• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

will you just drop something?

• no it is MINE

Votes: 156 46.4%
  • only if you drop that attitude

Votes: 59 17.6%
  • i travel light i'd be dropping my clothes (you pervert)

Votes: 32 9.5%
  • *shots the OP to grab their stuff

Votes: 89 26.5%

• Total voters

Silver9

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
player.setav carryweight 99999
This.

In every game.

Every.single.game.

I have yet to enjoy a weight limit. Equipment encumbrance is different.
yes-sir-yes-boss.gif

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Loads up a save on fresh install on Steam Deck. Walking slowly, miles from anywhere. "What the..." Checks inventory. "... Oh."

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I was so tempted to do this thread earlier when I was checking the update. I hate that installing the mod to get rid of it disables the trophies

Last edited:

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I was so tempted to do this thread earlier when I was checking the update.I hate that installing the mod to get rid of it disables the trophies
There's probably a separate mod that enables achievements again. There was one for Skyrim on consoles at least!

edit: actually I think I'm mixing this up with the 60fps mod? Sorry :( not sure how I got them confused

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If i have to spend 45 minutes running somewhere that would normally take 5 because i am over encumbered i will fucking run that 45 minutes.

If a game has stats, skills and gear that increase my carry weight i will prioritize that over anything else. I WANT ALL THE GODDAMN LOOT. I'm the guy in POE who doesn't use a loot filter and will spend 40 minutes in a map that would take a normal person 2 minutes because i pick up every single item because i want every single item that drops.

I won't use mods, i won't use cheats. I will suffer for my hoarding addiction.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's mine, I'm not giving it up, and if any of you drop anything it's mine as well. I will collect the entire world on my back because you never know when you might need something.

I may have 50 different magical scrolls and 20 unique varieties of special arrow, a 102 key ring, several bags (mostly filled with magical potions and other curatives), a few sets of armour and different weapons, a shovel, some rope, a library of books, notes, letters (all opened), an unseemly collection of severed heads that I don't remember picking up, and a storeroom worth of magical loot, curios, and genuine junk I'll be selling at the next shop, all packed away, but trust me it's all necessary for my adventure.

I will balance that equip load as I hoover up the land and march on. Because I am an adventurer, dammit, and that's what we do.

also if there's any sort of container, movable object, locked anything, or anything at all hidden everything of value will be mine when I'm through with it. NOTHING ESCAPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also while you were reading this I pickpocketed you of everything of value and am now running away

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I VERY rarely enjoy dealing with encumbrance. 99/100 times I just look up a mod to give infinity capacity. It might break some balance stuff but I just don't care most of the time.

*edit* I should have given an example where I don't mind it. Stardew Valley. Dunno why, maybe its the casual nature, the ease at which you can drop off/sell extra stuff but it doesn't bother me there... actually thinking about it. I think I very quickly know if I need to keep it or sell it. In a lot of games where im carrying a ton of junk its cause I'm like "i dunno what a bingo explosion monitor is but maybe I need it later so I'm not getting rid of it"

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
In my real life I'm minimal. In games? I love stuff, give it all to me. Always go for perks that up my limit. Let Nioh 2 loot waterfalls cover me till I die.

Gaming me
1pken3.jpg

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I remember in one the Elder Scrolls games. I forgot which, there was some vendors that didn't have a hidden chest for thier wares. There was a trick of unloading a ton of shit unto the vendor that encumbered them. Then I would proceed to go to thier living quarters upstairs and steal all of thier shit. The vendor could do nothing, not even follow you upstairs.

Of course this is one the few bugs Bethesda actually fixed.

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
Of all Starfield's flaws, this was the most annoying to me. I ended up using this mod on PC to get around it...

www.nexusmods.com

Zero Weight (SFSE or ASI Loader)

A simple mod that sets the current mass of your and your ship's inventory to 0. Allows you to carry as many items as you want without negative effects.

Oct 29, 2017
Fallout 4 and 76 are games about picking up trash and then you eventually shoot things in the meantime while you look for more trash to pick up.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
54f0c744167303a12a7b3fd7ff3c2961f1449f0f9054352dd70a6ad63814bace_1.jpg

I hate encumbrance in almost all games except for Souls (equipped gear add to weight/load, not inventory in general).

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Souls-style equip weight is a fun mechanic. I don't really like Fallout 3-style encumbrance though.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017

memzero64

Apr 29, 2022
I can't drop anything, who knows if any of the random items I picked up might be needed for a crafting ingredient or a fetch quest later on?

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Eat stuff. Because when you eat things, the weight disappears.

Jun 16, 2019
I'm the type to get rid of everything, sometimes stuff that I'll realize some time later that I could have used, so the only time this comes up is between trips to the shop to sell. I will absolutely suffer through the slow walk or whatever punishment the game gives you for being overburdened until I get somewhere to sell though.

It happened a lot in BG3, I'd be out exploring and picking up everything I possibly can to the point that all of my party members are encumbered and then sell everything to the vendors. Including rare weapons that don't fit my current build. I still kick myself every time I think of respeccing but realize I sold off the best gear for a different class.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I hate the encumbered system. I'd rather be poisoned, put to sleep, paralyzed, turned into a frog, battle a thousand flying enemies, or be forced to play Resident Evil 6 multiple times a year than get encumbered. It's the single most annoying mechanic to ever be put into a video game. I hate it.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
People, you just make a cache in the nearest container to the fast travel point, then just warp back and forth as you sell stuff or deposit in your central stash in the dumpster next to the work bench. Unless you're playing in hardcore/survival, in which case you make dead drops until you've got a companion/squire to carry your shit for you.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
If i have to spend 45 minutes running somewhere that would normally take 5 because i am over encumbered i will fucking run that 45 minutes.

If a game has stats, skills and gear that increase my carry weight i will prioritize that over anything else. I WANT ALL THE GODDAMN LOOT. I'm the guy in POE who doesn't use a loot filter and will spend 40 minutes in a map that would take a normal person 2 minutes because i pick up every single item because i want every single item that drops.

I won't use mods, i won't use cheats. I will suffer for my hoarding addiction.

Do you even see the game without a lootfilter lol

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
fb3.gif

please, just drop some stuff.

you don't need every single trash you've found.
Ironically this is wrong in Fallout 4 cause they made the ingenious idea to allow you to break down junk for components. Such an elegant solution for all the pointless pickable debris that they had in previous 3d Fallout games.

I like these kinds of constraints in games but no one ever seems to be able to come up with something that does not feel like a chore after a while. How much shit you can carry is gonna be invariably tied to the game's economy in most cases and most people just break it one way or another.

shivalice

Sep 24, 2023
I stopped playing Outer Worlds and Divinity: Original Sin 2 because I got so overwhelmed with managing the inventory. Also used to drive me nuts in Skyrim. I wanted to play a stealthy rather than strong character, but then I couldn't carry half my ill gotten goods -_-

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
So the game has an encumberment punishment? I drop something, but what I drop is the fucking game. It is bad enough if the game has a lot of expendable resources, but encumberment punishment on top of that? I want to play, not be tortured.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Kill NPC
Transfer stuff to dead NPC
Carry dead body everywhere you go

Thank me later.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
My actual hottest video game take is that encumbrance in modern-Fallout/ElderScrolls is good.

Those games are already too easy to break as is. And forcing the player to not just carry every bit of random junk they find, and making them make sometimes hard decisions about what to that can take to town, actually makes the game somewhat interesting to play.

A little bit of friction caused by the game mechanics can go a long way to make a game engaging to play.