• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One function the map could use is a toggle for UM gravestones with the name and level of the monster listed. Took down Rotbart, and I'd like another whack at him, but have no idea where he spawns. Also, H2H and quest indicators should list required party members when hovered over on the map.
Got my first rare blade in ch4 at about lvl27. It's the polar bear thing for Nia...which is a little same because she already has a healer. I think I'm gonna wait until I get more party members before opening up more cores.
You want to be stacking classes, not running JOATs, especially early on.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
just finished Chapter 3

HOLY CHAPTER-ENDING HYPE! Was sort of wondering how they'd end the first act (assuming three-chapter "acts") given how strong the first two chapters were and they did not disappoint. Was surprised to find that I had actually grown fond of Vandham in such a short time. Such a great character. Hope there's some way to bring him back down the road, but don't spoil that for me. Just really blown away by how strong the first three chapters of the game have been. Pretty outstanding, and way, way, way better than some reviews suggested. Makes all the FF XV hype look silly, I don't care how poor some of the character designs are.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't that impressed by the game in the first chapter too much by halfway through Chapter 5 and I'm loving it. Very surprised that 4th (is that what we're referring to them by?) joined so early. Figured it'd be one of those "literally the last character you recruit before the end game and don't get to spend too much time with."

Oct 26, 2017
just finished Chapter 3

HOLY CHAPTER-ENDING HYPE! Was sort of wondering how they'd end the first act (assuming three-chapter "acts") given how strong the first two chapters were and they did not disappoint. Was surprised to find that I had actually grown fond of Vandham in such a short time. Such a great character. Hope there's some way to bring him back down the road, but don't spoil that for me. Just really blown away by how strong the first three chapters of the game have been. Pretty outstanding, and way, way, way better than some reviews suggested. Makes all the FF XV hype look silly, I don't care how poor some of the character designs are.

I just finished Chapter 3 tonight too! Holy shit at the cut scenes to end the chapter! And I totally agree with everything you wrote in your spoiler section. And the Chapter 4 starts off with an awesome amount of story and more amazing cut scenes! I can wait to dig into more the story!

And now I just unlocked Merc Groups. Anyone know how the timer works? Does it use the Switch's internal clock? So if if I put my Switch to sleep for 40 minutes, I can turn it back on and find the Merc Group mission complete?

... Or do I have the game at least be idling for the time to be completed?

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Chapter 3 tonight too! Holy shit at the cut scenes to end the chapter! And I totally agree with everything you wrote in your spoiler section. And the Chapter 4 starts off with an awesome amount of story and more amazing cut scenes! I can wait to dig into more the story!

And now I just unlocked Merc Groups. Anyone know how the timer works? Does it use the Switch's internal clock? So if if I put my Switch to sleep for 40 minutes, I can turn it back on and find the Merc Group mission complete?

... Or do I have the game at least be idling for the time to be completed?
Yeah, game should be at least idling for merc missions to work unfortunately

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Got my first rare blade in ch4 at about lvl27. It's the polar bear thing for Nia...which is a little same because she already has a healer. I think I'm gonna wait until I get more party members before opening up more cores.

Well, you'd want to have a full healer party on Nia for the class bonus anyway. Ursula is great on Nia as well, and gives her access to a launch art.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game -- what are everyone's favorite Blade specific quests? My rare blades are:

Godfrey
Wulfric
Perceval (doing his now)
Agate
Gorg
Boreas
Dagas
Perun
Kora
Azami (obsessed with her)
Ursula
Adenine
Electra
Dahlia (finished hers)

And

Roc
Aegaeon
How did you trigger Godfrey's questline? I've got no clue.

Datrael

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
That setup is certainly fine; my initial clears of all the superbosses were with a pretty similar setup. The only thing I noticed is that you listed Pyra specifically; in case you aren't, you should almost exclusively be using Mythra.

I am, did not want to spoil, but I see she is openly named here so yeah. I only change to pyra for chains.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TIL that Tiger Tiger has a hidden bonus by not killing any monsters. It drives your score to more than 170k.

Must try this.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Running through the post-game now.

It's been a long time since a game bewildered me to such extent. At times it feels like the greatest thing since sliced bread, and at times I just wanna throw the game to the trash. It's like the game has insane highs and even more insane lows.

I'm convinced the game could have used at least another 6 months of dev time, if not a full year. It's not just a matter of polish (which it obviously lacks), the whole frame is wobbly. And it really feels way more like it's half-baked than the result of incompetence. They just had to cut short and it shows. And it sucks.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Do the frame rate issues kick in at a certain point? Because apart from a couple of seconds where it stutters (like almost any game) I haven't noticed any at all, including in hand held mode. I've been happily running around the giant map in chapter 3 without any issues at all on the train.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Do the frame rate issues kick in at a certain point? Because apart from a couple of seconds where it stutters (like almost any game) I haven't noticed any at all, including in hand held mode. I've been happily running around the giant map in chapter 3 without any issues at all on the train.
In my experience they mostly concern the Gormott province (both the city and some areas of the map). There is also a later city that exhibit this but otherwise it's fairly solid. Not perfect by any means but not really distracting. It's kinda weird it mostly concerns what is basically the very first area you visit. Not that I'm complaining, it just feels off.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. Made me remember the feeling I had when watching Turn A Gundam. Game sure had a lot of heart and I absolutely loved it for that.

Oct 27, 2017
Jules de Jongh is so good. She was Faith in Mirror's Edge too.

Yeah, she's amazing.

In my experience they mostly concern the Gormott province (both the city and some areas of the map). There is also a later city that exhibit this but otherwise it's fairly solid. Not perfect by any means but not really distracting. It's kinda weird it mostly concerns what is basically the very first area you visit. Not that I'm complaining, it just feels off.

Yep, Torigoth is the biggest culprit for frame rate issues, especially the entrance area where all the merchants are. The game also has severe LOD pop-in at times...I've often had areas load with no textures whatsoever and it looks incredibly odd.

Regarding your earlier point, the game is a seriously mixed bag on a technical level. On the one hand, the art is seriously breathtaking at times (Uraya especially) and the game is running some lovely tech, but it's hard to shake the feeling the game is being held back by the Switch's hardware. The game's resolution and frame rate issues are really disappointing. More months of optimisation could have helped, but I don't think the Switch has the grunt to really do this game justice.

Last edited:

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These Solo-Fights are a nightmare. I can't get past Morag due to how much damage she's dealing.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe they
gave Rex a cool new outfit and he STILL has the stupid leotard/shorts/assless chaps! You had one job!

Also a question about Poppi:
So QTpi is an Attacker. Should I leave her that way or make her a tank?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
She works great as a healer (and still do insane damage). It seems the game is built as the idea that both tanks and DPS should have a healer blade to either help in keeping aggro or help in not getting it.

Regarding your earlier point, the game is a seriously mixed bag on a technical level. On the one hand, the art is seriously breathtaking at times (Uraya especially) and the game is running some lovely tech, but it's hard to shake the feeling the game is being held back by the Switch's hardware. The game's resolution and frame rate issues are really disappointing. More months of optimisation could have helped, but I don't think the Switch has the grunt to really do this game justice.
While I agree that the game is messy on a technical level, I doubt it's the hardware fault. It's significantly more powerful than the WiiU and the game is nowhere near the scale on XenoCross (which ran exceptionally well on the WiiU). They either lacked time or maybe just maybe lacked some proper motivation for whatever reason. It could very well be that this game was developed in parallel of another more ambitious project (such as a sequel to Xenoblade Cross, for example), and got released now because Nintendo needed a game in its portfolio for December.

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Right now I feel like Xenoblade 1 is the better game now that I'm more or less halfway (near end of chapter 5) but I don't think I can judge just yet. I love the concepts XB2 has but I feel like Xb1 definitely has the better characters atm. Only
Mythra, Pyra and Morag are standing out for me right now. I feel like Rex is just that guy that thinks everything is peaceful and should be. He does not really have any major decisions.

The villains are pretty good so far.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe they
gave Rex a cool new outfit and he STILL has the stupid leotard/shorts/assless chaps! You had one job!

I'd leave her as an attacker. Give her a chip with high critical hit rate, then give her the Critical Restore mod and other damage mods like Pinpoint Weakness, Vendetta, and Affinity Max Attack.

Right now I feel like Xenoblade 1 is the better game now that I'm more or less halfway (near end of chapter 5) but I don't think I can judge just yet. I love the concepts XB2 has but I feel like Xb1 definitely has the better characters atm. Only
Mythra, Pyra and Morag are standing out for me right now. I feel like Rex is just that guy that thinks everything is peaceful and should be. He does not really have any major decisions.

The villains are pretty good so far.

You've only recently gotten most of the characters, so that's understandable; there's still quite a bit of interaction and development to go. The cast definitely ended up rivaling Xenoblade 1's for me.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Finally Mercenary lvl 5!! I really lilked the sidemission for this, added some nice backstory to
Uraya

I'm done with almost all the missions up to the start of chapter 9. Do we get more missions after that and postgame? Or only superbosses?
I think i'll try to complete the afinity chart of all my rare blades before continuing. 135hs and counting!

Game is still incredible! Finally found how to enter the tree in gormott that you see from the spider cave and has a chest (the reward wasnt that hot though).

Triangulate

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think common blades with Luck mods are more rare than the rare blades themselves.

I've got Nia up around 750 luck and after probably 100 cores last night I got three rare blades and one common with a Luck mod. I'll probably get the last three rares before I find a bitball/claws/spear common with Luck.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guysssssss. Helpppp. I just reached max level for mercenary level 3 going to 4 now. But i don't have the field skill properly yet. Do i need to grind them or it is not important?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I plan to roll with Rex, Nia, and #4 when I finish getting to her. Are there specific rare blades that best fit each of those three? I'd prefer to use #5 over Nia but I need those heals!

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
If I make a Xenoblade 2 picture thread, what do you all think about spoilers? I'm not sure whether there should just be a warning for spoilers in the title or if images should be put in spoiler tabs (you can do that now right?).

Posting a picture of 4th in your party is a little bit different in spoilers from posting a picture of

Green haired Aegis. While I'm not at the end game, I already saw a picture of her.

Should the former be unspoilered and the latter be spoilered, or should all of it?

As far as the pictures go, I'd say use best judgement. In keeping with no nudity, there shouldn't be anything posted that hasn't made it into Overwatch or Nier Automata fan art threads. Pyra and Mythra have big chests, which are emphasized in the art work.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
If I make a Xenoblade 2 picture thread, what do you all think about spoilers? I'm not sure whether there should just be a warning for spoilers in the title or if images should be put in spoiler tabs (you can do that now right?).

Posting a picture of 4th in your party is a little bit different in spoilers from posting a picture of

Green haired Aegis. While I'm not at the end game, I already saw a picture of her.

Should the former be unspoilered and the latter be spoilered, or should all of it?

As far as the pictures go, I'd say use best judgement. In keeping with no nudity, there shouldn't be anything posted that hasn't made it into Overwatch or Nier Automata fan art threads. Pyra and Mythra have big chests, which are emphasized in the art work.

The 5 playable party members should be posted without spoilers, there are so many of 4, it'd annoying otherwise

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
on one hand, Ursula is the most cheat enabling Healer in the game
on the other, good luck unlocking Tier 5 Affinity
I haven't been able to trigger her tier 1, let me guess
its triggered by the baby Aruba I killed by accident

Oh well, for any rare blade level up mistakes there's always new game +

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what asshole decided to mix this quest with the Lv. 97 Drivers in post-game Old Factory and then also disable skip travel to the Old Factory, and why do they work in this industry

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
what asshole decided to mix this quest with the Lv. 97 Drivers in post-game Old Factory and then also disable skip travel to the Old Factory, and why do they work in this industry

Thanks I did it before completing the game then! Yeah I didnt like that they disabled the skip travel there.

Guysssssss. Helpppp. I just reached max level for mercenary level 3 going to 4 now. But i don't have the field skill properly yet. Do i need to grind them or it is not important?

From 3 to 4 lvl you get another mercenary mission (to a max of 3 at the same time). You will get the field skills getting common blades and sending them in missions.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks I did it before completing the game then! Yeah I didnt like that they disabled the skip travel there.

From 3 to 4 lvl you get another mercenary mission (to a max of 3 at the same time). You will get the field skills getting common blades and sending them in missions.

I am talking about the quest that allow me to grow to level 4 lol. U know, the quest asked for skills like keen eye and focus. What will i receive if i hit all those requirement? Or do i miss something if i failed to do all those field skills?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nearly 1 and half months later, the credits finally rolled.

Wow. Just, wow. God, that was a satisfying ending. I need some time to decompress and sort out my thoughts about Xenoblade 2 as a whole, but I can assuredly say that I loved it all. Sure, there are plenty of warts and flaws and all, but in spite of all that, Xenoblade 2 was a heartfelt love letter to JRPGs both classic and contemporary. This is the word I'm probably going to use a lot from now on, but there's no better way to describe it:

Xenoblade 2 is a game with a lot of heart. In its passionate characters, in its heroic, idealistic story, and in its wonderfully complex and messy design. This is the first JRPG I've played in a long, long time that evokes the same wonder and magic I felt when I first started playing these games, and it kept that same fiery passion burning throughout. Bravo Monolithsoft, and bravo Takahashi. Xenoblade 2 has cemented a place in this gamer's heart.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I am talking about the quest that allow me to grow to level 4 lol. U know, the quest asked for skills like keen eye and focus. What will i receive if i hit all those requirement? Or do i miss something if i failed to do all those field skills?
I think it changes the dialogue, i hit 2 of the 3 and failed one, but passed the quest anyawy. So I'm not really sure. In other quests passing the skill check made the mission shorter (like the tracking ones).

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate in this ? I am in chapter 4 right now, What's stacking classes and whats JOATs ?
https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/642...the-jobs-and-roles-available-to-party-members

For the most part, its better to stick to Master Fighter/Healer/Defender if you can to ensure that you have the classes you need available throughout the fight with the correct bonuses - your tank is useless if they're not keeping aggro off of the attacker and healer, and your healer can't heal if they don't have a healer Blade active.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
These meh meh mehs are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them.

Hahaha, this is so true. I found Tora's meh meh meh's so annoying at first but now I love them so much and find them hilarious. This game has its hooks in me so hard.

There are a couple things I'm not entirely clear on and I have been neglecting. I'm only in Chapter 3 presently but:

- I never use pouch items as I'm not really sure about how they work. Should I be using them frequently?
- I have only bonded a couple blades so far, but since I don't have my 3rd blade spot opened yet until the story progresses a bit, should I be bonding the blades as soon as I get core crystals? Ive been hoarding them. Should I instead bond them only with certain stats raised like luck or anything like that? Im not sure how much the stats impact the blade that comes out. Same with the boosters, I have no idea what those do when it comes to bonding the blades.
- Informants. Am I missing something by not buying these? I check to see if there are any concepts I don't know about, but I usually pass over the ones I feel I know about already since these only give 1 or 2 lines of description. I there any benefit I'm missing here?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Hahaha, this is so true. I found Tora's meh meh meh's so annoying at first but now I love them so much and find them hilarious. This game has its hooks in me so hard.

There are a couple things I'm not entirely clear on and I have been neglecting. I'm only in Chapter 3 presently but:

- I never use pouch items as I'm not really sure about how they work. Should I be using them frequently?
- I have only bonded a couple blades so far, but since I don't have my 3rd blade spot opened yet until the story progresses a bit, should I be bonding the blades as soon as I get core crystals? Ive been hoarding them. Should I instead bond them only with certain stats raised like luck or anything like that? Im not sure how much the stats impact the blade that comes out. Same with the boosters, I have no idea what those do when it comes to bonding the blades.
- Informants. Am I missing something by not buying these? I check to see if there are any concepts I don't know about, but I usually pass over the ones I feel I know about already since these only give 1 or 2 lines of description. I there any benefit I'm missing here?

• Pouch Items: If you are not using them, you're doing something wrong /blunt. Some of these items can have a tremendous effect on battles, especially when you unlock the second pouch and stack bonuses. You can't go wrong with items which regenerate your arts (almost all desserts do this), as it will allow you and your party members to use arts much more often in battle, meaning more DPS and an easier time charging special arts for combos (ie. quicker battles overall) and healing when needed.
  • Core Crystals: Depends. You can safely open the common ones, you will want to unlock a few common blades for some skill checks. Also, you can still get rare ones from common cores. Really, I wouldn't wait too much: just use them when you get them. Do keep in mind that the number of rare blades is finite (and not that huge from the gacha), and that they are other party members that will join you that will need rare blades, so don't overdo it. If you manage to get 2 rare blades for Rex and Nia, it is fine (unless you get tank blades for Nia: you don't want to equip any of those on her, period). Also, for reasons, do not under any circumstances pull like crazy with Rex. Really, if you want to fish for rare blades, do it with other characters. As for the effects of Luck, the jury is still out on how exactly it factors in getting rare blades. Supposedly, it helps to get rare ones. Others think it just make it less likely to pull low rarity common ones. Boosters supposedly enhances the chances to get blades from a specific element. But yeah, I don't think the code has been cracked yet.
  • Informants: Worst tutorial option of the game. You don't miss anything... except for two specific ones, which are needed in order to get some rare blades (3 in total). So, yeah, you will need to buy these two.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
I've gotten to the point where I just sell off my common core crystals and just hope all these rare ones get me something.

I'm neck deep in chapter 8. 8k away from rank 5 merc lv. Dunno if I'll grind that out before I finish the game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Ursula is it worth using an Overdrive to move her to Nia(who already has Boreas and Floren). Pulled her for Morag and have her equipped until I find a 3rd Tank.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The unexpected swearing gets me every time. I think the only thing I haven't heard yet is an F bomb.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
So how do the special drops work in level 5 of Tiger Tiger? I'm trying to get the master role cpus for Poppi as I grind ether crystals, but I haven't gotten anything other than one light element core. Do the master role cpus appear on easy mode?

EDIT: I've since gotten another Light core...

Last edited: