for publishing.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Microsoft would have no ownership of the IP, which in most cases when it comes to publishing they would have. netease also doesn't need Microsofts help to publish a game, which would mean they would share any profits.

Its why you don't see any platform holders partnering with tencent or anything like that.
Okay, that makes more sense. So NetEase has the resources to handle publishing and distribution on their own. All MS could do is make it third-party exclusive, which doesn't use Xbox's own publishing division.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
My gut feeling is that whatever Marvelous' First Studio is making now is it:
www.gematsu.com

Marvelous’ First Studio seeking staff for PS5 and Xbox Series games; large-scale RPG currently in development

Marvelous’ First Studio is seeking staff to bolster the planning and development of “high-end next-generation games” for platforms including PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series, the com…

Maybe with Tabata:
www.gematsu.com

JP Games developing two large-scale titles in cooperation with major companies

JP Games, the studio led by Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata, has two new projects in development, each in cooperation with a major company, Tabata told the latest i…

It could be the awful sounding GAAS nightmare he once described as his dream project.

For some fun continuity, Marvelous absorbed AQ Interactive, which was made up of Feelplus (Lost Odyssey) and Artoon (Blue Dragon) employees.

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Okay, that makes more sense. So NetEase has the resources to handle publishing and distribution on their own. All MS could do is make it third-party exclusive, which doesn't use Xbox's own publishing division.

Exactly. Being publishing this would be companies like Platinum, White Owls, developers like that.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
since I have an Xbox now, I should probably look into playing Lost Odyssey.

Oct 25, 2017
All these lost odyssey 2 posts..and not a single cry for the better jrpg of the Xbox 360 days… that's right

2212553-box_bdragon.png

And now I run 🏃🏾🏃🏾🏃🏾

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, hope they're cool and hope to see them someday. They've said this for like three generations, so one of these days…

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Something tells me we are imagining way more ambitious projects than what are actually being created.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
That's great news, however I had thought I read somewhere that they were looking to help Japanese Indie game development. Which is what I would be more interested in rather than try to get studios run by the same old guard of dudes that are closer to retirement overall.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
That's great news, however I had thought I read somewhere that they were looking to help Japanese Indie game development. Which is what I would be more interested in rather than try to get studios run by the same old guard of dudes that are closer to retirement overall.
They are doing both. Id@Xbox is what is helping the indie studios

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Definitely pretty exciting. I wonder who they'll be working with honestly and I hope it brings us some good games

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Cool. Hopefully it's them working with independent developers for some new exciting stuff and not just trying to lock down timed exclusives of games that we would have gotten anyway (i.e., FFXVI ugh).

OP
OP
JINX

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we all need to learn to take obvious PR statements like this with a grain of salt
These are job postings not public facing PR, we have known about them building a publishing group in Japan for a while now.
Cool, hope they're cool and hope to see them someday. They've said this for like three generations, so one of these days…
They had first party Japanese exclusives on the OG and 360? The One is the only missing generation, well it almost had Scalebound (rip.)
They are, but that is two other Xbox groups (GEO and ID@Xbox.)
Cool. Hopefully it's them working with independent developers for some new exciting stuff and not just trying to lock down timed exclusives of games that we would have gotten anyway (i.e., FFXVI ugh).
Those sort of deals wouldn't be handled by the global publishing group, this team is specifically for first party productions/co-development.