• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be a growing problem with youtubers controlling narratives and not doing their due deligience in actual reporting. This doesn't happen often but with how the hivemind of controlling narratives seem to drive the videogame industry forward it is more important than ever to make sure you are up to date on recent developments before you upload your video and make claims and/or assumptions as you risk causing unnecessary backlashes. Case in point YongYeas new video on Halo Infinite which was purely based on a job posting that may or may not be fairly old.

This video was posted 43 minutes ago, sure it may seem fine, but 12 hours earlier this was posted by 343 Industries studie head Chris Lee...

Keep the faith, it's appreciated! We're still working through final plans and will share more when we are ready, but I can definitely say that Halo Infinite will not include real-money loot boxes.

So why did YongYea leave that out? Or did he simply not due his duediligence on properly reporting the story accurately? Do youtubers have a responsibility to do better?

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
YongYea is kinda infamous for that. I avoid most gaming YouTubers for this same reason, they immediately jump towards the hate/bad news bandwagon without allowing time for any sort of development. I understand, news can grow old if you take your time, but what if the news develops whilst you're still making your video? You should just scrap it, or edit the new information in.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this post is doing is giving this dude clicks and exposure, though.
I have no issues with some of his videos . I'm just highlighting a problem with youtube games reporting in general and I don't mind giving him clicks to highlight the issue I have with this particular story.

YongYea is kinda infamous for that. I avoid most gaming YouTubers for this same reason, they immediately jump towards the hate/bad news bandwagon without allowing time for any sort of development. I understand, news can grow old if you take your time, but what if the news develops whilst you're still making your video? You should just scrap it, or edit the new information in.
Exactly my point, and in this case he had about 12 hours to make changes to his story which he didn't even bother to do.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The disparity between good content on YT and bullshit that has made a commodity out of gamer™ outrage.
VK34ASCg.jpg

Any channe that resembles the cleanprincegaming style of Gamer™ news, Yongyea's included, is garbage and should be avoided:
2p3z5zekqht01.png

thehunter1320

Oct 25, 2017
YongYea is one of the worst offenders of this practice, but he's not unique. Wish YouTube provided a way to keep his videos (and videos from other creators like him) out of my Suggested.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
YongYea's channel is garbage. This dude sold out hard for click-bait and overly-reactionary hit-piece videos. I was an admirer of his thoughtful and thorough breakdowns on MGS and Death Stranding, but he's clearly not that guy anymore.

It was only matter of time before this behavior caught up to him. You should not be taking anything seriously from his channel.

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube actively encourages creators to pursue reactionary emotionally charged content, so material such as this is unsurprising.

Outrage drives clicks, clicks drive revenue.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
343 Industries can easily quash this rumor in a more public way, with a news post detailing their plans for post-launch revenue and giving players assurances.

YouTube is a glorified tabloid, it's always going to leech off rumors and speculation.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
343 Industries can easily quash this rumor with a news post detailing their plans for post-launch revenue and giving players assurances.
Except they are probably not in a current position to do as they may not be far in development and have released very little information on the game.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh he's not talking about lootboxes though he specifically cited a job posting that repeatedly mentioned microtransactions so the tweet has absolutely nothing to do with this video. If you're gonna accuse someone of misrepresentation you should be sure you aren't misrepresenting them first

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except they are probably not in a current position to do as they may not be far in development and have released very little information on the game.

I mean yeah, but they can still give some broad assurances, similar to what sea of thieves did.
"Cosmetics, no paid lootboxes, know what you are getting" etc.

Again, obviously this youtuber shouldn't have posted that video without doing proper research, and should retract the video.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
His "reporting" on CDPR has been a mess too and his MGS stuff was terrible.

Idk why people like him.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Damn...so fast to jump down his throat. The video didn't even mention loot boxes so this thread title is misleading. Micro-transactions aren't lootboxes.

Oct 27, 2017
99% of gaming content on youtube is garbage.

There's some good channels, like Errant Signal, Noah Caldwell-Gervais, and Super Bunnyhop, but most are just clickbait trash full of poorly researched misinformation and reactionary idiocy.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The disparity between good content on YT and bullshit that has made a commodity out of gamer™ outrage.

Any channe that resembles the cleanprincegaming style of Gamer™ news, Yongyea's included, is garbage and should be avoided:
2p3z5zekqht01.png

There is a lot of Threads here in era that would fit perfectly into this image too....

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the entire video and I'm not sure why this is misleading? He makes no reference to lootboxes, only that there will be microtransactions which is 100% going to happen.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
He doesn't deserve those clicks. 343i confirmed there won't be any loot boxes so that's that.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Content creators" such as YongYea are more poisonous and damaging to the hobby of video games than any loot box or microtransaction ever will be.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn...so fast to jump down his throat. The video didn't even mention loot boxes so this thread title is misleading. Micro-transactions aren't lootboxes.
With how gamers view the term Mico-Transaction versus Downloadable Content, it's a pretty big difirence. Most people view Micro-Transactions one in the same as Lootboxes because of how it used in these videos.

Before Lootboxes I myself never heard of the term Micro-Transaction, just DLC.

Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
hAlO WaSn'T JuSt KilLeD iT WaS MuRdErED!

But yes Yong Yea is your typical trite, clickbait youtuber, this happening genuinely doesn't surprise me.

#LootboxesResign

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I avoid gaming related YouTube news channels. This is a super common thing that needs to be done away with.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
VK34ASCg.jpg

2p3z5zekqht01.png

Jesus.Fucking.Christ...... what the fuck man, I always tell youtube to avoid this shit and does a good job most of the time but to see the actual channels, fuck I hate these channels, devoid of personality and creative content no doubt, just feeding on outrage. Fuck these guys.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
The irony of all these folks dismissing his work or channel as poorly researched when they can't even be bothered to notice that the video never mentions anything about lootboxes. Y'all should take long hard look in the mirror

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How exactly do you positively spin a Microsoft job listing that mentions "[implemtation of] microtransactions and integration of our business plan throughout the game", and "a comprehensive understanding of player psychology and what drives them to return to an experience"?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I remember this guy used to make crazy MGS theories. Shame to see he's just a Youtube gaming news channel now, which are pretty much all awful.
He's not talking about lootboxes here though, just that it's a live service game, which is a no shit topic, but hardly misleading.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
What is his personal beef with games being a live service? I don't intend to find out watching his video. I mean, it's a multiplayer game... all multiplayer games try to do that..?
Because some gamers view live service as a gimmick to rip players off. It's all about rehashing old content to them, not making new content.

They fail to realize, whether they like it or not, the market has made it clear that live service games are successful. I mean heck, who hasn't had that game when they were growing up that they wish could go on forever and keep having content released for it? That was me with Bethesda games and I view their mod platform as a live service. Socom: Confrontation as another example, but hackers ruined that game to the point where I couldn't care less if there was more content.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The irony of all these folks dismissing his work or channel as poorly researched when they can't even be bothered to notice that the video never mentions anything about lootboxes. Y'all should take long hard look in the mirror
The premise doesn't even make sense. No one in their right mind should be surprised that a 2019+ AAA shooter game is a GaaS.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I knew a brave soul would step up to cape for the YongYea, cleanprincegaming, downward thrust, and Batman dobbins of the world! Good luck to you my man.