• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
And is it just me or is SoT looking better with HDR disabled? For me it looks too dark and way less vibrant compared to SDR. Colours look way more natural and overall it's much brighter too. The beach for example looks just yellow with HDR and proper with SDR. The trees have a normal green color in SDR but just overly dark with HDR.

I'm probably gonna keep HDR off.

This is on my Sony 930e by the way.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And is it just me or is SoT looking better with HDR disabled? For me it looks too dark and way less vibrant compared to SDR. Colours look way more natural and overall it's much brighter too. The beach for example looks just yellow with HDR and proper with SDR. The trees have a normal green color in SDR but just overly dark with HDR.

I'm probably gonna keep HDR off.

This is on my Sony 930e by the way.

Wow, not my case at all. This is probably the best implementation of HDR I've seen in a game thus far.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
HDR in the betas was some of the best implementation that I've seen also. I'm playing on a LG B6 OLED 55".

Oct 26, 2017
Is it the same tavern on the same island? Some islands run great and others run terribly.

Same island. Starting area.

Wow, not my case at all. This is probably the best implementation of HDR I've seen in a game thus far.

HDR in the betas was some of the best implementation that I've seen also. I'm playing on a LG B6 OLED 55".

Odd as hell. Games like Gears 4 all look fantastic but it drastically changed SoT for me with HDR. I made two photos to show the difference. I know you can't actually 100% show HDR that way but trust me, it looks pretty close to the pic on my TV.

HDR SOT https://imgur.com/gallery/fjvpa

SDR SOT https://imgur.com/gallery/LjPKf

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Odd as hell. Games like Gears 4 all look fantastic but it drastically changed SoT for me with HDR. I made two photos to show the difference. I know you can't actually 100% show HDR that way but trust me, it looks pretty close to the pic on my TV.

The colours look way over-saturated in the SDR shot there, but spot-on in the HDR shot. So I'm seeing the opposite of what you're seeing - I think the HDR looks far more natural.

EDIT: The colours really do look completely fucked in SDR there. The gun/barrels/rocks are blue for example.

Oct 26, 2017
The colours look way over-saturated in the SDR shot there, but spot-on in the HDR shot. So I'm seeing the opposite of what you're seeing - I think the HDR looks far more natural.

EDIT: The colours really do look completely fucked in SDR there. The gun/barrels/rocks are blue for example.

I'll make some more shots in a minute. Remember those screenshots that really gave you that tropical island feel? Vibrant colours and such? How it looked at E3 for us (without HDR then) is how SDR here is for me, with HDR just too dark. I'll see if I can make some more shots that really show it. But it certainly is a drastic difference.

(entirely possible I prefer the bright and vibrant look more and that it's actually how it should be in HDR here too.)

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Anything involving the sun and the water, whether or be sunrise or sunset, consistently causes me to pause and marvel how gorgeous it all is. I've not seen what the game looks like in SDR, but it is stunning in HDR.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I have other people agreeing, when I posted this about the Final Beta everyone told me theirs was perfect. There's lot of drops and one island has some big performance drops. It seemed pretty solid on the S from watching my partner played but I wasn't personally playing that version. Also no, resetting the console won't fix it.

This is very dissapointing as the developer openly stated on Reddit that it was a locked 30FPS. This is far from locked, and I'm not one to nitpick for an odd stutter. Really hope they implement a dynamic resolution to sort this out in a future update. Really disappointed about the false statement from Rare.
I never did get a chance to test the final beta as it kept throwing those beard errors.

Downloading the final version now.

Doesn't sound too good so far though, so hope they get a patch out.

ganaconda

Jan 24, 2018
That and I'm about to make a thread about this on the official SoT forum as well. Hope people from Rare reply there. The issues are weird because they are not constant. In the tavern it's constantly there, outside it's better and then for no reason it can start showing tearing and even framedrops.

Don't believe it's a case of the hardware not being able to handle it, more like some bug. Isn't tearing a vsync issue?

Can you link to your post on the official SoT forum? Curious to see the response.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Figure I'll ask here too since this is the place a lot of people are discussing the X :)

Freesync question, I bought the LG 27UD69P because it supports freesync over HDMI. However I just read it has a range of 48-60Hz, I assume this isn't good for an X right? At least I'll have 4k!

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

HDR one looks great.

SDR looks seriously awful there. Your settings for SDR must be way, way off.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
maybe a 1800/ 60 on X1 as an option and 4K CB on pro?

I wouldnt take much notice of a retailers specs
1800p native with upscaling to 4K on X is better than 4K CBR on Pro. Pro is likely 1440p with 4K CBR. No chance for 1800/60, with these CPUs thats impossible. I guess this is the same settings as GR Wildlands which looked exceptional on X, especially HDR.

Oct 27, 2017
1800p native with upscaling to 4K on X is better than 4K CBR on Pro. Pro is likely 1440p with 4K CBR. No chance for 1800/60, with these CPUs thats impossible. I guess this is the same settings as GR Wildlands which looked exceptional on X, especially HDR.

Battlefront 2 is between 1800 and Native at 60 on 1X, so it's possible.

The Futurist

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are HDR. Guess it's just me then that really like the vibrant green colours overall, over the darker HDR look.

In all the shots you mean? It's a bit better on my TV though, looks less dark.
HDR should be darker, but unless it's completely the shots you took, you can barely see the detail in the shadow, especially of the house in the first picture.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are HDR. Guess it's just me then that really like the vibrant green colours overall, over the darker HDR look.

In all the shots you mean? It's a bit better on my TV though, looks less dark.

You must really be drastically changing your picture settings on your set. I don't really understand why you wouldn't go for an accurate picture, but to each their own I guess!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Is it the same tavern on the same island? Some islands run great and others run terribly.

I specifically checked my starting tavern, remebering what you said about having tearing on your end. Nada, ran fine, though out on the water in a schooner, I saw pronounced tearing while I raised the anchor. I haven't worked out what the common factor is that could trigger it. It doesn't seem to be related to how much action/processing is happening in the scene itself.

Edit: I did a test and created a new pirate, and oddly enough, the green flash as the characters appear while they spawn seemed to have tearing, but possibly just that effect itself. Which is super weird. Nothing in that tavern, though.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I've just spent 30 minutes playing Sea of Thieves and aside from some occasional frame pacing issues, it was a locked 30fps with no tearing, which surprised the hell out of me based on previous posts in this thread.

I was playing solo though - haven't tried any other mode yet - so perhaps that has an effect? I'm not claiming to have a magic Xbox and I'm really sensitive to tearing and framerate issues, so I'm assuming it's either because I'm playing solo or there's something else going on. Have those with issues tried restarting their X? Are they playing solo? Very strange but it seems those claiming there are no issues might not be lying after all, perhaps it's because they're playing solo like me.

Incidentally, the game looks absolutely stunning. A huge step up from how it looked in the beta without the X enhancements and lower resolution.

I'm trying playing with a crew later tonight and see if that triggers the tearing and framerate issues discussed in this thread.

Oct 26, 2017
Finally checked out Forza Horizon 3. Does the HDR seem a tad dim to anyone else?

Yeah it sadly has looked too dim for a while now.

You must really be drastically changing your picture settings on your set. I don't really understand why you wouldn't go for an accurate picture, but to each their own I guess!

Thing is, with these SDR settings games like Fortnite look amazing, MHW looks good too. The only thing I could change is live Colour which is at medium and color is at 60. But that will only make things less colorful. I did disable a setting called black adjust but at first glance it barely seemed to change anything.

ganaconda

Jan 24, 2018
Can you link to your post on the official SoT forum? Curious to see the response.

Bump. I'd like to see Rare address the issues that people are seeing. Has anyone from Rare acknowledged the performance issues? I haven't played yet, hopefully will get a chance tonight, but if it's as some in here have described I may wait until the issues are addressed.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sadly has looked too dim for a while now.

Thing is, with these SDR settings games like Fortnite look amazing, MHW looks good too. The only thing I could change is live Colour which is at medium and color is at 60. But that will only make things less colorful. I did disable a setting called black adjust but at first glance it barely seemed to change anything.

I mean honestly, if it looks good to you then by all means!

I will say though, that if you set up your display with recommended accurate settings, or have it professionally calibrated, and then give it a week or two to let yours eyes adjust to the settings, you'll be golden. After that everything looks incredible and accurate and consistent and you no longer have to worry about things not looking right depending on the game or film you're watching (unless there's an actual technical fuck up of course). Just set it and forget it. I haven't had to touch my KS8000 for about a year now. It's just perfect in every game.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Does anyone know if SEGA has said anything about the Sonic Mania X enhancement patch? They cant lock it behind the Plus expasion

Oct 26, 2017
I mean honestly, if it looks good to you then by all means!

I will say though, that if you set up your display with recommended accurate settings, or have it professionally calibrated, and then give it a week or two to let yours eyes adjust to the settings, you'll be golden. After that everything looks incredible and accurate and consistent and you no longer have to worry about things not looking right depending on the game or film you're watching (unless there's an actual technical fuck up of course). Just set it and forget it. I haven't had to touch my KS8000 for about a year now. It's just perfect in every game.

I have been considering a professional calibrator for a while but also was reluctant because I often find the settings from HDTVtest, DF and such sites rather full. But like you said, it takes some getting used to. But I wonder, what exactly does a calibrator change that I can't change myself? Do they go into hidden settings?

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have been considering a professional calibrator for a while but also was reluctant because I often find the settings from HDTVtest, DF and such sites rather full. But like you said, it takes some getting used to. But I wonder, what exactly does a calibrator change that I can't change myself? Do they go into hidden settings?

Yes, they can access hidden settings, and they have professional equipment (spectroradiometer, etc..) to apply perfect color accuracy, luminence & black levels, grayscale calibration, gamma calibration, etc..

Definitely far beyond what you could accomplish eyeballing it with basic menus.

But again, calibration is all about accuracy, not artificial pop, so a properly calibrated accurate image may look dim to you at first. After some acclimation though there's just no other way to go.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017

You do realize that you can't accurately take a picture of a HDR and SDR screen with your phone, post it on a web site and expect people to see an accurate difference between the two?