Status
Not open for further replies.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
"Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required."

👀
My guess is this just means games will use their X enhanced modes by default (if available) and games with dynamic resolution will have it maxed out.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
A cheaper SKU with a big margin means they can take a hit on this one without selling at a loss. They can hit $499 with that. Even less if they're willing to take a loss. Those specs for $449 would put Sony in a real tough spot.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
Do it, SONYY!
createcard.png

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
So 12 TFlops is good right? This thing is reasonably beefy?

Lets put it this way: When there were rumors it was 12 TF, people freaked out saying it's a pretty insane achievement. And they expected RDNA 1, which is less efficient. Then rumors started that the 12 TF number was actually based on GCN estimates, which felt more realistic to people.

In reality, it's 12 RDNA 2 TFs, which is even better than the expectations people got hyped about.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
How can the series x have more teraflops than the rtx2080? 12 vs. 10. But the card costs more than the console presumably will as a whole.

Nvidia uses artificial scarcity to sell the lowest specs for the highest price.

Sony and Microsoft buy parts by the tens of millions so they get huge bulk discounts.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
I honestly have no idea what any of this means, I have no interest in the technical side of things, don't even know what a teraflop is.

What makes me buy consoles are the exclusive games, and from what I've heard so far there don't seem to be any? I can play them on my Xbox 1?

So what exactly would convince someone like me to drop $500 on this? I know this is an enthusiasts forum so more people here understand the technical side, but I think the average consumer/gamer will be on my side of the fence.

gooner4life

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they drop this for $499 I'll be shocked.

For context, I bought my son a PC in August, it's got a 2080 Ti that is around 14.4 teraflops on average (clock speeds boost depending on temps) and an 8 core 16 thread CPU.

It cost me £2700 or $3500 - 6 months ago. SIX MONTHS.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Lets put it this way: When there were rumors it was 12 TF, people freaked out saying it's a pretty insane achievement. And they expected RDNA 1, which is less efficient. Then rumors started that the 12 TF number was actually based on GCN estimates, which felt more realistic to people.

In reality, it's 12 RDNA 2 TFs, which is even better than the expectations people got hyped about.
Sounds great! :D

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
This console is going to be amazing. agh wow.

PS5 will likely still be my primary platform though, so I really need Sony to come through with some info so I can actually make up my mind.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My uninformed theory

they sell the Xbox at 399, undercutting Sony, drawing in tons of new players, make up for the loss on the hardware with the revenue of all them new gamers.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
gladly pay 499 for that power. no way they go for 600 they are more likely to bite a production cost since they want to make money from services like gamepass and gold

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hopefully they don't cheap out on the ram and go with 599 to match the ram to the rest of the specs

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
So much other great tidbits here also...

The multiple resume sounds great. I'm always bouncing between games and the though of just jumping in where I was is awesome.

Compatibility with all XB1, 360 BC and Xbox BC titles was known but still great.

Crossbuy between Xbox One and Series X is very nice. No more two of the same game that you have to buy twice depending when you jump into the console. Being able to buy the game once and have it "unlock" the version depending where you play is great.

I mean so much more, but damn...this is sounding great.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Games like Division 2 will be fantastic in consoles like this, Power, The SSD. Latency, Resume.

Fair play to MS.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
For comparison, how much is Xbox one X and how much are people speculating for PS5?

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
This one will be 599, and there will be an entry level one that is a boosted One X at 399, and the One X will be cut to 199

All play the "same games", with some caveats and exceptions, meaning theres an xbox for every price point

Its a great play by xbox, especially coupled with their hardware upgrade finance options and of course gamepass etc.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Smart delivery being optional probably points to 3rd parties not being onboard with doing X/Pro like Enhancements for PS5/XSX for "free" which is kinda worrying. Hopefully enough get onboard so they all basically get pressured into it whether they actually want to or not. A platform holder already committing to it is a great first step at least.
Third parties will never want to invest too much into stuff like this, they simply don't benefit from it in the short term, thus making it not worth the effort (at least that seems to be their reasoning behind this most of the time). Which obviously is pretty dumb, but that's most big publishers, so ... /shrug

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Platform warring and trolling. Long history of infractions for the same thing.
Oh, and PC Master Race people, this is the new baseline for you to claim your membership card:

8C/16T CPU
RTX2070Super or better
NVMe SSD

Anything less, and a console will be bettering you. Might as well call yourself PC Lower Caste.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, the Series X reads like a meaty console! It's great to see Microsoft get serious, both in studios and in their consoles.

I think I'll make the Series X the start of my Xbox journey, should be a great time :)

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My uninformed theory

they sell the Xbox at 399, undercutting Sony, drawing in tons of new players, make up for the loss on the hardware with the revenue of all them new gamers.
They would likely already lose a bunch at $499, depending on the memory configuration, so $399 is very much a pipe dream imo.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
If it is indeed 12TF RDNA 2.0 Phil was sandbagging big time with his early performance claims..this thing is a god damned BEAST and I am so happy about it.

I've been team 14TF this whole time but I was guessing that on RDNA 1.0 lol. I'm drooling at what an all new KI could look like on this system.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This console is going to be amazing. agh wow.

PS5 will likely still be my primary platform though, so I really need Sony to come through with some info so I can actually make up my mind.
Yeah, that's what I keep thinking. MS keeps talking about Xbox, but where's Sony? What are they doing, and when will they talk about PS5? PS4 was already revealed by this time in 2013.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I can imagine this being 599, but only if the PS5 is pretty significantly less powerful at 499. There's been people like Matt saying both will be very close, so I suspect both will just be 499.
Yeah, I'd imagine that both will be pretty damn close with maybe a few minor differences (Ex: a little more GPU power for Series X, a little more CPU power for PS5, etc.).

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Folks should pay attention the bolded. It's up to the publisher/dev if they want you to pay for their games once. Guess we'll see who shows their ass soon enough.

There's nothing surprising about this, is there?

They can't force publishers into business practices which they might view as revenue-narrowing, and they certainly won't want to tempt anyone to go exclusive or get all shy about the console like the N64 saw.

Seems to me that adding the feature, and I assume applying it for all first party titles, is as far as they can practically go with encouraging this policy.

Will be interesting to see if Sony takes the same approach.

Minecraft will look like this

2019-04-01-image.jpg

5/10 nice water but still looks blocky.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
All this sounds amazing. I see this coming in at 499. 399 seems like too big of a loss for them.

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
The crossbuy thing could be amazing - buy Cyberpunk in Sept, keep playing on the Series X etc... I'm in at up to £500 day 1, already got 3 years of GamePass Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.