• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting gdc talk on Gamepass.
  • Members play 40% more titles after joining.
  • Members play games across 30% more genres after joining.
  • Average 8.3x player lift after a back catalog game joins Gamepass.
  • For new games from large publishers 3.5x player lift compared similar games not on Gamepass.
  • Similarly 15x player lift new indie games.
  • 3.5x lift for games launching on Gamepass compared to steam.
  • Social conversation increased by 3x for a game when it is announced for Gamepass.
  • GP members 4x more likely to stream on twitch.
  • GP members spend 50% more than similar users.
  • Post-sale monetization increases by 2.8x after joining Gamepass, 50% of this comes from new players to the game.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Seems to address the two main concerns

1. It does not harm the sales of your game
2. It does not alter the perception of quality of your game (ie shovelware or F2P).

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly how can this still be legal?'

Anyways Gamepass has been the best thing in gaming in a long time.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Nah, I don't believe it. An expert here already told me that Game Pass will turn everything in GaaS and kill sales of games.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm really curious about the revenue shares and stuff - like is this something their competitors could feasibly do - or is it a strictly deep-pockets-Microsoft thing?

If it's the former - the benefits are clear and the others should be replicating the clear success.

I certainly try and play more because of it. It's also true I look at the library and feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes, but when the new announcements roll in I immediately scan it for something that might appeal to me. I downloaded Tunic last night.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
There have been plenty of times when a game I had no interest in/or knowledge of had popped on GP that I ended up loving. When those games drop off, I tend to purchase them. Stuff like What Remains of Edith Finch, Call Of The Sea or Outer Wilds. So some people trying stuff out in lieu of a demo makes sense to me

2. It does not alter the perception of quality of your game (ie shovelware or F2P).
I don't know. I've been told by shouty people online that it will ruin games.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is why demos are incredibly important. People try a game, love it, then buy it.
This is why good demos are incredibly important.

A bad demo is just as likely to turn someone off from a game they may otherwise like. Access to the full game is the best kind of demo because there is nothing that needs to be held back that could ruin the experience, so a developer doesn't need to worry about putting the time and effort into crafting a good demo.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't get buying a game that you can finish on game pass if you're subbed. All props to those who do it and it helps the devs but you're basically paying twice for the same game because you're entitled to the game for usually at least 12 months post addition to GP, or in the case of Xbox first party, you never need to pay full retail.

I buy less games because of game pass, I'm always on fear that a game I might buy will be free with game pass soon lol. Good to see it's having a very positive impact and I'd love to one day see how these stats compare to Nintendo and Sony platforms with the same games compared

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Roaring success for GOTG it seems. Hopefully that tells SE that people like the game

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
judge-rudy-rupaul.gif

Oct 25, 2017

Which part is about a game's sales? Is that what "lift" is?

That's the part that has never made sense to be the idea that a game launching on a subscription service for no extra cost doesn't see a decrease in number of sales. Increasing in DLC spending, streams, popularity all make sense.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting gdc talk on Gamepass.
  • Members play 40% more titles after joining.
  • Members play games across 30% more genres after joining.
  • Average 8.3x player lift after a back catalog game joins Gamepass.
  • For new games from large publishers 3.5x player lift compared similar games not on Gamepass.
  • Similarly 15x player lift new indie games.
  • 3.5x lift for games launching on Gamepass compared to steam.
  • Social conversation increased by 3x for a game when it is announced for Gamepass.
  • GP members 4x more likely to stream on twitch.
  • GP members spend 50% more than similar users.
  • Post-sale monetization increases by 2.8x after joining Gamepass, 50% of this comes from new players to the game.

Super impressive numbers, particularly the spotlight it puts on indie games.

Apr 26, 2020
I mean seems accurate i guess, i try more, but dont finish more games. My GP life goes like this

Download a title -> Plays it for like an hour -> Never touches it again, because it doesnt hook me enough and with it being so cheap i dont have extra motivation to play it again -> Delete beforementioned downloaded game.

This past month alone
Anthem, Dodgeball academia, No Mans Sky, Empire of Sin, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Spelunky 2, Twelve minutes, Worms WMD.

Succesfull played games (some for months now)
Forza Horizon 5, age of Empires 4, Golf with your friends, Human fall flat

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
Curious to know what the average playtime would be on popular titles, since that's a metric streaming services love to leave out of their PR dumps (Netflix has counted 2-10 minutes of viewing as someone viewing a whole film in the past, for instance).

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Who to trust? Some PR guy, or Era experts who assured me it was ruining the industry... šŸ¤”