Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nah no problem with mods or cheating. What's dumb is cheating because you want to show Ubi up for adding micros. That's stupid and why would Ubi give a fuck? It's your game experience!

If that's how someone wants to utilize trainers/cheats, more power to them. I don't care. Whether I think it's dumb or not is irrelevant.

And Ubisoft might care if they think it's costing them potential revenue.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Why would anyone want to skip that is really beyond me, I can only repeat that people who just want to know the absolutely barebone story should probably watch a recap video on YT or read the synopsis on Wiki instead of buying the game.
Why anyone would care how others play a single player game is the better question here. It doesn't affect you at all.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't pirate a game you already paid for. All a trainer does is manipulate values in the game, again that you paid for (this needs to be emphasized) to give you a boost or make things harder. It's tinkering with the code of the game itself.

Besides I don't think any company would want to challenge something like this in court because it would force them to admit they twist things to try and "encourage" people to buy MTX.

Quoting myself from the other page:

Eeehhhh...I'm not so sure about that.

Software, especially non-gaming software, quite often deploys the full package but you only get access to what you have paid for. You then pay more to get access to that capability, and it unlocks without reinstalling. Circumventing that is considered both illegal and immoral. I see no difference from that to this.

That's not to say that Ubisoft isn't acting scummy and money-grabbing, but people should vote with their wallets rather than modifying the code to access what they didn't pay for - however shitty.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
If that's how someone wants to utilize trainers/cheats, more power to them. I don't care. Whether I think it's dumb or not is irrelevant.

And Ubisoft might care if they think it's costing them potential revenue.
How would not participating in an additional revenue stream outside of the purchase of the game cost Ubi soft money?

Also this thread is not about having the freedom to use cheats in whatever way they choose, this thread is about using cheats to ??? Ubisoft.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Why anyone would care how others play a single player game is the better question here. It doesn't affect you at all.

No, it doesn't, but these complaints are silly. It's as if I expected Bloodborne to be casual arcade or something. This is the genre. If you have a problem with something that is fucking integral to the genre, that's completely okay, play something else that's more enjoyable for you. But if you start complaining about cars in racing game or tough fights in Soulslike or shooting in Doom or goddamn quests in an RPG, that's entirely your problem.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I don't know, since the inception of the open world RPG genre? Dragon Age had it. Witcher 3 had it. Origins had it (and that wasn't even a RPG). Curiously enough, no one was this butthurt or shocked by the concept then.
Do you only mean Dragon Age Inquisition? Dragon age 1 and 2 enemies scale to your level, but Dragon Age Inquisition require you to do side zone tasks (closing rifts, collecting power points) to advance in the story and people really didn't like that, since doing a lot of the tasks was boring. DA Inquisition also have varying enemy levels in the open zones, and dragons do not scale, so it's best to fight them for a good fight at particular levels when you can get to them usually, otherwise they could be too easy.

In Dragon Age 1 and 2 I would save good fights like dragons for when I was far into the main mission because I wanted to savor the fights saving right before I begin so I could do it multiple times. Enemies in FFXII don't scale but I make and keep a save right before good long fights so I can jump to them too.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
What's currently the cheapest way to get the PC version? Best I'm seeing at the moment is GMG for $51. I don't have an AMD card so buying a promo code won't work for me.

Ocelott

Oct 25, 2017
Wut.

You absolutely do need to do the side quests in Dragon Age and The Witcher, otherwise the main story will out level you. The Witcher 3 specifically, has recommended levels for *all* of the quests in the game, and if you're underleveled you can and most likely will be killed in one shot, not to mention that you'll barely be able to scratch an enemy because you do less damage when under leveled.

Origins/Odyssey are RPG's. You're expected to do the side quests.
I had less issues with that in Dragon Age then In the last two AC games. Fallout side quests never seem like a chore to me so that is probably why I never ran into a leveling issue but I thought the level of the enemies scaled with you. I think the issue is maybe AC side quests aren't as interesting to play for me and I want other alternative this the best one out.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Copyright does extend to DLC, but if the data is already present on your drive, then you can't really be violating copyright. The legal concern there would be anti-DRM circumvention laws, but AFAIK there's no legal precedent for these scenarios there.
I don't know legal stuff, but this AC case seem exactly the same than the F2P cases I mentioned (from the company where I did work, but I'd bet many other F2P companies also do it) where you modify the game memory to get for free stuff that it's being sold in-game with microtransactions. So if it did work for us, I think it also would work for AC.

It should be pretty common because at least in Youtube they had a form to make easier to claim it from many videos at the same time, to automate it in some way and avoid making all the process with each video. I did it with 50-100 videos per month (the volume of these videos is pretty crazy, search any popular mobile F2P game in Youtube adding "hack", "cheat", "free gold/gems") and only a portion of them reached to the point I needed to post there the legal team stuff.

Again, not sure/don't remember how they were suing them. I'd say that it wasn't copyright, or at least copyright only. I wasn't involved in the legal part.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

But what if it hurts my sensibilities? They're not playing the game the way I want to, damn it!

Quoting myself from the other page:

If the Nintendo case holds up in this instance, I don't believe it's illegal. You're not unlocking Ubisoft's boosters, you're using other software to achieve similar results.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Do you only mean Dragon Age Inquisition? Dragon age 1 and 2 enemies scale to your level, but Dragon Age Inquisition require you to do side zone tasks (closing rifts, collecting power points) to advance in the story and people really didn't like that, since doing a lot of the tasks was boring. DA Inquisition also have varying enemy levels in the open zones, and dragons do not scale, so it's best to fight them for a good fight at particular levels when you can get to them usually, otherwise they could be too easy.

In Dragon Age 1 and 2 I would save good fights like dragons for when I was far into the main mission because I wanted to savor the fights saving right before I begin so I could do it multiple times. Enemies in FFXII don't scale but I make and keep a save right before good long fights so I can jump to them too.

Yeah, Inquisition, since that was the first proper open world in the series.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No, it doesn't, but these complaints are silly. It's as if I expected Bloodborne to be casual arcade or something. This is the genre. If you have a problem with something that is fucking integral to the genre, that's completely okay, play something else that's more enjoyable for you. But if you start complaining about cars in racing game or tough fights in Soulslike or shooting in Doom or goddamn quests in an RPG, that's entirely your problem.
What is it that's integral to the genre? It's not doing side quests, it's not grinding. Killing enemies? Gaining levels and abilities? Story? A dungeon master?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
How would not participating in an additional revenue stream outside of the purchase of the game cost Ubi soft money?

Also this thread is not about having the freedom to use cheats in whatever way they choose, this thread is about using cheats to ??? Ubisoft.

I said "they THINK" it's costing them money much in the same way companies think piracy is a zero-sum game.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
My point was when there was a suggestion for a difficulty setting in DS/SB, there was overwhelming rejection of the notion saying that it wouldn't be in From Software's vision of the game. However, in this scenario Ubi is supposed to let the players play the game they want to play at the pace the want to play.
But they do by selling exp boost. Ubisoft does that.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Hmm that's some insight there you have into the inner workings of Ubisoft. Something tells me they are doing just fine as this game is setting records.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really play that many PC games these days but you can find nearly anything here http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=9cf50310714a425ea6bce00790297fa5
Trainers are still pretty common but there's always a risk of a trainer having malware hooks in them. Cheat Engine is a much better alternative IMO.
Thanks.

Cheat Engine kinda sounds like what Cheat-O-Matic was back in the days. A program that let you basically change the value in any games. Maybe that isnt as easy in these days, but ultimately being one program that works for many games for cheating, not needing one specific trainer for each game.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.

Cheat Engine kinda sounds like what Cheat-O-Matic was back in the days. A program that let you basically change the value in any games. Maybe that isnt as easy in these days, but ultimately being one program that works for many games for cheating, not needing one specific trainer for each game.

You're right on cheat engine, but the best thing is it has a huge community and multiple websites with dedicated users creating game-specific cheat engine files. The same fearless revolution link above has a full dedicated cheat engine .ct file section too, so you can always just hop on in and see what other people have made.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What is it that's integral to the genre? It's not doing side quests, it's not grinding. Killing enemies? Gaining levels and abilities? Story? A dungeon master?

Yeah it is absolutely doing side content to level up so you can tackle the main story.
You can argue, you can disagree, but that's pretty much all you can do about it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But what if it hurts my sensibilities? They're not playing the game the way I want to, damn it!

If the Nintendo case holds up in this instance, I don't believe it's illegal. You're not unlocking Ubisoft's boosters, you're using other software to achieve similar results.

Certainly in professional software when you pay for it you pay for the functionality, not access to the code (unless access to the code is explicitly defined as part of the functionality). Afaik that's no different with games.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
But modifying this existing code you are accessing to paid content in the same way I assume you do it to access DLC or other microtransaction content included in-game. I also assume Ubi would have their game stuff copyrighted, but I don't know if they also copyright their DLC/MTX items.
I don't know how much clearer I can make this distinction.
Modifying existing code and cracking the game and DLC are two wildly different things.
Modifiying existing code, i.e. trainers, mods, etc are perfectly legal.
Stealing the game or DLC is illegal, because the code and assets are copyrighted. If you pirate a skin or other microtransaction, you stole a copyrighted asset (the model/texture) without paying for it. Copyright violation. Stealing an expansion involves copyright violation of assets, code, etc. Illegal.
Setting the XP to whatever you want is legal. You can modify software you've purchased however you like. Ubisoft is selling a simple modification you can do yourself in 1 minute to make a quick buck. If you stole Ubisoft's code to do this, that'd be illegal, as that code is copyrighted. Doing it yourself via Cheat Engine or a trainer is perfectly legal.
If the trainer activated access to the XP boost found in the store, that would be illegal. It's not doing that. It's doing it yourself in a separate manner. Making your own sandwich at home isn't illegal just because the grocery store sells an identical sandwich.
Yes, they obviously have copyright on all of their DLC. No DLC is being stolen. It's NOT PIRACY. None of Ubisoft's code or assets is used in the trainer. It's building their own software to do something legal, but also the publisher is putting out a product to compete with that.

Let me try using a real world example: you're saying that it's illegal to perform repairs on your own house, and that you should be legally required to hire someone to do it. It's your house, you can do what you want with it. It would be illegal if you stole a handyman's tools to do the repair, but you aren't, you're using your own tools. Just because a handyman can do it for $10 doesn't mean you have to hire him. If the tools used perform repairs are legally yours, you can peform your own repairs on a house you bought. No, even if you bought the house from the handyman, it doesn't mean you're legally obligated to pay him to do it for you. Yes, stealing new stuff (content) for your house from the handyman is illegal, but you aren't doing that, you're modifying your existing house.

I'm not sure you understand the difference on a technical level. If you still don't get it, I'd like to ask you what specifically you think is being stolen.

In addition to this, we also shut down websites and videos that were advertising these game hacking tools. I sent lists of urls to our legal team every month and I don't know how, but sooner or later they kept shutting down many of them (other weren't possible, don't remember the details but I think it was due to the country where they had the servers, company or something like that).

In addition to this, in Youtube I was the guy who selected the videos explaining how to download and use these cheat/hack tools to get paid content to be shut down. If the user didn't claim back these videos were shut down, if the user claimed back then I copypasted there in the youtube form some stuff made by or legal team showing some legal info saying that we were going to sue him. It was many years ago so I don't remember the exact details.
Sending DMCA takedowns and C&Ds are not the same as suing someone for copyright infringement, at all. They're threats to sue, and they'd probably be for trademark infringement (i.e. using your game's name/brand in a way you don't like) rather than for copyright
infringement (they aren't stealing your code, assets, etc).

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is absolutely doing side content to level up so you can tackle the main story.
You can argue, you can disagree, but that's pretty much all you can do about it.
Some of the best rpgs don't require grinding or require you to do side missions. A lot do but it's not integral to the genre.

If Obsidian continue to make RPGs in the style of the one's it's been making, and devs like Larian with Divinity OS, then they may make a rpg with no grind for Microsoft, and no gated main mission like their other games. It's not integral.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
What's currently the cheapest way to get the PC version? Best I'm seeing at the moment is GMG for $51. I don't have an AMD card so buying a promo code won't work for me.

try changing your steam store to Russia and buy it for 30$ and if you are afraid for your account (which you shouldn't be, i'm doing this for more than 3 years and i had no problem) you can create a new account and family share it with your main account.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I am surprised this is an issue. You don't even have to grind to keep pacein the game. Leveling in this game is not different from other RPGs I have played and really not a grind.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Some of the best rpgs don't require grinding or require you to do side missions. A lot do but it's not integral to the genre.

If Obsidian continue to make RPGs in the style of the one's it's been making, and devs like Larian with Divinity OS, then they may make a rpg with no grind for Microsoft, and no gated main mission like their other games. It's not integral.

Some of the best RPGs are also not open world games. I can't tell if you genuinely keep missing the point or intentionally shifting the narrative.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I do think there is some merit to the idea of questing over endlessly killing enemies to level, as it does push the player to experience some of the better content that they might normally disregard entirely.

But they really shouldn't gate the main story at all. Many of the "sidequests" easily could've been integrated as mandatory as they feature prominent characters and storylines alluded to during the main journey. They wouldn't have been any more out of place than a typical GTA story mission, and a lot of the main quests push you to do random favors for the key NPCs' friends anyway!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
try changing your steam store to Russia and buy it for 30$ and if you are afraid for your account (which you shouldn't be, i'm doing this for more than 3 years and i had no problem) you can create a new account and family share it with your main account.
Just a heads up, but I think it's frowned upon to encourage to something like that here. Atleast threads dedicated to Switch regional pricing get locked for that reason.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
But nothing is being unlocked. The trainer is directly modifying the XP that the player gets. Not activating the XP boost from the store.

And current legal precedent says that just modifying available code is not breaking copyright.
How would it be if it was for currency you can buy with real money and then use that currency for items in game? Would that change the scenario to be much murkier?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
How would it be if it was for currency you can buy with real money and then use that currency for items in game? Would that change the scenario to be much murkier?

That's an open question because premium currency wasn't a thing when the first anti- cheat lawsuits came out.

It haven't been legally tested.

But one key point is that Companies are adamant that premium currency after it has been bought, has no actual monetary value. So it would interasting for them to claim both that there is a legal issue and that it has no monetary value.

They could easily ban you for it, but going after the trainer makers legally? A entirely different story.

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
The law hasn't caught up to that yet, but I think it'd be hard for companies to win; US consumers have a clear right to modify their software, if the currency is only modified locally (otherwise you'd have to hack into their servers, clearly illegal), you'd have the right to modify it. It's tricky because you're not stealing the files that add the currency, you're changing it on your own. Stealing the code that adds currency (i.e. what you buy on the store) would be obvious copyright infringement, while changing it on your own would be no different than a mod for Skyrim.
Obviously the publisher can ban you if they want, but I'm not sure if you could be successfully sued for copyright infringement.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But nothing is being unlocked. The trainer is directly modifying the XP that the player gets. Not activating the XP boost from the store.

And current legal precedent says that just modifying available code is not breaking copyright.

If you buy Windows Home Edition, and you modify the code to unlock Professional functionality, is that legal?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That's an open question because premium currency wasn't a thing when the first anti- cheat lawsuits came out.

It haven't been legally tested.

But one key point is that Companies are adamant that premium currency after it has been bought, has no actual monetary value. So it would interasting for them to claim both that there is a legal issue and that it has no monetary value.
The law hasn't caught up to that yet, but I think it'd be hard for companies to win; US consumers have a clear right to modify their software, if the currency is only modified locally (otherwise you'd have to hack into their servers, clearly illegal), you'd have the right to modify it. It's tricky because you're not stealing the files that add the currency, you're changing it on your own. Stealing the code that adds currency (i.e. what you buy on the store) would be obvious copyright infringement, while changing it on your own would be no different than a mod for Skyrim.
Obviously the publisher can ban you if they want, but I'm not sure if you could be successfully sued for copyright infringement.
Thanks, I remembered there were these similar discussions in GAF so I just read those threads too. But that discussion was also just based on opinions and people's personal ethics, but it was more specifically about currencies. There were way more people questioning such things than in this thread, that's for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
You're not modifying the code with such cheats, you're modifying what's in the memory of your computer (something that will disappear the next time you launch your computer).
Game files are staying the same.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
If you buy Windows Home Edition, and you modify the code to unlock Professional functionality, is that legal?
No. The clear difference between the two situations is that the Professional code is copyrighted, and so is Ubisoft's code to unlock the XP booster, but the trainer isn't using Ubisoft's code.
The trainer is custom code that modifies software that results in a similar end result. If you were capable of writing code that added Pro features and added that onto your Home edition (i.e. your custom code on top of Home Edition, zero percent MS Pro code), that should be legal (i.e. does not violate copyright infringement according to US copyright law, violating MS' EULA is a different can of worms)

Unlocking microtransactions (basically stealing copyrighted code) is illegal, just as unlocking Pro features would be (again, stealing copyrighted code). The trainer isn't unlocking Ubisoft's microtransaction. It just produces a similar result.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Certainly in professional software when you pay for it you pay for the functionality, not access to the code (unless access to the code is explicitly defined as part of the functionality). Afaik that's no different with games.

But how is this case any different than cheat codes of the past? I don't think it is. I mean I even modify existing code on games sometimes.

And if it isn't, it's not illegal.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
First off. Windows 10 pro is not on a copy of Windows 10 Home that is just block off. When you upgrade, you download the updated OS from MS servers.

Secondly, doing that involves using Microsoft copyright because you want specially Windows 10 pro not something that mimics it.

If someone could hack together self-coded features that did everything windows 10 pro did but didn't use any of windows 10 pro's actual code? That would be legal,

And that's what these cheat programs do. Their own code manipulated the Xp and other values stored in the game.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
In the past you weren't using trainers to unlock functionality that was sold over and above the game you paid for.

You still don't get it.

If you don't understand copyright law in its basic form. You shouldnt be arguing about what is illegal or legal.

You would have a better chance arguing about Ubisoft banning people for this over actual illegality .

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best RPGs are also not open world games. I can't tell if you genuinely keep missing the point or intentionally shifting the narrative.
The only thing I'm looking at is your use of integral. It seemed to be so important that you bolded it.

The thread of the conversation.

I asked you what was integral to the genre, and made some guesses with dungeon masters in the end as joke.

So you replied with.

"Yeah it is absolutely doing side content to level up so you can tackle the main story."

That is not integral to the genre. It's not required, it's a popular design that a lot of rpgs follow, but a lot of them don't as well. That is all, seemingly a misunderstanding.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You still don't get it.

If you don't understand copyright law in its basic form. You shouldnt be arguing about what is illegal or legal.

You would have a better chance arguing about Ubisoft banning people for this over actual illegality .

I work for a software company that takes people to court globally on a monthly basis, and wins (or settles), because of attempts to circumvent licensing by code modification to unlock functionality. I work with the people that initiate those engagements. So I do know a bit about it.

I've already admitted I wasn't entirely sure if that applied to games as well, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Curious what y'all think about these situations:

1. Hacking a SP game with leaderboard / indirect MP integration.
2. Hacking a SP game to unlock something for MP.
3. Hacking a MP game to unlock something for MP that would otherwise take a lot of time or skill to obtain.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I work for a software company that takes people to court globally on a monthly basis, and wins (or settles), because of attempts to circumvent licensing by code modification to unlock functionality. I work with the people that initiate those engagements. So I do know a bit about it.

I've already admitted I wasn't entirely sure if that applied to games as well, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
"circumvent licensing by code modification to unlock functionality" is a violation of copyright law, yeah.
That isn't what happening here. It's not unlocking functionality. The trainer isn't unlocking Ubisoft's microtransactions, that would be illegal.
Not sure what you're not getting.