GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fair question sure, screaming UNSUSTAINABLE when you have 0 access to any financial information to make that claim doesn't seem a fair answer

It doesn't sounds like screaming though. All the points raised by that users seems reasonable, common sense I would even say.
And it's not like we don't have other exemples for that kind of strategy regarding subscription based services.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
All of it? I've never been one to be swayed by "proof by vigorous assertion"

We've seen the issues in more than just gaming space when it comes to streaming services. The movie and TV industry has been having to deal with a lot of the same problems for years now and their form of media Is far more suitable for a streaming model than something as active as gaming.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
We've seen the issues in more than just gaming space when it comes to streaming services. The movie and TV industry has been having to deal with a lot of the same problems for years now and their form of media Is far more suitable for a streaming model than something as active as gaming.

Now we've switched from "subscription model" to "streaming model", to make it more like TV and easier to pretend we have knowledge on it I guess, although people have rented games for decades and decades

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Now we've switched from "subscription model" to "streaming model", to make it more like TV and easier to pretend we have knowledge on it I guess, although people have rented games for decades and decades

I'd argue those are pretty much one and the same for what's being discussed. You're subscribing to a streaming service to get media. This isn't some secret either. The companies behind many of these services have not been quiet on this front.

Edit: I'd also mention that I don't think rental video is a great comparison as a lot has changed since the 90's. Just the fact there was a major VHS/DVD market that no longer exists was a major factor in of itself.

Last edited:

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
And yet Microsoft is having trouble with people NOT WANTING to buy games anymore because of Game Pass. They've trained their consumers to exclusively pay less for more games.

"I'm not buying this title because I can play it on this subscription" is not going to be a surprise when you set up a subscription service, as to people "buying games" Maybe you're thinking of the Pirate Bay rather than an official subscription service where the publishers get renumerated

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not buying this title because I can play it on this subscription" is not going to be a surprise when you set up a subscription service, as to people "buying games" Maybe you're thinking of the Pirate Bay rather than an official subscription service where the publishers get renumerated

Publishers getting 6 cents off of a download of their game on a subscription is less money than someone buying it.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
Do you know how we could get knowledge on it? If Microsoft actually reported it. Due to the nature of how Xbox is structured as part of Microsoft rather than a subsidiary, they don't have to report details, but they can choose what to share. If Game Pass was this massively profitable service as it curre tly exists, they'd be shouting about it. The fact that all we've ever had are vague assertions of profitability and sustainability from people like Phil Spencer when pressed, and never any concrete numbers based on an actual methodology that could be scrutinised.

Do you remember when they used to report hardware sales and then just happened to stop when Xbox sales started to fall behind the competition? It's like that.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
But they don't, so we don't, and you're welcome to have an opinion on it, but without data that's all it is
You're actively trying to discourage people sharing opinions by calling anything you don't like to see baseless though. If people make reasonable inferences from the information we have, the better thing to do if you disagree is engage with it. Just repeating the word baseless is needlessly dismissive and adds nothing.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I get that MS owns the Tango IP now, but couldn't Sony rebirth the studio, it would seem a very smart call to make, maybe too messy legally?

Pre 2015 sony maybe.

Current Sony that shattered Japan studio and showed obvious lack of interest in Japanese games since the second half of PS4 gen? absolutely not. You aren't paying attention if you think Current sony have interest in those .

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
You're actively trying to discourage people sharing opinions by calling anything you don't like to see baseless though.

They're not sharing opinions as opinions though are they they're posting them as "common sense facts" like I have reply after reply "it's just common sense" that you can see in this thread so I'm not sure why I'm getting the salty response, go after the people who don't view it as an opinion first

the better thing to do if you disagree is engage with it

Not sure if legitimizing baseless opinion presented as fact by engaging with it as if it was factual is better, that actually sounds way worse

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
I don't get the argument when Xbox themselves said Game Pass cannibalises games sales.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if legitimizing baseless opinion presented as fact by engaging with it as if it was factual is better, that actually sounds way worse
the only thing you've done so far is go "that's bullshit" to a very reasonable post, and instead of having a counter argument just childishly deflect any response you got.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
You really committed to your baseless opinion and I appreciate that
Baseless? Since when is analysis based on observable information and parallel trends across similar entertainment focused industries baseless? But sure go ahead and ignore the content of the posts I quoted and the end results.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Baseless? Since when is analysis based on observable information and parallel trends across similar entertainment focused industries is baseless? But sure go ahead and ignore the contest of the posts and the end result.
Nah, nah, nah, you see he doesn't like it. Therefore it's bullshit. Factually so, apparently.

Meanwhile studios are closing, games are going multiplatform and gaming subscriptions in general (not just GP) have seemingly stagnated this past year. Surely all healthy signs. Surely.

inb4 another "that's bullshit".

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
They're not sharing opinions as opinions though are they they're posting them as "common sense facts" like I have reply after reply "it's just common sense" that you can see in this thread so I'm not sure why I'm getting the salty response, go after the people who don't view it as an opinion first

But it's all reasonable inference from both the nature of a subscription service and recent developments, despite you wishing otherwise it isn't based on nothing. There are no wild leaps of logic, it makes sense, if you think there are any flaws in the argument then you don't seem to be sharing them. People also don't need to preface every single post they make on this topic with "I have not analysed the financial information itself and so this is my interpretation of the facts at hand" because that's frankly a given. You don't expect someone to have to specify it's their opinion if they say a game is good or bad do you? It being an opinion is interpreted by the nature of the comment, isn't it?

If your position is that nobody should express any comment on anything like this unless there are concrete facts provided by the company and independently audited, then that is all gaming industry discussion outside of earnings reports effectively shut down. Even then all that's allowed is to dispassionately state the figures and not comment on anything not explicitly stated in the report.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It just feels mean to rub it in. People had a lot of hope and now I imagine a lot of them are feeling a bad as anyone else.
It's not meant to rub it in its to remind people so maybe valid analysis/criticism doesn't get drowned out or dismissed next time around.

But they don't, so we don't, and you're welcome to have an opinion on it, but without data that's all it is
Just because MS is hiding their direct profit and revenue figures doesn't mean there isn't other known information out there that can be used as a basis for cost analysis. Anyone seriously arguing that the only valid way of performing any sort of analysis is to rely on the information directly provided by the target of said analysis is just arguing to be a nothing more than a PR mouthpiece.

Ok so you didn't read any of the quotes. Nowhere in any of them do they rely solely in "common sense." Hell some of them even reference direct documentation and observations form MS themselves that contradict public statements. I think they speak for themselves. If you want to continue to dismiss criticism and analysis because you don't like it then go right ahead. I'll let what I said speak for me.

Last edited:

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024

View: https://x.com/JezCorden/status/1789989028579725467

the favorite person of many, defending a corporate suit that has her pockets full while many employees are in the streets now looking for jobs trying to have paychecks month by month, jez showing his true colors, he just do soft critics to xbox when bad things happen, but he never fully critisize in a strong way in public the top xbox leadership, its like this guy is afraid of losing his privileges with inside information, as players we should stop defending top gaming executives, developers are the ones being affected by their decisions

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

the favorite person of many, defending a corporate suit that has her pockets full while many employees are in the streets now looking for jobs trying to have paychecks month by month, jez showing his true colors, he just do soft critics to xbox when bad things happen, but he never fully critisize in a strong way in public the top xbox leadership, its like this guy is afraid of losing his privileges with inside information, as players we should stop defending top gaming executives, developers are the ones being affected by their decisions

yeah pretty much. also funny how he jumps to satya when asked who to blame in the comments. skipping "the president of microsoft gaming" altogether lol.
fuckin clowns.

but at least he gets something in return.
there are no shortage of "suit defenders" doing it free as well.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
GJbN03E.png

I'm caught between this being hysterical and accurate.....but also terribly precient.....

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It just feels mean to rub it in. People had a lot of hope and now I imagine a lot of them are feeling a bad as anyone else.

It's less about rubbing in then expressing the feeling of vindication. Many of us, including myself once or twice, were told off or made to sound like we're stupid when we questioned whether Gamepass is sustainable, or laid out arguments to show our thoughts on why we think it might eventually crash.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017

This reminds me of the donkey cut away from Family Guy where he was saying that Kevin Bacon wasn't in Footloose.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

I've seen a few other people try to divorce Bond from this decision which is just insane to me.

Do they really think that the literal head of Xbox was not attending meetings to decide which and how many studios to close? Bond, Booty and Spencer all have their fingerprints on this corporate depravity.

And yeah, maybe it is Amy Hood and Satya Nadella forcing the Xbox division to do all this but so what, Spencer and co could resign on principle if they were that torn up over it but they choose to collect their 7-8 figure salary instead. Nobody should feel sympathy for these ghouls just because of some fan fiction that they have tears in their eyes while they wield the axe.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a few other people try to divorce Bond from this decision which is just insane to me.

Do they really think that the literal head of Xbox was not attending meetings to decide which and how many studios to close? Bond, Booty and Spencer all have their fingerprints on this corporate depravity.

And yeah, maybe it is Amy Hood and Satya Nadella forcing the Xbox division to do all this but so what, Spencer and co could resign on principle if they were that torn up over it but they choose to collect their 7-8 figure salary instead. Nobody should feel sympathy for these ghouls just because of some fan fiction that they have tears in their eyes while they wield the axe.
What? If they all resign not only would it not stop these closures from happening, it would likely just end up with more closures, not less.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's incredible how the goalposts are always moved to make sure that the faces of Xbox never have to face any culpability for the business they run. It's always someone else's problem and someone else's fault.

Folks really need to learn not to develop parasocial relationships with goddamn video game MBA people. If they don't make games, they don't fucking matter to the art form outside of facilitating the continued existence of the medium. If they can't even manage that, they're worthless.

Oct 25, 2017
What? If they all resign not only would it not stop these closures from happening, it would likely just end up with more closures, not less.
there is literally no evidence of that. But these are closures they are literally responsible. If the decision was Nadella's primarily, Spencer and co are still the ones that spent all the money on Activision and fucked up their division's profitability and forcasting.

Obviously Nadella should have taken a pay cut to pay people, as well as all the comically rich people at microsoft, but absolving Spencer and is 8 figure salary is fucking ludicrous, when he is a primary factor in thousands of people losing their job.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
So when ABK deal was going through Sarah Bond and Phil Spencer were getting a lot of praise. Now we are seeing the negative repercussions of the deal its all Satya Nadella and Amy Hood.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Nadella and Hood never asked for these studios to be closed. They asked for Microsoft Gaming to make financial sense. Then the command chain under them, starting with Phil Spencer, Matt Booty, Tim Stuart, Sarah Bond, whoever is the Zenimax CEO, etc decided on which measures they'd take to reach certain financial goals, and the studio closure was their solution.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nadella and Hood never asked for these studios to be closed. They asked for Microsoft Gaming to make financial sense. Then the command chain under them, starting with Phil Spencer, Matt Booty, Tim Stuart, Sarah Bond, whoever is the Zenimax CEO, etc decided on which measures they'd take to reach certain financial goals, and the studio closure was their solution.

Right. Nadella is too big to give a shit about micromanaging specific studios. His order was "make the business work the way it's supposed to" and it's all of the Microsoft Gaming execs' responsibility to execute on that. They picked the studios to kill, not the people above them. This shit isn't hard to understand yet people are acting like Nadella and Hood pulled a Littlefinger on people.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
That's not the point: if they're not okay with it, they can quit. If they can live with themselves and continue to swing that axe then they deserve the criticism. These people are literally responsible for the Xbox division and the people who work for it and they have failed tragically. They chose to close 3 studios and merge 1 other, they own this and trying to absolve them of blame is fucking weird, man.