TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Thursday night I picked up a t.v. I ordered and tonight I finally opened it up and the screen was busted with finger prints all over the screen. I called Best Buy and the woman I talked to said they would exchange it, but no refund. I feel like I'm going to go there in the morning and get fucked. Anyone have any experience with this? First time I've experienced this. I'm getting anxiety thinking about it.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
No but call corporate customer service and they'll prob give a refund

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've ordered tvs twice from them in store and had them delivered. Delivery guys will make sure the tv works before leaving. I'd recommend doing this for your next purchase from them honestly.

But you should be fine with getting the exchange.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thursday night I picked up a t.v. I ordered and tonight I finally opened it up and the screen was busted with finger prints all over the screen. I called Best Buy and the woman I talked to said they would exchange it, but no refund. I feel like I'm going to go there in the morning and get fucked. Anyone have any experience with this? First time I've experienced this. I'm getting anxiety thinking about it.

I've had a TV exchanged. Super painless. I just took pictures of the problem (massive discoloration on the screen near a corner, the foam packing had been pressed up against the screen super hard during shipping), made a call, scheduled an exchange and when the people showed up they wanted to review what was wrong and I showed them the pictures. Gave me my TV and took the bad one. EZ PZ.

OP
OP
TaterTots

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I've ordered tvs twice from them in store and had them delivered. Delivery guys will make sure the tv works before leaving. I'd recommend doing this for your next purchase from them honestly.

But you should be fine with getting the exchange.

Probably the best move, but I picked it up myself. I was all excited today and thought the markings I seen were air trapped under plastic, but there was no plastic. It's like I got a used tv in a new box lol.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Nope never had a problem,but ive read horror stories from the bestbuy forum like some one had a damaged tv and they didn't even give them a replacement tv ,they said he should of checked the tv before leaving the store so he was out of whatever he paid for it.

OP
OP
TaterTots

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
The guy that helped me load it was kind of just tossing it around and ended up laying the screen face down. I don't know if that's what caused it, but I'm not gonna throw him under the bus. He was nice.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Watched this happen to a guy behind me while buying a TV.

They replaced it, no fuss, no muss. I felt for the guy though, he had to lug it up 5 stories, unbox it, realize it was broken, rebox it, drag it down 5 stories, strap it to his car, bing it to the store all so eh can do it again in the reverse order.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon

You should be okay, but I guess it truly depends on how nice management is at the store as to whether they give you a refund instead.

I used to sell televisions at best buy and what you're mentioning is more common than you might think. TV wasn't likely opened but damaged in transit to the store or maybe in the back of the store. Believe it or not, but alot of people would ask us for slightly damaged TVs like yours, because we would sell them at such a discount.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I went into best buy earlier and saw a group of guys that were going to load a TV into a car, nobody was holding it so it fell over on the concrete. Could be people like that, maybe they return it unopened. If they give you a hard time call corporate.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
People usually don't break their new TV they got just to exchange it for the same model. Usually when you try and return something large like that they would send over a home entertainment employee to try and talk you out of it. But if you're just exchanging it because the one you got was fucked I don't think it should be an issue. If it is escalate it to the store manager.

OP
OP
TaterTots

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
You should be okay, but I guess it truly depends on how nice management is at the store as to whether they give you a refund instead.

I used to sell televisions at best buy and what you're mentioning is more common than you might think. TV wasn't likely opened but damaged in transit to the store or maybe in the back of the store. Believe it or not, but alot of people would ask us for slightly damaged TVs like yours, because we would sell them at such a discount.

I should of taken a photo before I boxed it. It looks like someone took a baseball bat to the lower left hand side and there are a ton of greasy finger prints all over the screen. I wouldn't doubt if someone got it home and dropped it and repackaged it somehow.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't think it's fair to blame Best Buy for electronics that fail quickly. For one, they do that sometimes. Second, Best Buy presumably gets their stock from the same places every other retailer or warehouse does.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That isn't the case here, though.

Yea I was inarticulate. Basically, every retailer I've had experience with aside from Amazon tries this at first. Just refuse and push for a proper refund. Best Buy is hardly alone when it comes to brick and mortars pulling this. Amazon doesn't because it would cost more money to fight the claim for them. Not condoning it, just saying.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
From my experience, Best Buy exchange policy is not that strict especially if the item is damaged out of the box. I have returned $2k+ laptops with relatively minor issues without them saying anything. You shouldn't worry.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Haven't brought a TV but I have bought monitors from best buy, bc I'm cheap and picky so I don't always know what monitor will meet my standards. Crazy easy to return and close by.

Next monitor will come from craigslist tho.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I bought a TV from Bestbuy (in store) and they do the "open it and check it out" thing before you can leave, but when I got home it had a weird ass bright spot, where the light was kinda shining through and so I packed it up and brought it back the next day. I was concerend it was going to be a big thing and they were going to fight me on it, but they could not have cared less. They never even opened it to check anything and it was the most hassle free thing.

I know you ordered online,so maybe that changes things, but it really shouldn't. I think they are really good about letting you exchange.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They'll exchange it for you, if they give you grief call the corporate number.

Forearms

Oct 25, 2017

PeoplewatchTV.jpg

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Best Buy has always had a 3 day return policy for physical damage and a 15 day regular return policy for all products (no questions asked type of thing). If you're a reward remember or whatever you get a longer return time (I think I read up to 45 days?)

So no you shouldn't have a problem at all. Really worst case scenario you ask for a manager and as long as you aren't shouting at them or cursing at them they'll take care of you.