• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your reaction?

• My anxiety is rising and I don't know what to do

Votes: 26 4.6%
  • Kindly switch lanes and give him way, I don't want no beef

Votes: 239 41.9%
  • Fuck this motherfucker, stay in your lane

Votes: 305 53.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Bonus points if the truck has high level custom wheels with large rims.

I bring this up because I fucking hate being infront of these douchebags. I know I am generalizing quite a bit here, but 99% of the time it has been a bad experience. Two times, I was tailgated for no reason other than because I couldn't give them the right of way quickly enough? Other times, as they pass by they make it loud and obnoxious. Do they fucking hate seeing me driving an SUV with kids or what?

Is there a factory that produces these drivers? They all look fucking same and those snowboarding shades they wear are so ridiculous.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If there's two lanes and I'm going slower than the person who pulls up behind me, I get over to let them pass regardless of what kind of car it is or who they are. I generally get tailgaited equally by various types of cars... and it ain't worth it for me to care anymore.

My street is a busy street, thickly settled, 30mph speed limit around my house, 35 a little further out, and 40mph as you go into the less thickly settled areas. But people routinely treat it like their personal expressway, and so I love sitting firmly on the 30-33mph speed as people go ballistic behind me, and I'm like, fuck it, people live here, there's schools and retirement homes, it's not your personal highway. If a guy in a pickup is flying down my street and ends up behind me, I'm making that dude wait.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
If I'm doing speed limit + 5 and this kind of douche starts tailgating me, I will slow down to the speed limit. I gave you +5 and it wasn't good enough, so now you get nothing. You don't like it, pass me if you can. IDGAF.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The kind of drivers that can't stand people in front of them no matter how fast they're going. I have done 88-90 mph in a 70 in the fast lane and still have assholes like this go around me like i belong in the right lane

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I'll slow down just enough to match speed with the car beside me. Jackass gonna tailgate me, you're gonna be stuck back there ya dick!

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm doing speed limit + 5 and this kind of douche starts tailgating me, I will slow down to the speed limit. I gave you +5 and it wasn't good enough, so now you get nothing. You don't like it, pass me if you can. IDGAF.
This is me as well. If I'm going 7 over and you can't stay off my ass, I'm going to fuck with you. I shouldn't, but I have a hard time stopping myself.

I feel bad because I drive an F-150. I don't drive it like an asshole though, so hopefully I'm not stressing people out.

Nov 9, 2017
I hate these people, but I just get out of the way as soon as possible. Almost as annoying are the entry level BMW and Audi drivers that like to speed and weave through traffic.

This is a terrible mindset. Don't play games on the freeway. Also the left lane is a passing lane so any slower traffic should move over to the right if possible. You may be right in principle, but you are making the road more dangerous for everybody else.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Stop going so slow? Go into the right lane if you don't want people to catch up to you.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is an incredibly shitty thing to say about someone's race and appearance, jesus christ.

You got tailgated twice while driving. It happens.
No it doesn't "happen". It's not fun getting tailgated with your family in the car, and if you're a PoC like me, it is insanely stressful. Fuck outta here.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I hate these people, but I just get out of the way as soon as possible. Almost as annoying are the entry level BMW and Audi drivers that like to speed and weave through traffic.

This is a terrible mindset. Don't play games on the freeway. Also the left lane is a passing lane so any slower traffic should move over to the right if possible. You may be right in principle, but you are making the road more dangerous for everybody else.

Asshat is tailgating me while I'm doing speed limit + 5, and *I'm* the one making the road more dangerous? I don't think so, chief.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is strange because most suvs I've been behind the windows are tinted slightly so you can't see who is driving let alone know the race of the driver or occupants.

I seriously doubt anyone is doing this to you intentionally based on anything other than you going too slow in the fast lane. Which is still an asshole thing to do, the tailgating part, but don't be in the fast lane holding up traffic.

But this isn't my lived experience so maybe I'm using my privilege as a white person to make generalizations.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
No it doesn't "happen". It's not fun getting tailgated with your family in the car, and if you're a PoC like me, it is insanely stressful. Fuck outta here.
I don't think I've ever driven on the road without being tailgated at least once per trip. Like, what idyllic empty countryside do you live in that being tailgated twice has you on the internet getting ready to generalize an entire race of people and insult their physical appearance because they happened to pull up behind you?

Because you're getting tail gated enough to make a thread about it? Unless you got tail gated once and was super upset about it for some reason.
They said in the OP it's only happened twice and they now judge all white drivers because of it.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Stop going so slow? Go into the right lane if you don't want people to catch up to you.
There's a difference between somebody catching up to you and tailgating you. If you're in a truck and all I can see is your fuckin' grill, you need to back the fuck off. Somebody catches up to me but leaves me plenty of space, sure, I'll get over in a heartbeat, but I don't need to feel like a bug on your headlights.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Because you're getting tail gated enough to make a thread about it? Unless you got tail gated once and was super upset about it for some reason.
Back when I commuted I'd regularly get tailgated even though I was going 120 km/h in a 100 km/h zone. It was usually some massive douche in an Audi or BMW though. The pickup truck guys tend to tailgate on smaller highways and city streets.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Depends what lane you're in. If it's the left lane then get out of the way. That's the passing lane.

If you're in the right side lane then they should go around you.

Nov 9, 2017
Asshat is tailgating me while I'm doing speed limit + 5, and *I'm* the one making the road more dangerous? I don't think so, chief.

If you are intentionally keeping people from passing you on a freeway you are a dangerous driver. Speed limit + 5 isn't a license to camp out in the passing lane. You need to be actively passing people while in the passing lane or if not get the heck over.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Hope I drive past a Walmart, so he can pull in and make a Youtube video where he rants about Fauci

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
if you are in a passing lane (and driving with the flow of that lane) just move over once you have a chance if someone is riding you. don't slow down and don't escalate the aggression. my only pro-tip is to get that blinker on a little earlier than usual when trying to move out of the way of a tailgater so they don't do that shit where they weave into the slow lane to pass you.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I always let people pass, if possible, if they start tailgating. Doesn't matter if I'm going 90 in a 70, if someone behind me wants to go 100 then so be it, so I let them through. Not worth my energy.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I keep driving because it's Monday in America. Always a guy like that driving, lmao. What am I supposed to do? Wilt?

Disclaimer: Lane rules apply. But in single lane roads? He'll live.

Woiwode

Banned
Sep 18, 2019
Do they look like this?
d7j3raryn3p21.jpg

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Why not just move to the right lane? You sound bitter..
People could have all kinds of reasons to go fast. Maybe there's an emergency somewhere.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a weird thread. If you're going slower than someone coming up in passing lane you move over.

In fact, if you aren't actively passing someone you shouldn't even be in the passing lane.

Someone coming up on you isn't necessarily a bad person, they are just going faster than you.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
If I am in the passing lane, I move over when I can. Passing lane is for fat traffic, if I am going to slow, it is my bad.

If I am in a slow lane going the average speed, fuck off, stop tailgating, and go around.

If I am going slow, even for the slow lane- I get off the highway and take surface roads.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I don't even flash my lights at the Fulkerson driving 24/7 with brights on anymore because of road rage so yes I'll let them through if they are going faster than me.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Are you all in the left lane or something? Just get over. No reason to contribute to this road rage shit. Shouldn't be hanging out in the left lane anyway.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Someone coming up on you isn't necessarily a bad person, they are just going faster than you.
People could have all kinds of reasons to go fast. Maybe there's an emergency somewhere.
There's a big difference between fast and faster than you and tailgating. I've been known to be tailgated by people who are actually wanting to drive SLOWER than me given no traffic, but they still tailgate me because the people in front of me are going to slow and/or won't get over.

There is NEVER an excuse for tailgating.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
If you are intentionally keeping people from passing you on a freeway you are a dangerous driver. Speed limit + 5 isn't a license to camp out in the passing lane. You need to be actively passing people while in the passing lane or if not get the heck over.
Congratulations, you win this round of "jumping to conclusions"

Who said anything about a passing lane?
Who said anything about a freeway?

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
There's a big difference between fast and faster than you and tailgating. I've been known to be tailgated by people who are actually wanting to drive SLOWER than me given no traffic, but they still tailgate me because the people in front of me are going to slow and/or won't get over.

There is NEVER an excuse for tailgating.
The thread isn't about tailgating, though. OP said they were only tailgated twice, the thread is literally just saying "a white person pulls up behind you, how do you react?". They bring up tailgating as a justification for why they don't trust the white people pulling up behind them, but they haven't done it yet in the situation OP wants us to react to. This whole thing is stupid. If it was just about how you react to tailgaters, it'd be a better thread.