Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wowgold3-800x437.jpg

Money is cool, but you know what is also cool?

Fantasy Money

Let's take a moment to talk about how games has been always dealing with money and what they had achieved as a whole, from inerverse economies to just good looking money.

What is your favorite currency in games and why?

I will tell you mine;

World Of Warcraft 3 different currencies;

*very old voice* BACK IN VANILLA, having one silver was the shit, when you start leveling all the npcs will treat you like a vile hungry rat and pay you in copper, ugly money but when you progress, you will eventually get your first gold coin.

In wow it works like this

One gold = 100 silvers
One silver = 100 coppers

This system made me really take in consideration how much stuff needed and when I saw high end stuff and how many gold I needed in order to buy it, that whole experience gives you some perspective about progression as a whole.

I have two more but I want you guys to participate!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Souls.

They're important to several different systems in the game and even find ways to be tied to the environment in a way that felt fresh and interesting. Today no one thinks twice about a system like this but back in the DeS and DS days this was a huge "click" moment for the way games like this were designed.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coins and Purple Currency in Super Mario Odyssey

While not a really deep currency system its one of the few games where two types of currency are done right

Inturbulence

Oct 28, 2017
Munny in Kingdom Hearts.

Mostly because I love the name and how it's so satisfying to hit a Heartless (especially the round Sumo wrestler ones) and have then explode in a shower of money.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Coins and Purple Currency in Super Mario Odyssey

While not a really deep currency system its one of the few games where two types of currency are done right

I'd agree with this. I'd also apply it to Galaxy where Purple Coin challenges were separated from the old 100 coins for a star challenge in 64. Red Coins and Green Coins in 3D World are also pretty great.

Stayfone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Came into this thread wanting to say Gold, Silver, Copper from vanilla WoW. Well done OP.

I took a screenshot of my first piece of Gold ever back in vanilla, shit was legit hard to come by.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Choas Orbs really anything in Path of Exile cause of trading aspect and the usefulness

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dr976.gif

I just love rupee's.
They look appealing, are easy to collect and slashing pots in peoples homes to get em is always charming.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a dialogue in Nier: Automata going something like "C is the currency but we actually don't know what it stands for."? I found that to be pretty funny.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised more modern day/future games don't just use Bitcoins.

Think about it, no one fucking knows how much a Bitcoin will be with in a year much less 10 years. A game set in the distant future like Deus Ex selling you guns for 15 Or 200 Bitcoins could be totally plausible.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seconding Souls, as the reason they're used as currency is to try and hold onto one's humanity.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I enjoyed Metal Shards from Horizon. It's neat how it fits into the lore. Shards from the machines are your currency.

Also, Star Wars and Mass Effect using credits. I feel like that's the future currency when we become an intergalactic species and unite under one Earth. One single unit of currency to trade across the galaxy. Credits.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the 3483928904 currencies in Destiny

Also works with Fortnite.

Jokes aside, while nobody gave a shit and downloaded and unlimited credits save anyway, the first Trackmania's 1.0 had in interesting copper system, where getting medals for the tracks gave you credits to spend on track parts. You wanted to make crazy tracks? You had to learn how to drive those crazy (and often difficult) tracks. I think it made sense, albeit it risked limiting players' creative freedom, hence the fact most people cheated with a save (I know I did). They removed this in later updates and episodes, which ultimately was probably the right call, but the initial concept was cool as I was forced to learn the game's tricks before making my own shenanigans with the editor.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Souls.

They're important to several different systems in the game and even find ways to be tied to the environment in a way that felt fresh and interesting. Today no one thinks twice about a system like this but back in the DeS and DS days this was a huge "click" moment for the way games like this were designed.

fGRJ72a.png

Agree, even the mechanic of choosing to use the bosses souls for upgrades or for more currency is brilliant.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Gotta go with Military grade ammunition in the Metro series.

It works within the post-apocalyptic world in the series, and you have to decide whether to stockpile the ammo or use it in your wrapons. Otherwise you use the much lower damage home-made ammo.