• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I have another two things:

The "metroidvanian" gamedesign destroys otherwise great games. There are so many games I'd love to play, with interesting mechanics and nice artstyles. But I hate to play a level and constantly see hints and areas I cannot reach yet and have to come back later after the game decides to give me the ability I need. Even if the backtracking is optional, I think the whole time about what I missed. It's frustrating that so many indie games rely on that formula.

A poorly implemented stealth system for whatever reason.

Only played TNO, so can only talk about that game:
Agree! Though I think the stealth system itself is fine, it's the implementation that bugs me. The stealth sections are designed to make you feel badass and stealthy. Enemies often face the other direction, for an easy takedown. I call it placebo stealth.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
90% of developer sob stories about how publishers FORCED their games to have bugs/microtransactions/cut content are complete fabrications.

Actually this is more fact than opinion.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Rainbow Six Siege is the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played. I got it back in July and no matter what I play I end up coming back to it. Despite all of its warts it still has the best moment to moment gameplay of any multiplayer shooter.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying my best to find Horizon: Zero Dawn fun but I just can't. It looks gorgeous but knowing it's open world and most likely you'll need to collect like 500 random items or whatever at some point to get an upgrade really turns me off, also, I'm awful at doing combat and the forced stealth is just meh.

Bought the game in april or something, I think I'll just sell this thing and be done with it.

Deleted member 8696

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chile
Bloodborne is okay and cool sometimes, but nothing more than that (I can say the same about the Last of Us). Never understood its praise and I cringe everytime I see one.

Galaxy 1 >>>> Galaxy 2

Last edited:

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Ybarra's reaction to what happened to something we all know about was to say that he was "glad to see things finally burning to ashes". He could have chosen to publicly condemn the deporable actions of a certain individual, but instead he chose to get happy because a strongly pro-Sony forum was in shambles. Priorities, I guess.

I honestly lost any respect for the man and the company he represents. Nobody from Microsoft issued any statement condemning Ybarra's behavior and he didn't back down on his claims. Sorry, but I'm not supporting anything you represent, Mr. Ybarra.

You honestly think he was happy that place self destructed because it was "strongly pro-Sony?" And because of that, you're taking such a dramatic and breathless anti-Microsoft stance now? That is... quite something.

Puweyxil

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still trying my best to find Horizon: Zero Dawn fun but I just can't. It looks gorgeous but knowing it's open world and most likely you'll need to collect like 500 random items or whatever at some point to get an upgrade really turns me off, also, I'm awful at doing combat and the forced stealth is just meh.

Bought the game in april or something, I think I'll just sell this thing and be done with it.

I wasn't feeling it either, traded it for Ys VIII. My problems with H:ZD were due to finishing BotW just beforehand. After nearly 200 hours of being able to climb whatever I want and save whenever I want, it was difficult to adjust to not being able to do either one of those things.

Lost Soul

Oct 27, 2017

100% agreed. It started off interesting and I wanted to see where the story went, but it really drags on. I really wasn't a fan of the forced stealth either. Hated every Corruptor encounter.

RennerSage

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Japanese developers on average, for whatever reason, seem to have a greater fundamental understanding of combat mechanics than western developers

why though? i have no idea

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BoTW is overrated and in no way the best Zelda game.
I looooooved my time with BotW

Probably my 5th favorite Zelda game though. Best one is a very close call between Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Ocarina is probably better than BotW and maybe LttP too.

Japanese developers on average, for whatever reason, seem to have a greater fundamental understanding of combat mechanics than western developers

I agree.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
The Tomb Raider reboots are bland, uninspired games, with boring plots, and uninspired, run of the mill gameplay, the Uncharted series has been much more successful at creating fun adventure games with enjoyable gameplay, and fun plots with interesting characters.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I think I read somewhere that Japanese developers tend to conceive mechanics first, whereas Western developers tend to lead with the 'player experience'. It's the difference between, say, Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma.

Could be complete tosh, of course, but it seems to tally in a lot of cases.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
That Nintendo games tend to rate higher on reviews because of gaming nostalgia, not that they are bad games they are great, but sometimes they overate them.

Zinsky

Oct 27, 2017
Can't deal with old timey turned based combat. Tried to play FFVI based on countless recommendations and I can't get over the feeling of it being a chore. Story great or no, I am still doing the combat a majority of the time.

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV is probably the worst big budgeted game I've ever played next to Resident Evil 6.

I love Alundra 2 and feel like people hate it solely because it wasn't anything like Alundra 1.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Currently playing Uncharted Lost Legacy and while I am still in the beginning, I feel that there is still not enough combat. Too much linear climbing, and boring puzzles. So many puzzles where you have to push or rotate shit. That shadow puzzle in chapter 5? I think it was chapter 5. God I was wishing for an option to skip that shit. I usually like puzzles but I feel like the pacing isn't really good in this game.

Loved Uncharted 1-3 but the series is starting to become boring for me which feels really bad. Still have no problem replaying UC2+3, sometimes even 1.

Characters and storytelling are so great but the pacing just sucks, especially for replays. Well I will finish LL first before making a final comparison between it and UC4 and UC1-3.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Tomb Raider reboots are bland, uninspired games, with boring plots, and uninspired, run of the mill gameplay, the Uncharted series has been much more successful at creating fun adventure games with enjoyable gameplay, and fun plots with interesting characters.
Agreed. TR games are lifeless, contrived and emotionally shallow to me. They are competent in terms of being a game you can play, but that's about it.

There are a fair number of games like that, where all I can say about them is "there are objectives that can be completed". There's no innate joy in them.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

Agree, except for the the gameplay, which was fun for me. But the characters, writing and the story were just bad.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The Dark Souls series is far too hyped and is basically a generic fantasy game with clunky controls whereby it's expected that you repeat the same part of the level/game over & over until you get it right. For those with lots of time on their hands, that might be enjoyable but for those who have other things in life to do, I'll stick to a game that can be progressed at a decent rate whilst still not holding the gamers hand.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
- GTA 5 & Assassin's Creed : Black Flag were not interesting for me and failed to keep me hooked. This is essentially the case with the latter since I hated naval battles in III and couldn't stand how central they were in IV.

- Crystal Dynamics is unfairly judged with how they are handling the Tomb Raider franchise. While I do agree that the original charm of the classics is gone the new games brought the series back to life and are tailored to the mainstream while still catering to old fans. In other words, CD is trying to make the best possible outcome in relation to today's gaming standards and market demands. Besides, the games are really good in their own merit.

- Bioshock Infinite & Batman Arkham Knight aren't as bad as people make them to be.

- I loved Sonic Heroes and Sonic Riders.

- I really liked Resident Evil 7 but I am very surprised it wasn't harshly received as an Outlast-like game or ' non-RE '. I know it's not an uncommon criticism but I expected it to be heavily emphasized. Instead, it went under the radar amidst the hype for the game ( I don't know if I'm making sense here).

dpunk3

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts, USA
- GTA 5 & Assassin's Creed : Black Flag were not interesting for me and failed to keep me hooked. This is essentially the case with the latter since I hated naval battles in III and couldn't stand how central they were in IV.
Yea I didn't enjoy GTA5 and ACBF was pretty subar, couldn't even finish it.

- Crystal Dynamics is unfairly judged with how they are handling the Tomb Raider franchise. While I do agree that the original charm of the classics is gone the new games brought the series back to life and are tailored to the mainstream while still catering to old fans. In other words, CD is trying to make the best possible outcome in relation to today's gaming standards and market demands. Besides, the games are really good in their own merit.
I love the new TR series, they're really good.

- Bioshock Infinite & Batman Arkham Knight aren't as bad as people make them to be.
I couldn't play AK at all (PC), so I think it was pretty bad. Infinite is a great game.

- I really liked Resident Evil 7 but I am very surprised it wasn't harshly received as an Outlast-like game or ' non-RE '. I know it's not an uncommon criticism but I expected it to be heavily emphasized. Instead, it went under the radar amidst the hype for the game ( I don't know if I'm making sense here).
I think people wanted a return to horror elements.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Agree, except for the the gameplay, which was fun for me. But the characters, writing and the story were just bad.
To me, the gameplay was just serviceable. It felt like they went through a checklist of things that "Need to be in a game", with no bearing on how well it fits, like the 50 different skill trees and the upgradeable weapons, weapons which lack any kind of punch and feel like pea shooters.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Been reading a couple of pages and I'm not triggered yet! You guys gotta do better than that!

Here's 2 from the top of my head that got me in trouble with my friends:

1. Final Fantasy X-2 is the best in the series. All the other FF games take themselves so seriously when the writing isn't so great to begin with. At least with X-2 you know the story is a joke and you focus on the amazing battle system.

2. I can't stand Mario Galaxy 1 or 2. The artstyle is so bland and boring. The pointer is so intrusive and annoying. And thinking about playing it with a wiimote makes my hair stand. The music is fantasic though.

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
To me, Tomb Raider is and always will be the ultimate example of "Sex sells."
From my point of view, the earlier games were absolute garbage, and the only reason they continued to be made was because of her "chest."
The more recent games might be better (I don't know, I haven't played them), but if it wasn't for the above, the series would have been abandoned and forgotten long ago.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you need to play a game to know if it's good. I've been playing games for 20 years. At this point I have enough experience to watch a video and identify the quality of the gameplay.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  • Gravity Rush is the best new IP this decade.
  • Naughty Dog make movies, not games.
  • Half Life 2 was never that good.
  • Nintendo are the best developer, it's not even close.
  • A lot of modern games seem to focus on making a movie rather than fun gameplay.
  • Music is more important than the story in a game.
  • Crafting in games is mindless busywork.

Last edited:

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Journey has very little substance. Uncharted 4 is the best game in the series and Naughty Dog's best game.

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I don't think you need to play a game to know if it's good. I've been playing games for 20 years. At this point I have enough experience to watch a video and identify the quality of the gameplay.

Agreed (although closer to 30 years for me).
My intuition on a game being good has almost always been right. And the few times I've gone against my intuition, it's mostly been a mistake.

Related to that: "Reviews" as they've been done online for the past 20 years are practically worthless. Most of them are far more concerned with telling you what a specific person (the reviewer) thought of the game, rather than actually describing the game so you could decide for yourself (which would be far more useful).