• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
One thing Monolith constantly impresses me with is their ability to churn out some incredibly high quality animated cutscenes in their cinematics. I dunno what kind of wizards they employ, but they really are amazing at some incredible choreographed animations. And it looks like this Expansion is going to have more of those.
That's all Graphinca. :)

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
That's all Graphinca. :)
Oh? Is Graphinca an animation outsourcing house that Monolith uses? Have they always used them or is it a more recent thing?

Anyway, I wanted to take a closer look at the voice actors who will be more featured in this prequel

Jin - John Schwab (The Witcher 2/3 as Dandelion)
Lora - Anna Koval (Vampyr as Carina and Dorothy)
Addam - Paul Thornley (The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone as Olgierd von Everec)
Haze (Fan) - Samantha Dakin (Star Wars Battlefront 2 as Voice Talent)

Definitely looking forward to hearing more of them. And of course, more of David Menkin as Malos will be glorious.

It will also be interesting to see if Skye Bennet will sound any different as Mythra in the past, if either because of her now being more familiar/comfortable with the character or due to the time.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Oh? Is Graphinca an animation outsourcing house that Monolith uses? Have they always used them or is it a more recent thing?
Graphinica is an animation studio formed from ex-Gonzo folks when Gonzo folded the first time round. They have been involved in cutscene production for all the Xenoblade games since the first one. Previously they did portions of it, but increasingly took on more responsibilities. For Xenoblade 2 they were the lead studio and the the two directors on the project storyboarded and directed all the cutscenes. So if you liked the action, direction, choreography, etc, that's mostly all them executing Takahashi's vision. :)

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, I wanted to take a closer look at the voice actors who will be more featured in this prequel

Definitely looking forward to hearing more of them. And of course, more of David Menkin as Malos will be glorious.

It will also be interesting to see if Skye Bennet will sound any different as Mythra in the past, if either because of her now being more familiar/comfortable with the character or due to the time.
I need more of Malos's VA. His voice (and his hamming) was glorious in XC2.
I wonder if he will keep cursing everyone out?

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

and still I'd prefer the original/japanese voices, I hope they will give us the option to download them

Deleted member 44960

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Apologies if already asked... Will the DLC be a stand-alone download to play separate from the main game, a la Uncharted Lost Legacy?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
can you buy this outside the season pass, like you can with the ario x rabbids donkey kong dlc? I have no interrest in the rest (much like with mario x rabbids in fact)

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
can you buy this outside the season pass, like you can with the ario x rabbids donkey kong dlc? I have no interrest in the rest (much like with mario x rabbids in fact)
Yes, but it's more expensive than the season pass, $40 (stand alone physical release).
They are treating it as a semi full release.

Apologies if already asked... Will the DLC be a stand-alone download to play separate from the main game, a la Uncharted Lost Legacy?
Yes, that should be the case.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Graphinica is an animation studio formed from ex-Gonzo folks when Gonzo folded the first time round. They have been involved in cutscene production for all the Xenoblade games since the first one. Previously they did portions of it, but increasingly took on more responsibilities. For Xenoblade 2 they were the lead studio and the the two directors on the project storyboarded and directed all the cutscenes. So if you liked the action, direction, choreography, etc, that's mostly all them executing Takahashi's vision. :)
Wow, it's nice that Monolith has such a resource at their disposal. I wonder if they had very limited involvement in XCX since that game's cutscenes IMO were not that great compared to the original and XB2. The only cutscenes that seemed done well that I can recall were from the Chapter where New LA was attacked and you had some neat mech vs mech action plus the Wrothian infiltration. But aside from that most of X's cutscenes were pretty dry.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018

Haze/Fan's VA is also better known as Maya Fey in Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wight. Guess I didn't notice until you listed it. I like her and Trevor White in that one, shame they couldn't carry over into the main AA series.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it's more expensive than the season pass, $40 (stand alone physical release).
They are treating it as a semi full release.

Yes, that should be the case.
Both of these statements are wrong....

The '40 dollar physical' is a weird way of saying 'no, you cannot buy the season pass piecemeal'. Since that's what was being asked.

And No, you can't just buy the season pass and play this without playing the base game, which is what the second question was.

EDIT: Ok, so you can buy the physical one and play THAT seperately, but it also includes a code for the season pass, basically ?

odd.

The announcement trailer certainly looks like you can't buy it or play it without the base game, I'm wondering if something is being misinterpreted about the physical version. Download code requires the base game for the season pass, physical version comes with a code. IE: It's a box with a code and no actual cart? If that's the case you 100% need the original game then.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Both of these statements are wrong....

The '40 dollar physical' is a weird way of saying 'no, you cannot buy the season pass piecemeal'. Since that's what was being asked.

And No, you can't just buy the season pass and play this without playing the base game, which is what the second question was.

EDIT: Ok, so you can buy the physical one and play THAT seperately, but it also includes a code for the season pass, basically ?

odd.

The announcement trailer certainly looks like you can't buy it or play it without the base game, I'm wondering if something is being misinterpreted about the physical version. Download code requires the base game for the season pass, physical version comes with a code. IE: It's a box with a code and no actual cart? If that's the case you 100% need the original game then.
You can play Torna DLC standalone without base game if you get the standalone packaged, only the expansion pass stuff requires base game, naturally.
The only thing that's unsure as of now is whether you can get $30 digital pass and play Torna DLC since we have no idea if it will be its own game icon or will it be accessed from in game menu, but standalone packaged version definitely allows you to play it without base game.

Also to throw Nintendo UK into the mix, their exact wording is "Packaged version only contains the additional story", whatever that means... hence, I answered the first question as "yes".

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can play Torna DLC standalone without base game if you get the standalone packaged, only the expansion pass stuff requires base game, naturally.
The only thing that's unsure as of now is whether you can get $30 digital pass and play Torna DLC since we have no idea if it will be its own game icon or will it be accessed from in game menu, but standalone packaged version definitely allows you to play it without base game.

Also to throw Nintendo UK into the mix, their exact wording is "Packaged version only contains the additional story", whatever that means... hence, I answered the first question as "yes".

Yeah I just watched the 30 minute ish treehouse stream, so rather explicitly the retail package is playable stand alone yep.

And as for 'whatever that means' I'm pretty sure it means it doesn't include the base game.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Is there a higher resolution for this picture somewhere please ?

DfgTt4GVAAE3znC.jpg:large

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Thx but it will be blurry on a 2560x1440 desktop :'(
I hope they will release a bigger one and without the logo. I love this picture, not too colourful and with a great perspective (Brighid's hair is fantastic too).

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we may get the full theme eventually. That rendition is good, but the trailer theme is amazing, same with FE's.