• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA
6Czdbkg.jpg

Oh my goodness... *blush*

Missed opportunity not having Sagawa in a shirtless battle!

Oct 26, 2017
So excited after finding this thread. I have a new home! I've been playing Yakuza 1-5 this last year and so far and loving it, and so far Yakuza 2 has been my favourite. However, I'm half way through Yakuza 5 and I'm staring to fell that this might over take Y2. The side quests, the fact side quests actual have markers on the map so I can continue them, and the storyline so far have been outstanding. The whole saejima fighting a bear and hunting area have been a personally highlight so far.

So I just wanted to see what you lot think of Yakuza 5; whether it's the best Yakuza so far or what are your own personally favourites and why?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I slowly made it all the way from 1 to Yakuza 5 but my PS3 controller gave way. I thought my DS4 would work but apparently I cannot do some mini-games that requires pressure-sensitive triggers and that bums me out. It has been a fantastic ride so far, a little bit bummed out I can't enjoy Yakuza 0 since I don't have a PS4 yet, it really seems like the best of the bunch.

It's interesting to see how his design changed after his flashback scene (with Saejima) in Yakuza 4, also can we agree that it might be one of the best scenes of the series ? It has that Takeshi Kitano vibe of melancholia and urban sadness, it was very well crafted and I didn't expect that from the team after the shift in tone with Y3

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA
So I just wanted to see what you lot think of Yakuza 5; whether it's the best Yakuza so far or what are your own personally favourites and why?

I loved 5, though I usually see people rating it a bit lower. As far as the one's I've completed my order would probably go: 2>0>5>4>3>Kiwami>DeadSouls>1.

Saejima's hunting section in 5 ended up being my favorite of the main characters side missions. We had heavy snowfall that year and it somehow added to the whole experience. lol

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the list of Seijima fans on 5. Bar the overly long nature of some of the prison bits (dreams) I loved his chapters. The small snowy town in the mountains was wonderful, as was the hunting and side stories based around it. And when you reach the city it was delightful - the ice sculptures look fantastic and really hammer home a nice Xmas atmosphere (only other game that made me feel that way was Shenmue 1). Plus I really liked some of the side stories in the city area like
Santa hunters, matchstick girl (loved this same side story in 1/Kiwami as well), the escaped bear and any side stories relating to your prison inmates

Plus I love Seijima's fighting style. Its slow, but insanely powerful. Pretty much the strongest character in the game (sorry Kiryu ;) )

As for 5 in general - I love it. I know its a very marmite game with some people really not liking the story pacing (it is all over the place at points), the overly long nature of the game and sheer amount of content included but I love it. Content wise I put it at the top of the series for me - getting to visit other cities - even if they aren't as developed as Kamuracho was a great change, the mini games were almost all really fun for me - train a racing chicken, take part in a snowball fight GP, Taxi Driving! Virtua Fighter 2 and Taiko Drum Master etc. and that's on top of all the main stay stuff like the UFO Catcher (which got a great upgrade for 5), Mahjong, gambling games, bowling, batting center (which was a nice improvement thanks to Shinada's inclusion).

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
So excited after finding this thread. I have a new home! I've been playing Yakuza 1-5 this last year and so far and loving it, and so far Yakuza 2 has been my favourite. However, I'm half way through Yakuza 5 and I'm staring to fell that this might over take Y2. The side quests, the fact side quests actual have markers on the map so I can continue them, and the storyline so far have been outstanding. The whole saejima fighting a bear and hunting area have been a personally highlight so far.

I didn't really like Saejimas and Harukas section in Y5, but I'm really glad you are enjoying it.

Kiryus and Shinadas parts are ace. I mostly play for the story so those stood out for me.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In yakuza 0, do side quests became unavaliable after a chapter is completed?

Commander_LP

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm new here in the forum and in this community. Yakuza is one of my favorite game series. So it's a pleasure to be here with this community. I finished Yakuza 0 last week. Really enjoyed. It's in my series top 3, along with Yakuza 2 and 4. It made me care a lot more for Majima than before. But ...

Despite having enjoyed the character's arc and personality in this game, Majima looks like another character. I expected to see more clearly his transformation to the famous Mad Dog of Shimano. And I do not know if only the events of this game would be enough for him to freak out. And that got weirder for me, because in the post-credit scene, when he finds Kiryu, Majima is already in full Mad Dog mode. But shortly ago, he had a sensitive and beautiful scene with Makoto (I admit, a few tears came down at that moment. Hahaha). I'm not saying "mad dogs" can not be sensitive people. It's just that I wanted to see a little more of Majima's uncontrolled side in this game.

Maybe it was just me who could not see this transition so clearly. Or maybe the mad dog I knew from the old games did not "fit" into the narrative of the game, and the writers had to rewrite part of the character. On the plus side, everything else is amazing, in my opinion. And like I said, I still really enjoyed this "other" Majima. His introductory scene was amazing.

Now that I'm playing Kiwami, I'm enjoying the upgrades that came up from 0. Even more so because I only played the first one in 2006 and did not even remember much.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
target has b2 get 1 free sale including pre-orders. if you cancel 2 instantly you get pro-rated discount. i ordered 3x yakuza 6 after hours premium editions and canned 2. cheaper than bestbuy GCU with 5% target redcard

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the odds of a collection of 3 - 5 on PS4 after Kiwami 2, or should I dip into the PS3 versions?

Oct 27, 2017

Yakuza 2 is my favourite, as I think it has the strongest story of any game in the series. I like the story of Yakuza 5 well enough despite its pacing issues and the large amount of side content was awesome too. This is probably a minor thing for others, but I was bummed out by the reduced texture quality in the cities of 5.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just play the PS3 versions imo. Even if they announce such collection (I doubt it), it'll be years before it comes out in English.
Exactly. The team is working on Kiwami 2, Fist of the North Star, Yakuza Online and then after all those the next game they've sort of announced is the console game staring Ichiban which takes place after Yakuza 6 canonically. So I can't see them happening in Japan before 2019 at the earliest.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. The team is working on Kiwami 2, Fist of the North Star, Yakuza Online and then after all those the next game they've sort of announced is the console game staring Ichiban which takes place after Yakuza 6 canonically. So I can't see them happening in Japan before 2019 at the earliest.
Yeah, we'll be lucky if we get it localized by 2020.
If that's the case, can I skip Y3? It's not available digitally.
Yeah, you should be fine skipping Y3 and jumping into Y4. Before Y0 came out, Y4 was the starting point that we recommended people to play if they only had a PS3.

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case, can I skip Y3? It's not available digitally.

I think you should play it as in my opinion the game's opening hours are important for Kiryu's character development. I feel that the story's conflict within the Tojo Clan is bad and uninspired, so overall story-wise you could probably just skip it though and watch the recap in Yakuza 4.

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA

I'm finally understanding this! I was definitely salty when it came out due to the cut content, but replaying it for the first time in 7 years has reminded me how great some of the characters are, especially the Ryudo family members. I think, while I enjoyed my initial play through when it first came out, I just blasted through it too quickly to the point where I barely remember any of the major plot points. Anywho, really digging it (again).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Don't skip 3. It has the best soundtrack (well, at least top 3) in the game along with an excellent antagonist and some genuinely moving story scenes in the back end of the game. Plus story wise it sets up a few plot points that are carried across the rest of the series.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that the first hours of Y3 could put them to sleep tho lol

Personally I loved the orphanage stuff, but so many people gave up on that game because they were bored of those parts :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If your doing a playthrough of the series though, seems criminal to miss out on 3. Think of poor Rikya :(

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
If you've played through Y1 and Y2 then it's just criminal to me to skip Y3. Sure, it may not be the best Yakuza game. But it has arguably the most emotional punch out of all of them. Also the best final boss.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yakuza thread in general is not a good place to ask those things. Everybody have different opinions, especially on 3 (><)
If you are thinking of playing the older entries for 6, I think 1>3>5 is the critical path.

Deleted member 26293

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's great,but i didn't like how messy the plot was and found certain story beats almost nonsensical.

There's ton to love though,and it's really impressive how content packed it is (Taxi minigame!)

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Yakuza Era is looking good! I've been a fan since the first game and I'm so happy the series is finally getting the recognition it deserves outside of Japan.

Deleted member 26293

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haruka's chapter was fun,but if hear her debut song another time i'm going to scream lol
There really should have been at least a couple more songs.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I really need to play 2,3,4 and 5 before 6 comes out. Hoping for a remaster for all though since my PS3 is dead

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I restarted Yakuza Zero after dropping it on Chapter 2. Some thoughts considering that I played Yakuza 5 3 months ago

- 60 fps is an game changer.
- The beat em ups parts are better now thanks to the pavlovian sounds of making your opponent drop yens. Those are very moba like, is sad to know that they will not appear on kiwami, but will those be avaliable on 6?
- Speaking of money, i'm impressed by how much cash you earn in this game, was this for balance purpose or is just a story/joke motivation were they imply that japanese economy was way much stronger on the 80's?
- I'm digging the style changes, but is a bit of a drag to do them mid battle
- I really love how the look of kamurocho in the 80's is, Sega did a good job since it doesn't look THAT different of modern kamurocho, which imo makes the game look more realistic since objectively, towns not necesarily have monstrous changes unless you rebuild them entirely from scratch
- That being said, are all the ads in the game from that era? I saw some of them that look way too modern from that era, mainly those with guys in it, since they look is a little too modern, but maybe those hairstyles were already popular there?
- I love how I'm learning more about japanese culture with this game, like what a yanki is, or that the selling of underwear pants was something popular back then and that even had a name.
- Finally, at first I didn't liked the idea of the map not showing where the sidequests were going to happen, but after a little of gameplay, I realized how great is this idea, since now I have more reason to visit the whole city, and is cool how natural the sidequests are played with the normal life. Also is cool that sidequests now have a little jingle when you start them and finish them.

Overall, I only have 4 hours with this game, but I already realized that it must be the best game in the whole franchise (Ignoring Kiwami and 6 which I have not played yet)

I really need to play 2,3,4 and 5 before 6 comes out. Hoping for a remaster for all though since my PS3 is dead

At the point, is just better to watch videos, 3 and 5 are an slug to play, and if you want to play them for story reason, is best to just watch the cutscenes, that way your life is easier and will not suffer of pacing issues

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
At the point, is just better to watch videos, 3 and 5 are an slug to play, and if you want to play them for story reason, is best to just watch the cutscenes, that way your life is easier and will not suffer of pacing issues
I can't do this. Not the type that likes to watch cause I won't enjoy at all! I don't mind if they're meh or outdated

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
You're making the right call by playing through them. They're terrific games. Even Y5 is worth experiencing.

also sibarraz You can get an item for both kiryu and Majima that highlights the starting points of substories should you need to find them for the sake of completion.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't skip 3. It has the best soundtrack (well, at least top 3) in the game along with an excellent antagonist and some genuinely moving story scenes in the back end of the game. Plus story wise it sets up a few plot points that are carried across the rest of the series.
yeah, characters are great

Keep in mind that the first hours of Y3 could put them to sleep tho lol

Personally I loved the orphanage stuff, but so many people gave up on that game because they were bored of those parts :(
you should unspoiler this positive comment! definately a great part of the story.
I can't do this. Not the type that likes to watch cause I won't enjoy at all! I don't mind if they're meh or outdated
agree, don't miss it. it's worth playing through. 5 is long, all of the additional side stuff can make it tedious but if you keep on the main story you should be good.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
If you can get past the orphanage section of Yakuza 3, then you can beat the game just fine. The game also features the best grieving moment in the series. Shit was primal.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Just a +1 on Don't skip 3. I think it has some of Kiryu's best persona; moments and makes the orphanage stuff in later games more impactful.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just a +1 on Don't skip 3. I think it has some of Kiryu's best persona; moments and makes the orphanage stuff in later games more impactful.
Agreed regarding both points. Plus for anyone bothering with Yakuza 6 - the orphanage takes up part of the (fairly long) intro, including catching up with the orphans. Not sure a story recap of 3 would really give you the insight into their personalities.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
well thanks.

At least now I know I have to prepare the tissues. Those kids killed me when we found out what they did in Yakuza 5.

348216632323080192.png

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Finding out that the kids were more than willing to give up their high-school/college education so that Haruka could pursue her dream.

SO FUCKING WRECKED.