• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think chances of that happening are fairly high, especially when we get ever closer to RDR2 release date. Rockstar might even be tempted to work with MS in providing any help and assets needed in bringing out a quality 4K patch.

"Preorder RDR2 and play RDR now in 4K, only on Xbox One X". That would be a nice money maker for Rockstar and MS.
I imagine that Rockstar's marketing deal with Sony for RDR2 would preclude that exact scenario, but they might be able to just do a 4k update around release of RDR2.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually be down with Dragon Age 2 being added...never got too far in it after loving DA Origins and DA:I

My backlog would cry though because that's a big time commitment!

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Dragon Age 2 has to be added soon. It's gnawing at the back of my mind, irritating me that there's a spot missing next to Origins and Inquisition in my collection. Plus I'd love to replay all 3 of them again soon!

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I think they'll be in the next batch of original XBOX BC titles. We're expecting another one soonish.

I don't think so. They're both in the MCC, in better condition, with online. originals would be 4x3 for HCE, 480p 16x9 for H2, and no XBL. yuck.

they've put way too much effort into revamping MCC to do that.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. They're both in the MCC, in better condition, with online. originals would be 4x3 for HCE, 480p 16x9 for H2, and no XBL. yuck.

Nonsense. OG Xbox Grabbed by the Ghoulies was made BC despite being ported to Xbox One in Rare Replay. Also OG Xbox BC titles also benefit from 16x pixels on Xbox One X along with the enhancements at the hardware level such as faster load times, hitiing it's target frame rate more often or all the time, 12x AF, etc....

There is merit in making the original games BC and preserving them as they were.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Dragon Age 2 has to be added soon. It's gnawing at the back of my mind, irritating me that there's a spot missing next to Origins and Inquisition in my collection. Plus I'd love to replay all 3 of them again soon!

Totally agree. Dragon Age 2 is my most-wanted remaining BC release.

One reason why is that its PC version does not have controller support. When there is no PC controller support - or there is no PC version period - a game immediately shoots up my wishlist. And I actually enjoyed DA2. :)

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I feel like I just came back from a coma. I stopped catching up with the BC announcements ages ago only to find out today that almost every single classic I wanted to play, including a large list of SEGA's finest, is available right now.

Welp. Time to buy an X I guess. I doubt I'll be able to hold on past E3. Daytona USA HD here we go (guess I'm buying a Thrustmaster TMX or something similar too!). BC truly is the most underrated, incredible selling point of the platform.

If they can bring OutRun C2C, Sega Rally Revo, Ninja Gaiden II, Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, every single thing in my personal wishlist will be BC. And if they release a white X, I'll live my SEGA, SHIRO! Saturn and Dreamcast fantasies.

Pretty amazing, huh? I was a bit skeptical they would keep this up, but they are now up to about 500 games, most of witch run much better than they did on the original console they came out on. The Wiki page has the most up to date, easily sort-able list I've found.

The X-enhanced titles are "high-quality remaster" level, in my opinion. An absolute revelation. Like cleaning off a painting that was covered in dirt.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Nonsense. OG Xbox Grabbed by the Ghoulies was made BC despite being ported to Xbox One in Rare Replay. Also OG Xbox BC titles also benefit from 16x pixels on Xbox One X along with the enhancements at the hardware level such as faster load times, hitiing it's target frame rate more often or all the time, 12x AF, etc....

There is merit in making the original games BC and preserving them as they were.

They already did the work for Rare Replay. And no, I do not think there is merit in playing an inferior version of Halo CE or Halo 2 when there are far superior versions available. And I can almost guarantee MS does not want to muddy their Halo message any further. They already have Halo CEA and Halo CE within MCC, and Halo 2A in MCC with remastered levels along with the original in high res. It's a flagship title - GBG is not.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already did the work for Rare Replay. And no, I do not think there is merit in playing an inferior version of Halo CE or Halo 2 when there are far superior versions available. And I can almost guarantee MS does not want to muddy their Halo message any further. They already have Halo CEA and Halo CE within MCC, and Halo 2A in MCC with remastered levels along with the original in high res. It's a flagship title - GBG is not.
LOL That's some weird logic. People will easily know the difference between the remade Halos in the MCC and the OG Xbox BC Halos. I can almost gurantee you're wrong.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

Didn't MS already announce that the other Halo titles would be coming to BC, or did I imagine that? I'm sure they announced that.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Didn't MS already announce that the other Halo titles would be coming to BC, or did I imagine that? I'm sure they announced that.

They've already let us know that they're on the way. People will be able to do LAN parties again, soon.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Mark of the Ninja Remastered for Nintendo Switch (announced today), spells doom for a BC version?

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I just came back from a coma. I stopped catching up with the BC announcements ages ago only to find out today that almost every single classic I wanted to play, including a large list of SEGA's finest, is available right now.

Welp. Time to buy an X I guess. I doubt I'll be able to hold on past E3. Daytona USA HD here we go (guess I'm buying a Thrustmaster TMX or something similar too!). BC truly is the most underrated, incredible selling point of the platform.

If they can bring OutRun C2C, Sega Rally Revo, Ninja Gaiden II, Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, every single thing in my personal wishlist will be BC. And if they release a white X, I'll live my SEGA, SHIRO! Saturn and Dreamcast fantasies.

Add me on XBL (Gustavo83) if you pick up an XB1. I semi-frequently round up a handful of people for online Daytona USA, or other Sega games.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Add me on XBL (Gustavo83) if you pick up an XB1. I semi-frequently round up a handful of people for online Daytona USA, or other Sega games.
It's happening sooner or later. I don't think it's gonna be longer than a couple months, but if they announce more of my favorites in the coming weeks it might happen even sooner than that. I can't say no to Sega classics.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was my understanding that they were talking about the 360 versions, which all came out and are getting enhanced for the X. Halo 3 already was.
Just like I can almost gurantee OG Xbox Fable and/or Fable: Lost Chapters will be made BC despite being the "inferior" version due to it being remade for 360 with Fable Anniversay and that being made BC to Xbox One as well as it getting X enhanced for Xbox One X.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
LOL That's some weird logic. People will easily know the difference between the remade Halos in the MCC and the OG Xbox BC Halos. I can almost gurantee you're wrong.

Yes, they will notice that they look like shit and are in 4x3 on a 60" OLED. no thanks. Coming from someone who is 36 and played CE in its prime.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they will notice that they look like shit and are in 4x3 on a 60" OLED. no thanks. Coming from someone who is 36 and played CE in its prime.
No they will look fine and there will be plenty of people who will enjoy revisiting the single player campaigns of an increased pixel count of Bungies original vision and art design untouched. It's fine if you're not interested, just ignore them when they become BC.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

People aren't going to be buying OG Xbox Halos, put them against a copy of MCC that they also bought, and then be shocked that the OG Xbox looks worse. If anyone chooses to play the original, it'll be because they either deliberately wish to play the original (it'd likely be far more accurate graphically than any other release) or because they already own it, and didn't buy any of the updated versions.

Anything that can be BC should be as far as I'm concerned.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
No they will look fine and there will be plenty of people who will enjoy revisiting the single player campaigns of an increased pixel count of Bungies original vision and art design untouched. It's fine if you're not interested, just ignore them when they become BC.

The art design is untouched in CE/H2 on MCC. They are the original Mac/PC versions. You can overlay the new graphics, but you don't have to.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, no. Unless you're trying to superbounce or pixel count. Nothing that any normal person would notice.
Sure the differences were subtle but it's somthing hardcore Halo fans might notice who would be the main demographic for this anyway.

For instance here's a difference between fog from the OG Xbox version compared to Halo Anniversary Classic mode.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Sure the differences were subtle but it's somthing hardcore Halo fans might notice who would be the main demographic for this anyway.

For instance here's a difference between fog from the OG Xbox version compared to Halo Anniversary Classic mode.

With the hiring of Sean Cooper and the news of him bringing Custom Edition work into MCC there's hope that Halo Anniversary is going to get another visual pass to rectify those lingering issues in Classic Mode.

Still be neat to have those original games come over regardless.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

So CEA looks better and more like actual fog rather than distance draw limitation masking. No reason to want the original over it. And again, even hardcore players like myself aren't going to care or choose it. Some will, but it'll be a tiny amount and it'll be for maybe a month.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So CEA looks better and more like actual fog rather than distance draw limitation masking. No reason to want the original over it. And again, even hardcore players like myself aren't going to care or choose it. Some will, but it'll be a tiny amount and it'll be for maybe a month.
OK and? You made a claim that you could almost gurantee that OG Xbox Halo CE and Halo 2 would not become BC and I'm giving you reasons why they will do it and why it's worth doing it. Not to mention the biggest reason besides fanservice, it's easy to do. They don't have to ask permission from another publisher or relicense anything since Microsoft owns everything, and it also increases their list of OG Xbox BC. You not interested in somthing means nothing, just ignore it and continue to play your "superior" versions. But when they do become BC just reply back, "I was wrong, you were right" and deal with the fact some people will enjoy playing these "inferior" versions as they remembered only with increased pixel count, AF, loading and performance

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
But Ms publishing deal for xbla games likely had different terms/duration given it was the only way to get in xbla in the first place.

It'd likely be a lot looser in regards to people taking the games to other platforms at a later date. I can't imagine that MS would need permission to make it BC however.

I mean Jonathan Blow was publically annoyed about choices MS was able to make on his behalf with Braid iirc, and it his apparent hate of MS didn't prevent it being BC.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

I wouldn't call the MCC CE being in "better condition" than the original other than 60fps-ish. It is important to preserve the original CE experience because it's quite different to what we have now in MCC.

Plus, Halo 3 is in MCC as well but MS went out of the way to give that a 4K treatment, so there is premise.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
Should have expected nothing with a big first party release today.

Shout out to ubisoft for allowing assassins creed rogue bc last year and not making me buy their remaster. And ea with burnout paradise.

Imo ea, ubisoft and Sega are the heroes of bc. Capcom are the villains.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
You're nuts if you don't believe they'll support HCE and H2 via BC. The "not muddy the water" logic doesn't even make sense. HCEA, H3, ODST, Halo Wars, and Spartan Assault are all already BC despite having native XB1 versions, and all but Halo Wars were made BC AFTER those native versions dropped. And with OG/360/X1 LAN crossplay being a touted feature of OG Xbox BC, of COURSE *the* two premiere LAN experiences on the OG Xbox will make it over.

Look like shit? You know they upscale OG Xbox games on Xbox one right?
Apparently they don't know that, as they said it would be 480p above.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Mark of the Ninja Remastered for Nintendo Switch (announced today), spells doom for a BC version?

I didn't realise a Switch remaster of this was happening - still hoping to play this again on the X1, it's one of those games that's been around a while, you'd think it would be scheduled for BC sooner or later.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
It is important to preserve the original CE experience because it's quite different to what we have now in MCC.
Plus, Halo 3 is in MCC as well but MS went out of the way to give that a 4K treatment, so there is premise.

You're nuts if you don't believe they'll support HCE and H2 via BC.

I understand the importance of preservation for historians, hardcore fans, etc. but the pool of customers who are interested in actually buying the OG versions of H1 and H2 are probably not that big. I can't imagine a for-profit company having much impetus for doing this, especially while they're pouring more money into the MCC, but who knows. Yes, H3 got the treatment but I'm pretty sure I read they used it as a test-bed for the BC technology so it was kind of a freebie. Also, there is a huge difference between H3 and OG H2, which is the servers and matchmaking still work with H3. Making H1/H2 BC may not be that difficult, but releasing them for BC with no matchmaking support seems like a recipe for complaints and disappointment. If you add in the cost of developing some sort of matchmaking solution for them, it then certainly becomes a money-losing venture.

After saying all that, I think they'll probably release them anyway due to Halo being one of their core IPs, but it will probably be sans matchmaking on H2, and there will be lots of complaints.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Just to clarify, part of the reason many are excited for original Xbox games on BC is because they still work over LAN with original hardware, and for the 1X, they have standardized enhancements that make them look very nice on a 4K display. Every original Xbox game released lacks the old XBL connectivity, and that's widely understood. Having a popular game added to BC isn't an either/or situation. Assuming the licensing, compatibility, and popularity is there, it's likely to appear, given enough time for testing in the QA pipeline.

Halo CE, for example, is already backwards compatible on the Xbox 360 and sold digitally there. I think that's very likely to show up in the spring batch of games for XB1.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the importance of preservation for historians, hardcore fans, etc. but the pool of customers who are interested in actually buying the OG versions of H1 and H2 are probably not that big. I can't imagine a for-profit company having much impetus for doing this, especially while they're pouring more money into the MCC, but who knows. Yes, H3 got the treatment but I'm pretty sure I read they used it as a test-bed for the BC technology so it was kind of a freebie. Also, there is a huge difference between H3 and OG H2, which is the servers and matchmaking still work with H3. Making H1/H2 BC may not be that difficult, but releasing them for BC with no matchmaking support seems like a recipe for complaints and disappointment. If you add in the cost of developing some sort of matchmaking solution for them, it then certainly becomes a money-losing venture.

After saying all that, I think they'll probably release them anyway due to Halo being one of their core IPs, but it will probably be sans matchmaking on H2, and there will be lots of complaints.
You just said the pool of customers interested in actually buying the OG versions of H1 and H2 are probably not that big but there will be lots of complaints due to lack of a matchmaking solution? Which is it? Little interest or Lots of complaints?

I think you're overthinking this. Microsoft has made it clear there is no Xbox Live support for OG Xbox BC titles. MCC is the go to for Halo CE and Halo 2 online multiplayer that's currently getting fixed and afterwards will likely be put on Game Pass and released on Windows 10. The people interested will be fine replaying the singleplayer campaigns of OG Xbox Halo CE and Halo 2 BC as they were originally conceived, playing splitscreen co op single player campaign, Lan multiplayer, and using unofficial online solutions to play Halo 2 multiplayer online with friends.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

It would be safe to say the entire BC initiative, especially all these enhancements, is a money losing practice for now. But MS is doing it for the long run, for keeping the players in their ecosystem, and it will pay off the long term. Plus, OG CE and H2's campaign is still something Halo fans want to play, system link still works, hell you can even link up with some OG Xboxes if that is your thing. I highly doubt many people will complain about the lack of matchmaking because OG Xbox Live was gone for 8 years, not 8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.