• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you subscribe to GP?

• Yes you fool, it is the best value in gaming!

Votes: 1,105 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 8.5%

• Total voters

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
Hey next time inform yourself or did you somehow miss all the day 1 Gam3 Pass releases? If you think it's just old games then you are wrong. Just this month we got Tetris Comnected and Planet Coaster at release.

I got one year of Game Pass for 100€. Considering the amount of day 1 releases I have played with it this year alone I got that back 3 to 5 times. Amazing value.
i know about day-1 releases. i thought i was clear about "perceived value". i'll never play tetris or planet coaster at any price on any day. just not my kind of games so my perceived value is $0. we'll see how things change with all of MS's new studio acquisitions but to-date their first party offerings isn't something i'd care to play. ..expect ori. i want to play ori.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly looking back I can't imagine not having this service on Xbox. If Sony/Nintendo ever follow-up with their own service I am 100% going to sub.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
not a series owner but i wouldn't subscribe.

gamepass is not the best value in gaming. buying year old releases at $10 or less a pop is overall cheaper because:

1. at least to date, MS first party games aren't worth playing. over all of last generation only 2 games caught my fancy and both were ori. therefore i have no perceived value in getting MS games day-1.
2. the non-MS first party games on the service aren't even close to new games. they are the old games that can be purchased for next to nothing anyways.
3. gamepass doesn't get all the games i want to play so it would be gamepass + individual purchases increasing the amount of money i put into gaming each year because...
2. at $180 gamepass cost more per year than i currently pay to own games because i don't play more than ~15 games a year anyways.

if you love and buy all MS first party then sure it's a great value. but for the rest of the library,.. it's no different than GoG or ps+ to me. it's a gamble that maybe you get access to a game you want but mostly it is a bunch of stuff you just don't want.

i can clearly see why some people would find this service to be amazing. ...but you guys seriously need to acknowledge that there are tons of gamers for which this service isn't such a good value for. MS wants this service to be the "netflix of gaming" but right now it is the "HBO max of gaming".

your analysis doesn't include the cost of being able to try games you wouldn't have bought without trying first. Some of the games being older doesn't change that there would be a cost to acquiring them, even in trial capacity.

it might be true that the catalog has few things that catch your eye, including MS 1st party. But many people are finding that games that they otherwise would have skipped are really enjoyable. The same might be true for you and many of the games that don't catch your fancy at first glance.

there's no way I could have played all the games I played on game pass in 2020 for $120 even if I exclude MS first party titles.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
From what I think getting Game Pass for day 1 games then waiting a year or something to rebuy those games at a massive discounted price seems pretty good.

That's what I'm doing with Game Pass now and probably gonna buy the games I really like so I actually own them.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
It's a big part of why I'll be spending most of my gaming time on Xbox despite being more impressed with PS5 so far. Such a great value.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Honestly looking back I can't imagine not having this service on Xbox. If Sony/Nintendo ever follow-up with their own service I am 100% going to sub.

Honestly I cant imagine playing a console without such a service. There are only a handful of games which I'd pay full price for - especially with that new pricetag for upcoming games. So having Game Pass is just incredible and I'd never go back.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Yes you fool,it's... ;)

My Ultimate that I grabbed last year converting Gold stops in March but I already have a few 3 months cards that I paid 20 bucks less waiting...cant live without it now,they got me ;)

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
Your budget is less than $180. How many games a year do you plan on playing at $70 a pop? 😂

In all of last generation i played full price for 2 games: infamous second son and god of war. i just buy games on the sales to stuff a backlog and play them when i get to them. also much of my play log is for smaller titles like talos principle or guacamelee. it helps that i live across the street from my library and can get pretty much any game for free that i want. I could just have a budge of $0 for an entire generation if really wanted to.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Without GP I would have never bought an X last gen. It's why I am definitely getting a series X down the line when compelling 1st party titles hit.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I do, but I'm not seeing the huge value in it. Many of the games on it are 360 era game I'll never touch.

Bird Feedr

Sep 18, 2020
I upgraded 3 years of gold for £11. That's stupid value, literally one of the most value for lowest cost purchases I've ever made.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to say thank you OP for having two poll options for a yes/no question rather than the typical 5-6

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Game pass has completely changed how I play games for the better and how I play with my friends now we all have a shared library.

The number of new releases and new 3rd party day 1 releases has been crazy over the last few months.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I had it when it was like $1 a month. Now it's like $15(I have a PC as well) so I cancelled it because I don't play nearly enough games to justify it. I'd rather wait for a sale and buy the game and own it.

I tried getting all of the crazy deals people were getting but couldn't because I wasn't a new subscriber. I think these insane deals have really helped create the "best value ever" narrative because well, it is when you're paying barely nothing for an entire gamin library, but if you're like me and it takes you two months to play a game like The Outer Worlds, you realize you spent a lot of money to play one game and don't even own it.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I do but meh. These kind of services aren't really my thing.

I like the MGS side of it less so the in and out nature of the rest. I'd prefer a turbo charged version gwg\ps+

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
There are two types of Xbox users: Game Pass subscribers and those who haven't used Game Pass yet.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
It's quite simple really. It costs £7.99 a month. It's ot worth paying a monthly sub every month when I'm not going to use it every month. I will sub every now and then usually when there's a deal on. But nah I don't see the point in having an active sub for something I would not use every month.

Just pay when I actually want to use it basically.

Same here.

PS5 will continue to be my primary and I'll buy the games on XBox that I want to own and play on my time/schedule.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Have had Game Pass in some form or another since before it was even made available to the public (preview program Game Pass).

I don't see myself ever getting off it.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
That's funny, because this was your take on PS+ Collection a couple days ago:

20+ old PS4 games on day one for $60 or 200+ old and new games on day one for $120...and yet it's the Playstaion offering that's "downright awesome" and the Game Pass is "mostly a bunch of old stuff you don't want".

the thread was about locking the playstation collection to ps5 and the "downright" awesome was in context of this promotion being offered as part of this console launch compared to prior console launches where nothing was offered. call my a hypocrite if you want playstation collection was an unexpected bonus to ps+ and unlike the typical ps+ offerings all 20 games can at least be considered "good". in the post you quoted you'll see i said "...mostly it is a bunch of stuff you just don't want" in reference to ps+ so it's not like i'm raving about that service's value though out the year with respect to game access. it's given me a gem or two (rocket league) but mostly i don't play the games given for "free" on ps+. it's a service i have so i can play online co-op.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
No. I want to own my games, or at least entertain the facade that I own them.

It is undeniably a great value, although in a few years time I think it will inevitably get diluted as other publishers try to raise their own subscription services. Part of why MS is investing so heavily in first party is because this will turn into a content war, like TV/movie streaming.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yup secured 3 years Ultimate for $170 ahead of getting a Series X using the Gold Conversion method. Before that I'd just sub for specific releases.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game pass deals on the 22nd

Most notably, it's offering up to 40 percent off three months of Game Pass Ultimate at "participating" stores between November 22nd and November 30th — you'll likely want to check shops like Amazon and Best Buy.

finance.yahoo.com

Xbox Black Friday deals cut prices on Game Pass Ultimate and controllers

Microsoft has revealed its Xbox Black Friday 2020 deals, and the biggest discounts are for Game Pass Ultimate and new controllers.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I did but I do not anymore. If I were in high school, college, or even just a regular old married dude, it would be a godsend. As a parent of a newborn, it's a little overwhelming and frankly unrealistic for me to think that I can get more out of the service than I would just buying standalone games here and there.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I have it. The only weird thing about it to me is that if I dust off an old Xbox One in 10 years I'll have like 5 games that I actually own.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Not right at this moment, no, but I have done a lot in the past and will again in the future. I usually grab a month's code when I want to play Game Pass stuff rather than having a continuous subscription

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Getting every new Xbox title on Gamepass day 1 makes it hard to pass up even if you only use it for that. So, yes I subscribe

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for MS to ship my XSX, but not sure if I'll get Ganepass.

Most new games I play on PC anyway, and I largely want an Xbox for my BC library. But if it was my only platform, yes it is an incredible value.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have it. The only weird thing about it to me is that if I dust off an old Xbox One in 10 years I'll have like 5 games that I actually own.

I sometimes think about that too, but then I also look at the price of 10 year old games on XBOX right now, and if in 10 years I do want to play Doom Eternal and it's not on Game Pass anymore for some reason, it will likely be on sale for $5 or less a few times a year. DOOM 3, I think, is on sale right now for $3 or something.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't for a long time but now I feel like I'm just wasting money if I don't have it. I have such a backlog of gamepass games that I want to play that I don't see myself cancelling it anytime soon.
I've played Ori 2, Tell me Why, Doom Eternal, Dishonored 2, DmC5 and a bunch of other games that would have been over $200 in value for 50 bucks. And havin jackbox is great for when friends and family come over.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not a Series X owner yet but still have a One so I'll chime in and say I don't have GamePass. Part of the reason I don't have GamePass is because I already own 2000-3000 games on Steam/Nintendo/PS platforms. So really the only reason I would get GamePass for a month is too play 1 maybe 2 fresh brand new games. I will say when The PC GamePass was $5 I paid twice in order to play Ori 2, A Plague Tale and The Outer Worlds. Now that PC GamePass is $10, I don't think I'll even be doing that.
You wouldn't pay $20 to play 3 games that you could never buy for a combined $20?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
not a series owner but i wouldn't subscribe.

gamepass is not the best value in gaming. buying year old releases at $10 or less a pop is overall cheaper because:

1. at least to date, MS first party games aren't worth playing. over all of last generation only 2 games caught my fancy and both were ori. therefore i have no perceived value in getting MS games day-1.
2. the non-MS first party games on the service aren't even close to new games. they are the old games that can be purchased for next to nothing anyways.
3. gamepass doesn't get all the games i want to play so it would be gamepass + individual purchases increasing the amount of money i put into gaming each year because...
2. at $180 gamepass cost more per year than i currently pay to own games because i don't play more than ~15 games a year anyways.

if you love and buy all MS first party then sure it's a great value. but for the rest of the library,.. it's no different than GoG or ps+ to me. it's a gamble that maybe you get access to a game you want but mostly it is a bunch of stuff you just don't want.

i can clearly see why some people would find this service to be amazing. ...but you guys seriously need to acknowledge that there are tons of gamers for which this service isn't such a good value for. MS wants this service to be the "netflix of gaming" but right now it is the "HBO max of gaming".
Where in the world are you finding year old releases for $10 or less unless they are Indies???

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
your analysis doesn't include the cost of being able to try games you wouldn't have bought without trying first. Some of the games being older doesn't change that there would be a cost to acquiring them, even in trial capacity.

it might be true that the catalog has few things that catch your eye, including MS 1st party. But many people are finding that games that they otherwise would have skipped are really enjoyable. The same might be true for you and many of the games that don't catch your fancy at first glance.

there's no way I could have played all the games I played on game pass in 2020 for $120 even if I exclude MS first party titles.
Yup not to mention xCloud is the epitome of No-Barrier trial of games. Just stream the game to your device with no download, no purchase, and demo the game then and there. Game Pass Ultimate with Game Pass PC/Console, Xbox Live Gold, and xCloud is just absurd value (then start factoring in the perks and it gets... nutty).

Balmik

May 12, 2019
Yup and it saved me a lot of money so far or waiting to play certain games. I know I tried some games I would of never looked if I had to buy it like A Plague Tale: Innocence.

If anyone is interested free months for game pass ultimate look up Microsoft rewards. One of the rewards you can get is a month of game pass ultimate but the only thing is takes time building up the points needed for that reward. If you do most of the free things for points you can build up enough points or close to enough in a month for it.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yup and it saved me a lot of money so far or waiting to play certain games. I

If anyone is interested free months for game pass ultimate look up Microsoft rewards. One of the rewards you can get is a month of game pass ultimate but the only thing is takes time building up the points needed for that reward. If you do most of the free things for points you can build up enough points or close to enough in a month for it.
I'll have to do this more often than. I usually just get the ones in games.