• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
XSX(or any conosles) won't be 100% carbon neutral anyway, unless China suddenly goes 100% carbon neutral(i won't believe it even CCP show up today and said they're).

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
No, it was reported by Bloomberg that they decided to boost production by 50% for 10 million until the end of the fiscal year (March 2021).

www.eurogamer.net

Sony dramatically boosts PlayStation 5 production this year - reports

PlayStation 5 production has been dramatically scaled up, according to multiple reports.Both Bloomberg and Nikkei Asian…

And the limited preorders in the US only applies to PlayStation Direct, Sony's own digital retailer store. All other retailers (Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart etc.) will have their own preorder strategies.

The Bloomberg article said they would produce 10m by the end of calendar year.

Sony began PS5 mass production in June and, under the latest plan, expects to assemble 5 million units by the end of September and another 5 million between October and December. A large portion of the latter tranche would turn into stock for 2021 due to the logistical delay. Sony could try to use air cargo for faster delivery, as it did in 2013 around the launch of the PlayStation 4, though airlines are running vastly reduced schedules due to Covid-19 and Sony's ability to reserve flights would be limited.

www.bloomberg.com

Sony Boosting Output of PlayStation 5 to Meet Surge in Demand

Sony Corp. is roughly doubling its PlayStation 5 production to 10 million units this year as it sees the prolonged effects of the Covid-19 pandemic boosting demand for gaming, according to people familiar with its plans.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This seems to match the figure from September last year. So this has nothing to do with Series X quantity.

Screenshot_2020-08-31_at_23.07.31.png

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
XSX(or any conosles) won't be 100% carbon neutral anyway, unless China suddenly goes 100% carbon neutral(i won't believe it even CCP show up today and said they're).
Do you understand the term? It's nothing to do with China. Any carbon emissions produced making these 825,000 consoles is offset by other carbon-reducing practices like maybe planting trees or restoring/creating habitats etc.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
It would be nice if all big companies endeavored to make their products carbon neutral. Good for MS, good for the earth.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Bloomberg article said they would produce 10m by the end of calendar year.

www.bloomberg.com

Sony Boosting Output of PlayStation 5 to Meet Surge in Demand

Sony Corp. is roughly doubling its PlayStation 5 production to 10 million units this year as it sees the prolonged effects of the Covid-19 pandemic boosting demand for gaming, according to people familiar with its plans.
That's even more impressive. 10 million by the end of the year then, dep9000 .

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's either 825,000 consoles with the carbon neutral pilot method, or that's the total amount. Since they make a point about it being a pilot program, I would think it must be the former.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
Not quite, if you look on the website there's a fairly large document explaining it all but in summary it's basically that.

The carbon emissions produced to make these consoles - what they've saved by doing things differently (like planting trees or using solar panels on a factory or something)= 0 net carbon emissions.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't mean they did they impossible and made 825k consoles that produced no carbon emissions in the entire process of making the console. It means that of the ones they made, they offset through planting trees or whatever metric they're using to justify it as carbon neutral.
Do you understand the term? It's nothing to do with China. Any carbon emissions produced making these 825,000 consoles is offset by other carbon-reducing practices like maybe planting trees or restoring/creating habitats etc.
It's very possible that "carbon-neutral" products from any company have zero connection with actual ecological efforts. It's quite probable that they're simply buying carbon credits from some other company with extra, and using that transaction to "offset" the carbon footprint of production.

It's not a guarantee the other company is planting trees or restoring habitat, either. For example, Tesla receives government subsidies in the form of carbon credits--as an incentive for making electric cars--that it then sells on to other corporations for income.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
It's very possible that "carbon-neutral" products from any company have zero connection with actual ecological efforts. It's quite probable that they're simply buying carbon credits from some other company with extra, and using that transaction to "offset" the carbon footprint of production.

It's not a guarantee the other company is planting trees or restoring habitat, either. For example, Tesla receives government subsidies in the form of carbon credits--as an incentive for making electric cars--that it then sells on to other corporations for income.

Yes I agree (I am an ecologist so I hope for that the most!) but Microsoft seemed to have pledged to go a little beyond credits with renewables etc. They say want have a future vision to actively remove carbon, their "carbon debt" which I guess they could achieve through technology alone but their brief does mention saving habitats from destruction and some similar incentives.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
That article is wrong apparently. It's by the end of March.
No, it's by the end of the calendar year.

Sony began PS5 mass production in June and, under the latest plan, expects to assemble 5 million units by the end of September and another 5 million between October and December. A large portion of the latter tranche would turn into stock for 2021 due to the logistical delay.

I guess you are forgetting the logistical delay.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Will these XBs have a different emblem or something to denote they are carbon neutral?

Given the choice between a carbon neutral and non- I would search a pile of Xboxes for a Carbon neutral if it had something where I could tell the difference.

MS also already transitioned to 100% ethical source, right?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
That's cool.

Xbox will have produced a lot more than just 825K Series X at this point.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Why has this turned into a thread about Sony?
It hasn't. When you posted this, there were 69 previous posts and only 17--less than 25%--mentioned Sony or Sony products.

Yes I agree (I am an ecologist so I hope for that the most!) but Microsoft seemed to have pledged to go a little beyond credits with renewables etc. They say want have a future vision to actively remove carbon, their "carbon debt" which I guess they could achieve through technology alone but their brief does mention saving habitats from destruction and some similar incentives.
That'd be nice if they pay more than lip service. The track record for hardware producers like console platform owners is not good.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will these XBs have a different emblem or something to denote they are carbon neutral?

Given the choice between a carbon neutral and non- I would search a pile of Xboxes for a Carbon neutral if it had something where I could tell the difference.

MS also already transitioned to 100% ethical source, right?
The manufacturing process isn't carbon neutral. It's being offset by carbon reducing programs. They've done enough to offset the manufacturing of 825k consoles.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I asked how many Sony had produced to help put that number in context. But since this number is only specific to carbon neutral consoles (I didn't know that at the time) it's moot. Sony didn't make carbon neutral consoles
Yes, this is a pilot program not total units made. I'm wondering if this is more expensive to do? Not at all suggesting they don't do this, I think it's awesome if they are able to.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see. On a related note, I was looking through their press release and it kind of sucks how these companies try to pat themselves on the back for being energy efficient by relating Watts to Flops. They can handwave increased energy consumption by claiming that there are more Flops, so it's more efficient.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
If this is the real deal that's great and will certainly be part of my consideration for my next console.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So, you didn't click into the link.
From the IGN article it states:
Microsoft did not state if these carbon neutral consoles would specifically be Xbox One, Xbox One X, or Xbox Scarlett versions
Looks like a Series X in the image on the website though.

Either way this is a really good thing
You should tell MS. Their website shows a picture of the Xbox Series X, not the Xbox One.

Microsoft has made the 825,000 Xbox consoles CarbonNeutral today by making reductions to the lifecycle emissions, through purchasing renewable electricity and verified emissions reductions, otherwise known as carbon offsets.

In the decade since the Xbox 360 was launched, Microsoft has made various reductions to the emissions of the product through a dramatic reduction in its energy use: the power consumption per unit of performance of the Xbox One X, launched in 2017, was more than 90% lower than the Xbox 360.

Microsoft is using 100% renewable energy across its manufacturing sites.

Finally, Microsoft has made the Xbox consoles carbon neutral by financing the Sichuan China Biodigesters project.

The project distributes small-scale biogas plants to low-income rural households with livestock in China. Households are equipped with devices that save methane emissions by converting previously untreated animal manure into clean biogas. The biogas can then be used for cooking, heating and lighting instead of burning coal and firewood in open fireplaces. So far the project has reduced carbon dioxide emissions and harmful smoke in 400,000 small-holder farmer households.

Microsoft manufactures its Xbox consoles in China and is working to implement circular economy principles into the product and its packaging. The biodigester project in Sichuan was a good fit both because of its location and its use of a waste product to generate energy. In addition, the project is currently undertaking a study into the benefits it has on water bodies and drainage systems, which is of interest to Microsoft for its own work on water conservation.
The passage is from a page that isn't dated on the Carbon Neutral website. Microsoft said they achieved the feat during their 2019 fiscal year which ended June 2020 and the Series X supposedly went into production in May so it actually could be Series X like the picture suggests. Although Carbon Neutral seems more focused on the energy the production plants use in making them and on what green initiatives the company's money goes towards to compensate for the amount of CO2 that gets pumped into the air to make their products. So it could mean both One and Series X. Either way Series X is still going to use a ton of power when plugged in and it's parts still come fron the same sources. But at least the plants that make them use renewable energy and they will donate to local green initiatives.

Microsoft Xbox | Microsoft certifies 825,000 Xbox consoles CarbonNeutral®

In 2019 the company decided to go further by beginning the journey to expand its carbon neutrality from operations to the life-cycle of its products. As a first step, it has made 825,000 Xbox consoles CarbonNeutral®, to become the world's first gaming console to become a carbon neutral product...

www.laptopmag.com

Xbox Series X production begins, signaling good news for a Holiday 2020 release (report)

Xbox Series X will be in more countries at launch than the Xbox One

Last edited:

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Never forget the console slave labour reports before you clap this stuff