Oct 28, 2017
Pulled up right next to me at a red light. Is there a legit reason for someone to drive with these things on? Like some kind of impairment that would require this.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
id1LeH.gif

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes as I drive and get mad at shit drivers doing stupid shit on the road I fantasize about opening a hole in the ground under them when they're stopped and just sink their car. Awful of me I know, but this person I'd send them down to the fucking core.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I was dumbfounded passing a younger adult on the freeway wearing over the ear headphones. Shit can't be safe with all the noise cancelling tech and I think you can get a ticket for distracted driving here for that.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
A whole lot since work from home ended. Across a couple states. Nearly always some pods but a couple times full on studio styles. Happens a few times a week at this point.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I live in Rhode Island, of course I've seen this shit. The most uniquely terrible drivers I have ever seen.

People routinely drive 25-35 miles over the speed limit, but merge onto the highway at 15 mph.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's been like 10 years or something but yeah i have done a few "jam out" joyride sessions with headphones now and again, even with an ably equipped bluetooth car stereo

but after seeing how dumb drivers can be (and maybe i'm included in that) it's just NPR on low volume while driving. maybe a song or two from my phone to spice it up

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't even know how many headphones I own, but I have not once worn headphones when driving. People are crazy out there.

Lozlink

Oct 27, 2017
I do it when I use my beater with my xm5s in ambient sound mode turned up to the highest setting. The environmental hearing loss is pretty minimal and I'm a defensive enough driver who is aware of their surroundings so I've never considered it a hindrance. Now, people who use it with noise cancelling are a different matter altogether

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Man drivers have gotten shittier for sure!!

Was gonna make a threat about but saw some crazy ass pulled next to me on a red light. They had there phone on the dash right in front of them and was watching some shitty reality show 😂 I could not believe what I was seeing and was so glad she was not going the same way as me…

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
my coworker when i worked at baskin/dunkin used to wear headphones while driving when he'd give me a ride home. just use the stereo so we dont die damnit
this was at night too so its even worse

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
A moment ago I saw my neighbor finish mowing his lawn and then hop right in his car and drive off, still wearing his ear protection.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
My wife wears her over ear skull candy headphones at the grocery store and loves it. I tried some corded over ear headphones on a late night walk recently and got way too hot, though.

Well I don't have any problem with over the ear headphones in most places. The store or jogging is fine but driving a car feels insane to me.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
see it a fair bit and it is one of the dumber things you can do tbh, starting to see buds become more prevalent as well (airpods etc) which is even more worrying with the noise cancelling aspect

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not over-the-ear, that seems like it would be incredibly dangerous. I sometimes wear a single earbud, but never more than that.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
AirPod earbuds yea, see people driving with them all frequently here in Southern California. Mostly seen people on bikes and scooters with over the ear headphones on. But definitely seen people getting in and out of their vehicles with over the ear headphones on.

I can understand if you're expecting an important call and need/want to better communicate with someone, and not use the in-car speaker or speaker phone calling.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
If you're driving a several thousand pound vehicle on a major road and are jamming with headphones on you're an asshole.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've always wondered if those people really are that completely clueless.

I had a friend that did this once when we were teenagers. I called him out on how incredibly stupid it was, since he wouldn't be able to hear emergency vehicles or anything else important while driving.

I actually don't know if it's illegal, but I would think it probably is. Seems like basic common sense. Blew my mind even at like 17.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I do it when I use my beater with my xm5s in ambient sound mode turned up to the highest setting. The environmental hearing loss is pretty minimal and I'm a defensive enough driver who is aware of their surroundings so I've never considered it a hindrance. Now, people who use it with noise cancelling are a different matter altogether
But why? I've had some shitty car radios in the past so I drive with a boom box in the back seat.

Lozlink

Oct 27, 2017
But why? I've had some shitty car radios in the past so I drive with a boom box in the back seat.
So I can be immersed whilst listening to audiobooks. Your solution is more cumbersome and won't provide half the experience, especially as I drive with the windows open 90% of the time ( I live in Australia). I have full control of my audio without taking my eyes off the road. Again, this doesn't extend to all over the hear headphones as they may not boast as much control over the sound coming in, but with something like the xm5, I have no issues hearing my surroundings.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

Also full on staring at their phones. On the freeway. Lots of people don't deserve to be on the road.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Pretty much every time I drive to the cinema I see at least two or three people with earbuds in. It's become normal tbh.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I see it fairly often and it's utterly stupid; driving is seeing and hearing. Another issue is runners using ear buds and running on the road, as they don't hear you. Had to beep a runner the other day on a narrow lane to let him know I was there and he looked at me as if I was the idiot, it was a friendly double beep as well.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
I do semi-regularly. In my case they don't cut out noise, just reduce it to a reasonable volume. Most of the time I'm not actually listening to anything, I'm just using them to reduce noise.

Maybe I just have sensitive ears, but the ambient noise of most cars and roads is really loud.