• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Hi ERA,

not sure if this is thread worthy, but I thought I give it a shot.

RetroArch has Flycast WInCE, so you can emulate WinCE games not, which was only possible with DeMul,
it is also possible to increase internal resultion to get a clearer picture.

I tried it yesterday with Resident Evil 2. And it works pretty well, the only thing which have problems are the FMVs, the rest is fine.
I am not sure if its old news, but I thought I share.

Here is the link for further information:

They also improved sound playback for non WinCE games.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Can someone explains me what is different from regular dreamcast emulation?
WinCE games were harder to emulate or for a time being they could not be emulated, WinCE was used to make it easier for developers to port their PC games to Dreamcast. DeMul is also closed source, Flycast is open source, so it easier to develop and contribute to it.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Source

Dreamcast games utilising Windows CE

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I tried Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation now on my Android phone with RetroArch + Flycast. FMV was audio only, audio in both FMV and game was scratchy, game crashed a minute into opening real-time cutscene.

Still, impressive progress made, looking forward to finally being able to emulate these games in future.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
I tried Nightmare Creatures II in Flycast today. The fmvs are still scratchy. You would think they would have fixed that by now.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
redream has been my choice for a couple of years, but I really missed Sega Rally 2. now that Redream has winCe support, I am satisfied.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
I tried out Nightmare Creatures II on Redream. The FMVs are crackling and it seems like the music is not working in game. I am getting beeps.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
I just tried it with Demul and it plays it with no problems. Demul does this weird interlacing thing that looks like it can't be switched off.
Did the Dreamcast have rumble? Demul rumbles a little bit. It seemed like the rumble worked better in Redream.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
Demul has graphic issues if you start it in fullscreen. If you toggle to fullscreen, it is fine. I also had it lock on me when I stopped a game. It would not let me run another one. I had to restart it.

So, it is not the best just yet. Still, it runs WinCE games the best.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like Demul development stopped in 2018. So, Flycast and Redream need to catch up. Really, it just seems like they need to fix the audio on the WinCE games FMVs.