• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
If an Xbox One X could be modded to run full desktop Windows 10, could it be a viable purchase for 500 bucks? What cons would it have vs a laptop/PC ?

**Thread was created for contributor/member "Pif" as part of the Adopt a User Program. If you any specific questions or comments in regards to the content of the OP, please reach out to him directly: https://www.resetera.com/members/pif.21406/

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks mate.

Given the popularity of the topic "Can a 500 PC match an X1X" I wondered if the opposite would produce an interesting take on the discussion.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing stopping the XBOX 1 X from running a full Desktop OS except Microsoft. This is what they should be doing. Imagine in a small dorm room you could buy a high end game consoles in one for $500.00

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is nothing stopping the XBOX 1 X from running a full Desktop OS except Microsoft. This is what they should be doing. Imagine in a small dorm room you could buy a high end game consoles in one for $500.00

Actually that would make me buy an X1X at launch. Guess MS won't do it because of hackers?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Actually that would make me buy an X1X at launch. Guess MS won't do it because of hackers?

Maybe make a closed more secure version of windows 10 for the xbox?

Heck I'd love it if they just added windows apps like excel and word and mouse/keyboard support!

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of the direction I kept expecting them to go in. I still think they need to offer up an option on Windows 10 PC's for an "Xbox Mode" as well. But yea, effectively a high performance steam box type system with the ability to boot into a higher performance Xbox Mode for gaming would be great. The problem is then dealing with game sales, physical media, exposing the OS further, etc.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If they ditch the closed ecosystem. XBX is very appealing as a miniPC. Price to performance is very good. I would buy one as my steambox

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would also cannibalize their SAAS sales (Xbox Live), which is probably, like Sony, one of, if not their most profitable part of the business.

When you start to open up the ecosystems prevalent in console gaming, you begin to see how quickly they fall apart honestly. It's great for the consumer. Not so great for the business usually. Not saying it still wouldn't be profitable. But they'd have to revise their current business model that they helped make the industry gold standard.

Last edited:

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England
What cons would it have vs a laptop/PC ?

I think that it's a little bit like an Intel NUC. You get a lot of compromises in terms of raw power in order to get it to laptop-like compactness and heat profile, but you don't get the portability of a laptop in exchange.

Unlike a NUC, Microsoft is subsidizing a lot of the price, because it expects to make its money back in licensing and and Live fees. That makes it potentially worthwhile ... except that there's no way that Microsoft is going to let you get away with installing a full OS on it and doing an end run around all those sweet fees they're expecting to collect, directly or indirectly, from you.

I'm a little disappointed that Cory Doctorow's prediction about free Xboxen didn't come true. It would be truly worthwhile to jump through the hoops to hack it if you got the base box for free. Of course, that's probably why the box ain't free :-)

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think that it's a little bit like an Intel NUC. You get a lot of compromises in terms of raw power in order to get it to laptop-like compactness and heat profile, but you don't get the portability of a laptop in exchange.

Unlike a NUC, Microsoft is subsidizing a lot of the price, because it expects to make its money back in licensing and and Live fees. That makes it potentially worthwhile ... except that there's no way that Microsoft is going to let you get away with installing a full OS on it and doing an end run around all those sweet fees they're expecting to collect, directly or indirectly, from you.

I'm a little disappointed that Cory Doctorow's prediction about free Xboxen didn't come true. It would be truly worthwhile to jump through the hoops to hack it if you got the base box for free. Of course, that's probably why the box ain't free :-)
Consoles are almost never sold at a loss anymore. If they are it's a very tiny amount. They just usually aren't high margin items.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
this is what pc manufacturers should be doing. Making high end very small form factors. Alienware would probably make more money selling empty cases than actual desktops.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there a base model of Windows 10 for education or something that locks you into the MS Store only? Something like that would work for the Xbox I'd guess.

I would love to have that functionality, but it's not really needed.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

I guess Microsoft is doing this in the first place to prevent people running other (cheaper and open) stores and ecosystems like Steam or GoG. Most of their revenue on Xbox is from Gold subscriptions and the cut they get from every game sold in their closed ecosystem.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No way MS is allowing 3rd party stores like Steam on Xbox but I will buy definitely buy it!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of the productivity software you might want in a normal Win10 environment would be compromised by the CPU. That said, the option of carring over normal Store apps would be a cool bonus.