• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I have not been able to connect to my Xbox via remote play on my iPhone 13 for what feels like months, and after hours of searching for a solution, I finally found this Reddit thread. Whether you are on Wi-Fi or 5g, you can't get past a black screen that ultimately reveals an error code reading, "We found your console but can't connect. Try from a different Wi-Fi or cellular network." If you are in the same Wi-Fi network as your console, it'll work just fine but it won't connect outside of your home.

The common denominator, according to the Reddit thread, seems to be an issue with iOS 16. Downgrading or using an iOS device that hasn't been updated to iOS 16 works, but it's doesn't seem like a ideal workaround. There's been a few updates to the testflight Xbox app that doesn't seem to fix the issue. But if you are like me that's been frustrated for weeks without knowing what's wrong, here's your answer.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Shitty that it's not even working considering its basic as-hell implementation. Tried it a while back and was flabbergasted that I needed to have a controller connected to my phone to use it.

Hopefully, there's a fix for the iOS issue soon. Really odd that lowering the version can fix it.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
I mainly use my XBOX to Remote Play over 5G. Was so frustrating at some point that I legit almost sold it 😆 I still might, unless it's fixed 👀

May 25, 2019
London
My remote play doesn't work on some days I try it, but then works again later. No idea what causes it. PS5 Remote Play is a lot more consistent.

OP
OP
Coolduderedux

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Despite numerous app updates and iOS 16.2, this issue is still not resolved. Since September, you cannot remote play your Xbox from your iPhone or iPad if you updated to iOS 16. Aside from SpartyCrunch's comment earlier, I haven't seen anything from Xbox acknowledging this issue. I really hope this gets fixed soon but it looks like it'll have to wait until sometime next year.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Well this was a crappy way to find out I can't remote play during my Christmas vacation. Brought all my stuff and neither my iPhone or iPad are working because of iOS 16.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Well this was a crappy way to find out I can't remote play during my Christmas vacation. Brought all my stuff and neither my iPhone or iPad are working because of iOS 16.
Same. It's kind of wild that it has been like this for several months without a solution.

It works when I'm on my home network but it has been useless during my holiday travels which has been very disappointing.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Despite numerous app updates and iOS 16.2, this issue is still not resolved. Since September, you cannot remote play your Xbox from your iPhone or iPad if you updated to iOS 16. Aside from SpartyCrunch's comment earlier, I haven't seen anything from Xbox acknowledging this issue. I really hope this gets fixed soon but it looks like it'll have to wait until sometime next year.
Same. It's kind of wild that it has been like this for several months without a solution.

It works when I'm on my home network but it has been useless during my holiday travels which has been very disappointing.
After far more difficulty than expected, the team found the source of the issue, and there will be an app update to fix it coming soon:

Remote play on iOS devices (Known Issue Update)

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Anyone having issues playing on home network since the update? I'm back home now and literally can't remote play at all anymore. I keep getting the "Try Again Later" message.

I've tried turning off the console, unplugging it, restarting both the phone and the Xbox, deleting the app, redownloading the app, signing out, trying to remove the console to set it up again which it won't allow. I feel like I've done it all and nothing works.

It's incredibly frustrating as I've never had issues at all (beyond the problem in this thread).

Edit: I've tested the connection and I'm getting all greens.

PlayStation remote play works just fine.

Last edited:

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having issues playing on home network since the update? I'm back home now and literally can't remote play at all anymore. I keep getting the "Try Again Later" message.

I've tried turning off the console, unplugging it, restarting both the phone and the Xbox, deleting the app, redownloading the app, signing out, trying to remove the console to set it up again which it won't allow. I feel like I've done it all and nothing works.

It's incredibly frustrating as I've never had issues at all (beyond the problem in this thread).

Edit: I've tested the connection and I'm getting all greens.

PlayStation remote play works just fine.

Was getting this too. And after looking around it seems Remote play is down everywhere so at least we don't need to mess around with things on our side: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Not any updates or ETAs though as far as I know.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Was getting this too. And after looking around it seems Remote play is down everywhere so at least we don't need to mess around with things on our side: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Not any updates or ETAs though as far as I know.

Thanks for the heads up! Good to know it's not just me but still a very frustrating experience with the service the last few months.
It's back up now :-)

Apologies for the disruptions.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance the team is looking into increasing (as an option) the bitrate for Xbox -> PC remote play?

Because it's so disappointing that I can't get a better picture quality from my local Xbox than I do from xCloud.

this is likely a limitation of the dedicated streaming solution on the system. can't forget it's taking system resources and a higher bitrate means more processing and memory speed

xCloud has a lot more flexibility in this regard as they can have extra hardware to handle the streams at a higher quality and is entirely separate from the processors handling the gameplay functions.

it's not a network/proximity issue

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
this is likely a limitation of the dedicated streaming solution on the system. can't forget it's taking system resources and a higher bitrate means more processing and memory speed

xCloud has a lot more flexibility in this regard as they can have extra hardware to handle the streams at a higher quality and is entirely separate from the processors handling the gameplay functions.

it's not a network/proximity issue
It's possible but I doubt it that big of an issue, even the original Xbox One with the Xbox companion app allowed for you do select multiple quality options.
I just can't believe that what is currently present is the best that Xbox Series X can do.