Jezz

Apr 9, 2019
259$ is still too much. I expected 230$-. On the Internet a normal Xbox One S can be found at the same price.

Feb 10, 2018
What's with all these low effort drive by "terrible price" posts?

Can you folks doing these at least explain why you think the price is terrible, please.

Feb 10, 2018
Hmnn.. Personally I would have called it the Xbox One D and painted it a different color so it wouldn't be confused with the S. It would have been $199 USD (which I still think the All digital edition will be when announced) and no games just a month of gamepass and gold.

Yes, I can see people buying this by mistake and trying to put a disc in it.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
You expected the official price to be lower than BF price?
Its 70$ cheaper
In my country BF is just a light sale day, nothing like NA. Since its a no disk console, yes, I expected it to be 150e. No point in buying this, when with disks it has a lower price.
Well, its 180 even rn, without discounts in amazon.

Last edited:

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I don't get the price.

In The Netherlands we have some deals now at some shops.
Xbox One S 1TB with a second controller and digital Rare Replay, Forza 4, Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 altogether for 199.
So 199 for a console with no disc drive with no games and with JUST 1TB is stupid. Should have been 150.

Feb 15, 2019
To me, it's pretty easy. I do not care what the MSRP is. I do not care what the difference in MSRP is.
If I go shopping online or in a store or whatever. I check for the best deal. And naturally, I am very aware that in the future, be it near or far, it'll get a sale or a price reduction yes. But I don't care about its price in the future (unless it's the very near future that is). I wanted a good deal on an Xbox as a gift to a friend of mine. I can't do anything with "Sure but it'll possibly be cheaper with sales or so in autumn."

For reference, this is what I can (and probably will) buy right now.

12471b9991c27ea516e6af977f58b111.png

That's pretty much the state of Xbox in Europe as a whole I feel. Look at that ridiculous difference in value. Sale or no sale, I feel with its base price at 230 euro that it'll be a long, long ass time before any deal on that will be worth it compared to deals like this, if ever.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Can you folks doing these at least explain why you think the price is terrible, please.

Xbox One S with UHD drive can be bought new for around the same price. The price of the digital console is not stimulating enough to accept the loss of the UHD drive. What's the point? Xbox One S can everything the digital console can and more for almost the same price.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me, it's pretty easy. I do not care what the MSRP is. I do not care what the difference in MSRP is.
If I go shopping online or in a store or whatever. I check for the best deal. And naturally, I am very aware that in the future, be it near or far, it'll get a sale or a price reduction yes. But I don't care about its price in the future (unless it's the very near future that is). I wanted a good deal on an Xbox as a gift to a friend of mine. I can't do anything with "Sure but it'll possibly be cheaper with sales or so in autumn."

For reference, this is what I can (and probably will) buy right now.

12471b9991c27ea516e6af977f58b111.png

That's pretty much the state of Xbox in Europe as a whole I feel. Look at that ridiculous difference in value. Sale or no sale, I feel with its base price at 230 euro that it'll be a long, long ass time before any deal on that will be worth it compared to deals like this, if ever.
Game Mania? That's one hell of a deal. And new as well, not one of their refurbished/used offers.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
That price if true is abysmal. Xbox One S's are cheaper than that on sale (and if you don't buy the console in the sale then you are either unlucky or impatient as they happen all the time!).

I expect it to have game pass for at least 3 months and a couple of games for life in the box.

They need to make money I get that but this is just laughable.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They could have at least included FH4 and not FH3. Minecraft and SoT are also not great, or rather cheap for MS to include.

I can get an XBox One S 1TB with Forza Horizon 4 right now for 199€. Sure that's not the MSRP, but that's still cheaper than the all-digital XBox so this thing has to be discounted immediately by retailers to be cheaper than a regular XBox One S.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Xbox One SAD great name.

Honestly, I think a cheaper OneX without a drive would be better.
But a drive itself isn't that expensive tbh

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If this thing needs deep sales to even become a feasible option for the consumer, why the hell are they even putting the MSRP this high? Surely they can't be blind to the fact that One S units are regularly selling for as low as 160 these days. With a disc drive.

The One S and One X have major pricecuts at retail because they aren't selling at their MSRP. Why not just account for this and put the MSRP price of the diskless version lower? This just makes the launch of this version all the more uninteresting. Yeah sure it's getting sales cuts come holiday season, but the One S will likely be selling for the same amount seeing it's an older SKU that's steadily dropping in price.

Oct 31, 2017
.... but wouldn't it be cheaper without a disc drive/parts?
The disc drive itself will cost very little so I doubt they're really saving that much on the production cost, although every little helps from a profibility POV. I think other posters are right and this is a test balloon for removing the drive rather than any serious attempt to reduce the cost, after all if you include development/tooling costs for the changes to remove the drive then I doubt they're saving much/anything at all in reality.

They probably want to compare the sales of this on a weekly basis against the one with a disc drive and see if consumers treat them interchangeably or not. This isn't an attempt to increase sales, but to see if people care about disc drives or not when making their purchase.

Last edited:

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
That's a terrible price. From where I am staying currently, its quite common to see a sale where you can get the One S (1TB) + FH4 bundle for SGD$269 (roughly USD$200 / €165). Thats not the official MSRP but that promotion shows up almost on a monthly basis.

Might as well just get the normal One S and not use the disc drive...

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
That's a terrible price. From where I am staying currently, its quite common to see a sale where you can get the One S (1TB) + FH4 bundle for SGD$269 (roughly USD$200 / €165). Thats not the official MSRP but that promotion shows up almost on a monthly basis.

Might as well just get the normal One S and not use the disc drive...

I don't know why this last line made me laugh so much. Made me think of a dad buying the cheaper S , going home and taping up the disk drive and telling the kids to never use it

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can purchase an Xbox One S (w/ UHD) on Amazon right now for $299 CAD. The converted price from EUR puts this at $345 CAD. Hope they're offering some deep discounts.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I kinda want an Xbox for Halo MCC and Forza Horizon, but I kinda want an X and not spend more than 200. The regular XboxOne seems too outdated by now, especially when you have a 4k TV.
So this makes this one pretty unattractive to me.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017

Well quite a few people have mentioned why. The regular xbox is sold for less than that in a lot of european countries at least. I was really tempted to get one for 140 euro for xbox+ FH3. That was 2 years ago. There honeslty seems to be a deal on a weekly basis at this point..

For example:

I don't get the price.

In The Netherlands we have some deals now at some shops.
Xbox One S 1TB with a second controller and digital Rare Replay, Forza 4, Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 altogether for 199.
So 199 for a console with no disc drive with no games and with JUST 1TB is stupid. Should have been 150.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt there'd be heightened interest in Xbox 1 at that price. Hope this isnt the case.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Realistically you're looking at around £200 here in the UK. For most people that's just too much for an all digital console. You can pick up one with a drive for under £200 these days and then just buy any number of pre-owned titles for a few quid. Plus there's often sales on the console throughout the year, you could get one just before Christmas for £130 at one point!

If they're wanting it to be any kind of success it needs to be sub £150 at the most.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I know people were expecting less but you're not shaving that much off the cost from just removing the disc drive. So a $50 cut sounds about right. I wonder if they'll be able to drop it down to $200 by the holidays.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
That would still be more expensive than the regular S.
I didn't say it wouldn't though. Given how Xbox is practically on sale here 24/7, I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't cheaper than the base One S after the launch period. And during the Prime Day/BF sales it'll probably go for around the £150 mark.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
It's like the PSP Go all over again.

It's way too expensive and the S with BOTH OPTIONS of physical and digital is cheaper.

Also lol just an S with plastic covering the drive slot. I understand why they wouldn't redesign the console because of cost, but it just looks cheap.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It's like the PSP Go all over again.

It's way too expensive and the S with BOTH OPTIONS of physical and digital is cheaper.

Also lol just an S with plastic covering the drive slot. I understand why they wouldn't redesign the console because of cost, but it just looks cheap.
At least with a portable, and particularly the PSP, it made a bit more sense.

You got a smaller device (which is more important for a handheld), and you got more internal storage (and expandable storage was expensive for the PSP).

Neither of those advantages for the PSPgo versus the PSP apply to the Xbox One SAD vs the Xbox One S.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I still have a Masterchief XB1 I bought at WalMart for $179 a couple years ago that I haven't used yet.

I expected a similar price to that with at least a 2TB HD this late in the generation.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking about buying of these for my spare bedroom, but that price is too much. I'm honestly surprised, because I thought Microsoft was paying more attention to the market. This looks like a completely tone-deaf decision.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Isn't this marketing 101?

Step 1: Introduce new, cheaper console at a "high" MSRP. $250
Step 2: Existing inventory of older console is depleted due to perceived value proposition. $200 - $250
Step 3: After six months on the market the new, cheaper console is primed for the holiday season with a holiday sale. ~$200
Step 4: Older inventory has been sold through and higher volume sales with higher profit margin accomplished on new inventory.
Step 5: Release press release thanking the fans and boasting about triple digit increase in YoY sales.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Xbox One S with UHD drive can be bought new for around the same price. The price of the digital console is not stimulating enough to accept the loss of the UHD drive. What's the point? Xbox One S can everything the digital console can and more for almost the same price.
I dont understand the attempts to justify.
I don't get it

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if this is partially the result of UHD drives not coming down in price due to lack of adoption. Though this is Microsoft, we'll see a 'limited time' promo price soon at $200 and probably less at Black Friday (Sony seems to do this too now with their consoles).

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

Step 2: Existing inventory of older console is depleted due to perceived value proposition. $200 - $250
Step 3: After six months on the market the new, cheaper console is primed for the holiday season with a holiday sale. ~$200
Step 4: Older inventory has been sold through and higher volume sales with higher profit margin accomplished on new inventory.
Step 5: Release press release thanking the fans and boasting about triple digit increase in YoY sales.

Except the only way to play UHD on any Console to this day at this point is still either getting an X or an S with the disk drive.

There is no loss in value when it still has the most to offer of any Console if you have a 4K TV.

Which is more weird by the fact that it only includes a 1 TB hard drive and you can still get 2 TB Xboxs for nearly the same price

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seems like a convoluted way to try and spark some momentum.