Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
consul J on hard really be working me over. spending a lot of time messing around in the pre-fight tweaking composition. three healers feels pretty necessary for this fight with all the burst aoe but it's kinda hard to figure out what to drop. got them within 10% on my second attempt though so it feels manageable. just need to power through i think.

also ouroboros orders feel incredible and mechanically really do feel like the last missing piece to make all the decision making in chain attacks really interesting. there are so many plates to balance and the additional quirk of selecting which order to go for besides the immediate effect makes for pretty fun routes.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I just got Triton and that was such a blast.

The whole questline was hilarious and such a fun time. Triton is such a great foil to the rest of the cast, especially Lanz. Surprised to have a moebius as a member of the crew. So much for all moebius looks the same :P

Api is also the cutest nopon. So adorable!

Yes it's a quest chain. Yes it leads to something neat.

Oh man, thats awesome. In the least spoilery way, how do I keep track of it?

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I just got Triton and that was such a blast.

The whole questline was hilarious and such a fun time. Triton is such a great foil to the rest of the cast, especially Lanz.

Api is also the cutest nopon. So adorable!

Oh man, thats awesome. In the least spoilery way, how do I keep track of it?
You don't, lol. There's no real indication when a quest will be related to it until you do it, so you just gotta do everything!

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
Looks like I'm following everyone's pace here cause I'm on Ch. 5 too lol.
That baby moment and Sena comforting Eunie really were great. I'm hearing how one of the founders is actually Shulk but it's harder for me to pick out. I admit I haven't played the original XC or 2 but I'm really engrossed in the story so far, and with a rudimentary understanding of what the XC world was like in the previous two games, I do wonder how things have changed. My one curiosity is when did Mobius appear and take control of the XC world? Their opposition with Ouroboros is interesting cause I just realized it's represented in their irises: Mobius have the sideways "8" which is meant to be the eternity symbol, and so far we know their thing is attaining immortality at the cost of absorbing the lives of others around them, hence their orchestration of the Keyes vs Agnes war and the Flame Clocks. Ouroboros as the name implies, is the snake eating its own tail, which is meant to represent the natural life cycle, from birth to death. No immortality and no need to leech the lives off others like a parasite. It does explain the cruel and arrogant air the Consuls generally have when they just see everyone else as a battery to keep their lives going.

Also concerning a certain hero.
The cool cloaked robot(I'm assuming it's a robot). I encountered him once in Maktha woods after meeting Juniper/Colony Tau, and it sounds like there are multiple encounters with it? When will I be able to recruit it as a hero for the party?

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think this game will beat out Elden Ring for my GOTY which I wasn't sure if it would. Like I feel like Elden Ring is probably the better game from a more objective standpoint, but from a personal standpoint this game has got me to bust out a gigantic fucking grin on my face several times and that's something Elden Ring never did. This game just really resonates with me on a personal level

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Also, how do I unlock the last field skill? I have all the heroes except the big robot and I assumed Triton would give me that skill.

You don't, lol. There's no real indication when a quest will be related to it until you do it, so you just gotta do everything!

Ah dang lol. Well thats one way to motivate players to visit every nook and cranny of the map. Ive had about 4 encounters so far.

Or wait, are they the same robots as the robot hero?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
This game is making me want to go and play the previous games. I wanted to play the original but could never find a copy and I bounced off of XB2 pretty hard. Bought it at launch and could just never get in to it because of the design and repetitive battle lines. People have meme'd "Hear that Noah, Lanz wants something meatier!" but Rex's "show'm a thing or three" was way worse to me. Got about 5 hours in three different times before I gave up.

Theyre really great games and its worth pushing through the first 5-10 hours or so. I found XC1 a real slog in the beginning and only after the XC3 announcement I found the motivation to push through. Im really glad I did as it was awesome and the story is pretty important for a richer understanding of this trilogy.

I definitely plan on replaying 2 after this. I wonder how the game will stack up now with all the QOL changes it got after I beat it. It was a painful experience for me initially lol

Sena and Eunie are both getting their moment to shine. Eunie in particular has stood out to me. I was so happy when she was the first person to get Monica's class. I've been wanting to get her out of the healer role for a while, but for some reason she was just stuck there as Valdi's class. Now she's a defender and I am playing her (first time really straying out of Noah) and it is so fun! I just focus on keeping that blue line on me. I thought playing as a defender might be boring, but really the focus is on defenders in battle so it's very engaging. I don't snooze off like I can with other roles.

I definitely want to experiment with classes and builds during the post game. There are lots of fun combinations but I got so used to the cadence of the default classes.

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
Also, how do I unlock the last field skill? I have all the heroes except the big robot and I assumed Triton would give me that skill.

Ah dang lol. Well thats one way to motivate players to visit every nook and cranny of the map. Ive had about 4 encounters so far.

Man, I've only had one encounter so far lol, the scripted one after leaving Colony Tau. I really want this robot.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017

Its the last one you're missing that gives it

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Not sure how exactly, but yes. Numbers are a lot lower and it takes longer to charge the guage.

Gotcha, i'm seeing some of my friends that are lower level than me dealing more damage in chain attacks and I couldn't understand how, makes sense now.

Curious to know how much the damage is nerfed 🤔

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, Shania fucking sucks. Also goddamn, a teenager committing suicide by shooting herself in the head in a Nintendo game.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Its the last one you're missing that gives it

Of course lol. I ran into a few areas that are inaccessible and I'm so excited to explore them once I finally get my hands on that hero.

Man, I've only had one encounter so far lol, the scripted one after leaving Colony Tau. I really want this robot.

Yeah theyve appeared when I least expected them to. I once got them in a secret area but then also in the middle of nowhere lol. I kinda want to look up their locations now but also want to find them organically. What to do...

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
Of course lol. I ran into a few areas that are inaccessible and I'm so excited to explore them once I finally get my hands on that hero.

Yeah theyve appeared when I least expected them to. I once got them in a secret area but then also in the middle of nowhere lol. I kinda want to look up their locations now but also want to find them organically. What to do...
Sounds completely random, like RNG random lol. Maybe I just haven't been lucky yet.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely plan on replaying 2 after this. I wonder how the game will stack up now with all the QOL changes it got after I beat it. It was a painful experience for me initially lol

i think dealing with 2's menus after how snappy and convenient 3's are is easily gonna be the worst part of the readjustment. it still astounds me that those menus are so strangely programmed opening it can occasionally softlock the game.

that said i put my own 2 replay on pause before starting 3 and honestly pretty sure it won't feel too jarring going back. they're much different games and 3 isn't iterative enough in enough ways for the battle system to feel worse comparatively. pretty sure it'll still feel basically as good as it ever did.

fake edit: also going back to spending 300 years frozen to the floor every time you land from a height higher than 6 feet is probably gonna be tough.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else been purely relying on the auto-build feature for accessories and gems and stuff? I wonder how reliable it actually is and if I've just been screwing myself lol
I have been, and it's been totally fine. It would take way too long to do it all manually with how often I'm switching classes for everyone.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if you go to "hero roster" in the "system" menu there's hints on what you need to do to access the ascension quests(for the main parties original classes too despite what the name implies)
I literally turned the game on to look at this and
I'm literally on one right now as I just started the Side Story: Mio quest

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theyre really great games and its worth pushing through the first 5-10 hours or so. I found XC1 a real slog in the beginning and only after the XC3 announcement I found the motivation to push through. Im really glad I did as it was awesome and the story is pretty important for a richer understanding of this trilogy.

I do wonder how I'd take to 2 now since I only ever played it at launch and that game dropped, uh, real hot.

If this was XB2 I'd have to swap to Valdi everytime I have to climb ivy through a slow as shit menu.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have been, and it's been totally fine. It would take way too long to do it all manually with how often I'm switching classes for everyone.
Just FYI, loadouts save for classes across charsctees. Sometimes you need to make small adjustments like choosing a skill or master art that the current character doesn't yet have access to, but that gets less the more you unlock.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Quite surprised at this colony 9 side quest with Kite in the cave in Millick Meadows.

There's none of this "try to knock them out" nonsense, no, we straight up killed those guys. We release the Agnian soldiers, the Keves soldiers kill them, then we fight them, then it cuts to Noah sending off the Keves soldiers. Really wish the game would acknowledge that the heroes do have to kill people in their fights but it's kind of glossed over, but that scene at least had me so surprised I had to record a clip to be sure that's what happened. Like obviously we've been killing Consuls but aside from that the game actively pretends we just never kill soldiers.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of valdi i honestly feel pretty uh, down on him as a character/class. all the healing is nice but the lack of actual utility for 90% of situations
never feels good and the class kinda feels like the second coming of sharla. where it sorta justifies its own inclusion because fights start to need extra healing with so little damage or active mitigation. especially if he's directly in your party because he has an incredibly bad heroic chain besides the one situation where he's insane. out of the chapter 3 hero healers, thaumaturge just feels way better in like every way. and tactician proper just feels like the best healer straight up.

though i do find keves healers better in the hands of AI control because the time cooldowns are seemingly way easier for them to manage.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also it appears
I have to wait to do Monica's hero quest cause after it moved I due to being warned about being targeted and I can't travel there at the moment.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
i think dealing with 2's menus after how snappy and convenient 3's are is easily gonna be the worst part of the readjustment. it still astounds me that those menus are so strangely programmed opening it can occasionally softlock the game.

that said i put my own 2 replay on pause before starting 3 and honestly pretty sure it won't feel too jarring going back. they're much different games and 3 isn't iterative enough in enough ways for the battle system to feel worse comparatively. pretty sure it'll still feel basically as good as it ever did.

fake edit: also going back to spending 300 years frozen to the floor every time you land from a height higher than 6 feet is probably gonna be tough.

I do wonder how I'd take to 2 now since I only ever played it at launch and that game dropped, uh, real hot.

If this was XB2 I'd have to swap to Valdi everytime I have to climb ivy through a slow as shit menu.

Oh my God I totally forgot about that fall damage animation and those menus. As much as I loved that game, and am a card carrying member of the defense force, I'm starting to remember the pain lol.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
also shoutouts to blowdown in 3 putting you on the floor for like 3 seconds and not like. fucking 20.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of valdi i honestly feel pretty uh, down on him as a character/class. all the healing is nice but the lack of actual utility for 90% of situations
never feels good and the class kinda feels like the second coming of sharla. where it sorta justifies its own inclusion because fights start to need extra healing with so little damage or active mitigation. especially if he's directly in your party because he has an incredibly bad heroic chain for the one situation where he's insane. out of the chapter 3 hero healers, thaumaturge just feels way better in like every way. and tactician proper just feels like the best healer straight up.

though i do find keves healers better in the hands of AI control because the time cooldowns are seemingly way easier for them to manage.

I think it's still better than the sharla situation just due to XB3's raw numbers, if there's 7 people and you have someone that's just a healbot it opens up more options. But I agree generally, the two healer classes after him together are really nice and do enough healing while offering more offense but I also was running 3 healers for awhile with that setup, where as war medic might make it easier to only have two.

I'm more down on Zeon's class since it felt a lot harder to pull and keep aggro when the arts themselves don't do much, and it felt hard to reach the talent art which seemed important for the kit. There's so few tanks in this game as it is that I feel like I'm still missing something with it.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still randomly watch the ending of X2. It's such a good ending.

I... uh don't see myself doing that for XC3.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Just FYI, loadouts save for classes across charsctees. Sometimes you need to make small adjustments like choosing a skill or master art that the current character doesn't yet have access to, but that gets less the more you unlock.
I don't think this is across characters? Per character, yes, but I'm testing it now and it seems like each character has to be manually/automatically set once for it to lock in. If I'm doing something wrong let me know because as someone who manually sets everything it would be a huge time saver.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm like fifty hours in and I'm not really sure what chapter I'm on at the moment, but

I just sat through like an hour of consecutive cutscenes and was hooked for every second of them. I'm so glad that "our" Mio wound up surviving. Now it's time to kick N's ass.

This fucking game, man. Unless it somehow fumbles the ending, this is going to be one of my all-time favorite RPGs.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's still better than the sharla situation just due to XB3's raw numbers, if there's 7 people and you have someone that's just a healbot it opens up more options. But I agree generally, the two healer classes after him together are really nice and do enough healing while offering more offense but I also was running 3 healers for awhile with that setup, where as war medic might make it easier to only have two.
that's a fair argument. probably a trade-off worth number crunching. though for me when i run 3 healers, it's less about the healing itself and way more about having more and faster available revives for the various fights on hard where the boss just decides everything around it will die and healing doesn't really matter at that point. i think 2 healers is usually good enough to at least make it to the next chain attack where you can get everything in shape till the next round, but it's way easier for them to get aced and your run is basically over unless taion and eunie are somehow still up.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, Shania fucking sucks. Also goddamn, a teenager committing suicide by shooting herself in the head in a Nintendo game.

Yeah, I didn't think her turn was very good. It was super obvious since they straight up show one of the Moebius talking to her when she finds Guernica's eyepatch... but she's going to fuck over thousands of people because she wants a do-over? It was just so lame, its probably the weakest point of the game for me.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
This scene was so good
Also Holy shit one of those founders is 100% Shulk. Or at a reborn version of him since the founder plaque mentions he used to be a Kevesi soldier.
Also the house vanhdam founder is totally a fei reference isn't he lol
all these scenes were so good parts like this and the tower in chapter 4 is where i think sureeee you can play 3 by it's self but it's so much better playing everything else

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm like fifty hours in and I'm not really sure what chapter I'm on at the moment, but

I just sat through like an hour of consecutive cutscenes and was hooked for every second of them. I'm so glad that "our" Mio wound up surviving. Now it's time to kick N's ass.

This fucking game, man. Unless it somehow fumbles the ending, this is going to be one of my all-time favorite RPGs.

Yeah, I'm using a PS5 controller with an 8bitdo adapter to play this game and it fell asleep like 4 times during those scenes. And I agree, they were great... I was enjoying it the entire time.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
So are the Founders of the City: Rex (standing in for Pyra/Mythra), Shulk, Zeke (standing in for Pandora), Fiora, Mio, and Noah? I haven't gotten to the next zone yet in the story as I'm going back and doing a ton of side stuff including unlocking hero classes to 20.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, how was that not the chapter end boss?

Ethel and Cammuvai to O & P but then the chapter keeps going seems wild to me. Also really liked that sequence.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...
Sometimes during cutscenes the characters will switch back to default outfits.
I thought it was maybe because the cutscenes were prerendered, but when you replay it in the event theater it shows the current class.
I wonder if it's some kind of error that occurs like the memory leak or if it's purposeful.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Also, can I just say

I appreciate that they didn't hang onto the N = Noah and M = Mio reveal, and that Noah and Mio both recognized N in some capacity immediately. They're not discussing it yet because I'm sure it's confusing to the characters, but I always appreciate when games/shows/etc. don't hold onto an obvious reveal and treat it like it's a shock to the audience.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...
Sometimes during cutscenes the characters will switch back to default outfits.
I thought it was maybe because the cutscenes were prerendered, but when you replay it in the event theater it shows the current class.
I wonder if it's some kind of error that occurs like the memory leak or if it's purposeful.
It's likely a prerendered cutscene and involves some techniques that couldn't be done with the regular cutscene tools like transitioning to the evil theater lair

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
i'm just gonna gush about very late chapter 3 right now, taion specifically, and more broadly the fullness and nuance in which xenoblade 3 handles its characters. for me, it doesn't really feel like a question of how it compares to the series and more expansive story games in general. i am really impressed.

first of all, taion's english voice actor is incredible and knows exactly how to calibrate to the tone of every single scene he's in. wouldn't be half the character without the trembling inflections and half-starts that just completely sell the character's problems with expression.

i think a lot of hay has been made by people who love xb3's cast (very much including myself here) about the depth of every character, but what impresses me most in 3 is just how they show that depth. no one tells you their life story because that's not usually what people do, yet there's so much about their interiority that is expressed naturally through their interactions with one another. who they choose to approach, what they choose to talk about, what they want to talk around. taion feels like a really incredible testament to this balancing act because we get one flashback at chapter's start that essentially informs us about every single thing taion does and action he takes.

across the whole chapter, we just see this huge range of modes he goes through. taion and noah being immediately drawn together because they're probably the closest personality-wise to one another. taion being the one to notice how shaken up eunie is and putting her at ease in a way that understands the boundaries she puts around herself, then talking with her about his relationship with death and fear of loss and constant anxiety. him being pressured to find a travel route by the others and being unable to bring himself to insist on his call for caution. how he approaches lanz despite their animosity because of this image he's constructed of lanz as this unburdened, confident guy and the small window into lanz and his relationship with noah we get through this exchange. and finally that release of all the survivor's guilt he's been holding in over his mentor's death during the confrontation with his commander.

you're always a slightly different person to everyone depending on what you see in them and what you see about yourself, and how well 3 seems to understand this is a huge credit to its writing. taion is maybe the most emotionally intelligent of the entire cast yet so often struggles so hard to put his intentions into words and it's really astonishingly well conveyed.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying taking my time playing the game, but part of me wants to rush to the end so I can safely listen to the soundtrack on youtube. I'm not sure where I'll end up ranking it compared to the rest of the series, but the more I listen to it the more I like it.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
i'm just gonna gush about very late chapter 3 right now, taion specifically, and more broadly the fullness and nuance in which xenoblade 3 handles its characters. for me, it doesn't really feel like a question of how it compares to the series and more expansive story games in general. i am really impressed.

first of all, taion's english voice actor is incredible and knows exactly how to calibrate to the tone of every single scene he's in. wouldn't be half the character without the trembling inflections and half-starts that just completely sell the character's problems with expression.

i think a lot of hay has been made by people who love xb3's cast (very much including myself here) about the depth of every character, but what impresses me most in 3 is just how they show that depth. no one tells you their life story because that's not usually what people do, yet there's so much about their interiority that is expressed naturally through their interactions with one another. who they choose to approach, what they choose to talk about, what they want to talk around. taion feels like a really incredible testament to this balancing act because we get one flashback at chapter's start that essentially informs us about every single thing taion does and action he takes.

across the whole chapter, we just see this huge range of modes he goes through. taion and noah being immediately drawn together because they're probably the closest personality-wise to one another. taion being the one to notice how shaken up eunie is and putting her at ease in a way that understands the boundaries she puts around herself, then talking with her about his relationship with death and fear of loss and constant anxiety. him being pressured to find a travel route by the others and being unable to bring himself to insist on his call for caution. how he approaches lanz despite their animosity because of this image he's constructed of lanz as this unburdened, confident guy and the small window into lanz and his relationship with noah we get through this exchange. and finally that release of all the survivor's guilt he's been holding in over his mentor's death during the confrontation with his commander.

you're always a slightly different person to everyone depending on what you see in them and what you see about yourself, and how well 3 seems to understand this is a huge credit to its writing. taion is maybe the most emotionally intelligent of the entire cast yet so often struggles so hard to put his intentions into words and it's really astonishingly well conveyed.

So much of this game is like this. It feels like Taion was basically a core primer of setting expectations that the rest of the game is about following up on.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
So are the Founders of the City: Rex (standing in for Pyra/Mythra), Shulk, Zeke (standing in for Pandora), Fiora, Mio, and Noah? I haven't gotten to the next zone yet in the story as I'm going back and doing a ton of side stuff including unlocking hero classes to 20.
That's interesting. One is definitely Shulk. I see one who could be Fei from Xenogears and Rex from XC2. Are you saying one is for an older reincarnation of Mio and Noah, perhaps their original selves? I'm not sure Fiora is a statue but I could be convinced.