Votes: 486 62.0%
  • Disposable AAs

Votes: 60 7.7%
  • Wired

Votes: 15 1.9%

• Total voters

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Eneloops have served me incredibly well for ages. I'll keep using them and basically never worry about battery life.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I still have a few Eneloops in my rotation of battery operated household things that i bought during the 360 gen.

T h e 3 6 0 g e n.

How is this still even a question in 2020. Buy Eneloops.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Already use eneloops for my PC controller and Oculus controllers, just ordered another pack for the Series S controllers too.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
No option for wired? I don't put any batteries in mine I just plug in the USB cable. I prefer the way the controller feels wired too because it's lighter.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
using eneloops since X360 ; No need to change a winning plan.

In fact I'm more stressed about my Elite V2 and it's internal battery because I'm pretty sure that at some point it will die or at least start to have shorter battery life, and there will be nothing I will be able to do against that...

OP
OP
24thFrame

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
No option for wired? I don't put any batteries in mine I just plug in the USB cable. I prefer the way the controller feels wired too because it's lighter.

I'll add it! I sit 6 feet away from the TV and have a toddler who likes to pull on anything she can wrap her hands around. It didn't even occur to me that some might play wired, haha.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have eneloops and a elite controller. I wish my elite controller allowed me to swap batteries, the battery on the elite only lasts 20 hours now instead of 40.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Basically Eneloops/Ladda/Amazon batteries, think they all come from the same factory and a charger as usual. Always the best way.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I have amazon basic play and charge kit for 2 of my controllers, which I swap back and forth (actually, I just started wiring them, since I play right up close or through streaming to my computer). But I always have eneloops handy and for the couple other controllers that I have, that's what I use. I kind enjoy popping out the batteries and replacing them. It's tactile. I don't like remembering to take the batteries off the charger though lol. Always forget.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
I'll add it! I sit 6 feet away from the TV and have a toddler who likes to pull on anything she can wrap her hands around. It didn't even occur to me that some might play wired, haha.
I have my console setup at a PC desk, I'm sat right infront of it haha. I never owned a wireless 360 controller through the entire generation either, I hate the idea of having to fanny about changing batteries mid game or random disconnects during a multiplayer game etc.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
There is no better option than Eneloops. You can use them with a variety of things, they are pretty cheap now for a pack with a lot (much cheaper than a play and charge kit), and you can just simply swap them out in your controller rather than plugging it in so you can keep playing wirelessly.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i been using the same 4 eneloop batteries i got with a panasonic charger for 20 bux, from Best Buy back in 2012. Still works like a charm

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Recently switched to rechargeable batteries and I don't see a better way of doing it. I'd argue having rechargeable AA batteries is the best way to game, because you never have to plug the controller in but can always keep playing wireless as long as you have a spare set ready and charged to go.

GAME. CHANGER!
This is the only way to go for me. Having a cable around to charge a controller either while playing or afterwards feels absolutely disgusting.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I still have a few Eneloops in my rotation of battery operated household things that i bought during the 360 gen.

T h e 3 6 0 g e n.

How is this still even a question in 2020. Buy Eneloops.
Yep, I just ordered another batch of Eneloops but I'm still using the batteries I bought for the 360 and Wii.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Have been AA Eneloops for Xbox, and my son took my XB1 to university with some eneloops. But for XSX I'm tempted for the play and charge kit as its USB-C so I can easily charge with the USB-C cable I have in a drawer and is used for the switch pro controller too. If I accidentally kill the battery in a session I can just pop some AAs in there if needed too

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Hadn't even thought about it. I presume the play and charge kit for the Xbox One controllers don't work in the new ones?

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
71JHh34P0QL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Seriously, I don't know why people hate rechargeables. My xbox elite controller with these in it runs several times longer than dualshock4.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
This is the only way to go for me. Having a cable around to charge a controller either while playing or afterwards feels absolutely disgusting.
I still remember being forced to use a crappy shirt wire on my friend's PS4 and being forced to sit in front of the TV and having no other option when the controller died. Having to use a wire seems so backwards to me, but then you'll also hear people say the same about batteries. To each their own.

Personally I can't see how rechargeable batteries in an Xbox controller isn't the best of both worlds, though XD

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Do battery packs from Xbox One controllers work? I've got a Duracell recharging stand with two battery packs, so I'd just use those if they still work.

If not, I'll buy eneloops.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I have a charge and play for my crystal white Xbox One controller and of course the built in battery for my Elite 2 that lasts forever. I'm good.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the type c cable, is the battery that comes with the new controllers the same as the current ones? From the pictures I see online they look the same, and if that's the case I have couple of the Xbox One play and charge batteries. I just have to grab a type c cable.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I have 8 2800 Eneloops and by the time All's said and done, I'll have 3 Xbox Controllers (X1 Design Labs, XSX Base Controller, XSX Design Labs), so I'm set, since I only play alone 90% of the time anyway.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I have 8 Eneloops Pros arround. Not sure what their actual total lifetime is, but I should be fine for a couple years.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love Eneloops and have basically stopped using disposable batteries. With children's toys I'm sure this saved me a hundred dollars, if not more.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I have two of those play and charge batteries with the charging stand. Hoping they're compatible with the new controller.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Rechargeable AAs work really well, they last forever. Not sure why some people seem to hate them.

This has been quite the opposite of my experience with rechargeable batteries. My roommate had an Xbone and his rechargeable batteries literally never worked.

What brand do you recommend for someone who is coming back to Xbox after a long period of fuckXboxism?

Oct 25, 2017
This has been quite the opposite of my experience with rechargeable batteries. My roommate had an Xbone and his rechargeable batteries literally never worked.

What brand do you recommend for someone who is coming back to Xbox after a long period of fuckXboxism?
People always recommend Eneloops. I have a set of 4 from Sony, including a charger.
Not sure what you mean by "never work". I use two and keep two ready, that's it. Two of them have 5,000 mAh of charge, which is 4 to 5 times of what a standard DS4 has and why they last so long.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020

Sorry, it feels "disgusting" to plug in a controller to charge, just like literally every modern electronic device, as opposed to physically swapping out batteries which feels absolutely archaic?

Sorry, I don't get the love for swapping out AA batteries here. Do people play 24/7? My controllers last for weeks. Just plug it in before sleeping every once in a while or literally anytime. I don't see how that's not infinitely more elegant of a solution than removing 2 batteries, needing to put those in a separate charger, plugging that into the wall, and swapping back in each time, while keeping track of the batteries. Would we also want to do this with our phones, tablets, laptops, consoles, etc?

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Anyone have any experience with the IKEA Ladda batteries?

They're cheaper and from what I read pretty much the same as Eneloops.

Last edited:

senj

Nov 6, 2017

Eneloops. I use them in everything. Mine are still going strong after a decade.