Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why is that these Microsoft PR anouncements always generate these huge meltdowns?

Like, does it really affect you that a multinational billionaire organization has a game that is selling well/bad?
The thing is they aren't even saying how their products are selling while every other platform holder reveals numbers, there are people here who care about sales numbers.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I only responded with the music streaming titbit because that is the one the player referenced, not because I thought it was more apt.

On a side note, is it confirmed that is how Microsoft is approaching Game Pass on the publisher side? Eg they're paying an up front pre-negotiated licensing fee for a product to be in their GP library for a set period of time, as oppose to royalties or a fee to the publisher for each download/set playtime of a GP title whilst it's in their catalogue?
Yes, a dev confirmed on here but I'm going to have to try and track down the post now! Although the fact that games are only on the service for a limited time points very clearly in that direction too.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
So many things are subscriber based now, it's not that way nothing is it? I really don't understand why games would be different. What is so hard to grasp for people?

Also looking ahead, sales will eventually drop on gamepass games if it's really successful like I think it will be and that will be a good thing.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass is working its wonders and hopefully has lead to a good turnaround of people being able to try out the game and then perhaps getting it later on. Hopefully we can see just what success it has if Microsoft decides to talk about it during their conference next week.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
So basically 'lazy devs'. I'm sure the guys and girls at Undead Labs worked their ass off to get the game out the door by release day (a date I am also sure that Microsoft, not them, set in stone.)

Don't twist my words, I never said the devs are lazy. SoD2 was released with way too much jank and technical issues. It worries me that more than 2 million people find this acceptable.

Don't twist my words, I never said the devs are lazy. SoD2 was released with way too much jank and technical issues. It worries me that more than 2 million people find this acceptable.

I bought Skyrim at twice the price with equivalent technical issues (in my opinion), and I enjoyed it. I realize the two games are nowhere near comparable, Skyrim just popped into my mind.

I think technical issues can be overlooked if the game is fun enough, and judging by the 20 gig patch SoD2 just received I think they will be working hard to fix (some of) them.

I also played the original, so I was expecting issues with the game. I do understand what you are saying though, but I feel that nowadays if the developers hold a title back to fix all the issues, the game will just never release.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only Queen X
uWy1o.gif

christocolus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is they aren't even saying how their products are selling while every other platform holder reveals numbers, there are people here who care about sales numbers.
MS doesn't have to. People need to deal with it at this point. It's not like the users crying about sales figures would use those numbers for anything productive. This is how MS measures success and they are happy with it.. so it's really of no use to anyone who actually buys the game and is having fun with it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I didn't realise they'd released actual sell-through numbers for Sea of Thieves?
They didn't.

MS doesn't have to. People need to deal with it at this point. It's not like the users crying about sale numbers would use those numbers for anything productive. This is how MS measures success and it's really of no use to any body buying the game.
And people will keep asking for it, there are people interested to know how the market is doing, what is selling and what isn't just like how others are interested in talking about games, obscuring numbers will get them nothing other than people being cautious with what to call a success or not.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
#GamePassFreeTrialsPlusGameSharing

/s

Xbox doing good work, now get me Sunset Overdrive 2 now damn it!

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Nice one Undead Labs! It's cool to see a fairly small shop with a big ideas able to grow and enhance their concept.

27579394_144434859701594_6177463144147845120_n.jpg

I'm so far enjoying SoD2 quite a lot and I look forward to seeing the game develop going forward.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, the gaming industry is absolutely massive. There are literally hundreds of millions of people playing games.

Enthusiasts make up a very small fraction of that number.

This isn't a hard concept.

The average person who plays CoD, FIFA and Fortnite doesn't care about how much State of Decay sells. I doubt most people even know the game exists.
It's the same thing with the Internet Wrestling Community. They're the most hardcore portion of the overall fanbase, but they're also the smallest and most insignificant segment in the grand scheme of things.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's the same thing with the Internet Wrestling Community. They're the most hardcore portion of the overall fanbase, but they're also the smallest and most insignificant segment in the grand scheme of things.

As someone who works in the music industry, let me tell you, we judge our bands in 2018 solely on their CD sales. We also recognise that the users on the bands forums need to know up-to-date CD sales numbers at all times so we always release those straight to the fans because it's very important they know exactly how many CD sales there have been.

If anyone tries to tell you that streaming stats, merch and live tickets matter these days then they're lying. It's all about physical sales.

/s

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I downloaded this purely because I got a free trial of game pass. I'd of probably erred on the side of caution if I was purchasing it outright. Game pass trial is actually a blessing because a few games on there honestly aren't worth purchasing so it's best to try them out and then you can breathe a sigh of relief when you've realised the massive bullet dodged. I think a more accurate measurement of success would be how many of those 2 million are actually still playing the game? Or of those 2 million what is average play time of the user per game. Same goes for Sea of Thieves

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Sea of Thieves and SoD2 are great games. My 11 year old is addicted to SoT (her first MMO) and I put a few hours into SoD2 after the patch this weekend. It's one of very few "intense" games I really enjoy. It's also my favorite zombie game(s) in the entire genre.

I like the fact that Game Pass brings an instant online community to games. I'm not a multiplayer gamer much, but for those that love co-op, you get an instant Day 1 jump. Great for gaming/games in general.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Even *if* these all are GP players, 2 million GP owners would be pretty mindblowing.
The problem with these kind of stats, with multiple titles, is we don't know how many unique players there are, or how they split between different games.

How many of the 2m State of Decay 2 players where part of the 2m Sea of Thieves players? How many play both, how many dropped one for the other, how many new subscribers joined the service. Does the income stream from total subscribers cover what they'd expect from those titles at retail.......and so on.

The only way to discern how well GamePass (and individual titles) are performing is if we can track said stats. Microsoft could announce Sea of Thieves has topped 3m players. But the active player base could be under 200k.

If we're going to talk about numbers we have to dig into the detail. It's the detail that will determine how successful the service and titles are. I'd expect Microsoft to continue announcing launch week(s) GamePass numbers for their major releases. It just tells us very little in terms of active players and revenue streams.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But what's the point moaning about not getting numbers when you know you won't get numbers? I mean... Why? It won't change anytime soon.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I do think some forget the affect a $30 MSRP can have on a release though. The game simply has a lot going for it. On the one hand, it's more flattering to show the player base across more than one channel, but a paid game getting 2+ million players within a few weeks is an excellent result, full stop. Particularly a more fringe game like this. There's not a way this isn't impressive for SoD2's [individual game sales], [paid Game Pass subscriptions], or [both].

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
And people will keep asking for it, there are people interested to know how the market is doing, what is selling and what isn't just like how others are interested in talking about games, obscuring numbers will get them nothing other than people being cautious with what to call a success or not.

I think that hobbyist observers who are genuinely interested in analysing the market could profit from the realization that the market is changing, and so are the ways of measuring success in it. Also, the realization that companies don't have to publicly disclose any such numbers if they don't want to.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I bought Skyrim at twice the price with equivalent technical issues (in my opinion), and I enjoyed it. I realize the two games are nowhere near comparable, Skyrim just popped into my mind.

I think technical issues can be overlooked if the game is fun enough, and judging by the 20 gig patch SoD2 just received I think they will be working hard to fix (some of) them.

I also played the original, so I was expecting issues with the game. I do understand what you are saying though, but I feel that nowadays if the developers hold a title back to fix all the issues, the game will just never release.

First of all, that patch wasn't 20GB because the devs fixed so many bugs. The patch was that big because the devs decided to replace the whole f*cking game instead of patching it. But that's another discussion...

Being a dev myself, I know that bug-free software doesn't exist. But you can't deny that SoD2 had lots of very obvious/visible bugs, comparable to some early access games I've played.

But I guess I'm more a "vote with your wallet" guy than most other people. The fact that there are more good games than I have time to play them may be a reason for this.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My apologies, my comment wasn't meant for Xbox gamers in specific. SoD2 is an Xbox exclusive, but this happens for other games on other platforms as well. In my opinion, I don't think it's a good idea to support devs that release broken or unfinished games, no matter what platform.

And no, I'm not getting tired of expressing my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, feel free to hide my posts so they don't bother you :)

I doubt most people have issues with various opinions but I can only speak for myself which is I grow tired of seeing the same people acting negative in every Xbox/Windows related topic. Granted Microsoft has not done a very good job most of this generation with games but it's the same folks always quick to judge everything they do.

The thing is it's very hard now to release any game that doesn't need patching post launch, that includes hardware as well. Luckily we live in an era where it's quite easy to download and install patches on game consoles. Yes some games need more testing than others but it's probably cheaper and quicker to fix it after it's out in the public. How a developer supports a game post launch (and how fast they address them) to me is much more important than issues that arise early on.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
First of all, that patch wasn't 20GB because the devs fixed so many bugs. The patch was that big because the devs decided to replace the whole f*cking game instead of patching it. But that's another discussion...

Being a dev myself, I know that bug-free software doesn't exist. But you can't deny that SoD2 had lots of very obvious/visible bugs, comparable to some early access games I've played.

But I guess I'm more a "vote with your wallet" guy than most other people. The fact that there are more good games than I have time to play them may be a reason for this.

Did you play State of Decay 2? Based on your loud and frequent distaste for the Windows Store and Xbox I'm presuming not but had to ask. Because this idea that SOD2 is some bug filled, broken mess that should be boycotted is weird to me. Yeah it's buggy. But not a crazy amount more than loads of other games. There's nothing malicious or dangerous about the state it's in. I've personally only played for about 5 or 6 hours but I've not run into anything resembling game breaking or anything that has affected the game at all really... I'm trying to think of a bug I've had and I'm struggling. My car got stuck in a parking spot once I think? I just don't think it's worthy of this over dramatic and repeated vitriol. Unless you've played it and just think it's a bad game of course. Then fair enough.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017

Different people have different priorities. I can't fault you or anyone else for not wanting to touch a buggy game, especially one that has permadeath.

For me though, the sim layer and the diverse randomly generated characters are a major draw, so much so that I can overlook the jankiness. Few games, especially on consoles, do similar things as SoD2. I am also voting with my wallet, because I want to see more games like that.

I do have higher tolerance for bugs. Mass Effect 1 kept crashing on my PC, still a very memorable experience.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
For the record, the RIAA, Billboard, ERA (Entertainment Retailers Association) and other official tracking outlets denote every 150 streams of a song as the equivalent of a single sale (download or physical), and likewise, 1500 song streams or 10 song purchases are considered the equivalent of one album sale.

So yes, whilst music streaming numbers still count, officially they are given far less weight than direct sales counterparts, largely down to the differences in revenue equivalence.
Right, which is why I think it's important Microsoft said players and not sales. Some seemed to be dismissing it outright and that just seems like archaic thinking. Game Pass just seems completely pro-consumer and the only reason I'd think to dismiss it or dislike is it platform tribalism (I don't think you're doing this at all, you know I like you).

Given their Microsoft Studio head's comments recently about the direction they are taking their studios, they clearly see GaaS and keeping people in their Game Pass and XBL Gold memberships as important if not more than raw sales.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Revenue is good. Revenue helps companies make a sequel. If you have a lot of revenue generated by a title and you liked it, the odds are good that you will have a sequel. Which is a good thing.

That's why I care.
As long as the game is making revenue why do you need to know if God of War outsold Gears of War etc? Is there a value that's attributed to that?

Like review scores, sales figures add nothing to vibrant discussions. In my opinion ofc

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Did you play State of Decay 2? Based on your loud and frequent distaste for the Windows Store and Xbox I'm presuming not but had to ask. Because this idea that SOD2 is some bug filled, broken mess that should be boycotted is weird to me. Yeah it's buggy. But not a crazy amount more than loads of other games. There's nothing malicious or dangerous about the state it's in. I've personally only played for about 5 or 6 hours but I've not run into anything resembling game breaking or anything that has affected the game at all really... I'm trying to think of a bug I've had and I'm struggling. My car got stuck in a parking spot once I think? I just don't think it's worthy of this over dramatic and repeated vitriol. Unless you've played it and just think it's a bad game of course. Then fair enough. But even if you have and you do hate it... there are a ton of games with bugs out there. It's 2018. What has State of Decay 2 done to hurt you?

I obviously didn't buy it in the WinStore, but yes, I've played SoD2 on my friends (original) X1 and I've watched several streams and reviews. Besides crashes and performance issues, I've witnessed hilarious bugs like moonwalking zombies in the air, upside-down doors, floating objects etc.

Except for some early access games I've played (or seen playing), I can't remember seeing so many obvious bugs in a game. That's the only reason why I find it strange to see so many people accept it.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Granted, it's a large percentage (most) of the size of the original game, but 20GB is smaller than the total game....before the patch. I believer the original install was between 24-30GB.

There are few games as good as SoD2 is in the survival/zombie genre. I've been playing it instead of anything else across all my hardware.

My posts would be no different if any other company would release games in such an unfinished state.

The game runs just fine. I've yet to hit a single bug. The first game was janky too, and awesome despite it. I'll chime in when I have a glitch/problem with it though.

I obviously didn't buy it in the WinStore, but yes, I've played SoD2 on my friends (original) X1 and I've watched several streams and reviews.

I like to personally put a lot of time into games before making comments like yours. People report all their problems, so you'll find plenty online. They don't do a write up or hit the forums to exclaim how "not buggy" a game is.

I'm playing it on X1X. I could play it on my PC, but have yet to download it there. No idea if it's better there.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My posts would be no different if any other company would release games in such an unfinished state.

Many gamers and media complained about MS this generation, because MS gave them plenty of reasons to do so. But if MS does things right, like X1X and BC with improvements for example, I've praised them for this as well. The same goes for Sony, Nintendo, Valve and other gaming related companies.

I obviously didn't buy it in the WinStore, but yes, I've played SoD2 on my friends (original) X1 and I've watched several streams and reviews. Besides crashes and performance issues, I've witnessed hilarious bugs like moonwalking zombies in the air, upside-down doors, floating objects etc.

Except for some early access games I've played (or seen playing), I can't remember seeing so many obvious bugs in a game. The fact that UL never bothered to fix similar bugs in SoD1 makes it even worse for me I guess.

I've only put in about 2 hours on my pc and have yet had a problem. They just updated the game too so I'm not sure if that fixed the major bugs or not. One issue I was having is trying to download and install the game, if you only download part of the game and decide to do it later there's an error. I did it twice because I turn my computer off at night and it wasn't finished downloading. The third time was the charm because I didn't pause or interrupt it and it installed just fine.

Yeah I only post on forums because I think nobody reads it. Good thinking!

Someone is just highlighting your patterns so you either acknowledge it or you don't. This is what I was saying before but I guess you see things differently.

Did you play State of Decay 2? Based on your loud and frequent distaste for the Windows Store and Xbox I'm presuming not but had to ask. Because this idea that SOD2 is some bug filled, broken mess that should be boycotted is weird to me. Yeah it's buggy. But not a crazy amount more than loads of other games. There's nothing malicious or dangerous about the state it's in. I've personally only played for about 5 or 6 hours but I've not run into anything resembling game breaking or anything that has affected the game at all really... I'm trying to think of a bug I've had and I'm struggling. My car got stuck in a parking spot once I think? I just don't think it's worthy of this over dramatic and repeated vitriol. Unless you've played it and just think it's a bad game of course. Then fair enough.

I've honestly only encountered 1 bug that was an issue and it wasn't game breaking. It was a multiplayer bug with driving, I would glitch all over when driving with my friends so I took my own vehicle and everything was fine. It only happened once, it might have just been a network issue at the time.

The other bugs are completely tolerable and some have already been fixed (the flashlight thing was annoying, but again tolerable).

I don't deny the bugs by any means, I think my reply actually acknowledged that there are issues with the game.

I purchased PUBG for my One X in December and I had a miserable time playing it. I got a refund for it after two matches, it was just awful. The gunplay was bad, the driving and general the movement was a mess. Trying to line up another player to kill them was so frustrating because of the shape the game was in. That game to me represents early access.

State of Decay 2 is very playable, even with bugs. I have been able to play the game the way it should be played thus far. It's clunky, it's janky and it's buggy, but I don't think its comparable to an early access game. It's also what I expected from the studio that brought me State of Decay 1.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Engagement is absolutely the most important factor right now. Whenever there is potential for titanic shifts in a fast growing market, engagement determines what piece of that future pie you'll keep.

The short term $30 individual sales are nothing compared to the importance of getting people to try out their service. Millions of dollars in short term revenue is piddly when compared to potentially a multi-billion dollar service with no boundaries in a few years.