Status
Not open for further replies.

oni_gank

Banned
May 13, 2019
This is in regards to the BASE Xbox One version.

ps4-xb1-sml.jpg

Not the Next Gen Physical Standard Edition which comes with a copy for both:

ps5-xsx-sml.jpg

Sure, this is not going to confuse people at all. I mean, the XBOX boxes.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised to find that they're using Smart Delivery on the Series X disc only. Disc contains the Xbox One version + some series X assets and downloads the remaining Series X enhancements when inserted.

Nah if you buy the Series x version physically you will be able to play the series x version without connecting to the internet. Or at least they'd need a big fuck off warning on the box.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I think they are using Smart Delivery for the Series X version but it's the other way around. If you insert the disc in an Xbox One it downloads the data needed to run it there. Or it can actually install data from the disc to be either version which I guess would live up to its namesake.

Oct 25, 2017
So is this because they wanted to do the $10 upgrade to next gen but Xbox doesn't allow for it because they're try to push smart delivery?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think they are using Smart Delivery for the Series X version but it's the other way around. If you insert the disc in an Xbox One it downloads the data needed to run it there. Or it can actually install data from the disc to be either version which I guess would live up to its namesake.

that last part makes the most sense: just ship the disc with assets for both versions.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
It's $70 for the cross-gen bundle but also $70 for the next-gen only? Lol why even price the next-gen only edition at the same price as the bundle. Only reason is if you are going to buy a PS5 or XBX day 1.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020

The link in the OP says

" Xbox Series X Standard Edition: Includes both the Xbox Series X and Xbox One version of the game on disc"

So I think both versions are on the disc. No download required.

There is a little wiggle room there I guess.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It's $70 for the cross-gen bundle but also $70 for the next-gen only? Lol why even price the next-gen only edition at the same price as the bundle. Only reason is if you are going to buy a PS5 or XBX day 1.
You are thinking about it the wrong way around. The next gen version is 70 dollars. So any method that gets you the next gen version has to cost at least 70. If there's a cheaper option, people would go for that.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Xbox One X enhanced? I kinda want that on the boxes aswell for maximum confusion.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
You are thinking about it the wrong way around. The next gen version is 70 dollars. So any method that gets you the next gen version has to cost at least 70. If there's a cheaper option, people would go for that.
Yes but why is the dual package the same price as the next gen only? If anything it would make sense for base this gen to be $60, next gen for $70 and a dual upgrade for $80 since you get the license for both.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
Wait wait wait...i don't know how I feel about this.

I'm pissed on the Control situation. Man if MS has some policy messing it up for both consoles...
You can't upgrade the Xbox One Physical version to series X, but you can do that on ps4 to ps5, why 505 can't do the same with control?, it's just the publisher wanting to sell ultimate editions and obviously they aren't doing a next gen version without the DLCs included.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Yes but why is the dual package the same price as the next gen only? If anything it would make sense for base this gen to be $60, next gen for $70 and a dual upgrade for $80 since you get the license for both.

You don't get a license for both if you go physical. Ps5 can't downgrade to PS4 etc. So then you'd have an even more confusing pricing list as it'd be different for physical and digital.

RayTracing

Banned
May 28, 2020
I think they are using the wrong term and that they mean BD-XL discs.

That would make sense if Xbox One could read UHD discs, but it can't, the Disc version that contains both must be in a BD-50 format since it's supposed to work on Xbox One as well. So how are they able to fit both games on Xbox, but can't for PS5? unless Smart Delivery also includes a form of packaging games together where each console can read their respective necessary assets and ignore others.

ThePunisher

Oct 27, 2017
So no matter if I play this on Xbox or Playstation it will cost me $70 to play the next gen version, correct?

RayTracing

Banned
May 28, 2020
User Banned (1 day): Console warring; account in junior phase
This is all on Activision in my opinion, can't blame MS for trying to get us next gen assets for free, and Sony for simply allowing Publishers to charge what they want.

4OKWDYq.jpg

pXrAcsG.jpg

Not taking any sides, at the end of the day, we lose as gamers.

Aug 9, 2018
You can't though unfortunately. There is no way to upgrade to the ultimate edition.
Oh I know that you can't upgrade from the Digital Deluxe Edition of Control to the Ultimate Edition, what I meant was that those 2 editions of Control kind of reflect the XBOX ONE edition and XBOX SX edition of COD here. Not that the situation is exactly the same, just that there are 2 editions available of the same game but one has a next gen version.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I just realized that for $70 you get the xsx and xbox version but on the Playstation side you ONLY get the ps5 version that won't work on the ps4. Jeez what a cluster fuck all around

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that for $70 you get the xsx and xbox version but on the Playstation side you ONLY get the ps5 version that won't work on the ps4. Jeez what a cluster fuck all around
No for 70 you get both as well. You just have to start from the PS4 disc. It's the opposite of the Xbox funny enough.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The playstation version is most likely how publishers envisioned their games.

A Disc PS4 version on shelves.
A Disc PS5 version on shelves.
And a digital upgrade for Disc PS4 to PS5.

MS envisioned a different future and for publishers to fulfill that vision they have:

A Disk Xbox one version on shelves.
A Disk containing both one/series x version on shelves.

I argued a while ago publishers are going to want two distinct versions on shelves. There's a ~3 year period where demographics diverge with next-gen owners and current-gen owners. Publishers will target current-gen with a lower priced version and next-gen with a bells and whistles version.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This is in regards to the BASE Xbox One version.

ps4-xb1-sml.jpg

Not the Next Gen Physical Standard Edition which comes with a copy for both:

ps5-xsx-sml.jpg

Why does the base Xbox version mention the Xbox Series X but the PS4 version doesn't mention the PS5? Is it not compatible?

Seems a bit weird to have it on both boxes looking confusing but then not add that to the other version.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand

just dealing with what disc type, labing on boxes, mums and dads buying the wrong one, wondering if you need the disc in the console or not ..etc etc etc

if you went digital this gen, then playing yr old games on PS5 is going to be as easy as going to your library and downloading , or streaming, or whatever. And ditto if you buy ps4 games over the next mth or so ..

sorry just me wee digital over physical rant. obviously price of games is a factor for people too

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the base Xbox version mention the Xbox Series X but the PS4 version doesn't mention the PS5? Is it not compatible?

Seems a bit weird to have it on both boxes looking confusing but then not add that to the other version.

The current version of the cases for Xbox One games without the Series X version have Series X plastered on it to reiterate the BC nature of the console. We would need to see the back of the PS4 version but it just seems like Sony is going with the fact that it'll be BC as a given and not shove it in the face of customers like MS is.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
just dealing with what disc type, labing on boxes, mums and dads buying the wrong one, wondering if you need the disc in the console or not ..etc etc etc

if you went digital this gen, then playing yr old games on PS5 is going to be as easy as going to your library and downloading , or streaming, or whatever. And ditto if you buy ps4 games over the next mth or so ..

sorry just me wee digital over physical rant. obviously price of games is a factor for people too

This is most certainly a problem but realistically it's a short term problem and more of an edge case at the moment. Cross gen games aren't going to be the norm for the entire generation. This problem is going to be a blip in the scope of the generation.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I really don't understand why they wouldn't just only have one standard Xbox SKU, set the MSRP for $70, and have it use smart delivery. The way they're doing it is way more confusing, and really is just set up to get accidental double dips. You know any of us who know better are going to get the Series X SKU, that one is gonna sell out fast, and Joe Schmoe is gonna go get the XB1 version and think it's the Series X version because it says Series X on the box...

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would make sense if Xbox One could read UHD discs, but it can't, the Disc version that contains both must be in a BD-50 format since it's supposed to work on Xbox One as well. So how are they able to fit both games on Xbox, but can't for PS5? unless Smart Delivery also includes a form of packaging games together where each console can read their respective necessary assets and ignore others.
I thought you were talking about PS4 and 5... I gotta say i am confused as you are. I thought that i saw a picture that you needed to download the Xbox one version but i can't find it anywhere and on the official website it says that both are included on the disc.

I don't know how they are able to fit both versions on the disc. Doesn't that mean that they need to include both assets? I don't know am confused as hell.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why they wouldn't just only have one standard Xbox SKU, set the MSRP for $70, and have it use smart delivery. The way they're doing it is way more confusing, and really is just set up to get accidental double dips. You know any of us who know better are going to get the Series X SKU, that one is gonna sell out fast, and Joe Schmoe is gonna go get the XB1 version and think it's the Series X version because it says Series X on the box...
It's to not alienate people who are on current gen and don't want to pay the next gen tax when they don't own a next gen system.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Would be a bit weird if it actually is some new policy from MS considering they launched Xbox One with games that were able to be upgraded for $10.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but that's not what I said. The ps5 version does not include the ps4 version. Seems like the ps5 version should be discounted
The PS5 disc version?

Because the digital version gets you both.

Might be because the PS4 doesn't have a UHD drive. No one really knows for sure. Like why you can't upgrade from the XBO disc version to the Series X version.

....now, what happens to those with the orig XBO? Because they do still exist.

Yeah, its a cluster fuck no doubt.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
All this confusion is why I don't give a damn about these next gen upgrades, just let me play through BC and I'm fine.

Aug 9, 2018
It's only that way because you can't upgrade the physical XBOX ONE version to the XBOX SX version. So for XBOX ONE users who would like to buy the game at launch and have an upgrade path they will choose the XBOX SX Edition. Whereas if you are a PS4 user and want to buy the game at launch and have an upgrade path you only need to purchase the PS4 version of the game and then pay the $10 fee. It is essentially the same, both will cost $70.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
  • Xbox Series X disks can be read on the XB1. So the $70 disk can provide both the XB1 version and the XSX version. So they're only offering the $70, which you're expected to buy up front if you plan on playing cross-gen.
I think this sums it up good.
No, this is incorrect. The $70 XB1/XSX disk is not the only physical version of the game for Microsoft. There's also a $60 version which only plays on XB1 and can't be upgraded. This is the version the thread is about. Some people feel this could be confusing because the cover of that version mentions it's playable on Xbox Series X twice...but without explicitly stating that's only through BC, and not taking full advantage of the XSX power. {It may say that on the back copy, though.)

Both platforms are allowing the publisher to charge users extra. Pretending there's a defense force for this on only one console is itself console warring.

The ps5 version does not include the ps4 version. Seems like the ps5 version should be discounted
Realistically, how many people who own a PS5 and buy PS5 games for it will want to also play an inferior version of the game? It's not ideal for them, but the number of folks potentially affected is vastly lower than the number who might want to buy current-gen games and upgrade to next-gen later for a smaller fee than rebuying the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.