• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you subscribe to GP?

• Yes you fool, it is the best value in gaming!

Votes: 1,105 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 8.5%

• Total voters

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
not a series owner but i wouldn't subscribe.

gamepass is not the best value in gaming. buying year old releases at $10 or less a pop is overall cheaper because:

1. at least to date, MS first party games aren't worth playing. over all of last generation only 2 games caught my fancy and both were ori. therefore i have no perceived value in getting MS games day-1.
2. the non-MS first party games on the service aren't even close to new games. they are the old games that can be purchased for next to nothing anyways.
3. gamepass doesn't get all the games i want to play so it would be gamepass + individual purchases increasing the amount of money i put into gaming each year because...
2. at $180 gamepass cost more per year than i currently pay to own games because i don't play more than ~15 games a year anyways.

if you love and buy all MS first party then sure it's a great value. but for the rest of the library,.. it's no different than GoG or ps+ to me. it's a gamble that maybe you get access to a game you want but mostly it is a bunch of stuff you just don't want.

i can clearly see why some people would find this service to be amazing. ...but you guys seriously need to acknowledge that there are tons of gamers for which this service isn't such a good value for. MS wants this service to be the "netflix of gaming" but right now it is the "HBO max of gaming".

Normally I don't feed the trolls, but what the hell, I'm bored.

1. This is purely subjective, but even so, most games are good at a price, and this is even more true of the XGS games. You say you didn't care much for the XGS games outside of Ori, but those games are right now on sale for $25 total, which is more than 2 months of Xbox Gamepass. So you would still save money there on top of having access to several other Metroidvania games such as Bloodstained Ritual of the Night and Luna Nights among other games. On top of that, you can play games like Halo or Gears of War or Quantum Break which you have undoubtedly heard good things about because why not play them for no extra cost?

2. Right now, you have a point, but last year they had added 2 new games, Metro Exodus and Devil May Cry 5, which had come out less than four months prior. This year has been lacking on more recent AAA games, but what big AAA games could they have added this year? And again, going off of the current catalog, say you want to play The Witcher 3 or A Plague Tale Innocence or Bloodstained Ritual of the Night or Doom Eternal, but could you really get all of those games for less than $20? Or hell, less than $60, or 6 months of Gamepass, assuming 1 month per the 6 games listed (Ori, Doom, Witcher, Plague Tale, Bloodstained, any other game)

3/4: $180 a year is only for Gamepass Ultimate, there is the tier that is just console Gamepass for $100 a year, much more manageable. All that is is one AAA game and 2 Indie games, but when you look at the catalog of games on offer, you would probably find yourself saving money. Sure it won't have every game, doubly so on release, but why buy more than one game at a time anyway? You could argue that buying multiple games at a time is wasting money as well because by the time you get to a given game there may be sales already for it

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
My Game Pass Ultimate expires 2 years from now. My friend got a Series X day one as well, and was saying how he wanted to cancel Game Pass because "there aren't many good games on it."

which seems crazy to me.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Game Pass is the reason I bought a Series S at all this holiday. I'd personally be happy with just a PS5, but it feels worth having Xbox as a secondary system just because I can get it without paying a dime for games.

Yes I know that Game Pass has a monthly fee, but not if you use Microsoft Rewards diligently enough...

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
You know Game Pass doesn't prevent you buying games right?

That was a PS Plus issue. Not Game Pass.
That is right, but PS+ wouldn't have either, because I usually buy retail games. The point just is, of the games released 2020, there is exactly one that I wanted to play and that was in Game Pass - Ori 2. Buying Ori 2 retail cost me 10€. Buying Games Pass for 2020 would have been more expensive and I wouldn't have owned anything.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
Normally I don't feed the trolls, but what the hell, I'm bored.

1. This is purely subjective, but even so, most games are good at a price, and this is even more true of the XGS games. You say you didn't care much for the XGS games outside of Ori, but those games are right now on sale for $25 total, which is more than 2 months of Xbox Gamepass. So you would still save money there on top of having access to several other Metroidvania games such as Bloodstained Ritual of the Night and Luna Nights among other games. On top of that, you can play games like Halo or Gears of War or Quantum Break which you have undoubtedly heard good things about because why not play them for no extra cost?

2. Right now, you have a point, but last year they had added 2 new games, Metro Exodus and Devil May Cry 5, which had come out less than four months prior. This year has been lacking on more recent AAA games, but what big AAA games could they have added this year? And again, going off of the current catalog, say you want to play The Witcher 3 or A Plague Tale Innocence or Bloodstained Ritual of the Night or Doom Eternal, but could you really get all of those games for less than $20? Or hell, less than $60, or 6 months of Gamepass, assuming 1 month per the 6 games listed (Ori, Doom, Witcher, Plague Tale, Bloodstained, any other game)

3/4: $180 a year is only for Gamepass Ultimate, there is the tier that is just console Gamepass for $100 a year, much more manageable. All that is is one AAA game and 2 Indie games, but when you look at the catalog of games on offer, you would probably find yourself saving money. Sure it won't have every game, doubly so on release, but why buy more than one game at a time anyway? You could argue that buying multiple games at a time is wasting money as well because by the time you get to a given game there may be sales already for it

i just want to say:

1. i'm not trying to be a troll
2. i'm pretty new here. despite sharing what is clearly an unpopular opinion most of the replies have been very civil disagreement. i do appreciate that.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
yeah I normally have it active and try out different games, and play thru smaller games pretty often. and when I find a bigger game on it that I really like, I play all the way thru it. I'll cancel for a month a couple times a year if I'm playing thru a bigger game on PS4 or Switch that is taking all my gaming time.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
There's never any deals like that in the UK. You get a month for ÂŁ1 every now and then, and they never let you stack them at that price so it's always sub for a month then stop.

If there were cheap yearly subs I'd more likely be an active subscriber. I mean PS Now being ÂŁ50 for a year is the reason I sub to it. Yearly subs I can get behind and I wish Gamepass would just have them.
I got 3yrs for ~ÂŁ82.
3 separate 12 months Xbox live gold subs which were all upgraded by the ÂŁ1 upgrade that MS provides.
Check out the links that some other posters put in this thread, you can get really cheap ones from different regions. You may need a free VPN chrome plugin to shift country to the cheapest region when entering the relevant code.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Nope, probably will get a 3 month sub when The Medium comes out.
Yup- this is how I've been approaching it. Sub only for the month a bigger title I'm interested in and turn off auto renew.

Has worked pretty well so far. Only paid a hand full of months since it launched and got to play the games I'm interested in (which honestly has been very few).

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nope. I can see the value in it. But I just don't have that sort of time.

I will pay for a month if something exclusive is added and it ends up being good, halo will likely be the next time...but I can't imagine ever having an all year round sub.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The ONLY reason I stay in the Xbox ecosystem. You can regularly find it at significant discount too.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That is right, but PS+ wouldn't have either, because I usually buy retail games. The point just is, of the games released 2020, there is exactly one that I wanted to play and that was in Game Pass - Ori 2. Buying Ori 2 retail cost me 10€. Buying Games Pass for 2020 would have been more expensive and I wouldn't have owned anything.

Really? Not Doom Eternal? Red Dead 2? Devil May Cry 5?

There's 250 games on there and Ori was all you wanted to play?

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's a great value for any Xbox owner especially if you get it for extremely cheap ($91 for 2 years is a steal IMO), but since I sold my Xbone X and now play everything on PC, it's less compelling. I don't play the vast majority of games offered on PC Game Pass and the ones I do are available on Steam (Halo MCC, AoE 1/2/3, etc).

That being said, it is compelling to just sub for a month to play a game that you want and then unsubscribe when you're done.

Oct 25, 2017
I buy games at launch and I don't have a backlog. So unless it's a day one gamepass game I don't need to be subscribed all the time. I'll only renew when a new game comes out that I don't have.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
i just want to say:

1. i'm not trying to be a troll
2. i'm pretty new here. despite sharing what is clearly an unpopular opinion most of the replies have been very civil disagreement. i do appreciate that.

Ah, my mistake then bro, I thought you were being a troll because of the almost console-warrior language with regards to the day one launches, but I do also understand differing opinions.

And welcome to the site!! You'll find that people on here are almost always very polite and civil even with disagreements, the mods here are great at keeping things civil

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I have a One X and I was paying for Game Pass for months without using it. It just doesn't really jive with my habits.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I originally, like a year or two ago, wasn't into GamePass. It didn't seem like it had a ton of great games on it and I was just like, meh... Games With Gold was always like old games and I figured GamePass would be the same. And then they did that thing where you could transition your XBL account into a GamePass Ultimate account for, like, $12 for a year or w/e and I maxed that out for myself, and then simultaneously they just started adding legitimately great games to GamePass.

Ori 1 + 2 alone would have made it worth it, but then like easily a half dozen or more games I've sunk serious time into. Forza Horizon 4, Fallout 76 (just started), playing Red Dead 2 with my mates. I think it sells games too. My friend tried Red Dead Online not thinking he'd like it, and it was on GamePass for a couple months, but then when it was going off he decided to buy it because he really liked the game... and he wouldn't have bought Red Dead before. And now you've got games that are new games that come out, Ori, Gears, Halo, Forza Horizon, Tetris Effect, Planet Coaster (Console)... These are new, major games that get added to it, and it's great value.

I think it's an amazing service, esp for only a few bucks more than what XBL cost even outside of the promotion. Long term maybe they'll get me to pay more, than I would have but I kinda doubt it. THere's also tons of games I try that I wouldn't have bought... Streets of Rage for instance. My Wife and I have been grinding that out in coop because we just tried it one night, and we wouldn't have taken the chance on it if I had to pay $20 or $30 for it standalone.

Service is great.

For improvements, I wish there was better filtering. Like, I'd like to filter out all of the EA Access games. I know that I'd play MAss Effect and a handful of others, but ... I don't need Madden 25 (2015) - Madden 20 clogging it up.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
If you own an Xbox, you can't afford not to subscribe to Game Pass. Heck, you can't afford not to subscribe to Game Pass if you don't have an Xbox. If you plays games, you should subscribe to Game Pass!

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Got it but hardly ever use it, however I did the gold extend ÂŁ1 thing for three years so it didn't really cost anything.
Also I hammer the rewards so get lots of store credit each month.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I do, but I got the cheap 3 years of Live thing so it's < NZD$5 a month. I doubt when that's up it'll be worth it for me to be honest because I'd have to basically complete an AAA game every 1-2 months to make it as much value as just buying the games second hand. While I'll experiment with a few more games and try things I haven't, so there's value in that for sure, it will get pretty expensive I think.

Also, it's just a game rental, you don't own it if you're the sort of person who wants to replay years later or trade/resell.

I'll see if I change my tune in 3 years.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Really? Not Doom Eternal? Red Dead 2? Devil May Cry 5?

There's 250 games on there and Ori was all you wanted to play?
Devil May Cry 5 yes, but that is a 2019 game, I was specifically talking about 2020 games. Red Dead and Doom I wouldn't take for free. As I said, my taste is very limited, at least in terms of what is being made nowadays. The full line up of Bethesda, the full line up of EA, the full line up of Take Two (including Rockstar), I would take nothing out of that even for free.

EDIT: I missed that Hotshot Racing is on there. That too. But it and Ori 2 are both games I also want to own.
EDIT 2: Full list of games I would in principle play:

Celeste *
FF VII-IX *
Supraland
Alice Madness Returns *
Burnout Paradise Remastered *
Rare Replay *
Turing Test *
Touryst *
(New) Super Luckys Tale *
Recore *
Ori 1 & 2 *
Hotshot Racing *
Guacamelee 2 *
CrossCode
Batman Arkham Knight *

The following I wouldn't play by choice, but I wouldn't hate playing them either:
Peggle 1 & 2
Unravel 1 & 2
Bejeweled 2 & 3
Tetris Effect
Zuma
Mirrors Edge 1 & 2
Xenocrisis
Edith Finch

The ones with asterisks I already owned before they entered Gamepass or I would absolutely want to properly own them. So Supraland and Crosscode would be the only games I would have played through Gamepass from the current list.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No, I don't have it. I just feel I wouldn't use it enough. My xbox one and ps4 have taken a backseat to my gaming on PC and Switch, and most of my PC gaming is multiplayer games, I just don't see a use for it.

I also don't like paying monthly subscriptions, which is why I canceled my xbox live and ps+ subs years ago.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Gamepass is the largest factor right now for me in regards to what I play - that it makes the Series X a must have for me.

If it wasn't for gamepass I would have bought a ps5 first (preorders willing) and waited on the Xbox.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's too good. Even better if you have a PC too. (I have an Android phone, but don't really have much use for the streaming feature)