• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Jolie King and Mark Firkin were busted in July and have been locked up since then in the country's notoriously harsh Evin Prison".
Did you read the OP? They are being held in Evin Prison, a place where people are tortured.

I didn't read the quote in the OP because I assumed it was a sample of the linked article.

I clicked on the article in the OP and the words "notoriously harsh" are nowhere to be found, so I don't know what Evin prison is famous for.

The OP probably shouldn't be quoting stuff without providing the source?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do if you walk into a building that's on fire.
So if someone goes into a burning building to, idk, try and save their child, or an old person, they deserve to be burned? No one deserves harm like that. The idea that you think someone could 'deserve' something like just exposes how fucking devoid of empathy you are. It's gross.

Mar 3, 2019
Couple held in a pretty severe prison where people are tortured without due process, as government doesn't acknowledge their existence there.

ERA: White privilege, they had it coming, that's what they get for being liberal and white and naive. Good old hypocrisy and victim blaming

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't read the quote in the OP because I assumed it was a sample of the linked article.

I clicked on the article in the OP and the words "notoriously harsh" are nowhere to be found, so I don't know what Evin prison is famous for.

The OP probably shouldn't be quoting stuff without providing the source?
The OP provides context about what Evin Prison's reputation is like. Someone else posted the wikipedia page for the prison. Go read the provided information before spouting off your ignorance.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
American/Anglo countries have an unfortunate binary approach to justice and punishment that says someone is either blameless and deserves nothing to happen to them or someone has responsibility and deserves anything that happens to them. These kids were dumb but they don't deserve to be tortured. It is, however, a clear case of people taking for granted the legal and ethical protections they enjoy under developed democracies, and this is definitely dumb and a case of privilege.

Someone walking into a burning building doesn't deserve being burned, but it is pretty fucking stupid.

I dunno tho. I am going to get in the asshole line here.

Right now Australia has a migrant problem where they are treated like animals, have treated their indigenous population horrendously for hundreds of years since it's founding until now, and is probably the only Western country that can go to toe against the US for it's conservative leaning politics.

They KNOW that those breaking the rules outside of the dominant culture suffer greatly, its just in their privilege they think that everywhere THEY are the dominant culture and don't have to worry about those others. THAT's the problem. Even the lifestyle they are selling is bullshit, could a monied African travel the way they travel and feel 'as safe'?

A homegirl of mine is born Somali but was raised in the West, huge fun party girl 100% assimilated with no accent. When she took a job in Dubai her ex-pat co-workers could get shitfaced, wear whatever, and break local cultural norms no problem. But her first day there the cab driver recognized immediately she was an African Muslim and basically threatened her in Arabic to behave better or else in front of her unknowing co-workers driving from the airport.

The reason why these stories are so unnerving is that it showcases the indifference to struggle that these people encounter traveling AND in their own countries. It's hard not to see them as bad people because it's hard to buy that they are that unknowingly ignorant when they come from countries that have their own history of oppression.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure they don't deserve to be tortured but it's mostly live laugh love Instagram blog white folk who love rolling into foreign countries acting like they own the place. Please.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you walk into a burning building you do deserve to be burned, that's why you don't walk into a burning building. The only people who should do that are trained professionals who are wearing appropriate gear and know the dangers of walking into said building.
The disconnect comes from the word "deserve". It is statistically possible to die in a plane crash but no one deserves to die in a plane crash. Something being statistically probable (like being burned in a burning building) or improbable (like being on a plane that crashes) does not mean people should accept or even cheer for someone suffering the statistic distribution of consequence. Words like "deserve" and "should" imply a moral obligation rather than a purely logical one, at least to me.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty upsetting. No one deserves to be where they are now. Hope they are spared from rape/torture...but doubt it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reason why these stories are so unnerving is that it showcases the indifference to struggle that these people encounter traveling AND in their own countries
I was going to write something about this angle but got sidetracked by the "victim blaming" discussion. Yes, I agree. The idea that a lot of white liberal kids are blind to their own privilege is a symptom of the systemic blindness that continues to brush aside the rights and dignity of non-whites, who're under threat every day in these countries that coddle and ensconce their wealthy and white citizens. If they can't even recognize their own privilege how can they recognize if someone else's privilege is under attack in an ostensibly liberal society?

Oct 25, 2017
For a forum that is really against victim blaming... there sure is a lot of victim blaming here.

Why do we find it so easy to just insult innocent people without knowing about the circumstances? If a friend or relative of yours live blogging their travels were suddenly arrested in harsh conditions and not heard of, would you say they "had it coming" for flying a drone? Regardless of being "idiotic" or "doing it for the gram" or "white privilege" people here sometimes are so hypocritical it makes me actually face palm whenever I wander into these off topic threads.
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
They did a stupid thing , but they don't deserve to be imprisoned/possibly tortured for it, some of you people need some therapy.

Therapy?...You go ahead and tell your future kids to go break the rules in other countries and everything will be fine and they won't go to jail. You and your kid are the ones who are going to need therapy. There is a reason why most of us in this forum wouldn't do that shit. And it's not because we're scary cats or something.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For a forum that is really against victim blaming... there sure is a lot of victim blaming here.

Why do we find it so easy to just insult innocent people without knowing about the circumstances? If a friend or relative of yours live blogging their travels were suddenly arrested in harsh conditions and not heard of, would you say they "had it coming" for flying a drone? Regardless of being "idiotic" or "doing it for the gram" or "white privilege" people here sometimes are so hypocritical it makes me actually face palm whenever I wander into these off topic threads.

Agreed.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno tho. I am going to get in the asshole line here.

Right now Australia has a migrant problem where they are treated like animals, have treated their indigenous population horrendously for hundreds of years since it's founding until now, and is probably the only Western country that can go to toe against the US for it's conservative leaning politics.

They KNOW that those breaking the rules outside of the dominant culture suffer greatly, its just in their privilege they think that everywhere THEY are the dominant culture and don't have to worry about those others. THAT's the problem. Even the lifestyle they are selling is bullshit, could a monied African travel the way they travel and feel 'as safe'?

A homegirl of mine is born Somali but was raised in the West, huge fun party girl 100% assimilated with no accent. When she took a job in Dubai her ex-pat co-workers could get shitfaced, wear whatever, and break local cultural norms no problem. But her first day there the cab driver recognized immediately she was an African Muslim and basically threatened her in Arabic to behave better or else in front of her unknowing co-workers driving from the airport.

The reason why these stories are so unnerving is that it showcases the indifference to struggle that these people encounter traveling AND in their own countries. It's hard not to see them as bad people because it's hard to buy that they are that unknowingly ignorant when they come from countries that have their own history of oppression.
This is all true but none of it justifies the imprisonment and possible torture of these two individuals. You can recognize the broader societal problem and still have empathy for these two human beings who are likely being subjected to horrible treatment and conditions.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is all true but none of it justifies the imprisonment and possible torture of these two individuals. You can recognize the broader societal problem and still have empathy for these two human beings who are likely being subjected to horrible treatment and conditions.

Ehh, the problem is that we are supposed to see the humanity in these two individuals because they are in the protected class that shit like this isn't supposed to happen to as far as the West is concerned.

Right next door to their torturing there are hundreds of others getting tortured that nobody cares about, neither did they as they decided to make a tourism trip in a facist state.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Absolutely fucking ridiculous responses in this thread.

Victim blaming at its finest.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It's a lot like that one missionary that got killed by a remote tribe. Like, sure, nobody deserves to be shot to death with arrows. But, like, people specifically said 'Don't go to that island because you'll be killed'. Like, don't go to Iran because their human rights records isn't great. Don't go down that one street because you'll be mugged and stomped on.

Going to that island, going to Iran, or going down that sketchy street to prove that 'people are just overreacting and I'll prove them wrong' makes it really hard to be sympathetic to them.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
uh..what?

how is someone seeking refuge comparable with someone committing a crime while on vacation
Because you are justifying the dehumanization and inhumane treatment of people on the basis of an arbitrary 'crime' committed. The 'crime' here was using a drone to film themselves. The 'crime' migrants are committing is crossing the border. Neither one justifies the kind of treatment they are receiving. That's the point

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Because you are justifying the dehumanization and inhumane treatment of people on the basis of an arbitrary 'crime' committed. The 'crime' here was using a drone to film themselves. The 'crime' migrants are committing is crossing the border. Neither one justifies the kind of treatment they are receiving. That's the point

dude I'm not saying their treatment and torture is justified

I empathize with them

I'm just saying regardless of that...people need to STOP DOING DUMB SHIT IN STATES WHERE YOU HAVE NO REAL RIGHTS

equating someone coming from a life of privilege doing something blatantly inane like flying drones in iran or stealing in north korea with migrants fleeing death is fucking ludicrous

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Therapy?...You go ahead and tell your future kids to go break the rules in other countries and everything will be fine and they won't go to jail. You and your kid are the ones who are going to need therapy. There is a reason why most of us in this forum wouldn't do that shit. And it's not because we're scary cats or something.
I think you are confused, I agree they did a stupid thing, but when I say people need therapy , I mean the people saying "idiots, they deserve whatever horrific thing is happening to them" , that should not be a normal train of though, yes , they should have researched the laws better, but saying people deserve to be hurt/tortured is not healthy or normal...so yea, those kinds of people need some therapy.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh, the problem is that we are supposed to see the humanity in these two individuals because they are in the protected class that shit like this isn't supposed to happen to as far as the West is concerned.

Right next door to their torturing there are hundreds of others getting tortured that nobody cares about, neither did they as they decided to make a tourism trip in a facist state.
I care about them all. All you are doing here is saying 'people dehumanize others so it's ok to dehumanize these people'. No, it isn't. We should see the humanity in everyone.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives generally don't visit these countries because they're deathly afraid of them already, only liberals do.
You act like most liberals are like this. It comes across as a lame attempt at both siding. Like this is a Fox News argument.

I don't think any liberal is in favor with what they did.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dude I'm not saying their treatment and torture is justified

I empathize with them

I'm just saying regardless of that...people need to STOP DOING DUMB SHIT IN STATES WHERE YOU HAVE NO REAL RIGHTS

equating someone coming from a life of privilege doing something blatantly inane like flying drones in iran or stealing in north korea with migrants fleeing death is fucking ludicrous
I think you misunderstood, I was simply explaining the comparison, not accusing you specifically of anything.

You could literally make the same argument about migrants. You could say "they knew Trump was president and that he wanted to treat central and south American migrants inhumanely. They shouldn't have come here knowing that". Now obviously there is a difference between having the ability to choose to travel to a country willingly and being by famine/war/crime etc. to go somewhere else for safety. But the rhetoric is similar.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
If people jump the fence in a zoo to pet a tiger or lion and get mauled, are people who are calling those people utter idiots also assholes?

Don't do dumb shit where you know you can get seriously fucked ffs.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You act like most liberals are like this.
No, I'm saying only someone raised in a liberal bubble could conceive of this. Like I said:
No one who regularly experiences oppression goes around acting the fool like this.
Which is why non-whites from the same countries and cultures don't pull dumb stunts like this. It is the difference between being raised in a developed nation and understanding how privilege stratifies people according to their skin color/sex/wealth... and not understanding it and just thinking these were protections given to you by the universe and would follow you across the world.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
"Why is it always the victims fault!"

ok. I'm blaming the victim.

now that's out of the way -- can we agree that nobody should be doing this kind of risky stuff in states where they could get tortured and abused as a result? thanks

I'm not spitting on them. I don't find glee in their situation. I just wish people would stop doing this kind of shit

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I care about them all. All you are doing here is saying 'people dehumanize others so it's ok to dehumanize these people'. No, it isn't. We should see the humanity in everyone.

Im saying the opposite. My bigger point is the same willful cultural ignorance that got them in jail is the same cultural ignorance that perpetrates similar fucked up crimes in their own country, on top off the fact it gives a co-sign to the fucked up things happening in these countries because omfg guys the views out here are gorgeous, you should totally come out here and ignore the female instagram influencers that get shot up for not being pious enough!

By the very nature of the trip, it wasn't an innocent one.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Refugees, especially the very desperate ones, often know what they're getting into. They consider the risks of being turned away/incarcerated greater than the risks of staying wherever they are, often due to factors like famine, poverty and violence. It is a calculated decision, and not at all like petting a tiger or breaking laws in totalitarian states.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm saying only someone raised in a liberal bubble could conceive of this. Like I said:
Ignorance exists regardless of political ideology. You're generalizing too much. You keep acting like everyone with "white privilege" goes around and does this meanwhile the people with actual white prividge is funding the shit that leads to all the hostility and Iran and the rest of the Middle East. You can use any term but "liberal bubble". It's inaccurate and it sounds like something Fox News would say.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im saying the opposite. My bigger point is the same willful cultural ignorance that got them in jail is the same cultural ignorance that perpetrates similar fucked up crimes in their own country, on top off the fact it gives a co-sign to the fucked up things happening in these countries because omfg guys the views!

By the very nature of the trip, it wasn't an innocent one
The trip can be not 'innocent' by your measure and the result still be incredibly horrible for these people.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Refugees, especially the very desperate ones, often know what they're getting into. They consider the risks of being turned away/incarcerated greater than the risks of staying wherever they are, often due to factors like famine, poverty and violence. It is a calculated decision, and not at all like petting a tiger or breaking laws in totalitarian states.
That's not why the comparison was made, the comparison was made because the rhetoric and victim blaming from those seeking to dehumanize the victims is similar and relies on similar justifications. Sure, being a refugee is a calculated risk...but that doesn't give the argument "you broke the law, now we get to torture you" any more legitimacy. It doesn't have legitimacy in this case either.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I would go 'haha stupid people' but then I remember I'm not a big expert on the laws of the countries I visit either. I would hope I'd be a bit smarter than this.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ignorance exists regardless of political ideology.
I'm saying this specific kind of ignorance is grown in liberal cultures. The kind of ignorance that's grown in conservative cultures would prevent them from ever setting foot outside their "home", or make sure they're always around "white like-minded people", prevents them from flying drones in Iran.

You're taking this way too personally. I'm not saying all liberals are ignorant and dumb. I'm saying liberal ideology has its own idiosyncratic blind spots that consistently lead to outcomes like this one.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they're released safely soon, and hopefully they learned something from this whole ordeal

Status
Not open for further replies.