• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
heh, over the last year I 100%ed destiny on 360 so that I could solo Crota, which is practically impossible now on Xbox One.

360 still has a decent community. And it's possible if you earned more achievements on xbox one before Rise of Iron's release, going back and booting up the 360 game will unlock them on 360. My friend found that out. Had a ton pop up as he was finalizing install i think in-game.
You can still import your 360 character in Destiny X1, but your imported character won't show any change or growth after a certain date in 2017.

It'd get both. The XB1 will pillar box the 4:3 game, then the TV will letterbox that after.
Xbox 360 supported 4/3 HD resolution like 1024x768, and some early games (Gears of War, for example) even have a native 4/3 rendering mode.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You can still import your 360 character in Destiny X1, but your imported character won't show any change or growth after a certain date in 2017.

Actually it's on the time of import if you're going from 360 to xbox one. So you can choose to do it at any time. Doing this splits it into two progresses. The old original one was demoted and the new duplicated updated one is the one you can see if you use companion apps and things. When you boot up an xbox one it will ask you if you want to do that transfer and permanently split progress, or return to title screen and do it later. So right now I'm casually playing through a few things before I transfer.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Actually it's on the time of import if you're going from 360 to xbox one. So you can choose to do it at any time. Doing this splits it into two progresses. The old original one was demoted and the new duplicated updated one is the one you can see if you use companion apps and things. When you boot up an xbox one it will ask you if you want to do that transfer and permanently split progress, or return to title screen and do it later. So right now I'm casually playing through a few things before I transfer.
you know your Destiny better than me :)

I bought last year for 5€ Destiny 1 complete at a local store, but I couldn't even finish the first mission in the last Iron-something DLC!
It unlocked ALL my 360 achievements on the Xbox One version tho. I made 860g that day!

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox 360 supported 4/3 HD resolution like 1024x768, and some early games (Gears of War, for example) even have a native 4/3 rendering mode.

Yup, I used this myself a few times back in the day. Unfortunately XB1 doesn't have the same level of support for non-standard resolutions, and BC titles would inherit the XB1's output before it gets to the monitor.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
you know your Destiny better than me :)

I bought last year for 5€ Destiny 1 complete at a local store, but I couldn't even finish the first mission in the last Iron-something DLC!
It unlocked ALL my 360 achievements on the Xbox One version tho. I made 860g that day!

I've recently been going back clearing my 360 backlog and found that Dragon Age Inquisition actually does the same thing. I've bounced off it a few times but I decided since I had a copy on 360 I'm going to sit down and grab the achievements. You have to sort of turn off your brain a bit for a lot of this game, but now that I have the right expectations I'm starting to enjoy it. Either way it'll be an easy..."1165" gamerscore....huh.... when I transfer to xbox one eventually.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah that's called window boxing. I don't think you can pass 4:3 over HDMI unless it's been specially designed to do that. But the BC games are designed to not letterbox. So you would probably get pillars since it's designed to show the bars on the sides since it assumes your TV is 16:9

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
360 still has a decent community. And it's possible if you earned more achievements on xbox one before Rise of Iron's release, going back and booting up the 360 game will unlock them on 360. My friend found that out. Had a ton pop up as he was finalizing install i think in-game.

Yeah I borrowed a disc at some point after I had about 800GS in Destiny on X1 just to pop them again.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I borrowed a disc at some point after I had about 800GS in Destiny on X1 just to pop them again.
Honestly, why are you needlessly bumping this thread? You were the last to post yesterday morning, and now you're quoting posts from half a week ago and bumping it again this morning.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, why are you needlessly bumping this thread? You were the last to post yesterday morning, and now you're quoting posts from half a week ago and bumping it again this morning.

I mean, this is the thread for anything related to BC. Talking about the quirks of BC vs cross gen partial BC features like transferring achievements isn't that far off.

If you're concerned with the thread being bumped, I mean. Why would you check this thread for news? If BC starts back up again, it absolutely will be getting it's own thread. Until that happens, there's not much point in following this thread for news. We know that for like at least probably a year we are not going to see any news, so there's not really any reason to be any more concerned about this thread getting bumped than any other about something that doesn't really affect you.

Like we've had people complain about someone just asking a question. This thread is not just for announcements and begging for other announcements in between.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is this bit on Xbox One games in the recent news about Xbox Series X:

Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required.

Is this what the Backwards Compatibility team was working on? Improved resolution for Xbox One games with no developer work required. Ryse, Sunset Overdrive and other games that will never get patched at a higher resolution thanks to what, Heutchy method for Xbox One games?

Feb 27, 2019

Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required.

Is this what the Backwards Compatibility team was working on? Improved resolution for Xbox One games with no developer work required. Ryse, Sunset Overdrive and other games that will never get patched at a higher resolution thanks to what, Heutchy method for Xbox One games?

Yes, along with making sure all Xbox One and BC games work smoothly on XSX day one. (See recent Phil Spencer interviews.) Gotta be kind of a crazy task with thousands of games.

What would really get me jazzed would be if they announce that a new set of 360 and OG games are coming to BC on XSX at its launch. Probably would be an announcement that comes later but we can dream!

Plus the emphasis they are putting on the "four generations of gaming" thing definitely makes it possible. Have to wait and see!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I'm wondering if series X will be able to do universal resolution enhancements for 360 and One games the same way we have it for original Xbox games. Would be nice!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Yeah, I always thought it was obvious they stepped away from current gen BC enhancements in order to take what they did on the Xbox One X to another level and across a wider gambit of games for next gen. With some of the things we're seeing with ML and seeing how the BC team was already using that to an extent, I'm excited to see what the next generation of BC and ML enhancements looks like.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019

I really hope so. Some of the early Xbox One games look pretty rough.

Ex: Pillars of Eternity looks really weird on my X, it's very jaggy and the texture quality is puzzling.

I would love to play AC Black Flag and Dragon Age Inquisition on the Series X at 4k.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017

They could be talking about games that use dynamic resolution getting resolution boosts thanks to the hardware.

Would be great if they could find ways to res boost early Xbox One games through other methods though.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

It's probably more along the lines of how playing a non-enhanced game on an Xbox One X still ends up running better (hits the framerate cap more easily) or looking better (hits the resolution cap more easily, if the game uses dynamic resolution).

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They could be talking about games that use dynamic resolution getting resolution boosts thanks to the hardware.

Would be great if they could find ways to res boost early Xbox One games through other methods though.
looking better (hits the resolution cap more easily, if the game uses dynamic resolution
Wouldn't that somehow fall under "steadier resolution" if they were talking about dynamic resolution? :D

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It's probably more along the lines of how playing a non-enhanced game on an Xbox One X still ends up running better (hits the framerate cap more easily) or looking better (hits the resolution cap more easily, if the game uses dynamic resolution).

I believe it's more than that. The BC team already did more than that with the Xbox One X. We'll have to wait for official specifics....but I'd be betting on the BC team to wow us again.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't that somehow fall under "steadier resolution" if they were talking about dynamic resolution? :D
I believe it's more than that. The BC team already did more than that with the Xbox One X. We'll have to wait for official specifics....but I'd be betting on the BC team to wow us again.
Maybe. I do hope I'm wrong. There are a lot of early-gen games that never got X updates even when their PS4/PS4 Pro counterparts did get an update, so if they manage to go back and work their magic somehow, I'll be a very happy camper.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances that they have a secret surprise, that the whole OG XB library is backwards compatible? C'mon, Burnout 3!!

Petran

Oct 29, 2017

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Thats Gears 5, you can see Jack's Ability on the top corner of the screen. So I'm thinking it might be something Raytraced when the Series X launches...

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsubscribe? Chill out. There is no news and won't be for a long time.
I mean, this is the thread for anything related to BC. Talking about the quirks of BC vs cross gen partial BC features like transferring achievements isn't that far off.

If you're concerned with the thread being bumped, I mean. Why would you check this thread for news? If BC starts back up again, it absolutely will be getting it's own thread. Until that happens, there's not much point in following this thread for news. We know that for like at least probably a year we are not going to see any news, so there's not really any reason to be any more concerned about this thread getting bumped than any other about something that doesn't really affect you.

Like we've had people complain about someone just asking a question. This thread is not just for announcements and begging for other announcements in between.
Just unsubscribe if it bothers you?
Sorry, the tone of my post came out more harsh than I intended. I just want new news on BC games! Apologies for the rude comment.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, the tone of my post came out more harsh than I intended. I just want new news on BC games! Apologies for the rude comment.

We can all identify for sure yeah.

I want more BC 4K games man. I hope that they focus even more on that since with series X I think even more people will have HD capable xboxes for BC.

Really glad they at least went and made the rare games all 4K last minute.

But I still want Alan Wake, El Shaddai, Arkham Origins, Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age 1 and 2, SSX 2012, and more to be 4K. Especially since a few of those are console only, and things like Arkham Origins have the rest of their games on xbox at 4K like with return to arkham.

Also would be nice if they'd make stuff like Arkham Origins purchasable digitally.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

I want more BC 4K games man. I hope that they focus even more on that since with series X I think even more people will have HD capable xboxes for BC.
Same, I've been holding off replaying some games recently with the hope that there might be enhancements for them on the Series X.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But I still want Alan Wake, El Shaddai, Arkham Origins, Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age 1 and 2, SSX 2012, and more to be 4K. Especially since a few of those are console only, and things like Arkham Origins have the rest of their games on xbox at 4K like with return to arkham.

Also would be nice if they'd make stuff like Arkham Origins purchasable digitally.
Unfortunately none of the Arkham games on Xbox One are remotely close to 4k. I'm down for all the 360 BC Arkham games to get 4k enhanced along with Arkham Origins becoming BC and listed on the marketplace to be purchased digitally.

I also want all console only games and MS first party to at least made BC, listed on the marketplace, and hopefully get 4K enhanced. Would love to see games like Majin The Forsaken Kingdom, Ninja Blade, and Lollipop Chainsaw.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Alan Wake, Dead Space trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, the Crysis trilogy, Max Payne 3, and Fallout: New Vegas are the top games for me.

I feel like none of those are going to happen though unfortunately.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I think Remedy will put out an Alan Wake 10th anniversary edition in 4K this year, to go along with the Control DLC