• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
just sometimes a pain for RNG to fill the machines with the desirable toys whether switching locations or asking the clerk to switch prizes.

Took forever for a Jumbo Chestnut to appear for me. Then when I got it I realized it may have appeared before but since it looked so close to the normal one I may have reset over it. Figure that would have been something I would have remembered from previous playthroughs.

And yeah on the Komaki stuff. Not that it matters since it's just a few chapters but I still like getting the moves as soon as I can.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So the awesome gaming website Hardcoregaming101 is covering the Yakuza games one by one in a series currently, and they've just reached the third game in the series - Kenzan:

Its a good read if anyone wants an actual good summary of the game including some accurate plot details, a great shoutout to ThePatrick's original FAQ which many (including me) used to play it initially, and just an all round good article that I feels lines up with several of my held thoughts on the game - mentioning Haruka's role correctly in the story (she's an attendant/assistant, not a prostitute...), it does mention that the game is too problematic and a PR nightmare to remake though due to the way Haruka becomes said attendant (basically sells herself to a brothel), and also makes note of stuff like the completion list, combat details and so on. Im curious what their stance on 3 will be lol.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I've been at home sick with a nasty cold, and really felt like playing some Yakuza, so I decided to re-play a Yakuza game for the first time. I wanted to play a fairly recent game (e.g., the dragon engine) that had that classic night life scenery, so I ended up choosing to play Kiwami 2 again.

I was planning to just put a few hours into it, but I've already invested another ten hours and it's just so good. This game has even better pacing than I remember, things get rolling fast and you quickly unlock all of the main attractions.

I've always really liked the game's story. The Tojo Clan and the Omi Alliance are these two big rivals, but this feels like the only game where the two are actually at war. Ryuji is a great villain, and overall I think all of the villains in the game are pretty good. I've critiqued the game's ending before for its ridiculous plot twists and over-the-top soap opera ending, but re-playing it now I see that at least some of the events that I previously felt came out of nowhere were actually foreshadowed. For instance, Majima strongly hints that he doesn't believe that the Omi alliance would actually kill Terada. There are also other hints that flew over my head last time.

I know people critique K2's combat, and I get it, but to me it's just so fluid and a bit of chaotic fun. The weapons mechanic is also pretty neat; how you can pocket weapons from the battle and bring them out whenever. One annoying design decision is how expensive it is to buy the super situational heat actions which you unlock after befriending a person (like, if you're fighting close to the guitarist in Osaka, you can trigger his heat action). In Judgment they made these heat actions freely available IIRC, which was a good idea. They're just not worth the large amount of exp they cost to buy in K2.

One thing I had forgotten is how short most of the substories are in this game. I had one substory which was literally just *substory starts* "hey man do you have an energy drink?" *hands over energy drink* "thanks" *substory ends*. It kind of tracks for the game's high pace, though, haha. Some of the slightly longer substories, like the fake Kiryu double, are pretty great. I had also forgotten how important eating is in this game. The experience points you get from eating is ridiculous; you're basically constantly eating every few street fights.

Can't believe I'm actually going to go through the cabaret club for now a third time (0, K2, K2 again).

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, honestly going back to K2 last year made me really appreciate the substory lenght. Some of the later games really stretch them out. Y6 in particular was painful for me at times (probably because of the voice acting, lol)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Trust me, do 6's side stories but read the text, not listen to the voices. It makes things go by way faster, its way better. I get them trying to make it bigger budget by voicing everything, but that doesnt work when the game is as wordy as Yakuza, it basically destroys pacing. But I do adore 6's side stories though, Ill always stick up for them, they are some of my faovurites in the series, and 8 does an amazing job with basing a few off a couple of these as well!

As for the weapon pocketing in Kiwami 2 and original 2... its honestly baffling that the only game that brings this back (that I remember) is Yakuza 5... Its a legit great idea being able to save some of these weapons for later, especially as (at least in Kiwami 2) I seem to recall you can get some pretty funky ones out of certain encounters. There's really no excuse for 3, 4, 6 and Gaiden to cut that option.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mesuking, Cabaret, and Pocket Circuit are behind me, bar any main/substory inclusions. I was a bit surprised that Pocket Circuit didn't require much in the way of utilizing turbo. Just make a build and almost autowin until the final tournament with its bizarre RNG track ejection.

Onward through the rest of Ch.6.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit surprised that Pocket Circuit didn't require much in the way of utilizing turbo. Just make a build and almost autowin until the final tournament with its bizarre RNG track ejection.

Yeah if you don't want to mess around with the tinkering there are pretty set guides to what to use. Also I've found that the random track ejections can have to do with what lane your car is in since turns will be sharper on the inside track. Just a random observation.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Track ejections... bah! Gaiden has one particular course that has this stupidly sharp corner as the first corner, that's one of the couple of races I needed a guide for, since it was a living nightmare to either a) stay on track and go fast or b) go fast enough to win race

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, we getting an English RGG TV? That's a nice change. Horii being featured is great news, if there's any interesting info, please relay. I'll hold off watching for now in case there's any late game RGG8 spoilers, I probably wont get to the finale until next week.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Yakuza 6 over the weekend and, with that, my 2 year journey to play through the yakuza games that started when I played LAD.

Currently breezing through yakuza 7 a second time to remember the plot fully then I might start man who erased his name.

LAD spoiler chapter 12:
I remember getting excited when kiryu showed up but I hadn't played the other games beforehand. I just got to that part again and seeing him show up and Majima going "I knew you weren't dead!" Was awesome.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, Bad Ass Dads is Top 3 substories across 0, 7, and Kiwami. Going to have to watch someone choose the 'Gloat' option, which admittedly was probably a bit more fitting in the space they were all in at the time.

Wait, we getting an English RGG TV? That's a nice change. Horii being featured is great news, if there's any interesting info, please relay. I'll hold off watching for now in case there's any late game RGG8 spoilers, I probably wont get to the finale until next week.
I'll hold off as well until someone reports in on what they go over. It's been hell keeping my partner from spoiling late Infinite Wealth, let alone K2-6.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, honestly going back to K2 last year made me really appreciate the substory lenght. Some of the later games really stretch them out. Y6 in particular was painful for me at times (probably because of the voice acting, lol)

Trust me, do 6's side stories but read the text, not listen to the voices. It makes things go by way faster, its way better. I get them trying to make it bigger budget by voicing everything, but that doesnt work when the game is as wordy as Yakuza, it basically destroys pacing. But I do adore 6's side stories though, Ill always stick up for them, they are some of my faovurites in the series, and 8 does an amazing job with basing a few off a couple of these as well!

As for the weapon pocketing in Kiwami 2 and original 2... its honestly baffling that the only game that brings this back (that I remember) is Yakuza 5... Its a legit great idea being able to save some of these weapons for later, especially as (at least in Kiwami 2) I seem to recall you can get some pretty funky ones out of certain encounters. There's really no excuse for 3, 4, 6 and Gaiden to cut that option.

I mean, I really like the substories in 6, haha, and I quite appreciate that they are fully voiced. It makes the people feel more "real". But just like shadowman, I too will often read the text and skip ahead. Not just in substories, but sometimes during main story scenes too, especially in 8. It's kind of a case-by-case for me on whether I prefer to listen to the whole thing or skip ahead; depends on the context.

And yeah, the neat thing about weapon pocketing too is that you always have heat actions available in your pocket, as it were. Also neat that you never, ever run out of weapons. I don't think I've ever used weapons as much as I do in K2.

Btw, I completely forgot that the bar talk from 6 is also in K2. Just had my first after beating the first league in the cabaret club.

Oh yeah, speaking of skipping text and the cabaret club, you can't skip any dialogue in the conversations you have with the platinum hostesses, and they are so unbelievably slow. I remember skipping most of these conversations last time and I'll definitely do it again. I really appreciate how RGG lets us skip most text in the more recent games

Feb 16, 2022
Probably already discussed before, but how do people think they would/should move forward with the party system in LaD9?

Splitting the party up in IW made narrative(both in terms of story and making sure the party/table talk combinations don't get too crazy) and balancing sense, but I was kinda bummed not having the full party available until for the post-game. Party-based JRPGs having sequels that bring back all party members is basically unheard of. Tomizawa and Chitose are the most likely to not come back, but losing the rest of them would kinda suck.

Out of the remaining six, Adachi/Nanba/Saeko probably are the likeliest to return, with them being Ichiban's main circle of friends, and Zhao/Joongi/Seonhee feel less likely though still possible.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not being a big RPG fan outside of Yakuza, I also wonder how parties for 9 would work. Most RPGs tend to give you new parties per new game since its rare (at least from what Ive seen) to get an RPG sequel which is a direct continuation thus few if any returning characters. Even stuff like Mass Effect replaced team members per game (though some thankfully returned). Like, Persona games tend to have all new parties per game.

So Yakuza 8 having a very similar party to 7 was, in my mind, a breath of fresh air. Not just ditching the characters but getting to see what they've been doing, seeing how certain ones interact with Kiryu, and just keeping them around for some amazing chat moments.

I reckon, and this is assuming 9 carries on from 8 with Ichiban. Characters returning would definitely be Adachi and Namba. I assume Saeko as well but who knows what with the "will they wont they" currently. I assume that'll just fall to "definitely wont" and everyone will just continue as if that never happened in 8.

Im leaning toward Tomizawa just not popping up again. I like his character, but he very much feels like a character whose only in one game at the moment. But considering I thought the same about Namba not returning, I can see them bringing him back.

Chitose... I really want her back. I love her default fighting style, and love her personality.

Han? He's popular. I reckon he might return. Ditto Seung Hee. Plus I really dont want RGGS to axe 2/3 of the ladies from 8, that'd be lame. We gotta get to keep one of them. Both are just too good in many respects.

Zhao? I mean, him being a chef now... he's a guy that could again absolutely come back. Again, I love his personality so its hard to let him go lol. I feel unless they shift location again, we'll see the others return, at least I hope so... Just gimme gender neutral jobs next time please RGGS... or at least double the amount the ladies get. And make the jobs less stereotypical.

Btw, I completely forgot that the bar talk from 6 is also in K2. Just had my first after beating the first league in the cabaret club.
There's a couple that pop up from Majima construction as well. One of which I really gotta see how they translated it because its one of those "Japanese rhymes/jokes which is strikes me as something that's a nightmare to translate. Im sure the localisation team did a bang up job though, as per usual.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Probably already discussed before, but how do people think they would/should move forward with the party system in LaD9?

Splitting the party up in IW made narrative(both in terms of story and making sure the party/table talk combinations don't get too crazy) and balancing sense, but I was kinda bummed not having the full party available until for the post-game. Party-based JRPGs having sequels that bring back all party members is basically unheard of. Tomizawa and Chitose are the most likely to not come back, but losing the rest of them would kinda suck.

Out of the remaining six, Adachi/Nanba/Saeko probably are the likeliest to return, with them being Ichiban's main circle of friends, and Zhao/Joongi/Seonhee feel less likely though still possible.

I can't imagine that they'll bring back the entire party again as they welcome more newcomers, however I agree that Adachi, Nanba, and Saeko will likely return. I hope they will update their default movesets or give the returning characters a secondary unique job.

There's a couple that pop up from Majima construction as well. One of which I really gotta see how they translated it because its one of those "Japanese rhymes/jokes which is strikes me as something that's a nightmare to translate. Im sure the localisation team did a bang up job though, as per usual.

Oh, I didn't know that. I honestly didn't find the Majima construction activity enjoyable last time, so I skipped most of it, but this time I'm determined to really give it more of a chance and hopefully go through the whole thing. I did 100% Kiryu's Clan in 6, as I found it more fun to play that activity on the offensive than I did on the defensive.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually forget if I ever completed the last Majima COnstruction mission... its 100% optional but I dont like leaving content untouched, but it was super annoying to do, and its such a slog to play through. 6, as you said, at least you were on the offensive, and honestly felt a bit more tactical with my character hierarchy and choices.

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
Finished OG Yakuza 1 this weekend, really fun and the ending appropriately amped up in craziness. Still confused on Amazing Grace just popping up out of nowhere in the credits.

Starting on OG Yakuza 2 rn, just got to the beginning of Chapter 3. So much better feeling in combat and you can definitely tell they were laying the groundwork for the whole series with this game

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The jump from 1 to 2 combat wise is terrific. Its amazing what an (almost) year can do to really improve the game overall. As with 7 to 8 (or early DE games to LJ), give RGGS time to refine an idea, and it becomes gold. Its why I wish other devs (even those in Sega - looking at you Sonic) throw away concepts so readily for newer games. No refinement, and what you get can end up being worse than what came before lol.

Hope you enjoy 2, its a terrific game, I loved the improvements over 1 and have been wanting to replay it (and Kiwami 2 modded) for years now. But Im still on 8! One of these years...

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the Sega shop and saw that the new Digsta figure of Goro is there... for 140 euros. For a 17cm statue.
www.segashop.co.uk

Yakuza Digsta PVC Statue Goro Majima Battle Style 17 cm

LIMITED PRE-ORDER, WINDOW CLOSES 20TH MAY 2024 PRE-ORDER ITEM - EXPECTED DELIVERY DECEMBER 2024 Introducing the Yakuza Digsta PVC Statue: Goro Majima Battle Style, standing 17 cm tall! Step into the gritty underworld of the "Like A Dragon" game series with the legendary "Mad Dog of Shimano"...

The same figure (from what I can see) is 53 euros on Amiami.

Anyone here bought stuff from Ami before? Any issues with shipping, etc?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's an insane price hike... Ami Ami are "one of the good ones" in terms of importing. Ive not brought there for ages though. Only thing you'd probably need to look out for are additional postage charges (customs charges here in the UK), but its like a third of the price...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know a good way to level up jobs fast? Currently in hawaiian haunt. I'm on chapter 9 and I'd like to get more of my jobs in the mid 20 range for all members.

I have the items equipped that level up XP fast too.

Is there another vagabond run like 7?

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Restarted the series playing yakuza 0 on the ally.

I've dreamed of being able to play these games on the go!
Ive heard the Ally handles the series really well! Its great that the main series is now pretty much all available on the PC, you've got countless hours of enjoyment in your hands now!

Anybody know a good way to level up jobs fast? Currently in hawaiian haunt. I'm on chapter 9 and I'd like to get more of my jobs in the mid 20 range for all members.

I have the items equipped that level up XP fast too.

Is there another vagabond run like 7?
So I asked a similar question (though more about grinding to higher levels) and basically I was told the DLC dungeon is the best way (though that wont be available at that point in the game). I leveled up just by doing the stronger "boss" like encounters on the map and going to the more dangerous sections of the city (In Hawaii's case, its around China Town). As far as Im aware there's no super XP enemy in this game but again Ive not finished it so am not sure.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just ended up doing the haunt for a couple hours.

I'll have to try Chinatown to see if there's a big difference.

Just did a side quest with an otaku
And this dude is prejudiced as hell lol.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I got a bit further into Majima Construction and I'm actually really enjoying it this time. It just desperately needs a "speed up"-option for the segments where nothing interesting is happening. A lot of it is very hands-off. Also that bar talk shadowman mentioned was really really good! Overall, I think the villains in Majima Construction are pretty great.

Also, I played the games in the order of story, so I totally didn't catch this the first time, but the Kiryu Clan villains from 6 are in both the arena and unlockable in Majima Construction.

Btw, I always thought it was a very strange missed opportunity that we've still never been inside of the finished Kamurocho Hills. It would have fit in so well in Judgment to have a decent chunk of the main story actually take place in there. IIRC Kamuro Hills contains a shopping mall, and both apartments and offices. Would be a really nice addition to the regular Kamurocho map, and it would also make sense to actually visit it after the Purgatory and then the construction site of the Hills being built

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, I always thought it was a very strange missed opportunity that we've still never been inside of the finished Kamurocho Hills. It would have fit in so well in Judgment to have a decent chunk of the main story actually take place in there. IIRC Kamuro Hills contains a shopping mall, and both apartments and offices. Would be a really nice addition to the regular Kamurocho map, and it would also make sense to actually visit it after the Purgatory and then the construction site of the Hills being built
Ive been asking for this since 2012 lol (aka when 5 released in Japan). Best we get is exploring it in Dead Souls, as unlike 2, 4 and 5 where its only a set piece, there its at least a map where you can have a look round, albeit in a destroyed state :(

Considering we lost the Underground Mall from 4, Id LOVE to have a big shopping center to explore. 8 at least gives us the Mall to explore, and I loved that, I wish we'd get something similar for Kamurocho Hills, but after 12 odd years, Im not feeling too confident we'll get it!

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been asking for this since 2012 lol (aka when 5 released in Japan). Best we get is exploring it in Dead Souls, as unlike 2, 4 and 5 where its only a set piece, there its at least a map where you can have a look round, albeit in a destroyed state :(

Considering we lost the Underground Mall from 4, Id LOVE to have a big shopping center to explore. 8 at least gives us the Mall to explore, and I loved that, I wish we'd get something similar for Kamurocho Hills, but after 12 odd years, Im not feeling too confident we'll get it!

Yeah, especially as I don't imagine that Kamurocho will be the main location of a main RGG game again any time soon. Only way I see it being added is if we get a Gaiden-like game that centers around Kamurocho where they add Kamuro Hills to the map. I don't see Kamurocho being a big enough part of Y9 or J3 to warrant RGG adding a new part of the city.

It would have been really nice, though, to have one final big game that centers around Kamurocho, with a modern map featuring Chinatown, Kamurocho Hills, the rooftops, the underground mall and passages -- basically go all out and give a final, fully featured version of Kamurocho.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, especially as I don't imagine that Kamurocho will be the main location of a main RGG game again any time soon. Only way I see it being added is if we get a Gaiden-like game that centers around Kamurocho where they add Kamuro Hills to the map. I don't see Kamurocho being a big enough part of Y9 or J3 to warrant RGG adding a new part of the city.

It would have been really nice, though, to have one final big game that centers around Kamurocho, with a modern map featuring Chinatown, Kamurocho Hills, the rooftops, the underground mall and passages -- basically go all out and give a final, fully featured version of Kamurocho.
One final hurrah for the city, while giving us all the areas that were in earlier games (mainly 4) would be amazing. Id love to see Little Asia opened back up (its been almost 10 years at this point!)
Kinda feel like they sorta missed the best opportunity doing it with Kiryu in 8, but Im sure they can come up with another good excuse to include it again.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Well think I'm done with Kiwami. Did Haruka's requests but don't think I'll do the climax battles or finish up the completion list so my typical "most of the things" way of finishing. Always funny that I'm driven to do the unreasonable things like getting Haruka's trust to max or getting most/all of the weapons I never will use but then just don't do the second run.

Still like the game more than some of the others that may be better. Can see real tragedy there that could have been better executed if it wasn't the first in the series with no idea of how/where it would go after. There is so much story and background between Kiriyu and characters that would never appear again that I'm attached to more than later things in the series. Think a reason I resent 0 is how little it did with that stuff when there was such an opportunity for it. Oh well.

One think they really could have done better was giving the ending a second pass. Not really story or what happens but the framing and setup of it. Like giving a good reason why a guy who was willing and tried to shoot a kid and was going to kill the other 2 people there didn't after one missed shot. Just continued to stand in the open with no cover or anything. Always forget how lacking the actual conversation with Nishikiyama is as well. Like his resentments up until that point never seemed to have anything to do with Yumi but that is the only thing that was touched on there.

Anyway, figured there is never really a reason to talk about K1 so I'd give it a few words before moving on. Think the next steam sale is in June so will see how much Gaidan and 8 are going for then.