P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Probably has to do with where the game is loading you into in that particular session? I'd aasume denser areas in RD2 like saint dennis take a bit longer to load? Maybe?
I was thinking something like that, or maybe one outlet loaded to the first menu vs another loading into gameplay, the load times in general are very impressive but that one just stood out to me.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Wish we could choose where to save our game downloads when clicking the download button, instead of having to dive into the settings Gs and setting a default storage option. Would be helpful this coming gen if I decided to get a 1tb SSD to put most of my series x games on

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the update. So..do you think its possible that, at some point, MS might find a way to ler xbox games run from these faster drives?

Nope, not for anything in the "Series" standard. The Xbox Velocity Architecture requires two things from storage: higher speeds, and *sustained* speeds. That's why its efficient-yet-bulky design is key, to keep that NVMe 4.0 memory cooled at full load. (I expect to say the same things about PS5, but that comparison will be interesting.)

Some outlets are timing the time of booting the entire game up to being in the game, others are timing how long it takes from the main menu to into the game.

Yeah, in my piece, I measured the time from pressing "A" in the home menu ("booting from cold") to a game fully loading a save game (all while mashing the A and Start buttons, speedrunner-style). I think it's more representative of telling the back-compat story, since you're going to have to go through classic-console intro screens and menus for most older software (when you're not leaning on the awesomeness of Quick Resume, anyway).

Belker

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, not for anything in the "Series" standard. The Xbox Velocity Architecture requires two things from storage: higher speeds, and *sustained* speeds. That's why its efficient-yet-bulky design is key, to keep that NVMe 4.0 memory cooled at full load. (I expect to say the same things about PS5, but that comparison will be interesting.)

Thanks for the explanation.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Reminder that we now have confirmation that reviewers now have cyberpunk installing. Hopefully more previews on that game and actual next gen games not far behind.

This isn't real.

Yeah, in my piece, I measured the time from pressing "A" in the home menu ("booting from cold") to a game fully loading a save game (all while mashing the A and Start buttons, speedrunner-style). I think it's more representative of telling the back-compat story, since you're going to have to go through classic-console intro screens and menus for most older software (when you're not leaning on the awesomeness of Quick Resume, anyway).

Did you try without mashing the buttons?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
samred quick question, I assume you guys had a limited number of titles to test / show correct? Which is why some other "obvious" stuff that could really benefit from a performance bump, like for example the AC games (well, Origins and Odyssey) weren't tested?

Or you guys just didnt happen to test those?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No. I needed to lock down exact loading amounts, so no variations in pauses between menus, and no games that I couldn't boot without mashing the A button, or that required joystick/d-pad taps.

Any thoughts on the new dpad?

edit: reading the article now! great read. Below is the portion on the dpad for everyone else:

Speaking of textured edges: the newer gamepad's handles have been given a much more noticeable texture effect, making them much easier to grip if you're the kind to get sweaty palms during a video game. It's quite nice—and arguably better as part of this gamepad's plastic shell than a similar effect in the textured, rubberized grip in the Xbox Elite Gamepad. The d-pad now looks and feels more like the default d-pad on the Elite, too, with extra plastic built into the spaces between the pad's primary arms. Functionally, this is identical to Xbox One's update to the d-pad—and that's good news, because it's still one of the best d-pads on any gamepad in the world. It's clicky without requiring much force, and it's responsive.

arstechnica.com

Xbox Series X hands-on: The big back-compat dive begins [Updated]

Xbox Quick Resume impresses. Plus: New controller, auto-HDR, venting holes, and more.

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I hate about this, is how some devs/publishers skipped Xbox or didn't patch Xbox versions.

Games like Ni-Oh would have been glorious here. Or games that didn't bother patching like Dark Souls 3 or Deus Ex.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Awesome, thanks for responding.

It is still kind of an annoyance having to switch discs, but understandable. This may be what forces me to go all digital. I like to juggle more than one game at once, but I hate having to quit one game and jump into another. I'm very impatient.
Yea. I hate having to switch disks. I have almost no disks now. That said, if you just have a couple of disks that you use, you can use them interspersed with your digital games. So, if you just one disk in the machine, that can just be part of your rotation. Just quit the game and it should save the state for you.

The REAL QUESTION is if this ruins save scumming and quitting before the save lol.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IMO games like GTA 4 would benefit way more from 4K than 60 FPS. I can't play it when it looks like that.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Unfortunately, there seems to be an embargo on the embargo.

Ha, sad but true.
I just updated the Ars article with a doozy of a "my bad" update. Here's the note I put in the Ars comments section:

Thanks for the update Samred. There is some great info in there.

Looking over your article and load times though, I think you are still missing one of the most useful use-cases. Internal NVMe SSD, vs USB 3.2 SSD drive, both on Series X.

This would be awesome to know. I beleive I saw some data on it that showed an external USB SSD has almost the same load times as using the internal NVMe for BC games. If that's the case, that could save people hundreds of dollars and free ip lots of space for them on the internal drive.

For example, while the internal NVMe card could be upwards of $295 here in canada, I can purchase an external 10gbit/s SSD drive bay for $30, and slot in any SSD.

External USB 3.2 SSD Drive bay

Cable Matters Premium Aluminum 10Gbps Gen 2 USB C Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5" SSD/HDD with USB-C and USB-A Cables - Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and More: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Cable Matters Premium Aluminum 10Gbps Gen 2 USB C Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5" SSD/HDD with USB-C and USB-A Cables - Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and More: Amazon.ca: Electronics

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
one thing I will say is, in the promo pics the series x looked gross to me. But seeing all these shots of it in people living rooms, cabinets etc, I think it looks rather sleek. I do worry about it seems the general consensus is lying down is no where near as nice as having it stand, as I have no room to have it stand.

List of preview articles and video's

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here is a list of the Xbox Series X previews that I could find.
I hope this helps save some time looking for them. Please let me know if I missed any. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I thought all bc games on Xbox One would work automatically on XSX:

Maybe it will be sorted by launch.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Read the updated text, not just the charts. I did compare those two. They were nigh identical for back-compat. Really impressive.

Ok, sweet, I must have misread. Thanks for the reply.

So it's true then, that the faster NVMes don't really help load times on games not engineered for it. I suppose Microsoft's choice to include USB 3.2 gen1 ports is actually kind of justified. Perhaps having one faster USB port could have helped with game transfer speeds though.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Ok, sweet, I must have misread. Thanks for the reply.

So it's true then, that the faster NVMes don't really help load times on games not engineered for it. I suppose Microsoft's choice to include USB 3.2 gen1 ports is actually kind of justified. Perhaps having one faster USB port could have helped with game transfer speeds though.

I'm really hoping the 10Gbps ports on PS5 do help with transferring speeds.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is a list of the Xbox Series X previews that I could find.
I hope this helps save some time looking for them. Please let me know if I missed any. Thanks.
Thanks a bunch, Can you please thread mark the above post? Theorry

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
60? Isn't that the whole point of most of these games on the previews, they run at 60 where on the One X they ran at 30.

No - the whole point of these games is that if they have unlocked framerates above 30 but rarely reaching 60, they're more likely to be boosted to a locked 60. If a game has a locked framerate on XB1 it'll have a locked framerate on XSX.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
No - the whole point of these games is that if they have unlocked framerates above 30 but rarely reaching 60, they're more likely to be boosted to a locked 60. If a game has a locked framerate on XB1 it'll have a locked framerate on XSX.

So the AC games are locked then? If so that's a shame, it was the games I wanted the most to get a performance boost along with MHW.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So the AC games are locked then? If so that's a shame, it was the games I wanted the most to get a performance boost along with MHW.

I think they're capped. They use dynamic res too and don't always hit 30fps at least on the base consoles. So they should get a framerate boost but only to 30fps. Hopefully also a resolution boost too

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
This must have been discussed but I can't find it sorry....

Does quick resume only work with digital editions of games? If I QR a disc title do I have to jump up and insert the disc too?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This must have been discussed but I can't find it sorry....

Does quick resume only work with digital editions of games? If I QR a disc title do I have to jump up and insert the disc too?
It works with discs too. Lemme find the quote. Yeah, you'll need to get up and insert the disc.

This is the "offline" family that will likely favor discs for the foreseeable future. Can they expect to enjoy Quick Resume perks? The simple answer is yes. Xbox Velocity Architecture treats Quick Resume the same with discs, since they simply act as license checks before loading from a hard drive.
arstechnica.com

Xbox Series X hands-on: The big back-compat dive begins [Updated]

Xbox Quick Resume impresses. Plus: New controller, auto-HDR, venting holes, and more.

I've been quoting this article so damn much in this thread, lol.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
samred : great article you did on the preview !

quick question : did you tried quick resume with multiple accounts log in ? Is QR a per account thing (meaning that it could take more SSD space than what you experienced), or is it shared for all users ?

As i share my Xbox with my kid, i would like to be sure if his roblox and fornite sessions won't/will take any extra GB adding to my games :)