• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm making this thread specifically because i feel many may have avoided this album due to his past actions. I also missed discussions because I take forever getting around to albums D:

1503422325_41fbc221f72ac0c6b5f73aaca7860fc0.jpg

I gave XXX's album a play recently, as it's only 22 mins long, so i figured there would be no harm in giving it a chance. I don't regret it. It is a very emotional album, and I found it very entertaining as I am extremely empathetic. Due to my empathy I was able to invite (for lack of a better term) his emotions and pain into my own life and felt what he feels (as much as one can), and man, I was depressed for a good hour or so, lol. I now see what Kendrick meant when he said "listen to this album if you feel anything." And when I consider the dudes terrible upbringing, I can see the torture he goes through within. Self hate. Anger. Grief. A mix of very real, and very unfortunate emotions. I found that the production and vocals contextualized these emotions to give them that extra layer for me to soak in, I mean, the lyrics themselves are powerful, and painful, but the production and vocals add a sense of loneliness and hopelessness that really highlighted his struggle. Beautiful album. It's also not the most abstract album, as his lyrics are fairly simple, but I feel as if it is somewhat an asset because it makes it raw, as if he just wrote what he thought and felt, and that was it, done, then he recorded. If I was forced to give a review (dont like reviewing like this honestly), I'd give it a 7.5/10. It could have been a little longer and I personally would enjoy more complex lyrics, but overall the album is really good. Too bad he quit, he could grow as an artist and i'd be interested to see where he goes with his sound.

Now, I know many write him off for his behavior in general. I'm not gonna sit here and right his wrongs as he has done terrible things, not going into details because that's not what this thread is about. We are not discussing this.

For those who have listened to the Album, what did you think? Did you like it or hate it? Why? What are your favorite tracks? least favorite? For those who haven't I feel that if you love music then you owe it to yourself to listen to this album at least once. If you listen to the album because of this thread, please let me know your thoughts as I would be happy knowing i convinced someone to check it out :D

And please, again, Im not making a thread to discuss your opinions of him as a person. If you cant separate the art from the artist than that's on you. I just want to see what others think of this ALBUM on ERA as i never really had the chance to share my thoughts.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's bad, the nigga can't sing, no one wants to hear your fucking melodies, I honestly don't care after a while. It's not good.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
He does seem like a massive cunt, but I love Revenge. Everything else I've heard is ehhh.

OP
OP
DookieAnderson
Oct 25, 2017
So to clarify, you want to discuss how it's an emotional and deeply personal album but not talk about him as a person and the events that to precipitate it?

I'd be open to it, but i feel people would bog the thread with "piece of shit" statements that would go nowhere. If you can construct thoughtful criticisms while discussing his actions, then go for it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I liked that Revenge song a lot. the rest of the album was just ok tho imo. i liked what he was going for trying to break out of emo rap and more towards an alternative sound

a shame he's such a piece of crap.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd be open to it, but i feel people would bog the thread with "piece of shit" statements that would go nowhere. If you can construct thoughtful criticisms while discussing his actions, then go for it.

That's the thing though, from what I've read, you can't really distance the music from his previous actions, since more often then not, his music IS his previous actions.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a bad EP album thing and "Fuck Love" is a really good song.

But the fact that this was made with the intent to display his abused girlfriend as some sort of harlot who tore his heart out and trying to destroy him kills this album for me.

OP
OP
DookieAnderson
Oct 25, 2017
I liked that Revenge song a lot. the rest of the album was just ok tho imo. i liked what he was going for trying to break out of emo rap and more towards an alternative sound

a shame he's such a piece of crap.

Yea, revenge is a great track. I really enjoy the way he adds emphasis on the break bones part. that, Jocelyn Flores, save me, and dead inside are my favorite tracks

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
i liked what he was going for trying to break out of emo rap and more towards an alternative sound

It all sounded gloom and doom for me, granted I've only listened to like 3 tracks. But still, felt like some dark/emo thing going on in his album, it just wasn't for me.

OP
OP
DookieAnderson
Oct 25, 2017
Lot of people seem to be knocking his singing. I dont really think he's trying to be John Legend here, the guy is expressing pain through his voice. That's where the vocals shine, I can feel his emotions which, imo, is vital to singing and this dude does pretty damn great.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good tbh, I really liked Revenge and Fuck love. Honestly didn't know shit about him, it popped up on apple music and I gave it a listen.

After reading about him... he's one fucked up crazy guy

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of people seem to be knocking his singing. I dont really think he's trying to be John Legend here, the guy is expressing pain through his voice. That's where the vocals shine, I can feel his emotions which, imo, is vital to singing and this dude does pretty damn great.

Sorry, but like, what pain? After his actions I find it real hard to feel bad for the guy or relate to him. Every time he whines about how bad he feels it just comes off as comical, and since the album seems to try to paint the girl who he best the shit out of as the bad guy I just can't. Like, separating the art from the artist makes sense sometimes but here the art is pretty literally about his shiftiness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DookieAnderson
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, butike, what pain? After his actions I find it real hard to feel bad for the guy or relate to him. Every time he whines about how bad he feels it just comes off as comical, and since the album seems to try to paint the girl who he best the shit out of as the bad guy I just can't. Like, seaparating the art from the artist makes sense sometimes but here the art is pretty literally about his shiftiness.

For one Jocelyn Flores is about suicide. Suicide of a girl he cared for, and how he felt alone after. How he contemplates his own suicide, and even mentions briefly the suicide, or attempted suicide, of his uncle. I'm unclear about the details on this particular one. The tone of his voice in the song sort of conveys that pain. Sorry, I don't know how else to articulate it. And while his actions are certainly deplorable, one cannot deny that this dude has been through some shit, and he certainly has pain, which is Apparant in this album. Imo.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty forgettable. Listened to it like twice and haven't felt the need to return to it.