sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Do we have any idea how much benefit we'll get from standard external SSDs regarding load times of back compat game on SX/S?. I may go that route as it's much cheaper.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Still, I applaud their choice to Microsoft went cray-cray with SS pricing instead. They only went "cray" with the APU.

I do agree it's a lot of money but the proprietary SSD pricing is not so excessive. The 1tb Samsung 980 Pro is $230 which is about the same while also being nvme and pcie 4. The tech is just so new that prices are going to be high for a while. We'll see how rapidly and aggressively Microsoft reduces the price as it gets easier and cheaper to make but for now IMO it's not a cash grab.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone know if Local network transfer from Xbox One to Series X is confirmed to be supported? That would be a huge timesaver and I would assume so if all of the console families share the same OS. Would be a wise chose for bandwidth capped folks as well.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
These sorts of things would be far less annoying if they stopped with the bullshit metric/binary calculations. They sell you on one while the formatting process uses another.

Just provision and market the drive on what the formatted capacity is, dammit!

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
No different from last gen. If you're that concerned about it, buy an external SSD or the expandable nvme. There is a reason these consoles are only $499.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2 Tb cold storage external hard drive. It's not like you play 8 games at once. Swap them out as they're needed. Problem solved.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a pretty decent amount of space.
Not an issue considering the benefit for those who will use the suspend feature.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Damn thats a bummer, lots of messing around to sort out whats on and what's off the drive. I won't be paying for extra storage till prices drop though.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree it's a lot of money but the proprietary SSD pricing is not so excessive. The 1tb Samsung 980 Pro is $230 which is about the same while also being nvme and pcie 4. The tech is just so new that prices are going to be high for a while. We'll see how rapidly and aggressively Microsoft reduces the price as it gets easier and cheaper to make but for now IMO it's not a cash grab.

Are you not comparing the price of a 7GB/s SSD with a 2.4GB/s read speed? Not that there isn't some reason for the proprietary to be more expensive than a similarly fast drive, but the XSX SSD is not cutting edge speed wise.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I think people need to be honest about their gaming habits. If you were thinking of getting an S but will need to buy the 1tb expansion card, you really should just spend the extra and get an X.

I'm not the type of person who needs a ton of games downloaded at once, but thinking about memory stuff today is part of why I cancelled my pre-order for the S. The convenience of more space (especially if subscribed to GamePass), more powerful hardware, etc. is well worth it for $200 if you're someone who plays games at least somewhat often. Even with the 1TB drive, it's hard to predict how many huge next gen games that would hold in say 2-3 years.

I was planning on using an external USB drive with an S but even that will get annoying if I end up having to transfer stuff often.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Are you not comparing the price of a 7GB/s SSD with a 2.4GB/s read speed? Not that there isn't some reason for the proprietary to be more expensive than a similarly fast drive, but the XSX SSD is not cutting edge speed wise.

Pricing in Canada isn't too terribly off.

~$250 for a 1TB Samsung 970 nvme @ ~3500 MB/s R/W
$299 for the Xbox thinger

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

Comparing the Series SSD cards to the EVO 980 makes it look bad for MS they that are damn near identical in price.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 2 Tb cold storage external hard drive. It's not like you play 8 games at once. Swap them out as they're needed. Problem solved.
Step 1: Transfer a game from internal storage to external drive, or vice versa.
Step 2: Take a shit. Play with your kid(s) and/or pet(s). Watch something on YouTube.
Step 3: Play the game when the transfer is complete.

It's really not a big deal. I know speed/efficiency is all the rage with these consoles, but the reality is that regardless of how much storage they shipped with we'd eventually be cycling games on/off of the internal storage. I'm not sure why people are surprised or disappointed by this news?

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
What are the prices and speeds of external USB SSDs? That's probably a closer comparison than other offerings, right? That's really what Xbox's proprietary memory stick is trying to replace/replicate.

You can get a good external M2 NVME enclosure for around $50 and a decent 1 TB NVME M2 drive (speeds similar to what the XSX is expected to get) for around $100-125. So you're looking at $150-175 all in. That being said, the one in XSX is a smaller form factor and is PCI4.0, which is still expensive. To get a PCI4.0 M2 drive with enclosure you're probably looking at $250.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can get a good NVME enclosure for around $50 and a decent 1 TB NVME drive (speeds similar to what the XSX is expected to get) for around $100-125. So you're looking at $150-175 all in. Granted those are a larger form factor than what they ended up settling on, but all else compared yeah.
You'll be capped by USB speeds with a setup like this most likely.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
930GB - 128GB = 802GB for Series X
128GB / 16GB of RAM = ~ 8 games suspended

~8 games * 10GB RAM = 80 GB
465GB - 80 GB = 385GB usable for Series S

That's just a guess.

You'll be capped by USB speeds with a setup like this most likely.

Sure, but if it's an SSD, you'll cap out at ~900 MegaBytes/s R/W with the 3.1 USB ports on the X, not bad for older games, or transferring new ones as "cold storage". Not bad at all.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
If ps5 is 700+ then ms messed up

Xss can be 300range which is a joke for real

They both messed up already honestly, 700-802 usable is pretty damn bad. The sizes should have been twice what they are. Any serious gamers buying this hardware are going to be in the market for more storage IMMEDIATELY, and thats just kinda sad.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Someone calculated it out in the other thread, and if it has the same functionality and stuff as the Series X while using roughly the same space, it'd probably be closer to like 550
Forgive my ignorance, but considering the OS of the XSX is something like 128 GB, wouldn't that make the PS5 697 GB if it had the same exact OS size? Where does the 550 come from? That's like almost 150 off.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
They both messed up already honestly, 700-802 usable is pretty damn bad. The sizes should have been twice what they are. Any serious gamers buying this hardware are going to be in the market for more storage IMMEDIATELY, and thats just kinda sad.

I expect XSS will come in somewhere around ~350 GB when all is said and done, which is not a lot but probably workable. People forget that major blockbuster XSS games will be a good 20-30 GB smaller than their XSX version, so that will help some, but it will still be tight.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I already have too many games already. I have a 2TB HDD in my PS4 Pro, and it's nearly 3/4 full.

I can thin it down to 600MB to be honest, there are a lot of big titles like RDR2 I could offload that I just haven't got around to finishing. But it would be a struggle.

This is why:-

1. The offload/unload from an external HDD functionality needs to be polished and easy - saw the preview for Xbox's today, looked slick and intuitive. Hope Sony has something similar.
  2. I have no interest in Gamepass. I already have far, far too many games to play. Even if I unsubscribed to my existing PSN library (100+ games there now), and just played single player titles, I still have too many!

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They didn't mess up, they just released consoles without HDD which was the right decision.

There is no reality where you get more SSD space at the current costs which are already losing money on each console shipped.

And the cost would have been unbearable for the consumer if they shipped with more SSD space and bumped up the price.

Lack of free space is literally the only caveat, but it's fine, PS3 launched with 20GB, PS4 launched with 500GB, they slowly upgraded retail models with more storage, and both are upgradable for existing buyers.

This is just the reality of current SSD costs. Lets hope they come down over the next few years and don't go up, then we will have a default model @ 1.5TB on both and no one will think bout it again.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably. I'm just guessing based on nothing at all. But can you make a prediction then based on what you know? Genuinely curious!
128GiB-(Amount of next-gen games that can be suspended)*[(RAM allocated for games on XSX)-(RAM allocated for games on XSS)]
My best guess would be ~16GiB less. Slightly more.

Chris_Rivera

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My launch PS3 had 20GB. I managed.

Selling $230 capacity upgrades and future higher capacity/slim console revisions is part of the profit game.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Does that mean the Series S will have around 303GB of storage for games? So basically you can install 2 CoDs and that's it.

Series S looking like a worst deal than the Series X by the day.

You cannot just make up a fact, and then criticize that XSS on that fact that you just made up....

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You cannot just make up a fact, and then criticize that XSS on that fact that you just made up....

Well, unless MS actually nerfs the OS in Series S, it's likely.

S will have .93X512=476GB after formatting (not opinion, fact). The next part is how much is the OS, if it's 128 like the X, it will leave 348. Otherwise you have to believe MS will reduce the size of the OS on the S somehow.

Either way there's no way S has more than ~400 GB after everything, and far more likely the number starts with a 3.

Same goes for PS5. .93X825=767 is our starting point. Almost certainly PS5 storage out of the box will start with a 6.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

S will have .93X512=476GB after formatting (not opinion, fact). The next part is how much is the OS, if it's 128 like the X, it will leave 348. Otherwise you have to believe MS will reduce the size of the OS on the S somehow.

Either way there's no way S has more than ~400 GB after everything, and far more likely the number starts with a 3.

Same goes for PS5. .93X825=767 is our starting point. Almost certainly PS5 storage out of the box will start with a 6.

K. And PS5/X can store like 4-5 CoDs then. Who cares. It's fast and you can use a USB (that most people upgrading already have) to store everything for later.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Smart delivery is suppose to reduce file sizes because XSS versions use lower textures. Things like CoD are not the norm in the industry. It's basically 3 games in terms of file size, SP/MP/Warzone and it's bloated size has alot to do with how the game was built to look and run as good as it does on current gen hardware.

Most people play 4 retail games a year. The average consumer won't care about managing the fridge as much as people like to complain they will. Those that do and are precious about keeping games they haven't played in a year can still manage cold storage HDDs next to their SSD

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Smart delivery is suppose to reduce file sizes because XSS versions use lower textures. Things like CoD are not the norm in the industry. It's basically 3 games in terms of file size, SP/MP/Warzone and it's bloated size has alot to do with how the game was built to look and run as good as it does on current gen hardware.

Most people play 4 retail games a year. The average consumer won't care about managing the fridge as much as people like to complain they will. Those that do and are precious about keeping games they haven't played in a year can still manage cold storage HDDs next to their SSD

Why doesn't Xbox One use Smart delivery right now? It should use lower textures than Xbox One X...which will use larger textures than One S.

COD is just the first to 200. I can 100% promise, it will not be the last. These things only go one direction, just like bandwidth, cpu cores, RAM, your phone required storage, or anything else, it's how we advance. Next gen assets require more storage.

I also think cold storage on a console supposedly focused on the no tech savvy Wal Mart crowd, AND a console for the ultra frugal, is problematic on both counts.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Why doesn't Xbox One use Smart delivery right now? It should use lower textures than Xbox One X...which will use larger textures than One S.

COD is just the first to 200. I can 100% promise, it will not be the last. These things only go one direction, just like bandwidth, cpu cores, RAM, your phone required storage, or anything else, it's how we advance. Next gen assets require more storage.

I also think cold storage on a console supposedly focused on the no tech savvy Wal Mart crowd, AND a console for the ultra frugal, is problematic on both counts.

Because there are no multiple Xbox One versions. The One X doesn't use 4k textures, it just brute forces the resolution of the base XBO version.

I just don't think this will be as big of an issue as you seem to think. 200GB service games are NOT the norm and will never be the norm. Games that add maps and skins at the rate CoD does are incredibly rare (name another) and games that have run for the ENTIRE generation ike Warframe and MMOs like FF14 have stayed far far under even 100GB. They even went down in size as compression techniques get more advanced. Again, enthusiasts overestimate how precious a parent who only has time for madden and CoD and an occasional tentpole release every year are precious with managing data

Last edited:

Bobsjourney

Jul 19, 2020
www.flipkart.com

MICROSOFT Xbox Series X 1024 GB Price in India - Buy MICROSOFT Xbox Series X 1024 GB Black Online - MICROSOFT : Flipkart.com

Buy MICROSOFT Xbox Series X 1024 GB for Rs.55990 Online, Also get MICROSOFT Xbox Series X 1024 GB Specifications & Features. Only Genuine Products. 30 Day Replacement Guarantee. Free Shipping. Cash On Delivery!

So i just found this floating around from flipcart. This is very interesting because ive been seeing in threads that xbox series x is 931gib, but this would suggest its actually either 1024gib or 957gib. 1024 would makes alot more sense considering we know the series is 512. Also, windows uses gibibytes instead of gigabytes so this also falls in line with the theory.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I get that they wanted to have that 299 pricetag for ads but... smaller storage for an All-Digital console was NOT a good idea.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
www.flipkart.com

MICROSOFT Xbox Series X 1024 GB Price in India - Buy MICROSOFT Xbox Series X 1024 GB Black Online - MICROSOFT : Flipkart.com

Buy MICROSOFT Xbox Series X 1024 GB for Rs.55990 Online, Also get MICROSOFT Xbox Series X 1024 GB Specifications & Features. Only Genuine Products. 30 Day Replacement Guarantee. Free Shipping. Cash On Delivery!

So i just found this floating around from flipcart. This is very interesting because ive been seeing in threads that xbox series x is 931gib, but this would suggest its actually either 1024gib or 957gib. 1024 would makes alot more sense considering we know the series is 512. Also, windows uses gibibytes instead of gigabytes so this also falls in line with the theory.
That's based on how 1TB is measured for SSDs.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mean i find this more worrying for my Series S than my X. Will wait anxiously to see what that looks like in terms of usable space. Also the implications for the 825GB PS5 drive looking like after formatting and OS might be sitting around ~700-740GB is also not that great.