• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
Translation done by user u/elevenmile on Reddit. Weekly Ochiai is an online talk show program done by Yoichi Ochiai.

General interview:

Sales projection interview:

Interesting tidbits:

Ochiai: This might be a weird question to ask but since you have put so much passion and effort into creating this game, when it comes to management, how do you think about the sales aspect here (read: translate it into profits and sales)? In terms of timing and your target audience and so on.

YoshiP: So when it comes to product, when I first submit my proposal, it's a given that I would attached together with the budget documentation, like this will be the platform where the game will be released, development wise it'll take a grand total of this amount, when the game will be released, the cost for marketing and PR will take this much, and the projected profit will be around this much...these will of course be included into the documentation...but I can tell you that I wouldn't want to look at the first week sales for FFXVI (laughs).

Ochiai: Like for example when it comes to movies, as movies run a duration of usually 2 hours when it comes to content, so in a way we can easily see how it performs, but when it comes to games, it takes time to complete them from start to finish so it's tougher to grasp how the behavior would change. So this is my personal thoughts on the matter but how do you approach the post-release sales period like there's a change in certain behavior, and what kind of marketing strategy would you take after the game is released?

YoshiP: When it comes to sales extension, well, this can slightly different from country to country, but when it comes to Japan, I can bring up one good example which is Slam Dunk (which is recently aired in theaters).

For the generations who are fans of the show, they would be extremely interested about it, but there was a commotion when it comes to the promotion prior to its release and this caused everyone to have doubts. But once the fans watched the movie, they'd go "You better watch this movie!", or they'd go recommend those who haven't watch the movie but expressed interest in it and nothing beats that kind of attraction when it comes to what PR can do even today. Though as for me, I'd go back to my roots, and convey properly on how the game has been made and released properly, and if people find the game interesting, streamers from all around the world who will be streaming this game will convey their comments and the louder those voices are, then it might encourage others who hasn't buy the game yet to give it a try, purchase a PS5 along. Another thing I've realized that younger generations don't tend to be particular about the release date, and tend to based their purchase on what's popular within their community circles, and what everyone is playing. In fact this is what happened when it comes to Apex, Fortnite, and this is definitely what the trend is heading towards today, so what I did is to make estimations on budget, lay out the plan saying "FFXVI is coming out", and made simple approach to try getting the shop to convince gamers to get FFXVI together with their PS5 purchase. Therefore this time, I've laid out a plan on sales that would last about 18 months.※2 Even when looking at the ownership ratio for PS5, there's no mistake that there will a drop in absolute ratio rather than looking at the games that are released for both PS4 and PS5.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'm not sure what to expect from FF16 sales tbh, but I figured it would sell pretty well. That comment sounds like he's seen preorder numbers might not be as high as he had hoped?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
No surprise their sales plan is longer term considering it was meant to release way earlier in the consoles lifecycle, so the initial pitch would have been accounting for that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I wouldnt read too much into worries of sales, its pretty normal to be worried of that pre release as the director, because there will always be thoughts of "what if".
AKA "we're going to release narrative DLC to refresh the sales after about a year".
they've already said they wouldnt release DLC for it though, no?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah sounds like he's basically saying what we're seeing from the pre-order situation in Japan. It's not looking very impressive, it's going to need a good WoM and a good tail to reach expected sales.

OP
OP
oty

oty

Feb 28, 2023
I wouldnt read too much into worries of sales, its pretty normal to be worried of that pre release.

they dont have DLC planned. It depends if the game is well reviewed, etc afaik

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I wouldnt read too much into worries of sales, its pretty normal to be worried of that pre release as the director, because there will always be thoughts of "what if".

A more recent comment made their "no dlc" stance seem a lot softer than I had initially interpreted. I think they're just really trying to push the message that the base game is a complete product on its own after what happened with XV.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yea, the pre-order situation in Japan isn't good right now. Might not be a large launch there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They've already said they have no plans for DLC at the moment.

That statement just exists to stop people from worrying that there's stuff "cut out to make room for DLC" the way that false narrative infested FFXV. It's about making people consider the launch version of the game a complete product.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It'll probably be both. There's absolutely no way in hell this game launches and NEVER gets DLC. That's simply not how AAA games are made anymore. If it's successful, they will do DLC, and nobody should be surprised when it's announced.
I mean it's definitely probable that some kind of DLC happens but I'm not going to assume big narrative DLC is confirmed or anything. There are still games without it like God of War. But having some released alongside the PC version does make sense.

They already said not to expect PC port for a while (even tho it's only exclusive for 6 months), I can't imagine the PC sales being too crazy after such a delay.
I assume "for awhile" includes within 18 months.

Kiryu

Jun 23, 2022
It'll probably be both. There's absolutely no way in hell this game launches and NEVER gets DLC. That's simply not how AAA games are made anymore. If it's successful, they will do DLC, and nobody should be surprised when it's announced.

it could be a dlc for another character. the plan is for clive's story to conclude within the base game

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm going to believe what he actually said instead of calling him a liar for absolutely no reason. lol

He's not lying, "no current plans" just means "we aren't going to talk about that right now" in developer speak. How many times does Nintendo tell us they have "no current plans" for new hardware and then announce new hardware a month later? It's empty business speak.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
He's not lying, "no current plans" just means "we aren't going to talk about that right now" in developer speak. How many times does Nintendo tell us they have "no current plans" for new hardware and then announce new hardware a month later? It's empty business speak.

That's calling lying.

Which, again, if you want to believe he's lying, you do you. But I believe him when he says there are currently no DLC plans.

the toxic "they cut FFXV up to sell it back to us in pieces as DLC" narrative.

Also, I don't think this was actually a thing.

XV was criticized for feeling unfinished but I don't remember many accusations that they purposefully shipped it unfinished to sell as DLC.

OP
OP
oty

oty

Feb 28, 2023
I haven't pre-ordered it yet. I'm sure I probably will within 18 months.
lmao, depending on when you do it you might have to change it to just "order" !

worries about first week sales, suits make it a temp exclusive for 1 platform

lol
he's...."worried" about fw sales specially because of that. like, did you read the rest of the interview?

Even when looking at the ownership ratio for PS5, there's no mistake that there will a drop in absolute ratio rather than looking at the games that are released for both PS4 and PS5.

that's why most japanese games release on both PS4 and PS5 (resident evil, street fighter, armored core, etc)

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Japan preorders are bollocks if Comg is anything to go by. Hopefully the west will make up for it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
XV was criticized for feeling unfinished but I don't remember many accusations that they purposefully shipped it unfinished to sell as DLC.

There was A LOT of handwringing about stuff like the bros being playable, and entire chunks of the story being chopped out to be sold as DLC. It was an extremely extremely loud point of argument.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Japenese sales are going to be a disaster, even taking account the general decline of the IP there, looking at how software sell there since 2 years I wouldn't want to look at it either, haha.
I got turned off by XV as well, game was incomplete, had to get DLCs trying to finish the story and they didn't even finish those, I got my Platinum at launch month and never played it again.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There was A LOT of handwringing about stuff like the bros being playable, and entire chunks of the story being chopped out to be sold as DLC. It was an extremely extremely loud point of argument.

Nah, I don't think so.

The game was criticized for being unfinished. Any sort of conspiracy theory that it was purposefully unfinished so that the rest could be sold as DLC? Maybe a couple people on gaming forums said something of the sort but that doesn't amount to a widely held belief.

But back on topic: I believe them when they say they have no DLC plans for this. That doesn't mean there won't be DLC, of course.

PolygonalDude

Banned
Mar 1, 2022
That studio in general are known for cutting corners. Forspoken felt unfinished to me too just like FFXV. It felt like huge chunks of it were sectioned off

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like if you sign an exclusivity deal of any kind you kinda forfeit the right to have any complaints about said game's performance, for the entire life of the game and all subsequent platforms it releases on. That is the cost of making something an exclusive with delayed releases on other platforms, you are losing interest and sales later on by locking it down upfront in most cases.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
One of the quotes mentioning that the recent answer about numbered titles was more nuanced than what was actually reported.

Ah yeah, so I got a question from overseas media asking me when I was being interviewed asking if there was a discussion of doing away the numbering format for Final Fantasy titles, and I answered "yes I did" but somehow this led to voices being spread that Yoshida wants to do away with FF numbering format for titles in the future, and I gotta say no that's not what it is!

So I am doing a lot of PR things for 16 (FF16), there are people in their 20s, and those young media (consumers or journalists) who hasn't played a single FF title before. So indeed...I asked them why don't they play FF then? And I also did marketing research as well as talked to the players and gamers around the world. They told "Eh, so I have to play FF1 right? Like I don't have the time for it!" and I went, "No, no that's not the case!" And indeed you were right, as there are several foreign/western games that stopped using numbering on their long running franchise and switched to using subtitle format, but ultimately, well this is a debate I did take part, but there are a lot spinoff titles for Final Fantasy, right? Therefore, sure we can take the numbering off, but this will make it look like it's a spinoff and that is an actually difficult thing to do. And for most fans they are quite proud of the FF titles they like that are numbered and so it's not an easy thing to do, which is why we just went with it for 16. But somehow that part was all omitted and somehow they made it sound like I wanted to do away the numbering (laughs)! But since you asked, I figure this would be a good chance for me to bring it up and explain it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, depending on when you do it you might have to change it to just "order" !

he's...."worried" about fw sales specially because of that. like, did you read the rest of the interview?

that's why most japanese games release on both PS4 and PS5 (resident evil, street fighter, armored core, etc)

i know im just referring to how square enix keeps fucking over there games with these exclusivity deals for a quick buck.

OP
OP
oty

oty

Feb 28, 2023
I feel like if you sign an exclusivity deal of any kind you kinda forfeit the right to have any complaints about said game's performance, for the entire life of the game and all subsequent platforms it releases on. That is the cost of making something an exclusive with delayed releases on other platforms, you are losing interest and sales later on by locking it down upfront in most cases.
it's not just exclusivity, it's PS5 exclusivity. Japan has a very big PS5 software issue, and FF isn't exactly at the best spot in their history in Japan either

i know im just referring to how square enix keeps fucking over there games with these exclusivity deals for a quick buck.
FFVIIR did it and Square considered it a financial success, so yeah, it's not that

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
yeah the metrics for this game don't look that good to assume it will be bigger than XV or Remake. Also will most likely have a weaker launch than those titles (Japan guaranteed)

What matters now the most is word of mouth:
High Scores, great reviews, GOTY Contender discussion are the big hope right now to make it a hot topic.
Because if this game doesn't sell better than Remake and 15, i am not sure what else they would want to do in the future with the franchise.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese sales thread should be fun

Going to be the worst selling physical sales FF in Japan and will have hope we also get DD sales from there.
To get the full idea of the number .

yeah the metrics for this game don't look that good to assume it will be bigger than XV or Remake. Also will most likely have a weaker launch than those titles (Japan guaranteed)

High Scores, great reviews, GOTY Contender discussion are the big hope right now to make it a hot topic.
Because if this game doesn't sell better than Remake and 15, i am not sure what else they would want to do in the future with the franchise.

They will just depend more on the west .
Capcom show how small sales in Japan don't mean much if you can hit it off in the west .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Dropping exclusivity to a platform that has absolutely no future in Japan would probably help.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm just here for the pre-rendered statement.

Does XVI have an opening CGI cutscene from visual works? I hope so. I want to see those visuals in a medieval style cause XVs was very minimal.

OP
OP
oty

oty

Feb 28, 2023
Dropping exclusivity to a platform that has absolutely no future in Japan would probably help.
they are taking the risk that the lack of sales in Japan will be made up by the increase of sales in the West, so I don't think it's that.

Right now, that is unknown (with a positive outlook, since that happened with XV and VIIR) which is why he's wary I presume. But I don't think Square makes up those decisions based on Japanese Market. It's been on decline for FF for a while now

I'm just here for the pre-rendered statement.

Does XVI have an opening CGI cutscene from visual works? I hope so. I want to see those visuals in a medieval style cause XVs was very minimal.
he only mentions that in-game, there is one pre-rendered cutscene because they had to do it that way