Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't agree with this sentiment. I think Rockstar allowing the Xbox disc to pass for the 360 devalues the original game and goes against the core tenants of preservation purists. It's not full upfront and it really does rub me the wrong way as well.

Preservation purists play on OG hardware. There are all kinds of things that are inauthentic about playing OG Xbox games on X1 and even on 360. Conker's fur shader doesn't look right in anything over 480p, as one example. Lots of these games look more authentic on CRT than on flat panel and so on.

Jerry Orbach

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like it could be mitigated somewhat if they said, "Look, this is the way it has to be, here's why, we literally can't give you the original Xbox game. So our engineers have tagged those discs as licenses for the 360 version which we can deliver, how's that sound?"

Being told I'm being given the privilege of an "upgrade" when I, in fact, am getting that buggy Android port with its soundtrack gutted doesn't smell right to me.
I don't think Microsoft wants to say anything that could be considered passing the buck to the game's publisher. I feel like someone in BC had the bright idea to do a little insignificant nice thing for OG San Andreas owners, and now gamers are going to make sure his bosses regret it.

I would've gladly paid extra for a console with FULL backwards compatibility, because I hate to see games or even ports slip through the cracks, but I think that ship has sailed.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree with this sentiment. I think Rockstar allowing the Xbox disc to pass for the 360 devalues the original game and goes against the core tenants of preservation purists. It's not full upfront and it really does rub me the wrong way as well.

If it's a choice of either playing the 360 version with your OG xbox disc or not playing it at all unless you paid for the 360 version, what would you prefer?

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
If it's a choice of either playing the 360 version with your OG xbox disc or not playing it at all unless you paid for the 360 version, what would you prefer?
Not playing it at all, easy.

1. By not playing it at all, Rockstar gains a possible new sale, the the person pondering it learns of the difference.

2. It only increases appreciation and value of the original game.

Like, I know I am in the minority, I acknowledge that, but I truly believe Rockstar is making a mistake.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017

1. By not playing it at all, Rockstar gains a possible new sale, the the person pondering it learns of the difference.

Like, I know I am in the minority, I acknowledge that, but I truly believe Rockstar is making a mistake.
You can still not play it at all.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure Rockstar will get over this "mistake" and be fine as a company. LOL

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather have a cut down version than no version at all, that goes for any title where there's licencing troubles. For music it's even pretty simple to restore the original soundtrack with OneDrive, Spotify etc.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being told I'm being given the privilege of an "upgrade" when I, in fact, am getting that buggy Android port with its soundtrack gutted doesn't smell right to me.

Why?

Owners of a 13 year old original Xbox game aren't entitled to anything.

Yet, they are being given a game on Xbox One to play. If it's buggy or gutted, don't play it. You haven't paid for it.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Why?

Owners of a 13 year old original Xbox game aren't entitled to anything.

Yet, they are being given a game on Xbox One to play. If it's buggy or gutted, don't play it. You haven't paid for it.
I'm not saying I'm entitled to it, I'm saying that presenting the situation as one born of a decision to give an upgrade to customers when it's actually rooted in contractual necessity is spurious. That's the extent of my complaint: the wording of the statement. I neither expect nor demand anything from this program and am consistently delighted and grateful when it delivers.

Edit: I should revisit this post to clarify that it's obviously a really positive gesture that they decided to allow owners of the original disc to play the 360 port.

Last edited:

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
The sense of entitlement of some people in this thread is embarassing. I think its been pretty clear what version of san andreas we are getting.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The sense of entitlement of some people in this thread is embarassing. I think its been pretty clear what version of san andreas we are getting.
I think the communication was a bit unclear. How they phrased it would make more sense if the 360 was actually an upgrade compared to the oXbox version, but it's pretty obvious that at least some people would prefer to get the oXbox version if that was an option (and even pay for it if again not using an original disc), but that is not a possibility.

It's not inconceivable that the oXbox version would have been made BC. The PS2 version is available on PS4. It has the same songs removed like the Xbox 360 version does, but is not otherwise compromised like the 360/Mobile version is.

I understand why the oXbox version running on Xbox One is not an option, and giving people the 360 version in lieu of making the oXbox version BC is a nice gesture, but I think they could have phrased the announcement more clearly.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Add another notch for a mention of "entitlement." The program isn't immune to criticism: it's an advertised feature of the console, with the understanding (presented by Microsoft) that its offering will continue to grow. Consumers have purchased Xbox Ones on the back of this feature, its current line-up and its future potential. I think we're allowed to state what we think of it, as long as we do so civilly.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Add another notch for a mention of "entitlement." The program isn't immune to criticism: it's an advertised feature of the console...

In this case people aren't complaining about the program or even Microsoft. They are complaining about Rockstar's decision in regard to GTA:SA BC and the wording of their announcement. This is all on Rockstar AFAIK. So far, at least.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the 360 version of SA also have some weird driving changes? Something left over from the mobile version that made driving worse, or am I remembering wrong?

Jerry Orbach

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Add another notch for a mention of "entitlement." The program isn't immune to criticism: it's an advertised feature of the console, with the understanding (presented by Microsoft) that its offering will continue to grow. Consumers have purchased Xbox Ones on the back of this feature, its current line-up and its future potential. I think we're allowed to state what we think of it, as long as we do so civilly.
I can see where you're coming from, even though I personally stopped purchasing anything based on future potential a long time ago (thanks, Sega). I guess that's why my favourite feature these days is backward compatibility. :)

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Sonic 06 at a solid 60fps and with reduced load times via backwards compatibility. It'd still be spectacularly bad but a lot less frustrating and I might actually finish it.

Are there any other games with terrible load times and inconsistent framerates which haven't been added yet?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Is the BC for 360 games region locked? I have hard copies of Table Tennis and MC: LA but they are both NTSC.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've been trying my Midnight Club LA disc for the last 2 days and it keeps saying it's not a backwards compatibility title, is it not active yet?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do we think the chances are of a handful of new BC games being announced sometime in the next week?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The big sale already got me for Table Tennis, and will probably get me for Fight Night Champion.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I own the Original Xbox version of GTA San Andreas that I bought digitally on the 360 years ago (as it was backwards-compatible there too). Does this update mean that I now get a new copy of the native 360-version of the game added to my account? Has the OG Xbox version been delisted? I haven't played it on the 360 in a long time, does it still work/can it still be redownloaded there through the 'my downloads' section? If so, has it been updated itself to get rid of the songs, or is that only the native 360-version?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I own the Original Xbox version of GTA San Andreas that I bought digitally on the 360 years ago (as it was backwards-compatible there too). Does this update mean that I now get a new copy of the native 360-version of the game added to my account? Has the OG Xbox version been delisted? I haven't played it on the 360 in a long time, does it still work/can it still be redownloaded there through the 'my downloads' section? If so, has it been updated itself to get rid of the songs, or is that only the native 360-version?
Correct, you will get the Xbox 360 version of San Andreas on Xbox One. The Original Xbox version will still be available to you but only on your Xbox 360. You can redownload it to your Xbox 360 console as many times as you like, no one will take that away from you.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thanks! On a similar note, will I now also have the 360 native version of San Andreas on my 360 as well? Does it work that way?
Unfortunately, I believe it does NOT work that way. The only other games I have that are similar to this situation are the Xbox 360 games that are in Rare Replay. I can play them on Xbox One, no problem, but they are nowhere to be found on my Xbox 360 console. I wish it did.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't you use points to buy 360 games? I'm trying to buy Red Dead but I'm outside the US so my credit cards don't work :(

Nov 6, 2017
Points? Points were retired ~5 years ago.
If you want to buy 360 games with gift card money you have to use a 360 console. One the web and on the Xbox One store you need a credit card / paypal.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Imagine Sonic 06 at a solid 60fps and with reduced load times via backwards compatibility. It'd still be spectacularly bad but a lot less frustrating and I might actually finish it.Are there any other games with terrible load times and inconsistent framerates which haven't been added yet?

IIRC, Lollipop Chainsaw had load times that were a bit longer than they should have been. They were slightly better if you installed the game on Xbox 360. But I doubt we'll see that game on Xbox One due to music licenses/rights.

I would also like to see Sonic Unleashed and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West have improved framerates. I'm sure Sonic Unleashed will come one day but I doubt Enslaved will ever be on Xbox One.

And, of course, Ninja Gaiden II would be great to play on Xbox One with improved framerates. That's just a matter of time, right Tecmo and/or Microsoft?!

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Besides music issues, is there any other issues with playing San Andreas this way? Would it be the definitive way to play it outside of music issues?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
After reading that, it seems that after all this time the PS2/og Xbox versions are still the definitive way to play.
Kinda sad tbh
The PS2 version is at least available on PS4, with the only changes from the original release being the removed songs, and I think improved resolution/framerate.

GreedyG

Dec 13, 2017
I have the OG Xbox version of San Andreas, but I bought it digitally on the 360 before the enhanced 360 version was available. So effectively I own a digital copy of the Xbox game.

I know that customers with the disc OG Xbox game will get the 360 download thrown in, but I'm unsure whether I will. Any idea? Otherwise I'll check when home & let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.