• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
In 2021 and 2022, Xbox shared news on Xbox Wire on the Thursday before the Xbox Games Showcase scheduled for that upcoming Sunday. (They also did something similar in 2020, but that show was on a Thursday and said news was shared on Sunday? The news being XCloud coming to Ultimate at no extra cost).

June 10 2021 (Thursday before showcase):
news.xbox.com

Bringing the Joy and Community of Gaming to Everyone - Xbox Wire

At Xbox, our mission is simple: bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. To achieve that, we aspire to empower everyone to play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want. Ahead of the first-ever Xbox and Bethesda Showcase on Sunday, when we will...
  • Shared some fluff and bullet points on Game Pass growth and engagement.
  • Announced TV apps for XCloud were coming
  • working with telecom companies to provide ways to buy an Xbox/Game Pass (like through All-Access)
  • exploring new subscription offerings
  • announced the "Keystone" streaming device project (since shelved, literally)
  • adding cloud gaming to the browser
  • new regions for Cloud
  • upgrading to Series X servers
  • Integrating cloud into the PC app and console OS
  • The goal of having at least one new, first party game every quarter.
news.xbox.com

Satya Nadella and Phil Spencer on Why Microsoft is “All In” on Gaming - Xbox Wire

Ahead of the first-ever Xbox & Bethesda Showcase on Sunday, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer hosted a series of conversations with Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, and members of Microsoft’s Gaming Leadership team on the future of gaming at Microsoft. We’ve shared some highlights from the day in...
  • just some PR interview fluff about Satya being "All-in" on gaming, which itself was pretty significant to hear at the time. This was well before any plans even started to acquire Activision, and set a new tone for the brand to hear it from the CEO who otherwise seemed detached from gaming.

June 9th 2022 (Thursday before showcase):

news.xbox.com

Xbox is Building the Gaming Platform for the Next 20 Years - Xbox Wire

This Sunday, at the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase, we’ll be giving our fans a closer look at an amazing line-up of games coming to Xbox, PC, and cloud. As we prepare to pull back the curtain on the games to come, we also wanted to share some updates on how you’ll be able to […]
  • XCloud TV app coming to new 2022 Samsung Smart TVs (note: has since expanded to some older models)
  • Expanding XCloud to more regions, this time Argentina and New Zealand
  • Enhancements to gaming on Edge and Windows 11
    • Optimizations for Windowed games (AutoHDR, VRR, etc)
    • HDR calibration app
    • Game Pass Widget
    • Controller bar
    • Clarity Boost on Edge for XCloud gameplay
    • other sh**
  • Announced the intention to let Game Pass Ultimate users stream owned games outside of Game Pass
    • Targeted by end of 2022, still hasn't happened. Possibly due to legal battle over Cloud market
  • Project Moorcroft,a perk of Game Pass to play curated demos of games
    • Participating developers would be compensated
  • Expanded Xbox Design Lab customization options and participating countries

Here are some of the things I would like to see announced in 2023 as part of this:
  • Expanded TV app availability (LG, Roku, Amazon, Android..)
  • Mouse and Keyboard with Cloud gaming
  • Follow up on the streaming owned games and Project Moorcroft
  • Series S price cut to $250 permanently
  • Expanded storage options (like the WD expansion card, or like a 1TB Series S and 1.5TB Series X or something)
  • Detached disc drive to play discs on Series S or a future Digital X
  • Details on a hardware revision / production of consoles process improvement
  • Announcing plans for DX12U AI video upscaling or some AI enhancement suite to their GameStack suite or something in the OS/Platform itself.

What are some businessy/platform/ecosystem type announcements or updates you would like to see on June 8th if history is to go off of? Things that aren't really big and bold enough for the Showcase, but can be exciting nonetheless.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They already permanently dropped the price of the Seagate storage cards, apparently?

I don't think a Series S price drop is in the cards.

Bringing Smart TV streaming to more TVs is a good one but I wouldn't be surprised to see that get a shout-out in the showcase itself. Like, wasn't expanding the number of Samsung Smart TVs that had access to cloud streaming the announcement they made at the TGAs, lol

I'm expecting them to reshuffle their subscription offerings, both with adding a family tier at the top and with revamping or eliminating Live Gold at the bottom. Live Gold is a very confused product right now.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They already permanently dropped the price of the Seagate storage cards, apparently?

I don't think a Series S price drop is in the cards.

Bringing Smart TV streaming to more TVs is a good one but I wouldn't be surprised to see that get a shout-out in the showcase itself. Like, wasn't expanding the number of Samsung Smart TVs that had access to cloud streaming the announcement they made at the TGAs, lol

I'm expecting them to reshuffle their subscription offerings, both with adding a family tier at the top and with revamping or eliminating Live Gold at the bottom. Live Gold is a very confused product right now.
They did announce the Seagate cards have a new MSRP and the leaked WD cards from Best Buy have yet to officially surface. Plus the leaked MSRP is like 20% higher which doesn't make much sense given I think the speed and form factor is the same in the end... But maybe there are even more brands than WD waiting to be announced or other options.

Bringing Smart TV apps out didn't get a shout in the showcase last time, so I don't think it will again. Perhaps Samsung had a 1 year exclusivity deal though, so that is why I think they may announce even more rolling out. Pushing ad awareness of xcloud tv apps seems like something more effectively done on the TV OS itself or at some other event like SGF / The Game Awards or something.

I would love Gold to get the ax and they shuffle things around, but given the position of the console market atm I think they can't really justify giving up their cash cow of Gold subscriptions. Would be nice and is a good shout though.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Game Pass Family Plan! Is that still a thing?
Oo good call. I harp on this daily basically. It is still a thing and is only in select markets for Xbox Insiders at the moment I think (Ireland, New Zealand, etc). This should rollout globally! Why hasn't it happened yet!! >:(

Expanding Game Pass PC and Cloud to even more regions than they have already is also probably on the horizon

CrewShadow

Feb 5, 2018
The one thing I would really like to see come to Xbox is something like Steam Remote play. I want to be able to play some of these local only games with my buddies that don't live anywhere near me anymore. I know Mixer had the option to do something along those lines with your stream.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Some were already mentioned, but:

-Changing Gold into GamePass Lite (4 games available monthly, with titles rotating every month of the GamePass Catalog; Cloud streaming of owned games; store discounts; multiplayer) keeping same price.

-Streaming owned games from Cloud available for all Xbox (Gold, GamePass, Ultimate) suscription paying users

-Xboz BC team working on some sort of AI automatic enhancements of 360 non-X enhanced titles, and/or low res Xbone titles

-Achievement System revamp

-Capture and DVR studios revamp

-Further streaming capabilities integration into the Console OS

-Revamp of the Windows Store on PC

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Maybe xbox console games on gamepass x cloud? I believe it's only pc gamepass at the moment.
Not sure what you mean. XCloud is strictly xbox console games as the servers are basically stripped down consoles (Series X server blades). If you are playing on the browser at xbox.com/play, on the xbox PC app, the mobile app, or cloud streaming on the console itself you are playing a Console version of a game. There are no PC games on XCloud at the moment.

But, soon we should be getting mouse and keyboard support for XCloud meaning you could stream Fortnite, Age of Empires 2, etc and play with MKB as long as the Xbox game supports MKB input!

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
Not sure what you mean. XCloud is strictly xbox console games as the servers are basically stripped down consoles (Series X server blades). If you are playing on the browser at xbox.com/play, on the xbox PC app, the mobile app, or cloud streaming on the console itself you are playing a Console version of a game. There are no PC games on XCloud at the moment.

But, soon we should be getting mouse and keyboard support for XCloud meaning you could stream Fortnite, Age of Empires 2, etc and play with MKB as long as the Xbox game supports MKB input!
Yes I meant to opposite to what I wrote regarding pc games on cloud. You are correct!

I was also thinking keyboard and mouse support as well

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yes I meant to opposite to what I wrote regarding pc games on cloud. You are correct!

I was also thinking keyboard and mouse support as well
The snafu with PC on XCloud is that because its an Xbox it needs an Xbox version of a game to exist. Ports like Age 2 (and soon Age 4) and Flight Sim to Xbox at least close that gap a bit more, which is nice. I'm not sure if MS would ever offer a PC streaming service ala GeForce Now with Windows VMs as it kind of messes with their ubiquity pitch for cloud gaming (build once, reach every device).

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I would love Gold to get the ax and they shuffle things around, but given the position of the console market atm I think they can't really justify giving up their cash cow of Gold subscriptions. Would be nice and is a good shout though.

On the other hand, given their position in the console market, maybe removing the paywall for online multiplayer is the sort of splashy move they need to make?

There's ways to do it that don't just totally light their subscription revenue on fire. I think people here would probably be surprised how many people with Live Gold pay $9.99/month for it and just let that auto renew, rather than pay annually. Microsoft could "upgrade" all those users to Game Pass at the same price. "Now instead of two Games with Gold a month, you have a library of hundreds! And you still get all the great benefits of Live Gold (because everybody gets them now)!"

It would definitely need to be a carefully managed transition – they also wouldn't want a bunch of people who have Game Pass Ultimate for online multiplayer to drop down to the base Game Pass tier, so they'd probably have to add some value to Ultimate as well – but I think it's worth doing. Live Gold is very much a legacy product (Microsoft doesn't even use the "Xbox Live" brand any more!) and it's sort of confusing next to Game Pass, and Games with Gold only muddles it further.

People can grok a subscription that comes with games. It's Netflix for games, easy. Having this other thing that you have alongside your Netflix for games, that also comes with games as like a side benefit but really isn't about that, it's about access to the network, except in F2P games because those have free access to the network now…it's just awkward and weird. They already removed the paywall for F2P games, which are all the most popular games anyway, they should just get rid of it as a paid product. Or, if they must, replace it with some sort of "Game Pass Basic," though I think it'd be a bad move to stratify the Game Pass library between tiers.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i just want rewards stuff to work

everything else is pretty fine to me really

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
On the other hand, given their position in the console market, maybe removing the paywall for online multiplayer is the sort of splashy move they need to make?

There's ways to do it that don't just totally light their subscription revenue on fire. I think people here would probably be surprised how many people with Live Gold pay $9.99/month for it and just let that auto renew, rather than pay annually. Microsoft could "upgrade" all those users to Game Pass at the same price. "Now instead of two Games with Gold a month, you have a library of hundreds! And you still get all the great benefits of Live Gold (because everybody gets them now)!"

It would definitely need to be a carefully managed transition – they also wouldn't want a bunch of people who have Game Pass Ultimate for online multiplayer to drop down to the base Game Pass tier, so they'd probably have to add some value to Ultimate as well – but I think it's worth doing. Live Gold is very much a legacy product (Microsoft doesn't even use the "Xbox Live" brand any more!) and it's sort of confusing next to Game Pass, and Games with Gold only muddles it further.

People can grok a subscription that comes with games. It's Netflix for games, easy. Having this other thing that you have alongside your Netflix for games, that also comes with games as like a side benefit but really isn't about that, it's about access to the network, except in F2P games because those have free access to the network now…it's just awkward and weird. They already removed the paywall for F2P games, which are all the most popular games anyway, they should just get rid of it as a paid product. Or, if they must, replace it with some sort of "Game Pass Basic," though I think it'd be a bad move to stratify the Game Pass library between tiers.
Game Pass... with ads. jk

But yeah, having no paid multiplayer would be a big move. Introducing the concept of paid online and having the other manufacturers embrace it, to then removing it would be nice to see as it increases the value proposition. I don't expect them to drop it as it would be a huge hit to their gaming services segment which is the main thing driving growth lately. Though outside of FIFA and CoD Arena and GTA Online, there aren't a whole lot of MP games that drive traffic at this point right? Most are F2P which don't need Gold at all..

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
making the non BC games BC.

more official controller options with rechargeable batteries

Make the xbox family plan and the xbox rewards stuff more equal worldwide... like there are lots of reward points that are unavaliable here in south america =(

and the crazy ones because I am allowed to dream:

increase controller compatibility of the Series consoles with xbox 360 controllers

proprietary FTP like program to transfer stuff to external HDs connected to the console so I can transfer movies to watch on my tv xD

-Changing Gold into GamePass Lite (4 games available monthly, with titles rotating every month of the GamePass Catalog; Cloud streaming of owned games; store discounts; multiplayer) keeping same price.

In my humble opinion this would make Gold worst. I rather have 2 games I will own forever than 4 I will loose if I stop paying.
And I say this as someone who don't see the need to stop paying gamepass in the foreseeable future

edit : i am sad ='(

Last edited:
OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
making the non BC games BC.

more official controller options with rechargeable batteries

Make the xbox family plan and the xbox rewards stuff more equal worldwide... like there are lots of reward points that are unavaliable here in south america =(

and the crazy ones because I am allowed to dream:

increase controller compatibility of the Series consoles with xbox 360 controllers

proprietary FTP like program to transfer stuff to external HDs connected to the console so I can transfer movies to watch on my tv xD

In my humble opinion this would make Gold worst. I rather have 2 games I will own forever than 4 I will loose if I stop paying.
And I say this as someone who don't see the need to stop paying gamepass in the foreseeable future
Well, now that there are no more OG Xbox and 360 games being added to GWG you can't keep the (newly added) games forever and they are tied to keeping Gold.

May 25, 2019
London
The one thing I would really like to see come to Xbox is something like Steam Remote play. I want to be able to play some of these local only games with my buddies that don't live anywhere near me anymore. I know Mixer had the option to do something along those lines with your stream.

This is a great call and really plays into the what used to be (and should be) the XBox's bread and butter - great ecosystem features and services

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
  • New controller design with gyro and less clicky
  • Announcement that bought games can now be played over the cloud

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
for real ?

When did that happen ?

damn =(
news.xbox.com

New Games with Gold for September 2022 - Xbox Wire

It’s time to announce the September Games with Gold lineup! On the Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, take up the battle to find out if Gods Will Fall and rock the post-apocalyptic freeway in Double Kick Heroes. And for our classic lineup via Backward Compatibility, design your own amusement park in...
Sept 2022 was the last one, with Thrillville and Portal 2 being the final ones

the most recent one for May 2023 even stopped mentioning the "Value" and the Gamerscore total

Oct 27, 2017
Id love for them to announce game pass via cloud coming to fire tv, Roku, Apple TV etc but that's probably not happening.

In a perfect world a new controller with dual sense parity, haptics and adaptive triggers for forza would be amazing. But seeing as they've been dropping new controller colors every 2-3 weeks I doubt it

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Id love for them to announce game pass via cloud coming to fire tv, Roku, Apple TV etc but that's probably not happening.

In a perfect world a new controller with dual sense parity, haptics and adaptive triggers for forza would be amazing. But seeing as they've been dropping new controller colors every 2-3 weeks I doubt it
A brand new controller (like an Elite Series 3 or whatever) is something I think would get its own announcement in the showcase as it's a brand new product launch. I think the Elites got their own segments at E3 right? I also do not really expect new hardware until maybe the next generation. It's interesting that the Series 2 hasn't been updated to have a share/capture button though...

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'd like an achievement revamp with more focus on my avatar. (The last bit will never happen.)
I'd like a better capturing, editing, photo suite. I want to be able to make photo albums of my games and then I could share the link when I'm done and after I've curated the sceenshots.
I'd like an Elite 3 announce that is lighter and has a dedicated capture button.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
A brand new controller (like an Elite Series 3 or whatever) is something I think would get its own announcement in the showcase as it's a brand new product launch. I think the Elites got their own segments at E3 right? I also do not really expect new hardware until maybe the next generation. It's interesting that the Series 2 hasn't been updated to have a share/capture button though...
We need an elite Series 3. It's still an Xbox One controller at its core. And after the dualsense edge, it could use an actual refresh.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
  • Announced TV apps for XCloud were coming
Hopefully they announc they're rolling out the TV apps to more Smart TVs. All I want is an Android TV app

The biggest problem here is by getting rid of Gold without replacing it with something, that kills the need for just about everyone to get Ultimate. Right now the benefit of Ultimate is its cheaper to buy Ultimate than if you were to individually subscribe to any two of the Services in Ultimate. For most people thats Gold and Game Pass Xbox.

If you get rid of that, you just have Game Pass Xbox and Game Pass PC. Not everyone plays PC games, and Cloud Streaming is a beta product that you can't buy separately that most people try once and ignore. EA Play is also cheap enough that subscribing individually is still cheaper than Ultimate.

So Microsoft would be forced to cut the price of Ultimate. But then that harms Cloud Streaming because it might not be able to break even at a lower price.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The biggest problem here is by getting rid of Gold without replacing it with something, that kills the need for just about everyone to get Ultimate. Right now the benefit of Ultimate is it's cheaper to buy Ultimate than if you were to individually subscribe to any two of the Services in Ultimate. For most people thats Gold and Game Pass Xbox.

If you get rid of that, you just have Game Pass Xbox and Game Pass PC. Not everyone plays PC games, and Cloud Streaming is a beta product that you can't buy separately that most people try once and ignore. EA Play is also cheap enough that subscribing individually is still cheaper than Ultimate.

So Microsoft would be forced to cut the price of Ultimate. But then that harms Cloud Streaming because it might not be able to break even at a lower price.

I mention this in my post ("they also wouldn't want a bunch of people who have Game Pass Ultimate for online multiplayer to drop down to the base Game Pass tier, so they'd probably have to add some value to Ultimate as well"). I don't think they'd drop the price of Ultimate, I think they'd add more to it to make it still feel like a worthy upgrade even with the differentiating factor of online multiplayer being removed.

There are lots of things they could theoretically do. Bundling in another EA Play-style service like "Ubisoft+ Classics" is an obvious one.

Roughly 23/48 games on their most played list require Gold.

That's pretty eye-opening. Yeah, so they've already removed the paywall for more than half of the games on the top 48 – and if we go by, like, user hours, I'd wager the immense popularity of the F2P games at the top like Fortnite would make it even more clear that the large majority of online multiplayer on Xbox is already not requiring the paywall.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
japanese games pls, square enix support, koei tecmo jrpg, falcom support you name it

also as poster above said xbox bc team lost odyssey, infinite undiscovery and blue dragon resolution upscale, 30 fps fine for them but its so blurry to play them now eww

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
- Widely launch Game Pass F&F to the big regions (US, UK, EU, Japan, etc)
- Announce a Xbox Cloud only tier for an appropriate price (yes, I'm aware this can hurt them in their CMA appeal, but this is a goal for them eventually, right?)
- Return of BC program/Series X/S enhancements for older games like FPS Boost (dare I say... Resolution Boost?)
- KB/M Support for Xbox Cloud
- Cloud support for owned games
- Achievement system revamp
- Give away all DLC for free for their 360 era first party games ( Fable, Forza, Gears, Halo, etc.) since 360 Marketplace seems to be on its last legs.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
That's pretty eye-opening. Yeah, so they've already removed the paywall for more than half of the games on the top 48 – and if we go by, like, user hours, I'd wager the immense popularity of the F2P games at the top like Fortnite would make it even more clear that the large majority of online multiplayer on Xbox is already not requiring the paywall.
Which is true, but many people that play f2p mp games probably also pay for Gold. People playing Apex, Fortnite, and WZ, are more likely than not also playing MW2, GTAV, and Fifa. So that paywall being dropped from f2p games, sure there were a bunch of people that no longer needed it. I would wager a significant portion still have it due to the mix of games.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
XBOX Play Anywhere support for literally every Xbox game.

Linux support for Xbox PC app.

A million dollars and a pet T. rex

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Detachable usb disc drive that could also be plugged in to a pc to play Xbox one, 360, and OG Xbox games through an emulator baked in to the Xbox PC app would be neat..

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Any signs of life for Xbox backwards compatibility would make me very happy, whether it's existing games getting enhanced or new titles getting added.

During the pre-release of the Series consoles they presented a Xbox Wire post where they talked about resolution and fps enhancements. The chosen games were Gears of War Ultimate and Fallout 4 respectively. We got FPS Boost after launch, but nothing was said about the res boost ever again. So... here's hoping.

And, I agree, more BC games (and making them digitally available as well) is a dream, as well as more classics being added to the digital libraries.

for real ?

When did that happen ?

damn =(

Yeah, we stopped owning GwG when the One released (as the One games you only keep as long as you are suscribed), and we lost all ownership when original xbox and 360 games were dropped.

So trading a "meh" selection of rentals I may never play, for four rotating titles (one could be a "day 1") would make the jump to GamePass much more attractive to users.

I tend to buy games I want and generally don't play my selection of Gold titles (tho some I have), so not much in it for me but I can see the value for others

Edit: Fun fact, ownership is true to almost all original Xbox and Xbox360 games, but when I claimed Armed & Dangerous (OG Xbox) it appeared as part of my Games with Gold, and not as an owned game. I think it still does, so maybe there are some caveats? (Just checked, yep, still marked as Gold and not as owned)

Last edited:
OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
-Not have PC Game Pass be shit.

-Not have the Windows store be shit
OIP.zgEzqhU-_FR7Uy_SbVWECAAAAA

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
PC Game Pass on Steam is really all I want now that the BC team's work seems to be done. I'm quite satisfied with their console ecosystem.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
japanese games pls, square enix support, koei tecmo jrpg, falcom support you name it

also as poster above said xbox bc team lost odyssey, infinite undiscovery and blue dragon resolution upscale, 30 fps fine for them but its so blurry to play them now eww
I like the cut of your jib

Just repairing the relationship with SE and being like "all those AA SE RPGs that skipped Xbox last year? They're coming!" would be pretty huge for me

Imagine if they announced their new SE partnership by just dropping twenty FF games on Game Pass. Which they…actually totally could, if they added the Pixel Remasters and FFVIIR to Xbox. Counting the back catalog of games like the FFXIII trilogy and FFXV, all the remasters, and other games like Type-0 and WoFF, there would be twenty FF games on Xbox, including the entire main series save the online installments (and soon, FFXVI). I can dream…

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Allowing all your owned games to be played via Cloud would be a big one.

Game Pass being added to Steam would be another one.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Four things.
  • Gamepass friends and family global announcement.
  • Owned games streamed from Xcloud.
  • Updated homescreen rollout.
  • RoG Ally integration.

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
More controllers in crazy colors!

My dream is still a form factor USB disc drive that'll act as a 360 drive.

Last edited: