Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I actually liked his OG dub voice and thought it was cool they brought him back nearly 15 years later for 7. Wonder why he got replaced.

Apr 5, 2022
After hearing Darryl in Yakuza 7 then YongYea is suddenly Kiryu? I love Yong but come on xD How did he land this role after the Jojo one? Good luck to him but wow.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Figured they'd recast Kiryu since it was a nice nod to get the original VA for 7 but don't know if I would have wanted them for a full game.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
But... why?

They went out of their way to bring back the original Kiryu VA and he was fantastic. I really hope there was a good reason behind replacing him, because this is dumb otherwise.

EDIT:
At a guess, I imagine it's to do with the optics of a white dude voicing a Japanese man and all, even if he was Kiryu's original English VA.

Ah, that would make more sense.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
He was Pucci in JoJo, which is tragic.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
xD I expected a Jin situation where they had a japanese guy voice him, I never really saw Yong as a Yakuza fan but maybe I was wrong so this is just out of left field haha.
honestly, I'm less mad at casting decisions when it's not someone super famous like troy baker voicing a non white guy. Darryl is pretty lowkey and I liked his voice

Apr 5, 2022
At a guess, I imagine it's to do with the optics of a white dude voicing a Japanese man and all, even if he was Kiryu's original English VA.

Also Yuffie's FF7R VA is chinese right? So Yong voicing Kiryu shouldn't be an issue, I just find it weird that Kiryu got a great voice and performance in Yakuza 7 and then all of a sudden Yong just comes in and gets the role haha. I also knew him as the "David Hayter" impersonator back then in terms of voice.

Oct 25, 2017

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's still bizarre to me that these games even get English dubs. To me they're so intrinsically Japanese that I can't imagine playing them in another language.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
He is going to be playing a character in Trails Reverie also it seems.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I do not know anything about this person except where they landed in the whole gamergate situation which does not make me happy.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I've had this guy blocked on every social media space I occupy, safe to assume he's still just doing the same stuff from before but slightly more sanitized?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf lol.

To me he's still the guy who went over MGS news on YouTube

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
He was already in Lost Judgment. Kinda hard to imagine him as Kiryu, though...

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
He is (was?) an incredibly clickbaity and concern trolling-based Youtuber.

Maybe he has improved recently, but he had a period of time where it was the embodiment of what r/gamingcirclejerk made fun of.

Outrage merchant gamergater who ran to Pewdiepies defense for saying the N word under the logic that if black people say it then everyone should be allowed to

Okay, I understand people being upset about this then. Yikes.