• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-76/fallout-76-beta-uninstall?tw=pcgn_ne

Players who have installed the Fallout 76 beta on their PCs are finding that they cannot uninstall it unless they buy the full game. Upon right-clicking on the beta file in the folder and prompting the uninstall process, the Bethesda.net launcher brings up a message that disallows the process, with no way around it currently.

"You do not have access to this game," reads the message. "Please check to make sure you are signed in with the Bethesda.net account associated with the purchase of this game."

Whether this is a mistake that will soon be rectified by Bethesda or a tactic employed by the developer to encourage players to buy the full game is not yet known. You can see one player demonstrating how the uninstall process is blocked by the Bethesda.net app over on Reddit.

Interesting strategy. Though the article doesn't make it clear if you could just delete the directory.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you had to have bought the game to play the beta anyway right?

Unless I'm mistaken, which is always possible.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went to check this, and fortunately I had the deletion bug where my game was deleted... Still had 56GB of installers though.

Seems I got lucky with that bug

I thought you had to have bought the game to play the beta anyway right?

Unless I'm mistaken, which is always possible.

You did, but those pre-orders didn't come with a retail CD key at the time. So if you cancelled your pre-order after playing, you can't uninstall now.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Whether this is a mistake that will soon be rectified by Bethesda or a tactic employed by the developer to encourage players to buy the full game is not yet known.

You have to either be incredibly stupid or believe Bethesda to be incredibly stupid to assume this actually drives sales in any meaningful capacity.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
its most definitely a bug, and i really really doubt you cant just delete the files through windows explorer or through add or remove programs

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
its most definitely a bug, and i really really doubt you cant just delete the files through windows explorer or through add or remove programs

You can't through add/remove programs. See the embedded video in the OP.

I'd rather have a clean uninstall than just nuke files.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
8da.png

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit Bethesda...On a side note I have been playing through Fallout 4 and I don't know what it is about that game but I'm having a hard time caring enough to finish it. I loved all teh other Fallout's but 4 is boring as hell.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gosh this game is just getting more and more annoying. Next thing you know there'll be a monthly subscription and they'll create a remake of Fallout 1 and 2 to justify the lore in this one.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just delete the folder.
It's clearly a bug and not some evil tactic to lure you into buying the game?!

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
What a shit show of a game what a scummy way to try to sell a half made game. But because is Bethesda they get a free pass from many media outlets. We'll see the reviews.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
You have to either be incredibly stupid or believe Bethesda to be incredibly stupid to assume this actually drives sales in any meaningful capacity.

I do believe that it is a bug, but allow me to say that I sometimes believe Bethesda is incredibly stupid, judging by their decisions.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Obviously a bug, but still funny nonetheless. They keep on giving.

For people that haven't experienced a Bethesda game at launch and wonder why they're so notorious for bugs, this game is a great example :)

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I actually deleted the game after my session. Bethesda client continues to show that the extra 30% does wonders to their own platform.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This only makes it more annoying when Todd and co step up on stage and try and play the "we make buggy games, or so we hear?!" meme.

It's not a joke, it's a bad look. You make broken software in a world where other companies are hauling ass to make solid experiences.

It's time to step up, Bethesda.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Do they not test this things internally?

Do they not have a test regime for all critical tasks?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never stops. It never stops. I fucking love it. Everyone knows what is coming and everyone just watches.

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
There's not one piece of dialogue in that report that suggests this is intentional.

Let's lynch though!

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
It is unbelievable just how big a disaster F76 is. Like, how can you even f**k things up this bad?