• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

View: https://twitter.com/workwombatman/status/1555245141975187456?s=21&t=P_fNqWDDdm4j0jCZTeDNSA

We're always looking for ways to deliver experiences that offer players more choice and value in how they discover and experience games with their community. Starting today in Colombia and Ireland, Xbox Insiders can begin to preview a plan that allows multiple people to share Game Pass Ultimate benefits. This makes it even easier to play the best Game Pass games with friends and family across console, PC, and cloud by enabling you to add up to four people to your subscription, all with their own unique access to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate games, content, and benefits.

To participate in the preview, you need to purchase the "Xbox Game Pass – Insider Preview" Game Pass plan in the Microsoft Store. Check out release notes here for when the preview is rolled out to your ring: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/xboxinsider/.

Things to know about this preview:

• The people you share your membership with do not have to be Insiders but must reside in the same country as you. Enrollment is limited and will remain open while the offer is available.
  • Joining the Game Pass – Insider Preview will convert the time remaining on your membership to time in the new plan, based upon the monetary value of the old membership. For example, a full month of Ultimate will be converted to 18 days of membership for this plan. This way you won't lose any of the remaining value on your existing subscription upon conversion. Conversion is final, and users must wait for their new membership to expire before returning to a previous membership.
  • Conversion is not available for invited group members. Before joining a group, a group member can cancel their existing subscription or wait for it to expire. If they do not have a Microsoft account, invited friends and family will have to create a new Microsoft account and sign in with it to participate.
  • Members with Xbox All Access won't be able to participate in this preview.
  • In Colombia, parts of the copy for the preview have not been localized and might be displayed in English.

Sounds like GPU Family will be up to 4 people in the same country (not household) and will convert up from GPU at some rate (similar to adding time onto an existing GPU sub… not a 1:1 ratio)

Confirmed 5 total (1 GPU Family sub owner + 4 shared accounts), with the account owner being able to still do primary/secondary console sharing for a total of 6. Sharing this subscription does not work for the shared accounts to prevent a chain of sub sharing. Per OscarK

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1555328623766388736?s=20&t=G-Qm9EDGe9OhnvMofBZx2w

22 Euros a month, expected $25 a month in the US.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Interesting that they're testing it with Ultimate. If they ever get rid of Xbox Live Gold, family sharing would be a good replacement for Ultimate.

One person is the account holder and invites other Microsoft Accounts to be part of their plan. Up to 4 people
Let's goooo. I'll have some Redfall buddies.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
67% higher price? so ~22€ per month in europe, 25$ in us.

for comparison, switch online family plan is 75% more expensive but allows up to 8 accounts.

Last edited:

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Hmm. At $25 a month they need to get their consistency up. I mean I am on board for my kids but yeah. I am probably down.

Edit: wait does the primary count as part of the four?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Hmm. At $25 a month they need to get their consistency up. I mean I am on board for my kids but yeah. I am probably down.

I think this year is obviously bad and I've been pessimistic. However, first half of next year is already loaded and I don't see Xbox slowing down after first half of next year. I suspect they'll have a great 2023 and an amazing 2024 onwards.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Good callout. I'd say that grammatically it would be 1 + 4, so 5.
"enabling you to add up to four people to your subscription"

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

No, it doesn't. So it's 5 total people. $5/each/mo.

Which... I mean.. yea, it's fantastic. At that price, it's just $1 more than the individual monthly price of Nintendo Switch Online - and that's a worse Xbox Live and this is Game Pass Ultimate. [Obviously, the yearly family plan of NSO is much cheaper haha]. If this is final pricing, that's crazy good.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Up to 5 people for what can be assumed at $25/mo total for GPU?

holy-shit.gif

Jul 22, 2022
I think that will encourage more people join even if they don't have 5 people to play with. Or it will encourage people to bring more people to Xbox ecosystem too via Series S (even those who did not plan but friends will tell about 5$ per month).

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Btw Game Pass Ultimate in Colombia is $7/m so it's ~$12/m for 5 members there.

Insane value.

I wonder how much this will increase Xbox Series S sales.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think that will encourage more people join even if they don't have 5 people to play with. Or it will encourage people to bring more people to Xbox ecosystem too via Series S (even those who did not plan but friends will tell about 5$ per month).
Yeah I could totally see Xbox Series S being a hot holiday gift and people buying it for friends and family so they can put them on the family plan.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Once the $1 deals dry up, I'll prob be pretty interested in this.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I'm In a house with 2 kids, serval xbox and one who kid who'd love cloud access.

Our GPU has been stretched beyond with home consoles and secondary accounts bumping me offline.

This can't some soon enough 🥳

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah I could totally see Xbox Series S being a hot holiday gift and people buying it for friends and family so they can put them on the family plan.
Yeah, "buy so we can play for 5$" encouraging other people to spend more in the ecosystem.

Granted they are testing it for now, so let's the what test results will be there.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Btw Game Pass Ultimate in Colombia is $7/m so it's ~$12/m for 5 members there.

Insane value.

I wonder how much this will increase Xbox Series S sales.
I was wondering about regional pricing. Wow.

Since this is Ultimate, if the conversion maintains in perpetuity, I wonder if this kills the 3 year conversion trick. Cuz.. buying 3 years of Gold for ~$180 or even less, which gets converted straight into Ultimate for (at the lowest) $1.

Which can then be converted into 1 year and ~10 months of GPU for 5 people... That's a monthly cost of less than $2 >_<

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I was wondering about regional pricing. Wow.

Since this is Ultimate, if the conversion maintains in perpetuity, I wonder if this kills the 3 year conversion trick. Cuz.. buying 3 years of Gold for ~$180 or even less, which gets converted straight into Ultimate for (at the lowest) $1.

Which can then be converted into 1 year and ~10 months of GPU for 5 people... That's a monthly cost of less than $2 >_<
I think they'll kill the gold conversion when Game Pass starts delivering month after month. So maybe early next year?

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Huh I guess both Xbox and game sharing have been quite big here in Colombia, sounds like a good deal but I've got nobody to share with : (

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well, good to know I might be able to use this when my GPU sub runs out in 2024. I got friends who'll be more than happy to share a plan.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
This requires friends.

On a serious note, this is great. And it'll really make an impact once it's rolled out worldwide + CoD dropping into the service for the mass casual market.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I have wanted most since the Series X/S launched. I could see the value in owning an S with my X, but using the current account sharing meant that I would have to play on the S when doing co-op. This lets me share things properly and possible split the cost with others for the extra accounts I won't need.
I just need to understand what happens to the other accounts on all of the consoles. Hopefully as long as the "owner" account in the console is in the plan then all accounts on the console can use it. Basically meaning 5 consoles total with GPU and not just 5 total accounts. That way my kids can still share the S and I will have 3 other invites to split the cost with.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
Sounds great, hope it gets expanded to other countries quickly!
Reckon I could easily find 4 people to share a subscription with!

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Well, good to know I might be able to use this when my GPU sub runs out in 2024. I got friends who'll be more than happy to share a plan.
If you're okay with your Game Pass expiring earlier, my guess is you can use this even earlier and not pay until it expires.

This is all just a secret ploy so they can get people to lose their years long Game Pass subscriptions.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I did some quick maths, ends up being 25 USD a month.

Assuming you split with 4 others, that's 5 bucks each and you all have access to cloud gaming.

It's a really good deal for those that don't want to do the hassle of the conversion trick, and also those who would rather pay monthly.

Also, the blogpost specifically mentions same country, so I don't think a same household requirement is there.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I did some quick maths, ends up being 25 USD a month.

Assuming you split with 4 others, that's 5 bucks each and you all have access to cloud gaming.

It's a really good deal for those that don't want to do the hassle of the conversion trick, and also those who would rather pay monthly.
I imagine gold conversion trick is on its death bed now.

I could see them getting rid of it whenever family plan launches.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I imagine gold conversion trick is on its death bed now.

I could see them getting rid of it whenever family plan launches.
Speaking of, here's some maths assuming the conversion trick stays:

Let's say full price gold, 60 bucks a year.

3 years, so 180 USD.

3 years converts to 657 days, or 22 months, of the family plan (30 days becomes 18).

It cost 180 for the whole thing, so divide it by 22 to get monthly cost, which is 8.2.

And now of course divide that by 5, assuming a 5 way split.

1.64 USD a month, assuming my math checks out.

So, uh, yeah, that's a lot cheaper lol, but you can only do 22 months at a time.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Two friends who each had GPU could split a 5 pack, give one free account each to a relative/friend, not use the 5th one at all, and still save money.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

If you're okay with your Game Pass expiring earlier, my guess is you can use this even earlier and not pay until it expires.

This is all just a secret ploy so they can get people to lose their years long Game Pass subscriptions.
I mean, it might work. If your friends already have ultimate, they have to cancel or let it run out first. This also means that whoever in your group has the MOST GPU stacked should be the one to lead the conversion to family plan (all else being equal).

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

I mean, it might work. If your friends already have ultimate, they have to cancel or let it run out first. This also means that whoever in your group has the MOST GPU stacked should be the one to lead the conversion to family plan (all else being equal).
I guess that's the kicker. If more than one person in your group already has ultimate, then it's a waste to merge now.

Unless there's also a conversion for those joining your plan too? I didn't see anything about that in the blog post.

Edit: yep, no conversion for joining members.

Conversion is not available for invited group members. Before joining a group, a group member can cancel their existing subscription or wait for it to expire.