Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Hey guys it seems that the Xmen and the Fantastic 4 are going to be coming to the MCU soon enough yet this presents a very interesting problem. That is the question of diversity. Apologize in advanced I am on mobile but I needed to get this out of my head. The Xmen are inherently a group dedicated to the question of race relations in the United States. They were created with this very thought in mind in the heart of the civil rights movement. Yet this is a problem I think needs to be addressed before Marvel makes their version for the MCU. Pretty much all of the main cast... Is white.

Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Professor X, Wolverine, Angel, Iceman, Rogue, and a bunch more. Not only are most of the Xmen white but all of the Xmen on the original team are white. The most prominent Xmen that I can think of that are PoC are Storm, Jubilee, and Forge. It kinda of strange when you think of it. The best way to get nerds back then to feel empathy for the Civil rights movement was to have white people discriminated against. But a critic of the Xmen's past isn't the focus of this discussion. It's to disucdi the future. What is the best way to implement diversity in the Xmen today?

First thing first. The new Xmen team NEEDS to be diverse. There really shouldn't be any question here but I have to say it. The current state of race relations in America almost demands the return of the Xmen. But it also demands the Xmen be just as diverse as society is. If the Xmen still want to say it is about race relations it can't ignore the modern day calls for diversity. But what is the best way to do this? I bring this up because geek culture has been resist to changes to iconic characters. Fox made Johnny Storm black and the internet lost it shit (yes Fan4stic was shit but the pot still stands) the ghost busters made their team all women and again. Shit was lost. So what does marvel do? Do they change characters? Make a Xmen team with different characters that were traditionally PoC? I feel we need to have this discussion before the movie even begins production because I HOPE marvel is also.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They can do Cecila Reyes without whtiewashing her like Fox

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a problem with it. If it works, great. It should be up to the actor to carry the role. Marvel has done a great job casting its movies. No reason they can't expand it.

I've been a huge Nick Fury fan since the early 80s and but Samuel Jackson IS Nick Fury for me now. I wasn't a huge fan of the second Johnny Storm only because Chris Evans did a great job the first time around.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I feel like main X-Men isn't that diverse, X-Force seemed more diverse to me.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I'm thinking Angela Bassett would make a great Wolverine. Strong and intense.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I honestly think a lot of the main X-Men could be replaced with different ethnicities.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Well if we know Feige, he makes sure the first iteration of any char is identical to their comic book counterpart(although that went out the window with ghost) so i mean there is a chance they can diversify the cast but i wont bet on it tbh. Feige will want to get it done right with full comic book accuracy at least in the first movie.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How about Angel as black or Asian
Or just use Lifeguard, angel but useful
DZtJrvLV4AAajl4.jpg

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im ready for Goldballs and the X-Men.

But actually, Sunspot Is such a visually cool character that I hope he gets included.

OP
OP
Thatonedice1

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
You don't even have to do that. You can add Maggot, or Thunderbird 3 or Sunfire or Frenzy or a myriad of others to the lineup.

Here's the thing bro. People don't know those characters and probably won't recognize those characters. To me it feels similar to putting Cyborg on the Justice League instead of the Teen Titans. Alot of people going "Who is this guy and why should I care?"

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing bro. People don't know those characters and probably won't recognize those characters. To me it feels similar to putting Cyborg on the Justice League instead of the Teen Titans. Alot of people going "Who is this guy and why should I care?"
People knew about gamora, drax the destroyer, ROCKET RACCOON ?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is Laura Latina in the comics too?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Or they could avoid most of the Fox used characters who were mostly the ones people who don't read comics know. Just make a movie with already exsisting diverse X-Men I mean they made GOTG I am sure they could do a good job with insane popularity and profits with less well known characters.

Besides I am actually more concerned with mutants that are not pretty, give me a beak and angel romantic subplot with the kids and all.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think the comics had her described as Latina. Most of the earlier art had her looking very Asian.

They went in on the Afro-latino people, like damn

I had no idea even. I completely checked out of New Mutants when I saw who they cast for Rhane. Those are definitely not my New Mutants.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of hoping they bring out some of the relatively unknown or less popular X-men before they bring out the famous ones. Or at least a mix of popular and unpopular. We could do without Jean Grey, Mystique, Storm and Cyclops for a while.
Marvel Studios have made a lot of previously unknown characters extremely popular. It's kind of their thing now. Hopefully they can do that with the X-men and hopefully it'll be bring diversity.

Damisa Sarki

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
The X-Men roster is deep enough where you don't have to Racewash any of the primal ones. The X-Men are teachers at a racially diverse school. You can just simply rely on the source material for diversity.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really bizarre criticism of the X-Men considering that the original relaunch was done to add diversity. A big reason that the MCU has been so white is that so many of the high-profile minority characters are wrapped up in the X-Men.

Damisa Sarki

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
I had no idea who the guardians were until the movies. Im a big comic reader but cosmic Marvel never interested me until those movies.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm kind of hoping they bring out some of the relatively unknown or less popular X-men before they bring out the famous ones. Or at least a mix of popular and unpopular. We could do without Jean Grey, Mystique, Storm and Cyclops for a while.
Marvel Studios have made a lot of previously unknown characters extremely popular. It's kind of their thing now. Hopefully they can do that with the X-men and hopefully it'll be bring diversity.

I like what they've been doing with the "Classic Characters" in the MCU. Have the OG X-Team already be mentors and start with a fresh Team.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Given the direction Marvel has been going lately, I imagine they will just heavily promote a lot of the more diverse X-Men to leading roles.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also - how does this acquisition work exactly? Does Disney own all the old X-men movies? For example, will Disney get money for sales of "Logan?"
Is there anything stopping them from bringing actors who were in those movies into these new ones? Could they get the girl who played X-23 to play the same character in an MCU movie?

Damisa Sarki

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
This is a really bizarre criticism of the X-Men considering that the original relaunch was done to add diversity. A big reason that the MCU has been so white is that so many of the high-profile minority characters are wrapped up in the X-Men.

This. I think because of the success of the MCU people forget that there was a time where Marvel found most of its success from the X-Men and Spider-Man. All the reason for them to come home. Feige has been playing with a handicap this entire time....Jesus what he's going to be able to do now. Im so glad he said fuck all to the inHumans and they were relegated to TV land. (AoS not counting) Because he left himself the perfect opportunity.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love the original five, they can probably launch the property with bigger names that also add some diversity - Storm, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde. Iceman, too, since he's Marvel's most prominent gay character at this point.

Wouldn't mind a black Professor X, either.

I think Wolverine is the only character that you'd get a ton of backlash for minority casting. Maybe Cyclops and Jean. Like, does anyone care if human Beast is actually Latino or something? He's blue and fuzzy 90% of the time.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
no matter what they do I just hope they give mystique a fucking rest.

I dont care what super attractive blonde they con into getting painted naked, i'm tired of her dumbass character

Damisa Sarki

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Also - how does this acquisition work exactly? Does Disney own all the old X-men movies? For example, will Disney get money for sales of "Logan?"
Is there anything stopping them from bringing actors who were in those movies into these new ones? Could they get the girl who played X-23 to play the same character in an MCU movie?

Disney owns everything 20th Century Fox owns (Movie Wise) They have the rights to all of their characters outright except Spider-Man, Namor and The Hulk. I believe Namor and Hulk have similar situations where if they get their own Standalone movies Universal gets partial publishing rights? But Marvel can use the characters as they see fit. (Someone co-sign or correct)

Damisa Sarki

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
As much as I love the original five, they can probably launch the property with bigger names that also add some diversity - Storm, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde. Iceman, too, since he's Marvel's most prominent gay character at this point.

Wouldn't mind a black Professor X, either.

I think Wolverine is the only character that you'd get a ton of backlash for minority casting. Maybe Cyclops and Jean. Like, does anyone care if human Beast is actually Latino or something? He's blue and fuzzy 90% of the time.

Im okay with a Black Prof X.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
You can easily mix and match different incarnations of the team.
Start with most of the all-new all-different group and add whoever else you think could be relevant for modern audiences.
Make Kitty the POV character. Introduce Logan in movie 2.