• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah thats it. There was a separate thread created just to discus it lol.

Been reading up on the combat and stuff this morning and I have a few extra questions:

[ numbering added ]
1) Is there a guide that shows which area's monsters do which elemental damage type?

2) When do you unlock the third slot for Blades?

3) Is there a Basic/Bread and Butter combo for the beginning of the game that deals Break/Topple/Launch? Still in the early part of Chapter 3 and still havent figured out which attacks are dealing Break, Topple, or Launch yet.

4) Im watching a video now about the combat and this guy has discriptions under his arts, like Grenade Launcher then it says under (AOE/ Blowdown) How do I turn that on?

1) I don't understand your question. Are you asking about elemental damage done to your party?

2) Start of your next chapter

3) Did you get the cutscene about Rex's Topple? At that point you should have the full cycle.
You can see if an attack does topple (also related to the next question) when you browse a Driver's weapon's arts. You can also swap in the 4th Art using the commands at the bottom of the screen.

4) Clicking the left stick will cycle the art & blade labels on or off.
This is listed under the controls help screens you can bring up in the field.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, figured it out while traveling to Umon's Shipyard in the beginning of Chapter 3. Think I finally understand the combat lol.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. Now I can finally look into my Special edition artbook.
Also look forward to read more about the story
and the connections to the first game.

most surprising thing about the game was probably how much I enjoyed the combat system once it clicked. Such a huge step up from the first Xenoblade.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even care [that much] about landing Kos-Mos anymore. Getting Percy this early was enough. What an awesome Blade.

Last edited:

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I am thiiiiis close to picking this game up, but the one thing I'm hung up on is the combat. I was not really a fan of the combat in XC1 or X. What is different or improved?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Once I finished this game, I found I had almost no desire to play the post game like I did in XCX, since in that game, so much opens up once you finally finished it. I spent maybe 80-100 hours of grinding to become strong enough to one shot everything and it was a fantastic experience. After pulling my last blade yesterday, I've now been overtaken by the same bug that got me in XCX and now I can't put this game down lol

I'm now trying to create the optimal build for each character and man, it is a daunting task. Maybe more so than getting some of the OP mechs in XCX and now I have fallen back in love with this game.

That said, any guides out there showing what some builds are for each character? I just hit 150 hours and I've yet to use character 4 and 5 and I'm itching to, but I have such a rhythm with Rex, Nia and Poppi, I find it hard to switch either of them out for anyone else.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I am thiiiiis close to picking this game up, but the one thing I'm hung up on is the combat. I was not really a fan of the combat in XC1 or X. What is different or improved?
I hated the combat in XC1 and kind of enjoyed it in XCX and this game is leaps and bounds better than both of them. With the game moving to mapping your moves to the face buttons, you have less overall moves at your disposal at a given time but you also have more options. The combat UI also looks like an unmitigated mess at first, but once you learn how to read it, everything makes sense.

It takes a while to get absolutely comfortable with the combat system, mostly in part because they dole out your options at such a slow pace (the tutorial is presented poorly, but I honestly can't think of a better way) and you're also at the mercy of RNGesus, so your play style will be pretty different depending on what blade you pull, but once everything clicks, and I promise it will, this is perhaps one of the most intricate and fleshed out combat system in any JRPG to date.

Hell, It might just be my favorite.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I hated the combat in XC1 and kind of enjoyed it in XCX and this game is leaps and bounds better than both of them. With the game moving to mapping you moves to the face buttons, you have less moves at your disposal but with more options. The combat UI looks like an unmitigated mess at first, but once you learn the system, everything makes sense.

It takes a while to get absolutely comfortable with the combat system, mostly in part because they dole out your options at such a slow pace (the tutorial is dished out at a snails pace, but they kind of needed to) and you're also at the mercy of RNGesus, so your play style will be pretty different depending on what blade you pull, but once everything clicks, and I promise it will, this is perhaps one of the most intricate and fleshed out combat system in any JRPG to date.

Hell, It might just be my favorite.

This is good. I'm OK with the drawn out tutorial because I'm not sure I ever fully grasped all the mechanics in X or 1 and it felt like fights were very long and dull, probably due to me not fully knowing what I was doing.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
This is good. I'm OK with the drawn out tutorial because I'm not sure I ever fully grasped all the mechanics in X or 1 and it felt like fights were very long and dull, probably due to me not fully knowing what I was doing.
I know exactly what you mean. People talk about how awesome the combat system was in XC1 and because I never quite learned it, I dreaded getting into combat even when I was overleveled.

I'm 150+ hours in XC2 and I'm still having a blast with the combat system. Hell, I even try to challenge myself by fighting mobs sometimes 20 levels higher than myself. That's how much I enjoy this system.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'll interject with a word of warning and say that while the combat system in XC2 is awesome, it is an evolution of the ideas seen in the original game (haven't played X).

It's more complex and beefier all round, but it's not totally different.

For me, it's a much better combat system supported by an awesome soundtrack, cool story, quirky characters and cool worlds to explore, BUT don't go in thinking it's a completely animal...

... I mean it is, but it's similar enough that you should recognise that before you jump in.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just got to Chapter 5. I like this game A LOT. I was actually apprehensive at first, and unsure if I liked the character designs and such. But they've grown on me a lot. This game is above X for me right now. We'll see if it finishes strong.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I know exactly what you mean. People talk about how awesome the combat system was in XC1 and because I never quite learned it, I dreaded getting into combat even when I was overleveled.

I'm 150+ hours in XC2 and I'm still having a blast with the combat system. Hell, I even try to challenge myself by fighting mobs sometimes 20 levels higher than myself. That's how much I enjoy this system.

I'll interject with a word of warning and say that while the combat system in XC2 is awesome, it is an evolution of the ideas seen in the original game (haven't played X).

It's more complex and beefier all round, but it's not totally different.

For me, it's a much better combat system supported by an awesome soundtrack, cool story, quirky characters and cool worlds to explore, BUT don't go in thinking it's a completely animal...

... I mean it is, but it's similar enough that you should recognise that before you jump in.

All good to know thanks. Just picked it up, let's see how it goes!

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Of course Zenobia, the rng blade I actually plan on using, is the last RNG Blade I need... I've got a good set-up for grinding crystals now though so it hopefully won't be too long.

EDIT: Got Zenobia after 5 Legendary Crystals...

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Of course Zenobia, the rng blade I actually plan on using, is the last RNG Blade I need... I've got a good set-up for grinding crystals now though so it hopefully won't be too long.

EDIT: Got Zenobia after 5 Legendary Crystals...
Still no you-know-who after 60 lengendaries, 300 rares, and 500 common. Luck is 800.

Fun game is fun.

Edit: Of course I unlocked her moments after posting this. Thanks Era!

Last edited:

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm a bit overleveled with my characters being around lvl50 after just reaching Fonsett.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The thing that made XC1's battle system so good was the characters and their play styles. Like Melia on surface might seem lame but it's really cool micromanaging her elementals and their buffs and choosing to attack to get her to Elemental Burst state or when you get to it choosing to risk losing it to use her Talent Art. When you figure out how these characters work and make teams with different strategies it becomes alot more engaging. With that said XC2 definitely outclasses XC1 in terms of it's core battle system,

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that made XC1's battle system so good was the characters and their play styles. Like Melia on surface might seem lame but it's really cool micromanaging her elementals and their buffs and choosing to attack to get her to Elemental Burst state or when you get to it choosing to risk losing it to use her Talent Art. When you figure out how these characters work and make teams with different strategies it becomes alot more engaging. With that said XC2 definitely outclasses XC1 in terms of it's core battle system,
Oh, I've seen how broken XC1's combat system can be, I just never happen to learn it, which is totally a failing on my part. Also, combat never felt enjoyable for me to try and learn it.

I do wish XC2 had better character diversity, though. Rex and #5 fills pretty much the same role, and honestly, by the end of the game, it's almost silly not to use Rex given how good he is and how late you get #5. Tora and #4 also has the same problem. So XC1 was better in the regard.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It is, is an item called Overclocking Bangle, on Tantal from when you start (the port) right when you enter the snow there are some bunny enemies, they drop it on Pink and Gold tiers.
Thanks you very much! I actually have two of them in my inventory but somehow missed their item descriptions. I'm gonna experiment and see how they work out.

I have to echo the thoughts of many in this thread and say that I love the battle system in this game. One of the most satisfying battle systems in a long time. Takes a while to fully unlock, and even more time to get your head around the systems in play, but when it all clicks it's top drawer.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Oh, I've seen how broken XC1's combat system can be, I just never happen to learn it, which is totally a failing on my part. Also, combat never felt enjoyable for me to try and learn it.

I do wish XC2 had better character diversity, though. Rex and #5 fills pretty much the same role, and honestly, by the end of the game, it's almost silly not to use Rex given how good he is and how late you get #5. Tora and #4 also has the same problem. So XC1 was better in the regard.
While I agree XC2's characters are lacking in variety, I do think it does a better job making every character viable. Sure Rex is super strong and Tora, if you put in the effort, can become a monster, but you can still fight the superbosses using Nia, Character #4, and Character #5 if you want to. In XC1, I felt that I couldn't use Reyn and Character #3 at all against the superbosses, especially the Avalanche Abaasy.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to awaken blades, I got 2 of the same looking blades but just with 2 different elements. Does that happen often? I used a common core and 2 different stats.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to awaken blades, I got 2 of the same looking blades but just with 2 different elements. Does that happen often? I used a common core and 2 different stats.

Those are common blades. As their name implies, they are very common and will be what you get from the vast, vast, vast majority of core crystals you open. There are basically four general "types" of common blades (male, female, brute, and beast). They can have some variation (mostly headgear) but for the most part they all look the same.

Everything about common blades is entirely randomized. The only things you have any control over at all is the overall quality of the blade and element but even those are still very random. High idea stats and better/rarer core crystals are more likely to produce a better common blade (more crowns, up to 4) and the elements represented by the highest idea stat are slightly more likely to be selected than the others.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Hah, got really lucky today. I discovered i had three common blades with the Forestry skill, so between them, Vess, and a certain someone and a bit of shuffling around to Rex, I was able to get through. Now i'm at the phase where you charge the machine, so close!

Also got my first Full Burst today.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Ack, in ch5 and I spend 15 something minute battling this lvl 40 dude that's right before facing
Zeke
for the last (?) time and one of my last art spells knocks him off the goddamn bridge. No loot and it didn't look like I got any xp for it. Just deflating.

Anyways. Game is JRPG to the max but I can't not admit that the main theme never fails to put a smile on my face when one of the end chapter cutscenes happens.

For general purposes though, did you guys end up going with Pyra or
Mythra
? The second one seems like the one to focus on if I want that big damage. Also, even though his meh meh mehs are annoying I've grown to like Tora and wanted to keep him in the party. However, the Poppi thing seems a bit confusing (and it has the game) and I really haven't messed with it. Seems easier to go with
Morag
? Is she pretty good?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mythra is outright better than Pyra, gameplay-wise. There's no contest. The gulf between them isn't that big early on but by the end of the game it's pretty massive.

All the drivers have plenty of capacity to be good at what they do. I dumped Tora at the first opportunity and never regretted it.

Last edited:

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
What's the best way to level up? I'm level 80 and unsure what to do. I tried fightings dinos in Temperentia but the AoE tail swipes one shot my non tank.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Are some cutscenes in this game not really supposed to have sound effects?
I'm early in the game and it's really distracting how you'll only hear voices, music, and a few odd sounds here and there in a lot of cutscenes. A lot of them feel unfinished because of this, even after messing with the sound settings, unless I missed something.

Yeah, just played some more and now these cutscenes do have sound effects so I doubt it's the volume. Wonder why they're so inconsistent.

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm slowly inching to completing all the Blade's sidequest. Just did Perun's. The ones left are Praxis/Theory, Herald, Zenobia...

...and Ursula because I got her as the second to last Blade. I have accepted that I will never finish her Quest.

After that, I'm going to complete the last Sidequest (Mercenary Rank 5 quest) then finish the game, in English, one last time before resting it until a substantial enough DLC is released.

Almost 200 hours into the game. It's the only game I played in December. Will feel really sad after all this, heh.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Why do some Torna characters have a different artstyle? Patroka looks like she was lifted straight out of X

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
Almost at the end of chapter 8. Did not expect to enjoy this game as much as I have. I was one of the ones who thought there was no way the game was going to come out in 2017 and if it did then its development was most likely rushed like FFXV, but boy have I been proven wrong.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I wish an entire cast by Nomura.
I find the concept of multiple artists interesting but I definitely prefer homogeneity.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I wish an entire cast by Nomura.
I find the concept of multiple artists interesting but I definitely prefer homogeneity.
As much as I'd like to see Nomura as the main character designer for a future Monolith Soft RPG, I'm not sure how likely it would be considering all of the other projects on his plate at the moment. Even though Nomura has his own signature style, Malos actually reminds me a fair bit of XC1's character design (particularly Reyn).

xenoblade-novelisation-004-uh-oh.png
latest

Last edited: