Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hurt while looking at TEW2, this game absolutely deserved the millions club (I assume the numbers are correct)

View: https://twitter.com/ZANEJWICKMAN/status/1788089672922747322

Should we be asking this question for other studios? Tango was doing good numbers and again, Hi-Fi sales got fucked over by the release strategy. What does MS expect having these games as exclusives also? Hellblade sold over a million as well other franchises they own now like Psychonauts and Outer Worlds, which actually sold a shit ton, but those were all multiplatform. Microsoft can't have their fucking cake and eat it and when they don't get what they want, due to them self-sabotaging sales, they shut the studios down.

Fucking hate this company.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I bet Tim Schafer and Double Fine have a good way out in the worst case scenario, dude knows how this industry chews out people.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
If you are a creative person at Xbox and dare pitch anything new, it's straight out the door for these guys. Microsoft isn't interested in new things ever. They truly have no inherent competency regarding game development.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I bet Tim Schafer and Double Fine have a good way out in the worst case scenario, dude knows how this industry chews out people.
I hope so. I feel like the reason they went to Xbox in the first place was because they were in trouble. I'm not sure they'll be able to go independent again. Hope I'm wrong though.

BaasRed

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UAE
I bought Hifi Rush an hour before the news dropped and I still can't process the stupidity of it all after sleeping on it. Good for Phil and other execs on their yearly/quarterly bonuses! I'm not spending a single dime I've earned on another Microsoft product. Rotten to the core. I pray to see the day this conglomerate is broken down either by imploding or goverment regulation.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I hope so. I feel like the reason they went to Xbox in the first place was because they were in trouble. I'm not sure they'll be able to go independent again. Hope I'm wrong though.

Wasn't the first psychonauts originally meant to be published by Microsoft, but Double Fine fall out with them during development?

I'm pretty sure Schafer wouldn't work with them again without some kind of safety net.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I hurt while looking at TEW2, this game absolutely deserved the millions club (I assume the numbers are correct)

View: https://twitter.com/ZANEJWICKMAN/status/1788089672922747322

Why Tango Gameworks?

Because they're pitching a video game sequel that'll took years away, that's why.

GNFY6EdWsAEKMhB

🙄🤷🤦

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't the first psychonauts originally meant to be published by Microsoft, but Double Fine fall out with them during development?

I'm pretty sure Schafer wouldn't work with them again without some kind of safety net.
They backed out of the publishing deal but they did a lot of Kinect stuff for them after that so I don't think there was bad blood.

Getting bought was definitely a safety net thing but after all this, I don't know.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Keep thinking about this. Imagine having access to both Harvey Smith and John Johanas and not even hearing a new pitch from either.

Someone replied to me yesterday with a clip of Steve Jobs saying that Microsoft's problem is that they have no taste. I think they just don't understand what's considered quality in the gaming space and haven't for some time.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
GNFY6EdWsAEKMhB

A publisher buying developers for their past success making large-scale games, to bolster its business selling large-scale games, and then shuttering those devs for planning large scale games when the publisher originally tasked them with exactly that is absolutely nonsensical. If this is actually in the spirit of the thinking among their leadership, then the Xbox management team is better off shuttered. I understand the industry is in a tough spot after the COVID-19 boom, but operations like this are an active threat to its workforce. If the expense of running a game studio to produce videogames is too much for your business model, then don't make game creation your business.

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
GNFY6EdWsAEKMhB

A publisher buying developers for their past success making large-scale games, to bolster its business selling large-scale games, and then shuttering those devs for planning large scale games when the publisher originally tasked them with exactly that is absolutely nonsensical. If this is actually in the spirit of the thinking among their leadership, then the Xbox management team is better off shuttered. I understand the industry is in a tough spot after the COVID-19 boom, but operations like this are an active threat to its workforce.

Tbh this isnt news when it comes to MS overall business practice over decades now... and I am not even talking about just gaming in specific now...

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I know, but they're still going to sell/market the games they show off there too. Hell a good showing and they might even think it's a good opportunity to deflect and lower the temperature.
yes, but the showcase can sell itself. i doubt an executive would have the guts to show face in front of a live audience rn. guess we'll see.

DrFreeman

Banned
May 9, 2020
I've never played Hi-Fi Rush but every time I see it I'm just disappointed.

The team did everything right and then they got fucked over.

I'm hoping that someone else (Capcom?) can pick up some of the team and help them regroup. Maybe make a spiritual successor or creative game they come up with next.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If Microsoft hasn't put out a statement giving better details on possibilities like staff retention in light of the shutdowns, I'm going to just assume the worst. Leadership can rot here. If communication would help people parse the situation better, they have every capacity to do that, and aren't.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
A publisher buying developers for their past success making large-scale games, to bolster its business selling large-scale games, and then shuttering those devs for planning large scale games when the publisher originally tasked them with exactly that is absolutely nonsensical. If this is actually in the spirit of the thinking among their leadership, then the Xbox management team is better off shuttered. I understand the industry is in a tough spot after the COVID-19 boom, but operations like this are an active threat to its workforce. If the expense of running a game studio to produce videogames is too much for your business model, then don't make game creation your business.
You nailed it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft hasn't put out a statement giving better details on possibilities like staff retention in light of the shutdowns, I'm going to just assume the worst. Leadership can rot here. If communication would help people parse the situation better, they have every capacity to do that, and aren't.

Why should anyone trust another two-faced "statement" out of Microsoft about ANYTHING at this point? They literally told us, verbatim, they were investing in both Arkane Austin and Tango last year and looking forward to their next games and they still killed them.

There is nothing Phil Spencer can say that will make this better short of "I, along with the entire Microsoft Gaming senior leadership team, resign effective immediately".

Everything they say - everything - is another empty-headed lie designed to give Xbox fans the warm and tinglies without actually addressing or changing any of their plans or policies.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
The Initiative: Not so much as a gameplay trailer and yet they're still open. Total fucking clown show.

They're currently working on a new game, the closed down studios weren't. That's all it is to them: numbers. They decided the "need" to trim and so they destroyed the two studios currently not really doing anything in terms of new game space.

Shuttering a currently working studio means that they also lose all the progress made on the game(s) they were producing. Closing a studio that's not working means they just lose the studio. Pure numbers.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
the "pitching games that were years away from release" thing is so insane to me. like yes, that's how long it takes to make games now! partially because of your demands to make huge technological leaps forward every generation!! we are no longer in the atari era!!!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
GNFY6EdWsAEKMhB

Damn, nailed it

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
GNFY6EdWsAEKMhB

"So this game will take a few years to make."
"wtf give game now or ur all fired"

You know you're a terrible liar when your lie makes you look more incompetent than the truth.

Soulful Crow

Oct 8, 2020
Chicago, IL
The entire dev industry needs to organize, protest, participate in a universal work stoppage, and unionize. That's one of the few ways they'll get the protections and security they deserve in this current climate. Otherwise they'll collectively continue to be overworked and disposed of at the whim of short-sighted executives and financial models.

Bengraven