• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed one. I had $100 in Best Buy credit so I was waiting for them to have stock.

This is my first Xbox system and for years I swore I would never buy an Xbox. Crazy timeline I've found myself in.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Damn, they're still available

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
The demand for the series S really seems to be drying up. The X is still gone secs/mins after going up.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Great, they sell this in the middle of the night when no one's looking but not the Series X.

Great.

Nov 8, 2017
That seems incredibly pessimistic given TSMC already has new processes.

I think there will be shrinks but it's not a given that shrinks are automatimcally cheaper and superior, at least in the short term. Price per mm^2 has been going up with each new shrink, so disrupting the supply chain to switch will likely take longer to justify than it used to in past generations.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I think there will be shrinks but it's not a given that shrinks are automatimcally cheaper and superior, at least in the short term. Price per mm^2 has been going up with each new shrink, so disrupting the supply chain to switch will likely take longer to justify than it used to in past generations.

Not expecting cheaper but since I'm putting it in a mostly enclosed shelf in an office, I'd love to see one with better thermals. From what I've seen it runs hottest of the three next gen systems.

If it doesn't happen fine. I know I'd be annoyed by the 512 drive after owning one for a couple weeks.

Edit: also I just want a shrink to see how far they can drive the size down, it's already comically small.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Still sitting on the shelf. I guess price isn't everything. MS might want to rethink their allocation in the future.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
There won't be die shrinks of any of the current gen consoles.
Yeah I'm expecting brand new consoles for Xbox at the very least in 2023. Not a new gen, but taking the concept of mid gen refreshes and blurring the "next gen" line even more by going more PC like.

Like the way I would imagine it is as if it were a Series X, but made in 2023 and not 2020 if that makes sense. It would completely replace the 2020 Series X unlike the PS4 Pro and One X which were sold alongside their older counterparts.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Not surprised this is in stock. The Series S doesnt seem to be as in demand as the Series X.

It's been available on the MS store in Canada for about a week now.

Edit: I'm not saying that the Series S is a flop, it's just that the target market of this console arent the consumers who buy a console so soon at launch or after. The early adopters clearly prefer the Series X since they are typically less of a casual gamer.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There won't be die shrinks of any of the current gen consoles.
That will not be proven true. Worst case they lag behind (use 5nm for slims instead of 3nm) or wait a bit after a new node becomes big to use it (like a year)

we will for sure see 3nm or 5nm slim models in 2023 or 24

on topic: I'm tempted to sell my one S toward this but no used games is a deal breaker.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
That will not be proven true. Worst case they lag behind (use 5nm for slims instead of 3nm) or wait a bit after a new node becomes big to use it (like a year)

on topic: I'm tempted to sell my one S toward this but no used games is a deal breaker.

MS said in their hot chips presentation that die shrink now costs almost as much as designing a new console. With the high level APIs in place, no reason to not add the latest tech like the 1x / pro did when moving to a smaller node.

I think both Sony and MS will have two skus for the mid gen upgrades.

i.e. Xsx level slim:

New Zen at 3.6+ghz
Similar level GPU compute wise as SX but with more features and greatly improved RT perf.
16GB GDDR6x on 256 bit bus, 19gb/s 608GB/s
2+TB SSD

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The "no demand" hot takes are amusing. I'm not sure "see, you can occasionally get one when a single retailer has a stock drop three months after launch" is the glaring indictment some people want it to be.

Oct 27, 2017
MS said in their hot chips presentation that die shrink now costs almost as much as designing a new console. With the high level APIs in place, no reason to not add the latest tech like the 1x / pro did when moving to a smaller node.
Well yeah they could that but a die shrink can also apply energy savings too to cut costs.

even if they pay $100 per 7nm today and $100 in 2023 in 3nm, they can save so much on reduce size/materials for the case, the PSU, the fan, the heatsink, motherboard size, etc. they can also reduce ram chips from 8x2GB to 4x4GB to cut down

Not to mention lowering SSD, RAM, controller costs over time (especially as the SSD it uses becomes more common in computer marketplace)

I think they could do both, 3/5nm slim and pro in 23-24. Tho I don't see anything they can market a Pro model with since these models will already have 8K. I don't think 8K will even be where 4K was in 2016 in 2023-24

also, cost cutting models just make sense post COVID-19 in 2023 imo

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Sure, but I think those 5nm models in ~2023 are going to be (essentially) the next-generation Xboxes. I think they'll just keep revising the hardware, using die shrinks to make them more powerful, not cheaper (since they're already at $299), just as the Series S/X followed the One S/X at the same prices after 3-4 years.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The demand for the series S really seems to be drying up. The X is still gone secs/mins after going up.
I mean, that's not really all that surprising, it's a box aimed at general audiences/casual consumers who wait a year or two to buy in (basically once COD, Madden or Fifa are no longer cross gen or given new features in the case of Fifa or there are great next gen exclusives) so it's no surprise that Series X sells out so much faster right now. Plus I have to imagine Series S has more stock as of now, just on account of being so much smaller and having better yields.
Still sitting on the shelf. I guess price isn't everything. MS might want to rethink their allocation in the future.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that, this is a casual focused box and the casual audience doesn't upgrade so quickly, plus there are no real games worth upgrading for, especially for the casual audience. Once COD/2k/Madden are no longer cross gen (and Fifa is switched to Legacy edition) the Series S will probably start flying off the shelves on account of being so much cheaper.

It just had to be there at launch to ensure full compatibility with Series X, as if it released later there would be no way to add in that compatibility.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If the Series S played discs there wouldn't be any doubt in my mind that it would eventually outsell the Series X. I still think it probably will, but the lack of disc compatibility is a complicating factor.

Enthusiasts don't get it but there are a whole lot of people out there who don't want to spend $500 on a console, especially when a $300 one plays all the same games.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Apparently we have reached a point where a console staying in stock for several hours, in a single store, 3 months after launch indicates that far too many consoles are being shipped.

I guess a console isn't worth buying when you can actually buy it.

Kitsune86

Nov 25, 2017
I'm actually really looking forward to getting a Series S in a couple months. I have a laptop with a 2070 that outpaces it on paper but in terms of actual performance on 10800 they seem about equal (at least for the Medium).

Having guaranteed access to next generation games even if my laptop becomes low tier by the time the 5070 comes out or whatever is good plus with gamepass can't go wrong.

Can confirm Best Buy Canada also had them on stock today. Seems like restocks are every 2 - 3 weeks on the S. Have never seen a non scalper X

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Won't be a Series S article without folks falling over themselves to speculate on demand, anecdotal tales of consoles 'sitting on shelves' and the constant reminder that Best Buy Canada had them in stock for 7 days straight.

Lol!

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
The "no demand" hot takes are amusing. I'm not sure "see, you can occasionally get one when a single retailer has a stock drop three months after launch" is the glaring indictment some people want it to be.

They certainly are!

I knew before clicking into this thread some of the responses I would see....they didnt disapoint lol

Jonny111

Dec 31, 2017
Maybe they don't instantly sell out because they're not worth scalping as the price point is the big draw of the s?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting on Amazon UK stock for Series S, I knew I should have e pre ordered at launch along with the Series X.

Son will miss it for his birthday now. Surely it will come back in stock in the next month?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I would buy one, but really, is it much better or at all than the One X?

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Bought a Series S on ebay for 240 euro for my nephew.
It was used, but as good as new.
Who ever was selling it probably expected more lol