so1337

Oct 28, 2017
The rats from A Plague Tale really reminded me of the Kryll in Gears 1 and how good of an idea that was.

In Amber Clad

behind a perfect mask
Aug 26, 2018
London
1451882173413.jpg

I hope the DBs dont return for Gears 5....not even for Horde mode. Blood for the Blood God!

They will, but they'll be corrupted by the Swarm.

Oct 26, 2017
Gears 1-3 were great. A nice, tidy trilogy.

Then it was run into the ground by an unnecessary sequel. Much like Halo, I prefer pretending that anything after the original devs left is just fan fiction.

44alltheway

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
Ok so I just posted this in the Xbox thread, and will repeat it here:

How are people feeling about the upcoming Gears 5? This is coming from someone who has never played any of the Gears games. I rewatched the trailer today and am just not into it. The trailer itself was pretty bad in my opinion. The characters showcased in the first half of the trailer were pretty bland as well. The short glimpses of gameplay looked interesting. Are people holding out hope that the multiplayer will be good, or is the general consensus that the singleplayer mode should be good?

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not was - it IS one of the best game series out there. :)

I'm Hyped for Gears 5, there is no other game out there which can give you the emotions Gears multiplayer does!

It's a sweaty palm fest which either makes you finish the game with a big grin or makes you want to slap every team member in real life lol

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a solid trilogy. Past that point, I've never heard of her.

Tried playing 4 but it's dreadfully boring shooting at robots that look like toys.
That's only the first couple of acts, it actually makes it a bit of pallet cleanser for when they reintroduce the locust/swarm.

The only sections I hated are those horde areas where you have to defend

Oct 28, 2017
Its shocking how influential Gears was at the start of the generation. I was just excited to play it because of how different it look compared to everything else at the time. Graphics, controls, gunplay, it was all so insanely attractive to watch. Its drop in drop out co-op wasnt ever praised enough either.

Feb 10, 2018
Yes, there good games.

But I feel the rodeo run and no jump, is kinda obsolete

Gears should evolve into uncharted 4 with a gears skin.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Its shocking how influential Gears was at the start of the generation. I was just excited to play it because of how different it look compared to everything else at the time. Graphics, controls, gunplay, it was all so insanely attractive to watch. Its drop in drop out co-op wasnt ever praised enough either.

And how many big triple A games are coming out now with drop in, drop out coop campaigns?

Coop has been relegated to its own mode this generation, but I love playing the story with friends.

Gears is perfect for it too.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears of War is awesome, Gears of War 4 (other than the main character in campaign being a dud) was awesome, and Gears 5 (with Kait at the helm) is poised to be really strong. The Coalition are amazing and they understand the series

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I've only played the trilogy and thought it was kinda bland. shoot, duck, run, shoot, duck, grenade, cut scene, and repeat.
Gears 2 was my favorite. The series has good visuals and action, but was ultimately a bit mundane and unforgettable to me.
I liken them to the Call of Duty single player campaigns.
I would be willing to play the other games, but i know I'll forget about them the second I'm finished.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's one of the better cover shooters, what I don't like is how it's artstyle was like a poster child for all the grimdark brown in grey color palettes we got for years on end.

Oct 28, 2017
And how many big triple A games are coming out now with drop in, drop out coop campaigns?

Coop has been relegated to its own mode this generation, but I love playing the story with friends.

Gears is perfect for it too.

The closest i can think is Ghost Recon, Division and Destiny, but those are open world games and not campaigns i guess. Not that it matters because at the time having to setup a lobby for co-op was the norm. Gears just had player two take control of AI Dom when they joined. It was super cool. And i guess Horde Mode is pretty influential by todays standards. Games can call it what they want, but we all know its called "horde mode" lol.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the better cover shooters, what I don't like is how it's artstyle was like a poster child for all the grimdark brown in grey color palettes we got for years on end.

That may have been the case with the original game (and maybe 2) but this isn't the case with 4. 4 was colorful.

Also 5 has melee elements which look really cool. Can't wait

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Agreed. There's only a small handful of story-driven action games that I enjoyed playing through more than once. That number is even smaller if you only include games with co-op. Co-op absolutely made the game for me.

I laughed when I heard that quote from Cliffy B about it sounding like it was doomed to fail on paper.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That may have been the case with the original game (and maybe 2) but this isn't the case with 4. 4 was colorful.

Also 5 has melee elements which look really cool. Can't wait
Oh absolutely, by the time 4 came around the industry was over that phase anyway. I'm generally curios to see what they do with 5, too. It will look stellar, that much is guaranteed lol.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I disagree.

Gears of War was not awesome, nor is it awesome... it's FUCKING awesome!

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
I mean...the series is almost universally critically acclaimed, isn't it? There are a looooooot of Gears fans out there. Gotta be a reason for that, right?

EDIT: That is to say, a thread that's essentially saying "Ya know, that really popular thing is really good" strikes me as weird.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Seeing Gears of War for the first time on a huge flat screen HD tv was the "next gen" leap at the time for me. Seeing Marcus sprint, the motion blur, the incredible graphics and feel. It was fucking amazing at the time. The game also has a pretty high skill cap for MP and it attracted hardcore players from all around. I know that the early Xbox live days get flak today for the mic usage but it was the best time to be a competitive gamer ever in those days. Between halo 3 and and the gears saga, we really had it fucking GOOD for a while and didn't know it. Too bad that this generation hasn't had a moment like that. Gears will always have a place in my heart.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Dun-dun-dun-D'-DUH-DUH-DUH
D-D-DIDUN-D-D-DIDUN
Dun-dun-dun-D'-DUH-DUH-DUH
D-D-DIDUN-D-D-DIDUN

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Probably my favorite series last gen. 4 was solid. 5 will probably be amazing.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
B-bbut Gears 5 can't be emotional because the saga always lacked these elements...
ÂżDoNt yOU HeaR mE? Maria and Dom's death felt cringy to me, thats why Gears 5 wont deliver ....
Theres people claiming this shit somehow.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the franchise on the 360, but for some reason can't seem to will myself through finishing my replay on the Ultimate Edition - it just feels a lot more dated and frustrating to play than I remembered, but maybe its just nostalgia.

Can't wait for 5 though.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Love Gears. Aside from Destiny 4 is my most played game this generation. I love how it takes its stupid story seriously. Gonna play the shit out of 5.

Loved the franchise on the 360, but for some reason can't seem to will myself through finishing my replay on the Ultimate Edition - it just feels a lot more dated and frustrating to play than I remembered, but maybe its just nostalgia.

Can't wait for 5 though.

FWIW 4 feels so much better than UE in every way.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved 1-3, but gears 4 was such just shockingly bland

I have little faith in gears 5

Feb 10, 2018
The new cast of hero's are all time generic for starters. Level design and new enemies were not interesting at all

What was it about the new characters that was generic compared to the characters in 1-3?
And what was uninteresting about the levels and enemies compared to the other games?

I ask because I am genuinely curious after just played gears 4, and an hour into gears 3, I've completed gears 1+2.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Gears 1 was an event when it came out. Made HD leap clear to me. I didn't play the series until years later but wish I had played it in 2006

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I really enjoyed Gears 4. Watched most of the pre-4 story on YouTube to understand it a bit better. Looking forward to Gears 5.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Yep. I was blow away by it. Played it at a friend's place and got my own 360 shortly after.

It really rejuvenated my interest in gaming. I'd gotten a bit of a funk the latter part of the prior generation, shook it off briefly when i got a Wii, but then hit again as there was a long drought of nothing I wanted to play after Zelda, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario.

There was a great deal for a 360 and five good games (Frys.com I think) and the rest was history. I sold the Wii not long after and didn't get a PS3 until late gen as 360 had me satisfied until they focused more on Kinect and there were fewer games I wanted to play.

So many late nights of Gears and beers (local coop on the campaign, some horde in 2) with my best buddy for Gears 1 and 2. A little with 3 as we lived in different cities then. Never played 4 with him. Never cared for the PVP.