zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could work up more of a desire to write. Been brewing up a world in my head, but it's so hard to get it down on paper.
we have writing communities on ERA and challenges you can do :P
my quick recommendation though. Make it a goal to get 50 words down on paper related to what you want to write. They don't have to be perfect, but just try to get 50.
you will be surprised how over time that will add up and that from time to time after taking that first step that seemed hard you will have days you do much more.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I am making a scifi/action film sequence by myself in CG

Here's the storyboard -
pass is the password
Everything will be replaced - all shots will be made detailed and photo real, the audio will be remade (right now it is borrowed to get the tempo right)

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, OP. I have stopped playing games entirely recently in an effort to spend more time in a creative space. I have been writing a novel, one page a day. I am not prepared to share this writing.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
we have writing communities on ERA and challenges you can do :P
my quick recommendation though. Make it a goal to get 50 words down on paper related to what you want to write. They don't have to be perfect, but just try to get 50.
you will be surprised how over time that will add up and that from time to time after taking that first step that seemed hard you will have days you do much more.

I really do need to dedicate to it, It's always so much fun when I do sit down to write.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Yooooo, this awesome; Me and some classmates back in fourth grade did the same thing, we all couldn't afford most games or magazines for that matter -- we made our own EGM "inspired" monthly mags; most of us were avid fighting game players at local arcades but since quarters were hard to come by... we would take fighting game guides, give each character's moveset random, arbitrarily chosen attack points and in a turn-based fashion, battle it out.

Like, I was introduced to RPG mechanics before I ever knew WTF an RPG was; Chrono Trigger was my primer, and oh boy was that a learning experience, lol. I didn't know what to expect when a relative bought it for me as a gift I kept asking for after seeing a kickass advert on TV. I thought it was one of those Zelda type games... turned to be a very defining moment for me in gaming.

Sorry about the trip down memory lane, your post really brought back some things I hadn't thought about in a while. And your artwork/layout was leagues ahead of ours, lol, good stuff.
I'm glad it brings back memories! Just looking at it brings back all of my own.. it was an innocent time!
I think everyone here who played games as a kid tried at some point to "design" their own games.
I remember making pretend gameboys out of cardboard and "playing" the games on the swappable paper screens lol.
Chrono Trigger was definitely a big inspiration, but even moreso for me was Final Fantasy 3 (VI).

Luckily, I try as hard as I can to keep a bunch of my old stuff (at least after my mom threw away the rest of it thinking it was trash.. :( ).

I think this was a year or so after, but same ideas:
WANT NEW GAMING!? TG16, SPS, REO (neogeo??), Nintento, Sega, 3D0!
F51G9t5LFL9CEkwuHRO_UPlhb4A1YGI7uwvYaeloh5zxULbMxbLY-jSEXLZQxPVPdMtVJ93r3966gWHlHJdbSHY3cIawD_HCQo5r_cs1pzMmpx75wR7yv5G5JNJW-nRSGJlWTuv3HE_xsXAK7mt8_nRz9NJyl-LhxInDUjEyCZ6jzUqPpEamRPzDpJCAZpYd6lpzZqcdRoaOx3Nh6nA8xMWdPhk_XFOKp5tlzdH9cfNjTNK0zKHH5B0nE6HNJku5XgAaCnK0V6faF1tNjFfXBtFWanGA4FxlOm5Lb0elAQnGWaCAWLjss8mNm8p1S3QbMgWLhbtKJ2_Rd7Hjbou8PqM7RcgEJ_b-OXQdfS0vQEmpKm5gmxgNETjsOxsBYaJKAzf7PGNmf1VSd2lkJbKySKC8aLDprZWdZsiEyP7YfDJ_lXSXdtKokwLpxG1gB3Rgvc7lKYwsMctKGvUvspBcQOjdBjWgLSIzzE78y-NnVz7VtiexBSpuITLVjLw_QLlQKRS7vf1KhiL82AOzw59bR0CJmEQJsILzPbrXu4_ZENcY5erUPWzY6snp_YMIQYkIlkwIGP9qPbv4_wM2Ddw7-FB-VBvqPdtzHF6USTjrTAQSbC6Ip4Pq7R_DwiNBxw9MlTHnZs9slk27ij_R_U6v0OV8fGCx43Yh5YgFglhff8dcQZ8v0li7K7A6FmJ6NIn55GP_Dvz8HNOBVPx_uXauSUKEvw=w660-h989-no

GET THE SIRIN AND ULTRA SIRIN
9OPludgBbuQnFn6JHTVkvixRUoZ7SqhtvE8vyNPsmOZ1SKvPvVRSL9aQmB66gUD1Fmuuu2XcfTT7KlvGUL9nwX8L1nFRdS2_Hd8fLYWMdYkJT8GwIbtT3pkHbt7ylccqIflBx4hK9HA0GVO1jouoX4CrBir2kd9el0ce0z2tBoqYzEXjcM8KiQOXMTf0OcYds9D80hgpuWigK4NV2htVTvnScad-_43aB-TSu0IMEaHi-YT4mX6Xq2h3tQ0gYlOpakzC8N1sMVTJUoKdrWGUpcma-YSPUqpC26Vk6mz85aoQTuWr6QFj3ArACKltB5rp9hyOjlknolCZib9XUIXrY5vYPd0XA_ytbSqb5Lpha_0oOK0BIRbTHK5rwtg34zA-vHzeYVOeZkvnEbcJTpvy9lRJt4GrcoFGCWWvK5NDrgT75lhcY73BFfhgDNcaS1zvsSUw-H04pvjhwseTia1g7wt1gy9QkpR2fS_K8COhb0kEZBZz-HkfW2RL4jqlitu8CkU_W2DjXiIRi-ITelU05Ik_L92tRYXlF78OFXDJcn23it6BpRI9Yri3XrYmNPwcUIH9nmyb382J6JuO9MAVu-mvzcrJNRVZWSl8u1EpFV9ZVVt7Wqh-4NuQrEBZSGvoi7ddaDs2Ryxfw2t9z66wWiYyVtsLOAQfkcMQ68-qR0NXxsnRumZpGBgBJGjCG-jPN6wpUnJT_q_imMIcfbK-6oNF1Q=w1484-h989-no

10 BIT SYSTEM!!! Handles 130 colours at a time!!!! The ULTRA handles 360 colours!!! (I didn't know anything about how tech worked lol)
dFOtvUGcvM1KdLnIQB7NBN8-LSD1AU_2HAiYNjhWs7ZDuBKFtcwOtt8hEvsBWHFhfTUZ-ooTGFWJ3kU37niZ6XiV2ckJDDB7nzUP3AgrMKwYNMaI3ERESp-X2SHN5VijoBoJZ561P275i2JUNkNG-q9WRIuoYDheyEdUzystK1sF_0ps-345sUFp2zSDZVaJ-RlAH-jscw9z-YDj8ki_GtGBwd0TKQPx_SqyfmgrsAKo0_MjWBmIbv_V6UbrGjNTzNRSvFDEY2ua6yGp366L_lEi4m5EijVo0iU8hGQR1WV9IKJKkXeHRNrjlDNfSo4Yc-jSi2QhCYsM4jV4HpF7PqOJ9t7NyqbidbccvSX-vSMR7ZYxhMTK-TnPYFwuZmlwA6SnZVgILOZ-vgZnnHIKOJmOkLu_xT-rilxGCwWs1LHhBlo9V_9pC6q0a_ePmDRIXVlntgpK37d_stCWTV7SxgJDrQOj8YZsstWRVk2LxBwXSz0jFicIS0TFhzt6KC9a9Mqkvs3-5Ohdw_6MRHShEQmsUN-j_CF0IvP-raudxFc3yKnGLIVQ2TR7RBn7QQ8EM27WgV4xP0MJuOfsKGdrm50O4NfMMY5JozUC--MD9sHX4L0vHHqhzM321RyVRM4dPZKQRaYlRPdfo7hWg2aMNPsp5djlz0AYsnEf8pN3_5qr5YUlDY_OFxTRdvYopyKlVNVS-R4aafdkFFlyBEHA3kBrwQ=w1484-h989-no

50 Billions Sold. NPD am cry.
IXdsBzXRJCk3knfvw64V_-LP0Kdi3Kut_lRM_kASbcCPw4Ag0fpp-9o7lmX81EQgDyljrEBjFQLNabc4HyYxjSDykbKf-KvAuDWSTpvI13AcFXxzyR-sh1ywj23jRJ9hhALwwswyFW2X4CSb9uH1EZ1L8nUlwLq6C6-tvh9jTStXivKUi3jT_HIISMcLUWKaXrJUPXuIOvQDnDSh436-UNUQWtwMzyEYy9tI8v6e5pUGr5Ab-pEN59cJxNvoSK6aYfWHB3OCMJFW6M7i7Wx73jmYQ0Rt7Bx0bbB6uqT_TFaABclMV6k_AlktKVEQf6Z4lsp7jBaKe13AlwtDbF2KMGUjoK3YvnMhtEA7DNDX4miV9qXbVZJGl35IDiaU8LoqJgVwCBhuarq5RrAHH03DhOAiLwSmY6Cr1fbxY-DJeXVMO0GZh5G-T70njYzj8L6mxpEhmdEgEHm3oeeQuo_DqZcBsr6eDbnH3YNwkoHNMjVpLK7VJBeuHVwmynugokICvYlmPuOUKfzwpmQa2y26GHYirSCrGDxy1fTiNvhkT8quAWYoMhE-gbyelaiQpvrHfUvKrCjJ_YRmGErcPgPAXOO9GwKAjnM_rhKuZ0E0pjl7fngEe7R9724sObdzRSNimv4-Zbjabc-1KcwJnb_4I161eHFHyVw24AD5FL09LdKzc0NkdYjgGk2dhJNDi8UFioS32uBzJ3t32bO-C5LDJ9IsYg=w660-h989-no

Today, the chicki-ducks featured in the 3-in-1 game look more like this:

d9l6wfr-270a834b-62aa-4eef-a0b9-04cb4c25ecaa.png

(I actually was trying to find my Nintendo Power cover attempt to show off and can't figure out where I put it or if I lost it.. :( Now this will haunt me all week.)

Last edited:

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
I made this game in Dreams (PS4):

I don't create many things any more so it's nice to be able explore that side of me again.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I share some WIP stuff? Working on this.

For a digital media assignment, I have to design and rig characters from illustrator files in after effects. A lot of placeholder stuff, but I'm open to any critique

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I want to write, maybe a novella or something. But then I'm so afraid of it being torn apart and it would shatter me.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I want to write, maybe a novella or something. But then I'm so afraid of it being torn apart and it would shatter me.
I know saying "don't be afraid of criticism" is about as unhelpful as advice gets, but don't be afraid of criticism. It's never as bad as it feels like it's going to be in your head.

As for writing, definitely get some practice in with the writing thread, creative writing thread, and just writing short things here and there in general. It is insanely helpful to just go ahead and get literally anything written down and just pile it up over time. And folks on this site are never going to be the sort who tear your work apart in a cruel way, so no better place to start than one of these threads.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I know saying "don't be afraid of criticism" is about as unhelpful as advice gets, but don't be afraid of criticism. It's never as bad as it feels like it's going to be in your head.

As for writing, definitely get some practice in with the writing thread, creative writing thread, and just writing short things here and there in general. It is insanely helpful to just go ahead and get literally anything written down and just pile it up over time. And folks on this site are never going to be the sort who tear your work apart in a cruel way, so no better place to start than one of these threads.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do that.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Oct 27, 2017
I created my own sci-fi/horror drama series. I first put it up on youtube and it did ok. But after putting it up on Amazon Prime Video it blew up a bit with over 17,000 hours watched. Not bad for a super low budget show with no real marketing I think.
http://wightspaceseries.com

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I came to the conclusion to just sit down and do something daily a couple of years ago. . .even so, I can't necessarily say I feel confident, I don't feel like I've improved any for it, or that it's any good compared to what anyone else does. I tag it on Twitter/Tumblr and share it with another more close-knit online community, but I doubt I would have had the confidence to share it here without this thread and I hesitate to post on any forum or community actually dedicated solely to art. But it's in the spirit of the thread, and I feel like seeing things stuff made just because you enjoy it and not because it's at the upper limits of skill is important for people so they can feel comfortable doing the same as well.

tumblr_ptaa1eFJKc1wabl8ko1_1280.jpg

I also made a mod for Starbound late last year that I hope to find the confidence to work on and add more to again at some point. I had the same lack of confidence with that combined with some difficulties figuring things out that I had to ask for legitimate help on, but even if it was just a few odds and ends in a pixel art game I did manage to make at least something that was functional.

It's really hard to get past the idea that if I'm not doing something perfectly then no one will like it and it wasn't worth making at all, though. It's really, really hard. But I want to push myself to gradually get more comfortable with just making what I like because I like it and then sharing to see what happens, instead of staying curled up in a hole never sharing it at all.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
For some weeks now I've planned to start a new embroidery project. My goal is to create little pieces for my favorite songs that either capture the mood of the song or resemble its cover or video style. Maybe at some point I'll put them up for sale on etsy as I don't really have a place to display them.
So this thread here motivated me to stop planning and get started! I chose Sylvester's disco classic You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) because I had some red linen left that fits the song pretty well. I'm please with the result especially since I've never stitched letters/ words before and I didn't look up any guides (I did a more complex embroidery last year though). It took me a good afternoon, including ironing the cloth and tracing the letters on it.

dsc_0450igk8p.jpg

dsc_04517dk3d.jpg

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Im trying ways to convert my car to electric and make a process that is cheap and secure for everyone, as I really don't think buying a brand new car is a solution at all. I use my own car as guinea pig for my tests. So far 2 failed attempts that involved a bad engine and overheat from the batteries.

486df724-ed0e-4a8a-b2lkpq.jpeg

Here we are about to put back it's original engine.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I write screenplays. Did a couple of episodes for a Belgian crime series and have some scripts in various stages of production. I'm currently shifting my focus to youth content and animation. This is a teaser/fragment of the English dub of the latest animated short I wrote (originaly written in Dutch). It's aimed at young kids.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I don't have anything to actually share for what will be obvious reasons, but I couldn't help responding to echo this sentiment and mini-rant about it for a moment.
I'm extremely afraid to share something that might be perceived as something I created, because I'm worried about being judged for it or told that it sucks or whatever. Not only do I have a hard time sharing things, but this fear extends to the act of actually creating something. I can't do it, because I start and then immediately start judging myself or being embarrassed about whatever it is, and then never finish it, or I'm too embarrassed to even start because "what if it's bad?" I'm trying to learn an instrument, and generally becoming interested in music composition; and being afraid to actually try to come up with anything on my own (even just a couple of measures, as practice) is a major hurdle. It sucks and I hate it and I'm not sure how to get over myself.
Also, this feeling extends to opinions and I hate when people ask me my favorite band/game/book/anything, and I hate giving my opinion on controversial topics because even though I feel like I'm in the right (generally everyone feels that about themselves) I'm afraid of having to argue it. D:

...Anyway, all you actually-creative people, carry on! Sorry for being a Debbie Downer.

I completely get this logic, but I changed my tune after I watched The Room by Tommy W. Dude made a film that's bad by every conceivable metric, and yet it's also beloved by lots of people and still sells out regularly over a decade after its original, flop cinema release.

Which is why I now upload a new podcast every Friday (Friday Night Fright, latest episode is on Event Horizon.)

I think the trick is to stop caring what other people think, and just make stuff. Then when you've made it and uploaded it jump straight into the next thing. That way if people don't care for one thing you've already moved onto the next one so criticism of one doesn't bother you because you're too damn busy to care.

Working weekly also helps. I can't get worked up over what people think of the last episode because I have to make a new episode for the next Friday (and sometimes two or three episodes in a week.)

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Sure.

I'll provide a little context and backstory so this isn't solely a shameless plug.

So I'm a freelance designer that mostly focuses on musical projects (like album covers and what-not). I've always been creative but it wasn't until high school where I started out by hopping on the tag/signature bandwagon you'd see on those anime forums. I was getting tired of seeing the shitty ones that were so stereotypical and prevalent so I took it upon myself to do better than those and keep improving. It would eventually lead me to taking some design classes in college and eventually loving the design field.

I did that for a while but for several years I went through a deep depression where I found myself unable to do anything creative. I just stalled and even when I tried to do SOMETHING, I just stared at a blank canvas/document for hours until I decided to do something else. I literally lost my passion for art for a very long time. Eventually I slowly but surely started getting my life back on track and finally after so long I was able to produce content. I was so stuck with the mindset of "I need to create something" which eventually (and thankfully) gave way to the mindset of "I WANT to create something". As of right now I'm hitting my stride when it comes to producing designs and I even successfully did a challenge of recreating 30 album covers in 30 days. I've even had a few album/single cover commissions that are now viewable on Spotify and Apple Music and I'm extremely gratified by having the opportunity to do this.

So to give you folks an example, here's a recent design that kinda means a lot to me:

The lyric "I want to dream" is taken from the song "Dream House" from Deafheaven. It means a lot to me on a personal level even if the context in the song itself is completely different. For a long time I (and honestly I still do to some extent) struggled with self-doubt and anxiety to the point where I stopped being able to create. I couldn't "dream" so to speak and after a long hiatus, I decided that it was time to be okay with desiring creativity again.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That last one got printed in the Marvel Halo Graphic Hardcover didn't it?

Yes. One of the editors offered me a wad of cash for the original because he collected Outisder Art from like, talented circus Elephants and Coprophiliac Secure Patients. I told him he already had the original and he said, "Wait, you drew this as a jpeg in Paint?" I said "NO! I used the pencil tool in Photoshop." It's a TIFF now!"

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I think the trick is to stop caring what other people think, and just make stuff. Then when you've made it and uploaded it jump straight into the next thing. That way if people don't care for one thing you've already moved onto the next one so criticism of one doesn't bother you because you're too damn busy to care.

Yeah, I think you're right on this. Where I get stuck though is that "stop caring what other people think" is like that "draw two circles, now draw the rest of the owl" meme for me. >.<

Hickbilly

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I run a home built, completely from scratch D&D campaign. All the maps, the history, the gods, three different races, all written and designed in my spare time. It's probably as in depth and detailed as any big name fantasy world like Dragonlance or Ravenloft. Everyone I've ever played with loves it, and keeps me motivated to keep adding to it.

But I've refused to put it online. I prefer to keep it close to home, and with a small group of people. The last thing I want is for others to steal my work and pervert it.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
A tinder match asked me to write a villanelle about Trump so, uh, I did

It's obvious that Trump's a piece of shit
He acts like he's all that and bags of chips
But really, though, he's just a massive tit

This stupid prick does not know when to quit
Except when canc'lling all his foreign trips
The world all knows that Trump's a piece of shit

He wants you to believe he's such a hit
He's saved this slowly dying sinking ship
He suckles us upon his massive tit

I can't believe this dumbass hypocrite
Has got so many morons in his grip
The sane ones know that Trump's a piece of shit

You'd think a woman's nothing but a slit
The way the words come oozing from his lip
He looks and all he sees is massive tits

It's our world, now, and Trump just doesn't fit
With us of life and love and fellowship
So piss off, Trump, you're just a piece of shit
You have no heart behind your massive tit

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I run a home built, completely from scratch D&D campaign. All the maps, the history, the gods, three different races, all written and designed in my spare time. It's probably as in depth and detailed as any big name fantasy world like Dragonlance or Ravenloft. Everyone I've ever played with loves it, and keeps me motivated to keep adding to it.

But I've refused to put it online. I prefer to keep it close to home, and with a small group of people. The last thing I want is for others to steal my work and pervert it.
This is honestly what I'm hoping to eventually end up doing with the world I've been using in some of my fantasy stories. I've got four friends who are DEEP into Pathfinder and D&D and always talk about how much fun it is getting introduced to completely original content. Plus I grew up reading Dragonlance and the story behind how all of it came together always made me want to put together something similar.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the post I needed. I would love to create something. Perhaps I'll start writing in between studying but my goal is to learn the piano and possibly create a tune on my own or something. I might be able to afford a keyboard at least.

Jan 13, 2018
I see a lot of author posts in here! 😸

I narrate audiobooks live on Mixer, with Sundays set aside for random short stories. I'd be delighted to cold-read your short-form narratives & poems on #ShortStorySunday. I check my email for new PDFs about 15 minutes before I go live. If you'd like to share a piece (max 5k words or so) with our Teen-rated audience, hit me up via DM for my email addy. 😎📚

This is how I create something, and share it. 🌌

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017

Shizzlee

Oct 27, 2017
The youtube channel is coming along. Not much to say there. Nine years of nothing really amazing. I guess it's my main way of creating content and sharing it, but it's just gaming videos so it's whatever.

I've attempted writing on and off over the years. I started on a series of three books, but stuff keeps getting in the way and eating into my time. I need to dedicate more time to it and finish the first drafts.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I make my Mum proud and laugh and help her out emotionally. Otherwise, all I make is a mess. By mess, I mean a mess in the household crap everywhere kind of a mess. Life is far too short to be tidying all the time. Also, it's too long to be tidying all the time too.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I make a podcast. We only get about 50ish listeners per episode, but I like hanging out with my buddies to record and I've actually found some anime to watch in the recording of it. And getting emails from listeners is super validating, even if we've only gotten 2 or 3 now.

You should be able to download it wherever you get podcasts (shameless plug).

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Been trying to write a sci-fi novel for a while now. It started with the idea of trying to blend sci-fi with magic, to show the ascent of a normal world to a surreal, fantastical one.

The basic premise is that, in the far future, genetic engineering becomes commonplace, but it raises a whole bunch of moral questions, and, as you would imagine, a group of Genetic Supremecists comes into being. Long story short is that they lose the war on Earth, and are exiled into space in massive interstellar ships meant to help them find life somewhere else. They eventually find a planet that they think is unihabitable due to its constant electrical storms, but they were mistaken - the "electric storms" that their equipment registered were a new kind of energy they'd never seen before, one that's harmless to the human body.

So they go back to Earth's galactic space (essentially "Federation Space" if you want to use a Star Trek analogy), where this planet is, hoping to sneak onto it without Earth's government noticing. But Earth's government can track their journey through negative space, and they're there lying in wait for them. They shoot down all seven massive fleet ships, which crash down onto the planet below.

One of the ships survives relatively intact. These neo-nazi analogues find two amazing things about this planet; one, there is a group of natives that are 100% identical to humans in every way. Two, the "electric storms" allow previously intangible things, like the spirit when it leaves the body, to become real and tangible, to a degree.

The premise of the story is basically these "Celestians" oppressing the natives the same way they wanted to do to what they considered the "inferior," non-genetically enhanced humans on Earth, and the natives fighting back against them. The mystery of why "humans" exist on this planet is one of the major points of the story. The natives have things like shamans that can commune with the dead, and the Celestians quickly realize this, and try to harness the power of the spirit to attain eternal life. To that end, they set up camps and perform terrible experiments on the natives, all while maintaining a guise of benevolent overseers.

The natives eventually discover a way to commune with the realms beyond and contact angelic spirits capable of altering their bodies to use "magic." This is meant to raise questions as to whether this makes them any different from those that they're fighting. If I ever get to a sequel, I'll tackle that question head-on, but for now it's an "us vs. them" story, inspired by current events in our world.

This is a mega short summary that's leaving out a lot.

Here's my most recent excerpt, a group of two Celestians talking about their first experience with ghosts.

"Hey Barry, you ever see a ghost?"

Barry put his mug of coffee on the table. Yeah, he'd seen one. Him, a man of science and pragmatism, could now definitively say he had seen someone's spirit escape their body with their own two eyes.

"Once," he said.

Ronnie sipped his own drink, a special lager unique to the diner where they went every Friday after work. Barry couldn't drink tonight. He'd be going back to work tomorrow. Understaffed, they'd told him. The lab needed more help as it was getting up and running. Quarril Labs, they were going to call it, named after the man who'd discovered the way to slow down the degradation of cellular material and prolong death. Or was it the man who had unraveled the limbic system of the brain, successfully mutating the cerebellum and allowing better memory retention? He didn't remember. And right now, he didn't care.

"I saw one today," he said.

Barry picked up his coffee and swirled it around, watching it form a tiny whirlpool in his mug.

"First time?"

"Yeah."

They sat in silence for a moment.

"It was surreal. I saw him die. And I – I saw him looking at me, man. After he died. He didn't talk. He couldn't talk. But he just looked at me, and I just knew, I knew, he was asking me, 'why? Why did I have to die? Why didn't you do anything?'"

"How'd he die?" Barry asked, bluntly.

"Killed by a native. We didn't see them coming. We were supposed to be in a safe zone. No previous reports of attacks, you know? But he came at us out nowhere. Normal looking guy, dressed in normal clothes. His eyes, though, they were on fire, blazing with madness. Came at us, screaming about his family and his wife. I don't even know what he was trying to say. Just kept screaming something about 'my wife,' over and over again, asking us where she was, where is she, where is she. Took my buddy in a chokehold and slit his throat."

"Sorry to hear that."

Ronnie's eyes were sunken, his expression almost vacant. He was normally so bright, always smiling. Today, there was no brightness in his sky blue eyes. No joy in his voice.

"I wanted to kill him. I wanted to, but I didn't. I had my finger on the trigger, my eye down the barrel, looking right at his face. In the fire of his eyes, for a split second, I saw a bit more than madness. I saw rage. Hatred. And, maybe it was because he kept screaming about his family, but I knew he felt something, something very painful. I shot him in the leg instead. I restrained him and sent him away to be taken prisoner. But then I saw it. About three minutes after, like they tell you. My buddy rose, but his body stayed on the ground."

Ronnie shook his head, his eyes becoming wider as he spoke.

"Transparent. Ethereal blue. He looked at me, right at me. I wanted to be afraid. You feel something in the air when it happens, something so real and so striking that it feels realer than real. But when I looked at him, I could see that he was afraid. Way more than I could be. Afraid and confused. I tried to tell him I'm sorry, I didn't see him, I couldn't stop him from coming, but all he could do was look at me and ask me, in that way he did without saying anything, 'why? Why am I dead?' And a couple of minutes later, he vanished into the air like mist in the wind."

He took a long drink of his favorite lager, leaning back in the soft tan cushions of the booth.

"Was your experience anything like that?" He asked.

Barry looked into his coffee whirlpool. The memory was coming back to him. He hadn't talked to anyone about it in a while, because he wanted to forget.

"No," he answered.

"It was… my mom."

Ronnie's eyes instantly perked up, and a look of regret formed on his face.

"Oh. Shit, man. Sorry for asking."

Barry shook his head.

"No… no, it's ok. We had just gotten out of our escape pods, after the crash. My mom sent me ahead. You remember what it was like, back then. Everyone scrambling to make sense of what had happened. Everyone struggling to pull themselves back together."

"Yeah," Ronnie said, taking another sip.

"It was a few days before we found her pod. Something went wrong when it ejected from the ship. I don't know what it was. The door didn't close right or got damaged on impact, something like that. Either way, the insulation systems didn't work like they were supposed to, and the impact was fatal. The only thing keeping her alive were the pod's emergency medical systems. So when we opened the door, she… she didn't make it very far before she died."

"Whew," Ronnie said. "I never knew you had to go through that."

"I held her in my arms as she died. I remember, I was seventeen. I looked her in the eyes and she held her hand up to my face, stroking me, so happy to see me. She was so happy to see me alive, so happy to see that I made it. But me? I was afraid. I finally found her, only to feel her hand fall as her spirit left her body. I found her only to lose her, for good this time."

He stopped swirling his drink and put it down on the table.

"Back then, we didn't know. We couldn't have known. So I sat there, holding her body, crying for about three minutes, like you said. At first, I thought I was hallucinating. I saw her standing over me. I saw her looking at me with that same loving expression, that same relief that I was safe. For a moment, I felt comforted. I felt like she was still with me. I would have gotten up to hug her if I wasn't still holding her increasingly colder body in my hands. I've never felt such a strange cocktail of emotions, Ronnie. Not ever in my life before or since. I was the one who was confused back then. All I could do was look at her, and listen to her, in that way you listen to ghosts who don't talk to you but feel at you, and listen to her tell me that everything was ok. It was when her ghost vanished into the air, it was at that moment that I felt afraid."

He gripped the mug of his drink, feeling its warmth, watching the steam rise from its surface.

"She's the one who pressured me to pursue genetics. To be just like my father. She's the reason I am who I am. I wonder what she'd think of this crazy world we found. I wonder what she'd think of ghosts."
It's probably garbage, but it makes me feel good to express myself.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I used to create Player Houses for Skyrim several years ago, because I couldn't really stand my current situation in life, and having freely available tools to express myself in a new medium was very liberating.

Unfortunately, creating something for free that resonates with people - but is a mod - runs the risk of you endlessly doing customer-service to strangers that ends up being indistinguishable to "real, paid work". I think the level of complexity I aimed for in my mods, and my very novice-proficiency at the tools available, made me do a lot of newbie-errors, that I still struggle to fix.

It's been a while since I've "been creative" like I was at the height of my Skyrim-modding phase. But I have recently been tinkering with Shadowrun (steam-games) portraits, for a new run.

The impetus to all this was that I was going to gear up for a Copenhagen-to-New-York flight, and - hey! - I was impressed with the "Dragonfall" release from Harebrained Schemes, and I had yet to play through Hong Kong, so why not dive into that adventure with my own, small, aesthetic poking.

Well, it turned out that life happened, no gaming was done, and I watched three in-flight movies and ate bad vegetarian food instead.

Still, I've been poking around with a vanilla portrait that I "could save" ever since. In-game portrait representation is interesting as a subject all to itself, and my aesthetic has changed drastically from when I was a teen, to what I am now.

I used to gravitate toward traditionally attractive, high-cheekbone, "elven" ideals of beauty, but as I get older, the more comfortable I get with adjusting those ideals (to, honestly what I actually look like). Practically - for me - it usually means exaggerating the nose in a way that hews closer to a middle-eastern profile/"jew"-nose, rather than the pinched european ideal, and also making a "weak", sharp chin.

I mention these details, because it's interesting to realize how your own aesthetic keeps popping up in your work, and also how they tend to change as time progresses. It's been sorta interesting how my first impulse - at 36 - when it comes to quick-editing a male portrait, is always to make the nose more bulbous, beak-like, and pronounced.

Anyway, here is a link to the Shadowrun portraits I've been editing, with original to compare.

EDIT: Oh, if anyone wants the PSD-file for the "hooded guy", send me a PM. I've done pretty extensive separations, with a lot of options (hair-color, clothing, face-makeup, etc) already done and ready to go. Just this evening I made a pretty nice "colored make-up strip" that runs across his face, over the eye-line, in a variety of colors, that makes him look even more shaman-like.

Last edited: